Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Who is even on the SOC board?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: South Gallia to SOC?

Post by 4thgoal »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 pm Who is even on the SOC board?
I am not sure they is actually a board. I believe all of the ADs cast the votes based on input from their coaches and administrators.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Omega wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 pm Waverly wants out allegedly?
Waverly has more socioeconomic ties to Chillicothe and the SVC footprint than they do Portsmouth. Competition would likely be more favorable in the SVC than getting your brains beat out against Wheelersburg in most years. Yet Waverly should remember from their ill fated SEOAL venture 50 years ago that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. There is something to be said for stability.
SVC only logical move I can see for Waverly if they are looking around. FAC just doesn't seem like a stable conference (at least from the talk on here). With that being said, would SVC even be interested in adding Waverly?*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

The SVC has denied Waverly multiple times.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 pm The SVC has denied Waverly multiple times.
SVC won't accept a team and be at 9 schools. The SVC would have to add at least 4 teams and split or wait until a school leaves before Waverly even has a shot at joining.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:18 pm
Omega wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:50 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 pm Waverly wants out allegedly?
Waverly has more socioeconomic ties to Chillicothe and the SVC footprint than they do Portsmouth. Competition would likely be more favorable in the SVC than getting your brains beat out against Wheelersburg in most years. Yet Waverly should remember from their ill fated SEOAL venture 50 years ago that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. There is something to be said for stability.
SVC only logical move I can see for Waverly if they are looking around. FAC just doesn't seem like a stable conference (at least from the talk on here). With that being said, would SVC even be interested in adding Waverly?*
Honestly the SVC is fine as is. Although Unioto is a bit of a size outlier, the SVC has balance in enrollment, competition and travel.

Also if Waverly is indeed serious about building their football program so that they can make annual deep runs into the playoffs, the SOC 2 offers several non league openings for scheduling stronger opponents. The Tigers are better served standing pat.

Conference moves always are fun to discuss. It is also a shame Logan and South Gallia are victims of their size and location. Also with a struggling economy and the contagion, who knows what high school sport affiliations will look like in a couple of years. The only certainty will be the Burg's excellence in athletics.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

What’s wrong with 9 teams in a conference?

Burg 1
Waverly
Webster
West
Northwest
Oak hill
Beaver
Minford
Valley 9

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 pm The SVC has denied Waverly multiple times.
Waverly will likely join the FAC since the SOC are dying towns. Better for seeding and points playing D2 schools

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

4thgoal wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:40 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 pm Who is even on the SOC board?
I am not sure they is actually a board. I believe all of the ADs cast the votes based on input from their coaches and administrators.
I believe this is correct. Dave Stamm is the Secretary of the SOC which allows him to run the meetings and handle finances, etc.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:14 am
Waverly will likely join the FAC since the SOC are dying towns. Better for seeding and points playing D2 schools
Doubt it

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Wings Teaford wrote: ↑Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:31 pm
by Wings Teaford » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:31 pm
Good riddance to them and that Southern basketball coach they hired

Wow Teaford, here you are bad-mouthing your "buddy" the former girls basketball at Southern just like you did the one before him so you could get your "buddy" hired to coach your daughter. What a classy elected official you are!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Basketball
1 St. Joe
2 Symmes Valley
3 South Gallia
4 Green
5 Sciotoville
6 Notre Dame
7 Clay
8 Glenwood

Football
1 Green
2 Symmes Valley
3 Notre Dame
4 Sciotoville
5 South Gallia
6 Eastern

move Western with Eastern to the SOC2 in basketball... wouldn't that bad of a drive for everyone

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverly to the FAC makes most sense. Waverly competes in majority of sports and plays a lot of the FAC schools in non conf games in almost all sports. I don’t like the move to the SVC just because the only team near their size is Unioto

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:38 pm Waverly to the FAC makes most sense. Waverly competes in majority of sports and plays a lot of the FAC schools in non conf games in almost all sports. I don’t like the move to the SVC just because the only team near their size is Unioto
Football non league schedule for 2021 has the Tigers playing Miami Trace week 1, Unioto week 3, Chillicothe week 4 and Court House week 5. Still looking for a week 2 opponent.
Three FAC schools and one SVC. We used to play three SVC schools with Zane Trace and Piketon but only Unioto remains.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:56 pm I wonder when SG will go back into River Valley.
No. SG doesn't have a ton of kids, but I think RV is at max capacity.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I’m not sure the league would want 9 teams, but the OVC would be a good fit geographically for South Gallia. Just not sure how it would work out though. Biggest dilemma is having such a large difference in enrollment numbers. Having a D-II Gallia Academy vs D-4 SG would be interesting though.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
GoBrownies3
Waterboy

Post by GoBrownies3 »

SEO Sports wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:06 pm
Where would Waverly go? SVC? FAC? I don't think it is realistic. SVC would have to add more teams and split or have a team leave first. I don't like Waverly wants to be a part of switching leagues (FAC) and not winning many league titles. They can stay where they are and do that.
Ive never understood that either? When is the last time Waverly won an SOC title? Theoretically they should have at least one the last decade right? Anyone have any ideas?

Richard Noggin
Riding the Bench

Post by Richard Noggin »

GoBrownies3 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:23 pm
Where would Waverly go? SVC? FAC? I don't think it is realistic. SVC would have to add more teams and split or have a team leave first. I don't like Waverly wants to be a part of switching leagues (FAC) and not winning many league titles. They can stay where they are and do that.
Ive never understood that either? When is the last time Waverly won an SOC title? Theoretically they should have at least one the last decade right? Anyone have any ideas?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Without research, Waverly likely has one outright SOC2 bball championship (Kretzer?) and I think maybe shares of two others in the last decade. Honestly the SVC or FAC would not offer easier paths to championships for the Tigers.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Omega wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:18 pm

Without research, Waverly likely has one outright SOC2 bball championship (Kretzer?) and I think maybe shares of two others in the last decade. Honestly the SVC or FAC would not offer easier paths to championships for the Tigers.
2011 belonged to Burg
2012 belonged to Valley
Kretzers junior and senior years.

Return to “Boys Basketball”