Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #8

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #8

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:04 pm Logan @ the WarriorDome tomorrow night ! going to be a tough game for Warren due to the pressure Logan puts on the perimeter for 32 minutes and appears to be able to turn it up to even higher levels in the final minutes ... going to be interesting as to how the game is called - at Jackson the officials "let them play" a physical game, lots of hand checking etc. that was not called which helps Logan ... Warren has the size advantage even though Logan brings Caleb Alford a 6-6 soph ... inside for Warren is 6-5 Jake Baumgard sr varsity experience/ 6-4 Brayden Sallee jr/6-4 Kurt Taylor sr ... no Seth Dennis to handle the ball vs pressure for Warren ... Logan is quicker at 4 of the 5 positions ... quickness was on the side of Marietta when it almost knocked off Warren at Warren earlier in the season - quickness and outside shooting - Logan has both (shooting 60% from 3 vs Marietta at Marietta in beating MHS by 20+) ... should be a fun game ! may have to pay the $10 to watch this one so I can do the game napkin stats ...
I didn’t see great shooting. Myers is great snd Warren a better background for shooters than Jackson. Warren will cover the perimeter as well as Jackson. Marietta letting Logan hit 15 3’s seems crazy.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bhicks42 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:37 pm I guess you can stop crapping on Coal Grove. Quarantined. Got the call today.
Dang

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Gotta admit after being 30 last week and not only playing well at Waverly, but knocking them off at their place I thought West would have been Top 20

bhicks42
Freshman Team

Post by bhicks42 »

When do the coaches pick for seeding?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Westfan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:35 pm Gotta admit after being 30 last week and not only playing well at Waverly, but knocking them off at their place I thought West would have been Top 20
... the higher you get in the rankings the harder it is to take giant steps up the rankings as the TEAMS in front continue to win as well ... a GREAT win at Waverly obviously ... Waverly took the hit at the other end as well , over all 8 spot difference between the 2 teams from last week ... again it's not just about "a game" it's about being good over the long haul imo ... West is making believers not because of one game but the fact that they ARE IN FACT a VERY GOOD TEAM which has proven it over the last month of the season ... the fact that the Westsiders went into Waverly and came away with a W is evidence of the solid play over this last month plus of the season ... West beat Waverly, Waverly IS a top 12 team ... Portsmouth West is putting themselves in the conversation ... big week coming up for West taking on Wheelersburg at the Burg - looking forward to watching the livestream and doing a game rundown on that one ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bhicks42 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:47 pm When do the coaches pick for seeding?
Right before 46% of their toughest games are to be played lol

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 pm
BlindWhiteHat wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:11 pm St. Joseph is 7-3.

Wins: @Clay, @Rock Hill, Green, @Western, @East, @South Webster, @Coal Grove.

Losses: West, @Symmes Valley, @Green.
Need some home games lol
No doubt. The AD has heard about this long road trip from more than one fan. Lol.

As long as the full season plays out, SJ will get their share of hone games.

bhicks42
Freshman Team

Post by bhicks42 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:52 pm
bhicks42 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:47 pm When do the coaches pick for seeding?
Right before 46% of their toughest games are to be played lol
Haha sounds about right

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West played Wheelersburg great for a half the first game and turnovers killed them in the second half. Basketball is a game of matchups and Wheelersburg has height and very good perimeter shooting to go along with experience.. They may be able to pass around the zone a little better than shorter teams and if they're hot from the outside that will be a problem. But I expect a competitive game.

Hopefully West is back at full strength by then. Was down 2 Seniors against Waverly. A Starting Forward and scorer off the bench which made the win even more impressive.

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:04 pm Logan @ the WarriorDome tomorrow night ! going to be a tough game for Warren due to the pressure Logan puts on the perimeter for 32 minutes and appears to be able to turn it up to even higher levels in the final minutes ... going to be interesting as to how the game is called - at Jackson the officials "let them play" a physical game, lots of hand checking etc. that was not called which helps Logan ... Warren has the size advantage even though Logan brings Caleb Alford a 6-6 soph ... inside for Warren is 6-5 Jake Baumgard sr varsity experience/ 6-4 Brayden Sallee jr/6-4 Kurt Taylor sr ... no Seth Dennis to handle the ball vs pressure for Warren ... Logan is quicker at 4 of the 5 positions ... quickness was on the side of Marietta when it almost knocked off Warren at Warren earlier in the season - quickness and outside shooting - Logan has both (shooting 60% from 3 vs Marietta at Marietta in beating MHS by 20+) ... should be a fun game ! may have to pay the $10 to watch this one so I can do the game napkin stats ...

Amazing how the Warren guards get no respect except for Seth Dennis...pretty sure they will be just fine against the press.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Right there with you Pfloyd, think I just might have to buy the game tomorrow night. Have you heard when Dennis will be back?

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Amazing how the Warren guards get no respect except for Seth Dennis...pretty sure they will be just fine against the press.
Press - not to worry about, Warren breaks pressure in the back court as well as anyone ... on the ball pressure in the front court for 32 minutes - yes - it forces those not used to making decisions with the ball TO MAKE decisions with the ball ... If Warren gets the ball into the bigs where they don't have to put the ball on the floor - Logan will have a long night ... if the bigs have to put the ball on the floor to get into a position to score - it will be a good game ... Logan will put up 20+ threes a given ... defensive pressure on the perimeter from Warren will be a key factor for sure ... not "disrespecting" the other Warren guards at all - Chevalier is having a GREAT season defensively and offensively for Warren ... Warren plays outstanding D as a TEAM ... Dennis in the lineup allows everyone else for Warren to play their normal roles which is Chevalier scoring 15+ ppg, the bigs can catch the ball where they can score rather than having to put the ball on the floor to get where they need to be to score ... as I said it will be a good game to see how the strengths of each team plays out ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:12 pm Right there with you Pfloyd, think I just might have to buy the game tomorrow night. Have you heard when Dennis will be back?
... Whs95fan - he MAY be back ! - don't know if he practiced today or not ... if he's back not sure what kind of game shape he will be in ... Warren played all of last season without him, went to the districts ... I just feel that without Dennis it will be a closer game than with Dennis in the lineup which again does not slight the remaining Warren players at all - at least that's not the intent ...

bhicks42
Freshman Team

Post by bhicks42 »

I believe Fairland may be quarantined as well. Anyone know for sure?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bhicks42 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:30 pm I believe Fairland may be quarantined as well. Anyone know for sure?
... wow ... I was hoping I would be wrong - but I was thinking that the 2nd week into January would be a telling week with this being a couple weeks after the holidays - more teams being quarantined ... more and more games being postponed - going to start running out of days to play, might we see non-conference games canceled so that league games get played ? teams will be playing 3-4 games per week in the final couple of weeks of the season to get games in before the post season ... going to be a big discrepancy in games played when seeding takes place the first week in February (5th I believe is the Friday deadline) ...

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:40 pm Next week will be interesting for Fed Hock playing three games in 3 days after not playing at all for close to 2 weeks. Trimble thur, Belpre Fri, and then Athens Sat. The Bulldigs meanwhile will kick back & wait after Tues game vs Wellston. A lot of side stories & factors surrounding that AHS vs Fed game next weekend.
Side stories being Athens starts 3 Fed Hock kids lol? All 3 open enrolled but I think 2 live in the district now. Kids are still friends but leave no doubt...Fed wants to to thump big brother!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Some BIG games this coming week Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line:

Unioto @ Piketon ... Fri 1/22
Unioto @ Hillsboro ... Sat 1/23
Adena vs Zane Trace ... Tues 1/19
Adena @ Westfall ... Fri 1/22
Piketon vs ZT ... Sat 1/23
Athens @ Wellston .. Tues 1/19
Athens @ Fed Hock ... Sat 1/23
Vinton County @ Waverly Thursday 1/21
Belpre @ Fed Hocking Fri 1/22
Belpre vs Alexander Sat 1/23
Fed Hocking @ Trimble Thu 1/21
Peake @ Portsmouth Tue 1/19
South Point @ Gallia Tue 1/19
Ironton @ Peake Fri 1/22
South Point @ Wheelersburg Sat 1/23
Wheelersburg vs Portsmouth West Fri 1/22
Wheelersburg @ Valley Tues 1/19

... movement again in the rankings in the Week that IS - Week #9 ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Pfloyd, good job as usual.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

more BIG games in the Week that IS :

Jackson @ Waverly Wed 1/20
Jackson @ Hillsboro Fri 1/22
Hillsboro vs McClain Tue 1/19

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... other BIG games in the Week that IS ????

Return to “Boys Basketball”