Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #7

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #7

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:34 pm Looks like Peebles varsity and reserves are off till 1-29 due to covid. S**t!!
... dang Hoopie74 !!! I feel for the team, coaches and fans ... I'm afraid that there WILL be TEAMS in the post season who will have to forfeit games in the post season due to having to quarantine due to Covid-19 ... sorry to read this Hoopie ...
I know,right! If we do get to play the 29th,the day before will be our only practice. We practiced just about 10 times since Dec,18th or so. Our school stopped it all if one tests positive. So here we are.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Hoopie74 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:34 pm Looks like Peebles varsity and reserves are off till 1-29 due to covid. S**t!!
... dang Hoopie74 !!! I feel for the team, coaches and fans ... I'm afraid that there WILL be TEAMS in the post season who will have to forfeit games in the post season due to having to quarantine due to Covid-19 ... sorry to read this Hoopie ...
I know,right! If we do get to play the 29th,the day before will be our only practice. We practiced just about 10 times since Dec,18th or so. Our school stopped it all if one tests positive. So here we are.
Quit getting tested. They don’t do anything for you besides telling you to quarantine. So, if you are feeling symptoms...stay home. Easy peasy

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

HamPorter wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:40 pm

Quit getting tested. They don’t do anything for you besides telling you to quarantine. So, if you are feeling symptoms...stay home. Easy peasy
In know right. Our school tests them all the time. On a brighter note, Peebles lady Indians Jacey Justice scored her 2000th point tonight.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Whs95fan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:07 pm Anyone have a scouting report on Cambridge? I know Warren is suppose to play there tomorrow
3-3 record

4 returning starters from 10 win season

Senior - 6'6" Dominic Cork
Senior - 6'4" Sean Perkins
Senior - 6'4" Brock Valentine
Junior - 5'10" Caleb Bond
Freshman - 6'0" Colten Slaughter

Slaughter, Bond and Cork can shoot the 3. Perkins and Bond can get to the hole. Strong inside game with Valentine and Cork. Cork and Perkins are in Top 10 in CHS history with blocked shots. Cork is in Top 10 in CHS history with 3 pts made. Valentine is #3 in CHS history in FG% and Top 10 in CHS history in FT%. Perkins is in Top 10 in CHS history in assists.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The Westsiders travel up Rte 23 to Tiger town and come away with the W !!! wow ... 58-57 West ... THAT keeps the Senators moving up the rankings ... puts a stamp on their winning streak as totally legit ... I'm guessing that they score high on the barometer test by both themselves AND us cheap seat guys ...

... those who saw the game - did PWHS play as they have in this streak ... pressure defense ? trapping etc.? or did they have to adjust to Waverly's strengths? ... answers to these questions are big in my mind as to where West stands in their TEAM progress ... anyone ?

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Well Pfloyd, the Hornets gave the Dragons a dog fight! Held them to single digits in a quarter and had the lead in the 3rd. I know they still lost but this is “The Fairland Dragons” they were playing! Also your Favorite Purple People lost again. I’m sure it was due to questionable calls again, since that’s the only reason they beat CG even though we were up double digits throughout.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Except for the last 3 seconds where they played man, West played 1-3-1 trap the entire game just as they have been with a little 2-1-2 trap mixed in
Last edited by Westfan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lol

South Point has to be above Peake now don’t they?

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:03 pm Lol

You would think! Idk what the deep catch is with Peake! I mean they have great tradition but they don’t have the horses this year, kids keep leaving and I hear there are a lot of unhappy people. I know they are coached well but this isn’t the same talent I’ve seen from Chesapeake in a while.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

dime-a-dozen wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:01 pm Well Pfloyd, the Hornets gave the Dragons a dog fight! Held them to single digits in a quarter and had the lead in the 3rd. I know they still lost but this is “The Fairland Dragons” they were playing! Also your Favorite Purple People lost again. I’m sure it was due to questionable calls again, since that’s the only reason they beat CG even though we were up double digits throughout.
CG played an excellent 3 qtr game vs Fairland tonight ! I watched it, did napkin stats for it , will post those in the morning ... watched the Chesapeake game - the peake couldn't hit anything in the second half while Gallia hit everything including 2 Chesapeake players - one in the hospital ... watched the U beat Huntington and Warren beat Cambridge - the Warriors without Seth Dennis this week due to quarantine ...

... teams play themselves into the spots they deserve to be in based on what they do on the court ... rankings are week to week for an ENTIRE season ... South Point moves up ... Chesapeake moves down ... CG moves up with the Portsmouth win, the loss to Fairland doesn't hurt them, Gallia is a terrible matchup for Chesapeake with the 6-8 beast in the middle - the peake as I said goes down but I sure as heck "ain't" dropping them below Gallia and jumping GAHS 20 spots over the teams in between - Gallia didn't impress the committee vs South Point , nor vs the Peake ...

... thanks for the input ...

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

People have been questioning the Peake about players. I have said before that I know some reasons why they left but I will not put them on this site. It is not what you maybe thinking. Kids leave because of parents, playing time, outside influences and maybe because the coach yelled at them too much.
2 loses this year were double digit Fairland and Adena the other 4 were by a total of 15 points.
The Peake will be ok, and where pfloyd ranks them in the top or bottom, and yes we have been there I am not going to complain.
People complain all the time as they have nothing better to do. If the Peake wins they complain, if they lose they complain.
I am just a fat old guy who graduated from The Peake who cheers them on whether they win or lose and win continue to do so.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

dime-a-dozen wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:03 pm Lol

You would think! Idk what the deep catch is with Peake! I mean they have great tradition but they don’t have the horses this year, kids keep leaving and I hear there are a lot of unhappy people. I know they are coached well but this isn’t the same talent I’ve seen from Chesapeake in a while.
... I put effort in the preseason rankings as it gives ME a starting point for ALL of the teams in SEO - not just the top 10-15 teams - those teams are easy to rank ! ... it's trying to be fair to all of the other 5 teams in SEO that's is difficult ... Coal Grove IS a young team with 1 senior ... when I ranked them it was based on what I know, what I think I know, what other people on seops post ... hell most of time when I post a thread asking for information I get crickets from the masses ... I thank those regulars who DO give up information THAT IS ALL greatly appreciated ... hell it's hard to get scores for all of the games as posters don't put up the scores for some of the teams ... any way ... when I post the preseason rankings THAT'S where the teams will start - from there it's "prove my right or wrong on the court" sometimes teams I have ranked in the middle of the pack beat a much higher ranked team - it does mean I'm buying that the winning team is automatically better than the higher ranked team - usually the higher ranked team drops a few spot - not off the map - the winning team moves up , how much depends on who is in front for them and what they did that night or week as well ... it's not about picking up a team and jumping them over 20 teams - THAT IN ITSELF makes the rankings BS ... if a team knocks off a higher ranked team and they are in fact THAT good they prove it to me over time ON the court ... luckily I am able to watch the contenders most nights they play or on their youtube videos or the videos that posters send me of games ... I have ALWAYS felt by season's end - I have given teams the opportunity to prove their worth over the course of the season on the court ... I'm wrong sometimes ! I have no problem with that - I'm closer to 70 years old than 60 years old so I've made a boat load or two of mistakes in my life time LOL ... Chesapeake's talent this year? I obviously like what I see in their first 7 players ! ask Trimble if the talent is down ... Caleb Schneider, Travis Grim, Nathan Cox, Levi Blankenship, Devon Bellomy ...Coach Davis brings in Ben Bragg/Jacob Lemly ... size is an issue but the defensive effort AND fundamentals are excellent ... last night vs GAHS - went cold over the last 3 qtrs - it happens when you don't size to go inside to take the pressure off of having to shoot the ball on the perimeter ... I really am liking what I see from Devon Bellomy ! maybe 6-3 or 6-4 he has improved every game - great hands, doesn't take bad shots, has nice touch on the blocks and can hit the little 10 foot bank shot ... yeah I stick with good teams longer as well as those teams that have great coaching and I KNOW they have great coaching ... in this Covid season it's even harder to look a score and decide one team is better than another as we have teams that have been quarantined at least once others more than once ... others have coaches that have been quarantined or are quarantined ... some have players who are quarantined that ARE key players to the success of the teams ... some schools & health departments have shutdown teams from practicing or shooting (closing down the facilities) others have shutdown the games but have allowed teams to continue to practice ... SOOOOOOOOO many factors go into looking "at the score" of games and ranking the teams ... maybe I try to "get it right" to much ... maybe I should just - hell I can't do it that way , I only know one way to do anything that's either to win or get it right ... as it says on my wall in my classroom - "you ARE what other people SEE you are" - I'll do it the right way ...

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Pfloyd keep on doing it your way, I am closer to 70 also and its not going to change.
I have been watching our games and then other games, I have even watched some if the "foreign " teams from Kentucky lol. I can joke about Kentucky as my parents were from there.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s rankings!

Not a ton of games tonight but will get a good grasp of Logan. Piketon top 12? So many of those around top 20 teams had a bad game this week.

How high is the top TVC Ohio team?

OVC from 2-7 is cray cray. Feels like:

Fairland

South Point
Chesapeake

Ironton

Coal Grove
Gallia/Portsmouth

Not big gaps though!

PWest top 20? Looking the part.

New Lexington is quietly making a nice run...seeming like a top 25.

Northwest pushing in on the top 50

And no clue where to put Marietta lol...lower 30’s?

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:50 pm [quote=dime-a-dozen post_id=<a href="tel:1913327">1913327</a> time=<a href="tel:1610770037">1610770037</a> user_id=3667]
[quote=Ironman92 post_id=<a href="tel:1913321">1913321</a> time=<a href="tel:1610769812">1610769812</a> user_id=153]
Lol

[/quote]

... I put effort in the preseason rankings as it gives ME a starting point for ALL of the teams in SEO - not just the top 10-15 teams - those teams are easy to rank ! ... it's trying to be fair to all of the other 5 teams in SEO that's is difficult ... Coal Grove IS a young team with 1 senior ... when I ranked them it was based on what I know, what I think I know, what other people on seops post ... hell most of time when I post a thread asking for information I get crickets from the masses ... I thank those regulars who DO give up information THAT IS ALL greatly appreciated ... hell it's hard to get scores for all of the games as posters don't put up the scores for some of the teams ... any way ... when I post the preseason rankings THAT'S where the teams will start - from there it's "prove my right or wrong on the court" sometimes teams I have ranked in the middle of the pack beat a much higher ranked team - it does mean I'm buying that the winning team is automatically better than the higher ranked team - usually the higher ranked team drops a few spot - not off the map - the winning team moves up , how much depends on who is in front for them and what they did that night or week as well ... it's not about picking up a team and jumping them over 20 teams - THAT IN ITSELF makes the rankings BS ... if a team knocks off a higher ranked team and they are in fact THAT good they prove it to me over time ON the court ... luckily I am able to watch the contenders most nights they play or on their youtube videos or the videos that posters send me of games ... I have ALWAYS felt by season's end - I have given teams the opportunity to prove their worth over the course of the season on the court ... I'm wrong sometimes ! I have no problem with that - I'm closer to 70 years old than 60 years old so I've made a boat load or two of mistakes in my life time LOL ... Chesapeake's talent this year? I obviously like what I see in their first 7 players ! ask Trimble if the talent is down ... Caleb Schneider, Travis Grim, Nathan Cox, Levi Blankenship, Devon Bellomy ...Coach Davis brings in Ben Bragg/Jacob Lemly ... size is an issue but the defensive effort AND fundamentals are excellent ... last night vs GAHS - went cold over the last 3 qtrs - it happens when you don't size to go inside to take the pressure off of having to shoot the ball on the perimeter ... I really am liking what I see from Devon Bellomy ! maybe 6-3 or 6-4 he has improved every game - great hands, doesn't take bad shots, has nice touch on the blocks and can hit the little 10 foot bank shot ... yeah I stick with good teams longer as well as those teams that have great coaching and I KNOW they have great coaching ... in this Covid season it's even harder to look a score and decide one team is better than another as we have teams that have been quarantined at least once others more than once ... others have coaches that have been quarantined or are quarantined ... some have players who are quarantined that ARE key players to the success of the teams ... some schools & health departments have shutdown teams from practicing or shooting (closing down the facilities) others have shutdown the games but have allowed teams to continue to practice ... SOOOOOOOOO many factors go into looking "at the score" of games and ranking the teams ... maybe I try to "get it right" to much ... maybe I should just - hell I can't do it that way , I only know one way to do anything that's either to win or get it right ... as it says on my wall in my classroom - "you ARE what other people SEE you are" - I'll do it the right way ...
[/quote]

Pfloyd, I mean no disrespect to your rankings or question your ability to judge! Just simply lobbying for the team I cheer for, and talking basketball! Unfortunately I feel like bantering back and forth with me is being take a little personal for some reason? I mean “HELL”. Hopefully it’s not being taken like that! But I’ve seen many other people question rankings or push their team before and it has been met with less excitement! I’ve also been able to watch a lot of basketball this year thanks to Facebook and I think CG is better than most I’ve seen. I saw Trimble vs. Chesapeake and was not as impressed with Trimble as I thought I would be.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

dime-a-dozen wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:28 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:50 pm [quote=dime-a-dozen post_id=<a href="tel:1913327">1913327</a> time=<a href="tel:1610770037">1610770037</a> user_id=3667]
[quote=Ironman92 post_id=<a href="tel:1913321">1913321</a> time=<a href="tel:1610769812">1610769812</a> user_id=153]
Lol

[/quote]

Pfloyd, I mean no disrespect to your rankings or question your ability to judge! Just simply lobbying for the team I cheer for, and talking basketball! Unfortunately I feel like bantering back and forth with me is being take a little personal for some reason? I mean “HELL”. Hopefully it’s not being taken like that! But I’ve seen many other people question rankings or push their team before and it has been met with less excitement! I’ve also been able to watch a lot of basketball this year thanks to Facebook and I think CG is better than most I’ve seen. I saw Trimble vs. Chesapeake and was not as impressed with Trimble as I thought I would be.
[/quote]

... no disrespect taken at all ...

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Is Lucasville Valley playing?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

FIDO wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 pm Is Lucasville Valley playing?
I think they are still quarantined but not 100% sure.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:07 pm
FIDO wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 pm Is Lucasville Valley playing?
I think they are still quarantined but not 100% sure.
Thanks. It sure hurts the development of a young team. You cant make up game time experiences.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Pfloyd, tonight I will eat my crow.... Had to work this evening and couldn’t watch the CG/St. Joe game. Heard we got beat in every aspect of the game. Really surprised of the let down. CG not having their senior leader tonight I’m sure hurt but should have still had enough. Really bad loss tonight for the Hornets, congrats to the Flyers.

Return to “Boys Basketball”