Let's take a moment ... the HC's in SEO ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Let's take a moment ... the HC's in SEO ...

Post by Ironman92 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:57 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:49 pm Howie Caldwell not even HM?

Dang. Tough crowd. lol

He is comfortably in my top 5.
Yep, but David Kight and anyone else who’s ever come from Jackson gets an I92 Award. 😳🤡🤦🏼‍♂️
Troll better. You are slipping man.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:01 pm

Dang. Tough crowd. lol

Yep, but David Kight and anyone else who’s ever come from Jackson gets an I92 Award. 😳🤡🤦🏼‍♂️

No actually just pointing out your list and mentions. Can you please tell me the records of the coaches you mentioned? Titles won? What standards did you use? Just curious.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dang. Tough crowd. lol

That’s fair. Howie’s right there in my book. Great game coach no doubt. But also if you list your top 5 Nd then 3 HM’s....you’ll also leave someone pretty dang deserving off.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:04 pm

No actually just pointing out your list and mentions. Can you please tell me the records of the coaches you mentioned? Titles won? What standards did you use? Just curious.
As stated above....

My standards for my 5 original mentions were the only 5 coaches I could name or say anything about that Pfloyd didn’t already mention in his OP. Keep ignoring everything else I’ve posted on this thread so you can keep trolling.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:12 pm

As stated above....

My standards for my 5 original mentions were the only 5 coaches I could name or say anything about that Pfloyd didn’t already mention in his OP. Keep ignoring everything else I’ve posted on this thread so you can keep trolling.
That’s what trolls do

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

mlittle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 pm

As stated above....

That’s what trolls do
You would know.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

What Howie was/is able to do at Trimble is remarkable, imo. He takes 'football' players, kids who eat & breath football almost 365 days a year, and turns them into fundamentally sound basketball players in such a short amount of time. Heck, the guy can't even officially begin his seasons until a week or two later than everyone else because the football teams plays into week 12, 13, 14 and even 15 twice since he's been there. They finally just started putting together schedules that begin the 2nd week of December so they didnt have to postpone or cancel games anymore. But it doesn't matter. Somehow, some way, if you go watch a Trimble game right now they will be one of the most fundamentally sound teams you will have seen all year. When you combine that (which is great coaching), the toughness of the Trimble kids and their athleticism - you end up with a tough team to beat. And this repeats itself year after year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:37 pm What Howie was/is able to do at Trimble is remarkable, imo. He takes 'football' players, kids who eat & breath football almost 365 days a year, and turns them into fundamentally sound basketball players in such a short amount of time. Heck, the guy can't even officially begin his seasons until a week or two later than everyone else because the football teams plays into week 12, 13, 14 and even 15 twice since he's been there. They finally just started putting together schedules that begin the 2nd week of December so they didnt have to postpone or cancel games anymore. But it doesn't matter. Somehow, some way, if you go watch a Trimble game right now they will be one of the most fundamentally sound teams you will have seen all year. When you combine that (which is great coaching), the toughness of the Trimble kids and their athleticism - you end up with a tough team to beat. And this repeats itself year after year.
Agree. He’s an excellent coach.

Hoopdream
Waterboy

Post by Hoopdream »

Boy did this thread get weird...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:37 pm What Howie was/is able to do at Trimble is remarkable, imo. He takes 'football' players, kids who eat & breath football almost 365 days a year, and turns them into fundamentally sound basketball players in such a short amount of time. Heck, the guy can't even officially begin his seasons until a week or two later than everyone else because the football teams plays into week 12, 13, 14 and even 15 twice since he's been there. They finally just started putting together schedules that begin the 2nd week of December so they didnt have to postpone or cancel games anymore. But it doesn't matter. Somehow, some way, if you go watch a Trimble game right now they will be one of the most fundamentally sound teams you will have seen all year. When you combine that (which is great coaching), the toughness of the Trimble kids and their athleticism - you end up with a tough team to beat. And this repeats itself year after year.
... I totally agree 93dog ... heck I was a Howie fan when he had his teams at Reedsville Eastern - outstanding coach/teacher of the game ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopdream wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:44 pm Boy did this thread get weird...
... I had good intentions when I started it but it went south quickly ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:47 pm
... I totally agree 93dog ... heck I was a Howie fan when he had his teams at Reedsville Eastern - outstanding coach/teacher of the game ...
Add mentor, father figure and life coach to that too, Floyd. Some of the stories & feedback I get from former players, their parents & just people in the communities he has coached are amazing. He commands - and receives - so much love & respect. His greatest attribute goes beyond the court.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Yep Howie's been doing it LONG before Trimble and his best teams by far were at Eastern until the well ran dry. Great coach just wished he would've kinda stayed put

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:17 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 pm

As stated above....

That’s what trolls do
You would know.
How is mlittle a troll?😂

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Norm Persin just a little history:
Oak Hill:1981 Class A District Runner Up
Chesapeake: 1989 DIIIRegional Runner Up
1991 D3 Regional Runner Up
1993 D3 Regional Runner Up
1997 D3 Regional Semi Finals
1998 D3 Regional Runner Up
2000 D3 District Runner Up
2001 D3 Regional Semi Finals
2002 D3 District Runner Up
2004 D3 Regional Runner Up
2005 D3 Regional Semi Finals
2006 D3 Regional Semi Finals
Oak Hill:
2007 D3 Regional Semi Finals
2008 D4 Regional Runner Up
2009 D4 State Champion
2010 20-0 Regular Season
2013 Regional Runner Up
2017 Regional Semi Finals
2018 Regional Semi Finals

While at Chesapeake: 11 Consecutive OVC Championships which may be the state record.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

As stated above....

Reading comprehension has always been an issue on SEOPs. It seems as though the Appalachian Educational Season couldn't/didn't reach all children , now adults playing on a keyboard.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Norm's and The Peake's record of the 11 consecutive conference championships is tied for 2nd. I think Wooster Triway is 1st with 12.
The Peake, Cortland and Wheelersburg are tied for 2nd.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Coaches with longevity and a history of sustained success with inferior teams are at the top of my list.

Winning with talented teams is not as impressive as winning without talented teams. JMO

You don't get extra credit because of a school's history and riding the shirt tails of your predecessors success.

I guess one would need to define success before properly evaluating a coach. MOST coaches don't get the credit and respect warranted for the work they put in for the kids.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

FIDO wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:48 pm Coaches with longevity and a history of sustained success with inferior teams are at the top of my list.

Winning with talented teams is not as impressive as winning without talented teams. JMO

You don't get extra credit because of a school's history and riding the shirt tails of your predecessors success.

I guess one would need to define success before properly evaluating a coach. MOST coaches don't get the credit and respect warranted for the work they put in for the kids.
... usually what I find is that the successful coaches who seem to get it done year in year out without that "down" year are the coaches who rely on having taught the fundamentals of the game to ALL players the average player, the good player AND ESPECIALLY the most talented player(s) ... when a coach has developed a "system" where the fundamentals of the game at voth ends are taught from the younger grade right up through varsity - less time is spent teaching the fundamentals at the top and more time is then spent teaching the nuances of each position ... when good fundamentals are the foundation of a program , your players become a TEAM, and it is a TEAM that can play with anyone when the talent is down or not as good as those GREAT YEARS that the outstanding coaches DO HAVE due to the quality of a class coming through or more than one class coming through a program ... imo that's when Howie Caldwell, Doug Stiverson, Blane Maddox, Norm Persin, Rob Beucler, Matt Combs, Ryan Davis will always put a quality TEAM on the court from year to year ...

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

FIDO wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:42 pm

As stated above....

Reading comprehension has always been an issue on SEOPs. It seems as though the Appalachian Educational Season couldn't/didn't reach all children , now adults playing on a keyboard.
Like 👍

Return to “Boys Basketball”