Logan Elm pauses all extra-curricular activities immediately

koondoger
JV Team

Re: Logan Elm pauses all extra-curricular activities immediately

Post by koondoger »

se-alum wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:17 pm Is there a safer place for kids than being in school and having the structure of extra-curricular activities?
Probably not, and based on the opinions of some on here that structure can be there with no adult supervision required. Let the kids drive the buses when the bus drivers are quarantined and have the kids take turns being the teacher for the day when the teachers are quarantined. If the team gets quarantined get kids out of study hall to take their places so you can still have the game. But whatever you do don't cancel school or a ball game or things will go all to he11 in a hurry. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:25 pm
se-alum wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:17 pm Is there a safer place for kids than being in school and having the structure of extra-curricular activities?
Probably not, and based on the opinions of some on here that structure can be there with no adult supervision required. Let the kids drive the buses when the bus drivers are quarantined and have the kids take turns being the teacher for the day when the teachers are quarantined. If the team gets quarantined get kids out of study hall to take their places so you can still have the game. But whatever you do don't cancel school or a ball game or things will go all to he11 in a hurry. :mrgreen:
I completely understand having to go remote due to the lack of substitutes available. I just don't think going remote and shutting down extra-curriculars go hand in hand though.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:11 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm
koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Must not have numerous people being forced to quarantine for 24 days at time like here in Athens County. Just be glad you're not dealing with the powers up here is all I can say.
We’ve had our quarantine issues but you just have to work through it the best you can. I don’t have all the answers but shutting down schools and extra curriculum is not it
Well, I'm sure if you have a business or were running a school and you didn't have enough employees to keep it running you'd have a different opinion. But maybe not. Maybe you would just leave kids in classrooms with no teachers. Or let the kids drive the busses. I'm sure you'd "work through it." :mrgreen:
I am running a business and have been since this thing started. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:30 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm

We’ve had our quarantine issues but you just have to work through it the best you can. I don’t have all the answers but shutting down schools and extra curriculum is not it
Well, I'm sure if you have a business or were running a school and you didn't have enough employees to keep it running you'd have a different opinion. But maybe not. Maybe you would just leave kids in classrooms with no teachers. Or let the kids drive the busses. I'm sure you'd "work through it." :mrgreen:
I am running a business and have been since this thing started. Where there’s a will there’s a way.
How many employees do you have in your business?

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Realist wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 am I think it's important to realize that every school district is doing what they feel is the right move. We have never been faced with something like this and ultimately, if the school feels that pausing extra curriculars is the best way to keep our students safe, I applaud them for making such a tough decision. I don't think this has anything to do with power or control...It's just a lot of uncertainty. I love high school sports and I HATE not being able to attend games regularly, but I understand the thought and consideration that goes into making this call. I'm certain it was done with careful evaluation.
Thanks. They’re probably making these decisions in consultation, as well, with their health insurance providers and boards of educations.

I would think sports could, in theory, be played just fine — we’re unsure if indeed kids transmit the virus via sports (although our country and state is past the point of contact tracing and isolation being enough to mitigate spread.) On the other hand, there are two schools in my area with district personnel in their athletics departments (including an A.D.) who died from COVID-19 within the past two weeks. So, that’s another thing to consider. Even if their deaths don’t mean anything to one personally they certainly catch the attention of health insurance carriers.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:34 pm

In my building around 50

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:37 pm

In my building around 50
So if you have 30 of those quarantined what are you going to do?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:38 pm

In my building around 50
Run my business with 20 people.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:40 pm

In my building around 50
Yea, sure you will. I'm proud of you. What is your business by the way? And just for shits and giggles, if your "20" had no way to get to work what would you do?

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

I didn't figure you'd answer so I'll answer for you. You'd shut your business down until they could get to work. :mrgreen:

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:42 pm

Yea, sure you will. I'm proud of you. What is your business by the way? And just for shits and giggles, if your "20" had no way to get to work what would you do?
You’re asking and I’m answering as truthful as I can. My situation may be different than a school but you threw it out there and I’m telling you what I would do. I’m not shutting down until I’ve done absolutely everything I could do to keep the doors open. If things got bad enough for us to have to shut the doors then so be it but I doubt the schools that are closing are to that point. I mean Unioto students and staff don’t have collective super DNA that makes them immune. They’re just finding a way because they understand the importance of the kids being there and don’t have a problem making tough decisions. The easy thing to do is shut down. May or may not happen to Unioto but for now we are in session 5 days a week.

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:50 pm

You’re asking and I’m answering as truthful as I can. My situation may be different than a school but you threw it out there and I’m telling you what I would do. I’m not shutting down until I’ve done absolutely everything I could do to keep the doors open. If things got bad enough for us to have to shut the doors then so be it but I doubt the schools that are closing are to that point. I mean Unioto students and staff don’t have collective super DNA that makes them immune. They’re just finding a way because they understand the importance of the kids being there and don’t have a problem making tough decisions. The easy thing to do is shut down. May or may not happen to Unioto but for now we are in session 5 days a week.
I bet they're not ignoring the health directors orders are they? In Athens County they're quarantining at a record rate. When they quarantine half your staff you have no choice but to shut down. Just like you said, if things got bad enough... Well things are bad enough to shut down unless you want to buck the health director. Schools can't do that without consequences.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:54 pm

I bet they're not ignoring the health directors orders are they? In Athens County they're quarantining at a record rate. When they quarantine half your staff you have no choice but to shut down. Just like you said, if things got bad enough... Well things are bad enough to shut down unless you want to buck the health director. Schools can't do that without consequences.
Which brings back my original post. The schools are doing what’s best for them and not what’s best for the students. The health directors are making recommendations. The schools can choose to ignore if they wish.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Our health director tried shutting our season down 2 weeks ago.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

koondoger wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:56 pm Update: Now the latest is if a game official tests positive all the other officials and both teams have to quarantine. FYI: that's not a school policy so don't blame the schools. :o

Where did you get this guideline? I am pretty sure if a player tests positive it affects the teams, but not the officials. and Vice Versa!

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

My question is, if he has 50 employees but can run the business with 20, how good a business person is he if he’s paying overhead for 30 people he does not need.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:34 pm

My question is, if he has 50 employees but can run the business with 20, how good a business person is he if he’s paying overhead for 30 people he does not need.
More people more business revenue. Less people less revenue but the doors are still open and people are employed. Never did I say I’d run at the same profit with 30 less people. That lesson was free. I’m charging for the next one
Last edited by mlittle on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

And I don’t own the business I run the business

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:57 pm

Which brings back my original post. The schools are doing what’s best for them and not what’s best for the students. The health directors are making recommendations. The schools can choose to ignore if they wish.
Again, you speak with no knowledge of what you speak. The health director here is not "making recommendations." They are ordering people to quarantine. When half the staff is ordered to quarantine and you have no supervision for the students you have no choice. I realize you are one to never admit you might be wrong about something, but in this situation you clearly have no knowledge about the difference between a school and a private business. You never did answer my question about, if your workers have no transportation to work what would you do. So, again, I'll answer it for you: you'll close down is what you'll do. Also, let me know when/if your health director orders you to quarantine and you refuse to follow the directive cause you surely will won't you so you can keep your business open. I'd be interesting in hearing how that works out for you.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

koondoger wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:42 am
mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:57 pm

Again, you speak with no knowledge of what you speak. The health director here is not "making recommendations”
Uhh, the Ross County Health Director has made repeated recommendations and 6 of the 7 schools are still playing. And the only ones who are remote are on a case by case basis and nothing to do with the “recommendations”

While you said the health director there isn’t making recommendations, there are other health directors who are making recommendations. So, maybe you are speaking with no knowledge.

You probably should just go back to bashing coaches and calling for yourself to get back into coaching.

Return to “Boys Basketball”