OHSAA Tourney and COVID-19

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: OHSAA Tourney and COVID-19

Post by FANOSPORTS »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:06 am
Cowboy22 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:18 am I take it this goes into effect immediately and tonight's games at the convocation Center will be family members only. I guess it don't affect harvest prep any as the only fans that watch them play are family members.
You seem bothered by this!
This is a ploy by Harvest Prep. They just wanted to even out the fan base for once !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

So this was "forced" on the OHSAA, but not on the Blue Jackets?

I'm confused. Which is it?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:27 pm So this was "forced" on the OHSAA, but not on the Blue Jackets?

I'm confused. Which is it?
It was never forced, but rather recommended.

"Gov. Mike DeWine recommended Tuesday that indoor athletic events in Ohio, including the First Four games in Dayton, occur without spectators." https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... CFXIWoYnI/

DeWine's tweet stated "ATHLETICS: For indoor events, we are asking for no events with spectators other than the athletes, parents, and others essential to the game."

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

I work in the healthcare industry. One answer to the questions of “why cancel school” or “why are they limiting attendance at sporting events” is to slow the speed at which the virus transmits throughout the population. The younger population has been proven to be resilient when infected with the virus. The severity of symptoms for younger individuals is not as prevalent as opposed to older individuals or those with underlying health conditions. So while Tommy the wrestler may get it and basically have a dry cough and a temporary fever or not even be really symptomatic at all, grandma/grandpa he takes it home to may not be so lucky. In the end what governments (international, national, state and local) are trying to do is slow the spread of the disease. Why?.....because it has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system if there is a rapid spread of the virus to at risk populations. We do not have infinite resources in our healthcare system. That is why you are seeing the OHSAA and other organizations taking the steps they are. It’s not just about “they are soft”. There is a logistical reasoning behind these decisions. It absolutely sucks for fans, family members, and athletes as many have said though.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Let's see....

Dec 10 2019: A woman working at Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan went to a local clinic. She felt feverish and had a cough.

Dec 31 2019: China declared an emergency in that province.

Jan 7 2020: WHO calls this coronavirus. COVID19 or as some folks call it Wuhan COVID 19.

Jan 19 2020: A 35 y/o man goes to ER in Washington complaining flu like syptoms. He had just returned from Wuhan. NOTE: to this date, most of the US deaths are from Washington...a majority from one assisted living care center...16 from that facility I believe.

Pres. Trump declared an emergency on Jan 31 of this year.

This info comes from the New England Journal of Medicine

I'm saying all to say... In my humble opinion-looking at those dates that....China is about 30-45 days ahead of us. The numbers of new cases in China have dropped dramatically in the past week or 10 days. If this follows the same path here...we should be doing better in the next few weeks (2-4 in my humble opinion).

Hand washing....as a retired USAF medical technologist (MT), I washed my hands about 12-15 times a day....at work. I would suggest handwashing x10 each day. Think about it: before and after eating...after playing with your dog or cat
after you sneeze or blow your nose....etc...etc.

Anywho....that is all I have to say about this. Am I worried? Yes....a little bit. But I have been around enough sick patients in my 20 years to have developed a good immune system. Bottom line: I don't get sick that often. But that's me. Doctors wear a mask in surgery so they don't pass bacteria to us.

An N95 particulate mask must be fitted to your face for it to work properly. Gotta beard? Shave it. I wear one when working with oil based stains and other stuff.

That's all I'm going to say about this. De Wine made his decision...other govenors have done the same. Spring break numbers are down here but alot of that is due to....no alcohol allowed on our beaches in March.

Have a great day folks! Be safe and please use common sense about this.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm I work in the healthcare industry. One answer to the questions of “why cancel school” or “why are they limiting attendance at sporting events” is to slow the speed at which the virus transmits throughout the population. The younger population has been proven to be resilient when infected with the virus. The severity of symptoms for younger individuals is not as prevalent as opposed to older individuals or those with underlying health conditions. So while Tommy the wrestler may get it and basically have a dry cough and a temporary fever or not even be really symptomatic at all, grandma/grandpa he takes it home to may not be so lucky. In the end what governments (international, national, state and local) are trying to do is slow the spread of the disease. Why?.....because it has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system if there is a rapid spread of the virus to at risk populations. We do not have infinite resources in our healthcare system. That is why you are seeing the OHSAA and other organizations taking the steps they are. It’s not just about “they are soft”. There is a logistical reasoning behind these decisions. It absolutely sucks for fans, family members, and athletes as many have said though.
Well said, Chief02!!!

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:38 pm
Chief02 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:02 pm I work in the healthcare industry. One answer to the questions of “why cancel school” or “why are they limiting attendance at sporting events” is to slow the speed at which the virus transmits throughout the population. The younger population has been proven to be resilient when infected with the virus. The severity of symptoms for younger individuals is not as prevalent as opposed to older individuals or those with underlying health conditions. So while Tommy the wrestler may get it and basically have a dry cough and a temporary fever or not even be really symptomatic at all, grandma/grandpa he takes it home to may not be so lucky. In the end what governments (international, national, state and local) are trying to do is slow the spread of the disease. Why?.....because it has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system if there is a rapid spread of the virus to at risk populations. We do not have infinite resources in our healthcare system. That is why you are seeing the OHSAA and other organizations taking the steps they are. It’s not just about “they are soft”. There is a logistical reasoning behind these decisions. It absolutely sucks for fans, family members, and athletes as many have said though.
Well said, Chief02!!!
The numbers I have seen are it really hits the elderly, those 65 and older with other conditions like weakened immune system hard. To date...13 cases in Florida....2 deaths....Tampa area and in Santa Rosa county. Both over 70 and had traveled to Italy or another affected area.

longball
JV Team

Post by longball »

Just listened to Washington states governor and he had a very good point. Since children are at such a low risk anyways, how are school closures really going to be effective when many health care workers will have to leave their jobs due to no child care?

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:37 pm Let's see....

Dec 10 2019: A woman working at Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan went to a local clinic. She felt feverish and had a cough.

Dec 31 2019: China declared an emergency in that province.

Jan 7 2020: WHO calls this coronavirus. COVID19 or as some folks call it Wuhan COVID 19.

Jan 19 2020: A 35 y/o man goes to ER in Washington complaining flu like syptoms. He had just returned from Wuhan. NOTE: to this date, most of the US deaths are from Washington...a majority from one assisted living care center...16 from that facility I believe.

Pres. Trump declared an emergency on Jan 31 of this year.

This info comes from the New England Journal of Medicine

I'm saying all to say... In my humble opinion-looking at those dates that....China is about 30-45 days ahead of us. The numbers of new cases in China have dropped dramatically in the past week or 10 days. If this follows the same path here...we should be doing better in the next few weeks (2-4 in my humble opinion).

Hand washing....as a retired USAF medical technologist (MT), I washed my hands about 12-15 times a day....at work. I would suggest handwashing x10 each day. Think about it: before and after eating...after playing with your dog or cat
after you sneeze or blow your nose....etc...etc.

Anywho....that is all I have to say about this. Am I worried? Yes....a little bit. But I have been around enough sick patients in my 20 years to have developed a good immune system. Bottom line: I don't get sick that often. But that's me. Doctors wear a mask in surgery so they don't pass bacteria to us.

An N95 particulate mask must be fitted to your face for it to work properly. Gotta beard? Shave it. I wear one when working with oil based stains and other stuff.

That's all I'm going to say about this. De Wine made his decision...other govenors have done the same. Spring break numbers are down here but alot of that is due to....no alcohol allowed on our beaches in March.

Have a great day folks! Be safe and please use common sense about this.
WHO is the World Health Organization....not the Who...lol

Also....most school districts around here will clean the schools when kids go on spring break. And myself and others are helping. At least it's not in May....phew!

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

longball wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:00 pm Just listened to Washington states governor and he had a very good point. Since children are at such a low risk anyways, how are school closures really going to be effective when many health care workers will have to leave their jobs due to no child care?
I don’t think all the information is being presented in this question or if it is framed verbatim. One thing he said was:

“Our children are relatively free of serious disease associated with this,” Inslee said. “But the best science tells us they have the capability of transmitting the disease with people they come into contact with.”

He also encouraged schools to have a contingency plan in place to prepare for the possibility of further closures.

It’s effective because it can mitigate the disease spreading easily amongst a population that is resilient, therefore limiting it being taken home to those in their family that are not as resilient health wise. Not every child has a parent in health care. This actually goes to prove the point that healthcare resources are limited, including staff. I have children. Yes it will suck if our schools close and we have to find alternative childcare options. It is going to put a strain on parents from all working sectors.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

So tickets are now void and to get your money back you have to drive to the site? Lol

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

This thread is somewhat concerning and a bit disheartening at the same time.
Last edited by avalanche on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Media and others make people scared of everything today.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

NCAA just announced no fans for tourney:

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
toast
All State

Post by toast »

This post is worth a second read. We should defer to the health care experts. Definitely need to stay out in front of this situation. It looks like all large scale indoor gatherings will be banned in Ohio within the next 24 hours. Not sure what constitutes large scale. Seems like I heard 250 or more people. And as stated above....this has nothing to do with being soft!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 am
Bozo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 am Only recommended by that governor. Not mandatory.
What a soft world we live in.
Correct, it was not and is not mandatory. He recommended it and OHSAA decided to go with the recommendation.
Pol pot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 pm I want to stress that this has been a decision from the Governor of Ohio, NOT the OHSAA. This has been forced on the MAC Tournament, UD, Cincinnati, every indoor event in OHIO. This is not something the OHSAA has done or created. That being said, going to have to make the best of it. I will get word out tomorrow on streaming of the games.
Appreciate you Pol Pot and all that you do..... but the Blue Jackets will be continuing on with their home games as regularly scheduled. Therefore it is not forced nor has it applied to every indoor event in Ohio.

End of the day it's the kids I feel for as well as communities. There's so many distant family members who have supported their relative every step along the way that suddenly will be left out. There's cheer blocks that's been there all year that no longer can go cheer on their classmates. There's elderly community members that's watched teams for decades come through and have never seen their team play at the state or even regional level..... that now can't go.. It's sad. Very, very sad.
You guys have no clue what behind the scenes things were discussed, remember the OHSAA needs the governor and the legislature, they constantly have to lobby for pieces of legislations. And looking at the past 24 hours, the OHSAA doesn’t look that silly, NBA cancelled, MAC Tourney no fans, NCAA tournament no fans. The governor strongly request something, some people have to comply, as much as you may not want to. Kind of like at work, that surpervisor or manager who’s not your supervisor or manager asks you to do something, you do it.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:54 pm So tickets are now void and to get your money back you have to drive to the site? Lol
That’s not true at all, all refunds were done electronically! To the card that purchased the tickets. Nothing like spreading false rumors to push an agenda.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Bozo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:47 pm Media and others make people scared of everything today.
What scares me is when people post fake poop, like above about tickets. Media does a job, it’s how people are able to process and understand information, as well as what they spread that is troubling.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

toast wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:30 pm
This post is worth a second read. We should defer to the health care experts. Definitely need to stay out in front of this situation. It looks like all large scale indoor gatherings will be banned in Ohio within the next 24 hours. Not sure what constitutes large scale. Seems like I heard 250 or more people. And as stated above....this has nothing to do with being soft!
+1

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Pol pot wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 am
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:54 pm So tickets are now void and to get your money back you have to drive to the site? Lol
That’s not true at all, all refunds were done electronically! To the card that purchased the tickets. Nothing like spreading false rumors to push an agenda.
Take a breath buddy, it's going to be ok. Ironman92 is definitely not pushing an agenda. One of the statements I read were that if you bought state tournament tickets AT the OSU Ticket office, you can receive your money back AT that location. Electronic payments were refunded electronically. I'm sure he read that and simply confused it as ALL tickets must be returned at the ticket office for your money back... Mistakes happen.

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”