SEOPS Hippo

Russia vs Jackson Center...Sectional Final

Post by Ironman92 »

Russia held the gall the entire 2nd quarter and leads at half 6-4

dpatty
Freshman Team

Re: Russia vs Jackson Center...Sectional Final

Post by dpatty »

This was last night. Jackson Center won 24-12.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

dpatty wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm This was last night. Jackson Center won 24-12.
Lol...doesn’t matter

Dumb

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I remember that happened Athens vs VC girls a few years back. Athens was really good and up but not by a bunch. VC let Athens hold the ball for a whole quarter

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:46 pm Russia held the gall the entire 2nd quarter and leads at half 6-4

Nice, a very strategical ploy. I like to see those kind of games. In the end, the game got away, as they usually do, but on occasion it makes for an upset.

dpatty
Freshman Team

Post by dpatty »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:57 pm
dpatty wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm This was last night. Jackson Center won 24-12.
Lol...doesn’t matter

Dumb
You said “leads at half”, and the tweet you posted shows it was from last night, so I gave the final score.

Anyways, just watched a feed of Morgan’s win over Union Local in a D3 Sectional Final, score at the end of regulation was 38-38. End of 1st OT, 38-38. I don’t believe there was a shot taken in that OT. Foul, missed FT, stall ball, Turnover, with 1.9 left, and a shot taken too late after a TO. I wanted to throw my phone.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

This is why there should be a shot clock in high school.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:40 pm This is why there should be a shot clock in high school.
Can’t. It’s IMPOSSIBLE! Can’t be done.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

dpatty wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:53 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:57 pm
Lol...doesn’t matter

Dumb
You said “leads at half”, and the tweet you posted shows it was from last night, so I gave the final score.

Anyways, just watched a feed of Morgan’s win over Union Local in a D3 Sectional Final, score at the end of regulation was 38-38. End of 1st OT, 38-38. I don’t believe there was a shot taken in that OT. Foul, missed FT, stall ball, Turnover, with 1.9 left, and a shot taken too late after a TO. I wanted to throw my phone.
Yeah I’ve seen it in OT

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:59 pm I remember that happened Athens vs VC girls a few years back. Athens was really good and up but not by a bunch. VC let Athens hold the ball for a whole quarter
Actually held the ballad for final 2 min of 2nd quarter, took last shot. VC ball to start 3rd, went 1 pass and shot, then Athens held for the entire 3rd quarter taking the last shot and then got the ball back to start the 4th and took their next shot at the 4 min mark. A 5 point lead went to 20 in the final 4 minutes.

People can say what you want, but in Varsity basketball the name of the game is WIN! 2-0, 4-0 26-24, 60-4 it’s all the same just win!

Good coaches put their kids in the position to win, and their kids understand that, and their parents understand that. Up 5, only people that yelled at the Athens coach were the other teams fans. Now if it backfires, it backfires, no different than any other game plan, but coaching is giving teams the best opportunity to win.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

I had that game @ Russia earlier this year. Must have been the only way that Russia thought they could beat the #1 seed Jackson Center.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:54 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:40 pm This is why there should be a shot clock in high school.
It can be done and all these fans can chip in thr the thousands of dollars of facilities upgrades each school will incur and the added person at the scorers table, which at a lot of schools means buying a bigger table. I’m sure folks are getting checkbooks out right now.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:03 am I had that game @ Russia earlier this year. Must have been the only way that Russia thought they could beat the #1 seed Jackson Center.
To my point, what was the score of the matchup earlier this year? Closer than 12? Coaches job is to give a chance. Being down 30 ain’t no chance.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Funny, find a dozen other threads about how basketball isn’t basketball anymore because it’s too fast and physical, no skill! What do you think a shot clock will do? Magically make skill develope? Coach of the undersized, less strong team going to pull Trix the Rabbit out of his Lucky Charm ass? To get a shot off in 30 seconds and upset a team by doing that all game long?

Who does everyone consider the best coaches in SE Ohio the past 20 years? Not one of their styles or success would work in a shot clock game? The shot clock itself kills the actual art of basketball.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Can any fan here honestly say that if their team won a tournament game (District game up to a State game), especially as the underdog 14-12, 26-24, 32-0, that you’d not celebrate and ask to give the trophy up because it was not exciting enough? Bueller? Bueller. Anyone giving that trophy up? Didn’t think so!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Pol pot wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:03 am
It can be done and all these fans can chip in thr the thousands of dollars of facilities upgrades each school will incur and the added person at the scorers table, which at a lot of schools means buying a bigger table. I’m sure folks are getting checkbooks out right now.
If they wanted it done, they could do it. I’m not arguing they want to. OHSAA ridiculously allows parent volunteers with zero training to judge each end line of volleyball games. Volunteers could be used for they and heaven forbid trained to push a button and when to.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:53 am
Pol pot wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:03 am

If they wanted it done, they could do it. I’m not arguing they want to. OHSAA ridiculously allows parent volunteers with zero training to judge each end line of volleyball games. Volunteers could be used for they and heaven forbid trained to push a button and when to.
Actually, schools allow that to happen, any OHSAA or District Board event they are licensed officials on the baselines, and the state pays. In local regular season matches it’s the schools who use volunteers. Also look at sport regulations, all JV basketball games are to be played with 3 officials, but schools simply say they cannot afford it so they don’t. It’s easy to blame the big dog in the room, but it’s also not always where the answer lies.

As for the shot clock, it’s coming, will not be long. However up until now OHIO Coaches have voted it down on multiple occasions, they do not want it at this time, yet people blames the OHSAA for that? And until the Coaches vote for the shot clock, Ohio will vote against it at NFHS.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

They still allow it just like your 2 ref JV example. The shot clock could be done. I’m not blaming OHSAA and if I wanted to I couldn’t because they are never wrong.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pol pot: I am for the shot clock, and the clock would not kill the "actual art of basketball". Having a 30 second shot clock wouldn't eliminate the underdog as much as you think. And how about the underdog team working on their skills in the off season to get better? The underdog isn't always the team that is undersized and physically weak. Quite often it's the team that lacks proficient basketball skills. In some cases, the players lack of skills can put the coach in an awkward position contrary to what that coach believes philosophically about game strategy.

And you can't speak for Portsmouth HS, that's for sure. At Portsmouth, we have NEVER endorsed that style of play and never will, win or lose. We took our share of whippings from big city schools and NEVER ONCE slowed the pace to a crawl. We scored 32 points vs. Eastern Brown in the sectional this year, and it wasn't because we slowed it down......we just couldn't put the ball in the basket. If we had won the game with 32 points, of course we wouldn't give the sectional trophy back (there isn't one anymore), but I can guarantee you that Trojan fans, including me, would be complaining to the high heavens about winning that way. It's just not acceptable at Portsmouth.

You make a lot of good points about various topics on SEOPS, and I agree most of the time with you, but on this subject you and I have completely different viewpoints.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

2003-2004
Holgate stalled on Webster in the state semis.
Beat us on the buzzer beater three. Eventually won the title that year.

I think webster probably averaged 70ppg that season and I want to say the final of that game was 30-27

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”