Holiday Classic in Waverly 27th & 28th

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Holiday Classic in Waverly 27th & 28th

Post by mlittle »

Omega wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:45 pm
mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 am
EasternDspy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:50 am

Waverly beat Warren. I think they are better then some think.
They also lost to Miami Trace. Not saying they aren’t capable but Adena smacked them by 30 in a foundation game and just lost to Alex by 14. I know the Adena game Waverly wasn’t full go but I just don’t see them playing with Alexander. Not a knock on Waverly but Alexander Should be the heavy favorite.

Waverly's next game against Stormin Norman's Oak Hill then a possible matchup with Alexander might give fan's a better gauge of how good, bad, or indifferent a season is in store for the Tigers. Football playoffs, injury and player turnover has made for a cloudy picture in TigerTown.
Agreed

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:46 am
mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 am
smurray wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 am

This tournament has always been the Waverly Holiday Classic. It did not originally have all the Pike County teams playing in it. Once all the Pike County teams got involved some preferred to call it the Pike County Tournament.
All 4 Pike County girls teams play in a tournament and it is indeed called the Pike County Tournament. It’s always been those 4 schools. Not exactly at the same time.
For those of us from the county and being a part of that tournament for years I just don’t see it having the same juice as years past. I’m sure it will still be a great tournament but just not the same.
Waverly plays Piketon in the semis this year so that one should be interesting.
I just don’t understand Eastern dropping out of it when they have been fairly successful in it the past few years. The argument they may end up playing Waverly 3 times holds no water when they played Western 3 X or had the potential to.

Not sure if Alexander will play in this Classic long term or if Waverly will try different teams from year to year.
Yeah I'm not sure why the possibility of an extra game against Waverly should make a difference. I'm curious if that was a Barrick thing at the time Eastern was moving to SOC 2 or if it was indeed the powers to be deciding they didn't want to possibly play waverly 3 times. Like you said they didn't have an issue playing Western 3 times. I believe EP has won the tournament the last 2 seasons as well and one would think that is good for the program because this Holiday Classic typically has a very big draw to it.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I've seen Alex and Waverly and the Tigers could absolutely give Alex all they want,both have to get by Friday first but I believe that would be a great game...

And yes,imo Eastern should absolutely be playing in this tournament.. just match them up with Piketon or Western in first round

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

It was 100% a Barrick thing. And then he looks for greener pastures. Now that eastern hired lakiem, hopefully eastern will get back in next year. It is such a good tournament with all 4 Pike county teams.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Waverly vs Piketon should be a good game Friday evening. Piketon's ability to shoot the three makes them a very dangerous team. I'm wondering if Waverly will be without the services of Robertson who missed a good part of their last game vs Oak Hill due to an injury.

Also wondering if Terry will be available for Alexander. I read where he was injured early on in their last game vs Ironton and did not return.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

With Robertson and Terry

Waverly 56
Piketon 48

Alexander 67
Western 51

Piketon 53
Western 49

Alexander 59
Waverly 54

Without Robertson and Terry

Piketon 54
Waverly 47

Alexander 55
Western 46

Alexander 57
Piketon 53

Waverly 46
Western 44

With Robertson, no Terry

Waverly 56
Piketon 48

Alexander 55
Western 46

Waverly 50
Alexander 46

Piketon 53
Western 49

With Terry, no Robertson

Piketon 54
Waverly 47

Alexander 67
Western 51

Alexander 57
Piketon 49

Waverly 46
Western 44

So basically with all scenarios covered....Western will obviously win it all
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ukfanatic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:16 am It was 100% a Barrick thing. And then he looks for greener pastures. Now that eastern hired lakiem, hopefully eastern will get back in next year. It is such a good tournament with all 4 Pike county teams.
I’m hearing it’s very possible and plausible Eastern returns next year.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:03 pm
Ukfanatic wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:16 am It was 100% a Barrick thing. And then he looks for greener pastures. Now that eastern hired lakiem, hopefully eastern will get back in next year. It is such a good tournament with all 4 Pike county teams.
You people do an outstanding job in putting the Holiday Classic on every year. Glad to hear that possibly Pike Eastern will be a part of it going forward. Looking forward to a couple good days of basketball.

Just wanted to add this, I'm not really sure how old the new high school really is, But I just want to say that the Gym at the High School is one of the nicest and cleanest Gym's that I have ever been in. I've always thought that Jackson had a very nice and well kept Gym, and I know that only the Girls play in the High School Gym at Waverly, You not only have the beautiful downtown Gym, but I would think that the High School Gym would also be more than adequate to host Sec and Dist tournament games as well.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:29 pm
You people do an outstanding job in putting the Holiday Classic on every year. Glad to hear that possibly Pike Eastern will be a part of it going forward. Looking forward to a couple good days of basketball.

Just wanted to add this, I'm not really sure how old the new high school really is, But I just want to say that the Gym at the High School is one of the nicest and cleanest Gym's that I have ever been in. I've always thought that Jackson had a very nice and well kept Gym, and I know that only the Girls play in the High School Gym at Waverly, You not only have the beautiful downtown Gym, but I would think that the High School Gym would also be more than adequate to host Sec and Dist tournament games as well.
Thanks to the Waverly Athletics Facilities Committe, the Downtown Gym has undergone major improvements / restorations similar to the football facility. Smurray has been one of the movers and shakers on these projects. It is hard to believe, the Hawhee Palace is nearing its 50th anniversary.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

it is disappointing to see Eastern out of this considering it is the Pike County Holiday classic and in years past each of the counties teams have been good. What is the travel going to be like for Alex? Pretty decent drive away to comeback the next day and play

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:00 pm it is disappointing to see Eastern out of this considering it is the Pike County Holiday classic and in years past each of the counties teams have been good. What is the travel going to be like for Alex? Pretty decent drive away to comeback the next day and play
It's not the Pike County Holiday classic, not sure how many times this has been said. Obviously Alex isn't worried about the drive otherwise they would've just said no thanks.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

It’s probably an hour each way.
Which is only like 15 songs 😂

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

How is everything with Waverly's team over the last week or so?? Heard rumors of some meetings going down regarding the players that quit.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:18 pm
How is everything with Waverly's team over the last week or so?? Heard rumors of some meetings going down regarding the players that quit.
Haven't heard anything about that. Sounds like you should be the one enlightening us lol. Were the supposed meetings over a dispute on how the players were treated or was it a meeting about possible being let back on the team?

I haven't heard about Treys status. Not sure if he will be playing and if so if he will be limited. I do know that Stulley has his boot off. So that is a step towards him hopefully returning sooner than later.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Stulley isn't expected to return until mid January.
Have not heard how Trey is doing but he was in serious pain last week.
Maybe Greygoose can enlighten us on the meetings concerning the two players who quit. As far as I knew that was water under the bridge. Maybe something came up for Travis and the team to reconsider.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:50 pm
greygoose wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Haven't heard anything about that. Sounds like you should be the one enlightening us lol. Were the supposed meetings over a dispute on how the players were treated or was it a meeting about possible being let back on the team?

I haven't heard about Treys status. Not sure if he will be playing and if so if he will be limited. I do know that Stulley has his boot off. So that is a step towards him hopefully returning sooner than later.
Yes on both accounts, heard there was more than 1 meeting on the subject. Haven't heard the end results but I guess we'll all know if Waverly ends up with a couple more players back on the team.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:00 pm Stulley isn't expected to return until mid January.
Have not heard how Trey is doing but he was in serious pain last week.
Maybe Greygoose can enlighten us on the meetings concerning the two players who quit. As far as I knew that was water under the bridge. Maybe something came up for Travis and the team to reconsider.
Thought the same thing as well up until about the last 2 weeks or so I guess, time will tell who wins out on that one. Never know what happens on these matters when the powers to be get involved.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Looking forward to catching both games tonight, Let’s Go Streaks!

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

So players quit before season and now that Waverly is struggling some they are going to let them come back and play this far into the season?

Win at all costs I suppose

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Vik wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:41 am So players quit before season and now that Waverly is struggling some they are going to let them come back and play this far into the season?

Win at all costs I suppose
Don't really think that's how it is. Coach Robertson isn't the kind of guy that would beg for anyone to be on his team. Or allow players to come and go as they please. Which was kinda the issue to begin with. After the season had already began, there were some issues going on and Travis gave them the choice of whether to stay and be committed to the team or walk. The players made their own choice. My guess is that maybe the players are wanting another chance or something of that nature. Guess we will have to see if anything comes of what is supposedly going down.

Return to “Boys Basketball”