Burg Freshman

breadandbutter7
Waterboy

Burg Freshman

Post by breadandbutter7 »

Is the freshman Tanner Holden the real deal? Haven't been able to see him but thoughts?

PirateFan888
Waterboy

Re: Burg Freshman

Post by PirateFan888 »

Yes indeed.

Burgball#1
Freshman Team

Post by Burgball#1 »

He will bring back the Andrew Burleson days and excitement probably beginning next year!!

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

The freshman team to look out for is in Ironton. T. Wilson, E. Wilson, C. Large, R. Bryant all 4 are probably better athletes and all around players on one team. Ironton has cruised to easy victories over burg the past couple of years of 20+ points. All four of these freshmen should play varsity as freshmen, with a strong group of freshmen backups alongside. Holden has height and can shoot pretty good, but will need much more than that to put on a show as the previous poster eluded. He might get to see some good times in a weak SOC over the next four years, but Burg probably won't be a top team in the area for years to come.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Have watched Holden a lot and he is the real deal. Only gonna get better. IBTT has been on the ironton freshman since sixth grade. Telling us all how great they were gonna be. I understand being a proud parent but lets get real. If Ironton has to playthe 4 freshmen a lot they wont win a game all year. By the way the SOC is not going to be weak over the next four years. Waverly is gonna be loaded. Minford Wheelersburg, Northwest all have very solid classes coming in the lower ranks. Oak Hill will always be good as long as Persin is there. Not sure about south Webster or valley.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Yes

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Facts are in the results, with Large and Gunther moving in to an already top class in the area, this bunch should be electrifying. Ironton has a good group of juniors and seniors too to go along with these kids. I believe the top 4-6 freshmen will get playing time this season, however there is a good group without them this season. By the time this group gets a couple of years experience I don't see anyone having much luck against them locally. I agree that Oak Hill has a fine coach and all, but Burg beat all the SOC handily with this class and Ironton beat them the last two years by 40+ Two years ago and 30+ Last year. Add the other top kids from the next best team in the area from the past two years and it doesn't look good for the SOC. Time will tell, this is their freshman season, so they will be backing up the upper class most of the year. The future years will be exciting for sure.

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

IBTT wrote:Facts are in the results, with Large and Gunther moving in to an already top class in the area, this bunch should be electrifying. Ironton has a good group of juniors and seniors too to go along with these kids. I believe the top 4-6 freshmen will get playing time this season, however there is a good group without them this season. By the time this group gets a couple of years experience I don't see anyone having much luck against them locally. I agree that Oak Hill has a fine coach and all, but Burg beat all the SOC handily with this class and Ironton beat them the last two years by 40+ Two years ago and 30+ Last year. Add the other top kids from the next best team in the area from the past two years and it doesn't look good for the SOC. Time will tell, this is their freshman season, so they will be backing up the upper class most of the year. The future years will be exciting for sure.
The last time I checked Ironton did not play most of the SOC teams in the past 2 years. Just because you beat 1 team in Junior high doesn't translate to Varsity level. The reason your Ironton boys were so dominate was that they were stronger and more physical than the teams they played. This will balance out by the time this group is juniors and seniors. Last year you were saying how great and deep the ironton 8th grade was. Now you only mention a few ironton players and Coal Grove transfers. What happened to the rest of the ironton boys? Plus I TOOK THE TIME TO LOOK UP THE SCORE ON THE BURG WEBSITE. Last year you won by 15. NOT 30+

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

That was because we took the starters out at halftime. Haha!! Burg blew everyone else in the SOC away last year so if you say we didn't play everyone, I guess you are correct. Would it have mattered if Burg blew out everyone in the SOC and we Blew them out. I don't believe so. As far as bigger stronger kids, Ironton is probably not a good example of that. Our kids for the most part other than one player hadn't touched the weight room until this summer. It will be enjoyable from the stands to watch the OVC throughout.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

IBTT are you as good forecasting bball as you are football?

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Junior high dominance means nothing in High School once everyone else catches up. To think no one in this area will be able to play with them is insane. Porstmoutn, warren, Athens, Chesapeake, Logan elm, and yes even wheelersburg and Waverly might not agree!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Ukfanatic wrote:Junior high dominance means nothing in High School once everyone else catches up. To think no one in this area will be able to play with them is insane. Porstmoutn, warren, Athens, Chesapeake, Logan elm, and yes even wheelersburg and Waverly might not agree!
He said no one in the area would be able to touch their football team this year to. How did there season go anyway? :lol:

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Burg came to play in football, I will give you that. They were the better team this year. Congrats!! I also hope they keep going and represent southern ohio and win it all. As far as basketball, I believe Portsmouth will be a tough win this season as I feel too Chesepeake and fairland. Oak Hill always does a good job, but Ironton will give everyone a tough go this year, the next 3 years should be exciting for the Tigers. Everyone has an opinion, that is mine.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

IBTT wrote:Burg came to play in football, I will give you that. They were the better team this year. Congrats!! I also hope they keep going and represent southern ohio and win it all. As far as basketball, I believe Portsmouth will be a tough win this season as I feel too Chesepeake and fairland. Oak Hill always does a good job, but Ironton will give everyone a tough go this year, the next 3 years should be exciting for the Tigers. Everyone has an opinion, that is mine.
I don't think anyone has any problem with a statement like that. Some of your past statement however about total domination, no one can stay on the field or court with us, teams will be scared of us after a few snaps, and acting like the state championship is yours before you ever play a game tends to rub people the wrong way.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I agree with IBTT. They will be good as juniors and seniors. But basketball changes dramatically in high school. The court is longer and wider. Space eaters have to cover more space. Charlie large is a great junior high player but I've seen players like that get lost in high school and not be so dominant.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I have seen all the kids mentioned above several times and Tanner Holden is the best of the bunch. IMO, he is the best Jr. High player I have ever seen around our area. Not saying he is, but he is the best I have seen.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Tanner's dad, Rodney Holden, was a very talented player for Marshall back in the mid-1980's who helped the Herd to its last two trips to the NCAA tournament. If Tanner is anywhere near as good as his daddy, he will be quite a player.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I will agree that Tanner is the best of that bunch with the highest ceiling. Wouldn't say he was the best i've seen at that level. Some very good jr high talent through the years, and even recently I would put the Allison boy from Porstmouth ahead of him at that age.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

breadandbutter7 wrote:Is the freshman Tanner Holden the real deal? Haven't been able to see him but thoughts?
i've watched him play a couple times and yes he is the real deal. he has the potential to be another andrew burleson or cam miller

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I agree tanner has the highest ceiling just based on the fact he's probably going to be somewhere between 6'6 to 6'8, athletic with skills

Return to “Boys Basketball”