Jackson @ River Valley

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Jackson @ River Valley

Post by Ironman92 »

toldya wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:13 pm Here is the deal with me and officials. I have made thousands of post. I have never blamed the refs for the lack of success of my team. It should never come down to that moment. Make every field goal, get every rebound, make all foul shots, have no turnovers and maybe then we can blame the officials. So I often hop in when fans blame officials for the outcome.

Yeah it does seem to irritate some fans.
I make a lot of posts on here and we’ve lost 5 games. Trying to remember when I blamed an official for one of our losses. Are you reaching a bit? I post game updates and mention officials, fouls and foul troubles. I know I’ve mentioned officials doing good jobs.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I think you are pretty fair Ironman92.

We all have bias. Every one of us. When I’m scouting or simply watching — I rarely notice the officials. When my son was playing and now coaching I always notice them.

You don’t blame the officials though. You might point out a missed call sometimes. And, you point out ones that help you sometimes too.

Btw I think this game tomorrow night is GREAT scheduling. The way most coaches place teams in seeding is by win loss record. Nothing more nothing less. You need to schedule a few automatics. No sarcasm here. If I was Coach Morrow I would be very happy with whoever scheduled this one. If you want to play VC twice a year go right ahead. If I’m coaching Jackson and I’m in a sectional with 4 teams who do not play in D2 conferences and get to play West and Northwest and SE and Westfall etc... twice then I’m scheduling a game like this a few times a year.

Good luck. I hope Jackson and WCH both are situated by seeding deadline to advance to The Convo if they can win a game at Southeastern. If I had to pick one I know my pick would be different than yours but trust me we are pulling for you guys — Coach Scott has nothing but good things to say about Coach Morrow and Jackson.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:48 pm I think you are pretty fair Ironman92.

We all have bias. Every one of us. When I’m scouting or simply watching — I rarely notice the officials. When my son was playing and now coaching I always notice them.

You don’t blame the officials though. You might point out a missed call sometimes. And, you point out ones that help you sometimes too.

Btw I think this game tomorrow night is GREAT scheduling. The way most coaches place teams in seeding is by win loss record. Nothing more nothing less. You need to schedule a few automatics. No sarcasm here. If I was Coach Morrow I would be very happy with whoever scheduled this one. If you want to play VC twice a year go right ahead. If I’m coaching Jackson and I’m in a sectional with 4 teams who do not play in D2 conferences and get to play West and Northwest and SE and Westfall etc... twice then I’m scheduling a game like this a few times a year.

Good luck. I hope Jackson and WCH both are situated by seeding deadline to advance to The Convo if they can win a game at Southeastern. If I had to pick one I know my pick would be different than yours but trust me we are pulling for you guys — Coach Scott has nothing but good things to say about Coach Morrow and Jackson.
Thanks, appreciate it.

My buddy texted about an hour ago and asked who Jackson would have to beat in sectional to get to the Convo...I replied:

0.5 Zane Trace
2% River Valley
3% Hillsboro
6% Miami Trace
13% Unioto
18.5% Gallia Academy
18.9% McClain
19.1% Waverly
19.1% Washington

Every team has about 5 games before the draw and everyone has 2-3 tough ones. Literally every game night these % will change, and maybe greatly

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:48 pm
Hey! Westfall is a D2 too! Lol

I do think that Unioto and Zane Trace do a good job of challenging themselves in the nonconference since like you said, the SVC is a D3 conference and will have some cupcakes.

I also like this game for Jackson. It’s a time to get people varsity minutes assuming you play well.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

We need a win. BAD!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I say the winner of this get the Gene Layton traveling trophy

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 am
LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:12 pm This is one of those games that makes you wonder ...

Is one of the ADs from the other town or school? How did these 2 find each other?

Jackson has this one. Stay healthy and we will see you Friday.
Well they were in our league for some years. We have shared basketball coaches over the years and most importantly let’s remember where Jackson baskeball was just 3 years ago, and it was worse before that. Times have changed and I’d rather face a Gallia Academy or Logan or Warren but up to pretty recently....we needed River Valley on our schedule. Hopefully this is the last year.

Washington playing Whiteoak is similar except River Valley is closer and bigger. Pretty even on basketball the past 5 years as well.
Probably only a 35 minute drive? This has been a competitive series over the years. Not sure of the wins and losses but I think it would be safe to say both teams have won their share of games.

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

River Valley is getting better they played Vinton Co. to a 10 point game and the game was a close game thru out the game. Jackson should win this one, but you should never take no team lightly, because any team can beat you on a given night. I remember just a couple year ago at Jackson in the sectional tourney that Oak Hill face RV in sectional and Oak Hill was a heavy favorite to beat them and RV had Oak Hill on the ropes and Oak Hill won ,but was really lucky to win that night. Jackson should win by 20 + points, but never under estimate your opponent!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SEOAL74 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm River Valley is getting better they played Vinton Co. to a 10 point game and the game was a close game thru out the game. Jackson should win this one, but you should never take no team lightly, because any team can beat you on a given night. I remember just a couple year ago at Jackson in the sectional tourney that Oak Hill face RV in sectional and Oak Hill was a heavy favorite to beat them and RV had Oak Hill on the ropes and Oak Hill won ,but was really lucky to win that night. Jackson should win by 20 + points, but never under estimate your opponent!
I was at that sectional game and agree 100%

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I understand the “don’t underestimate your opponent” saying. However what we say on here has nothing to do with Jackson being ready or not ready to play.

If we are being real then Jackson should win this game by 25.

The game after VC “only” beat RV by 10 Meigs beat RV by 51. 51!!!

Jackson beat VC by 25 and Meigs by 10.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm I understand the “don’t underestimate your opponent” saying. However what we say on here has nothing to do with Jackson being ready or not ready to play.

That’s all fair. I expect a 25-30 point win but as I specifically posted earlier. They’ve allowed large runs on the road. I’ll be happy if they avoid foul trouble, win each quarter and not get off to bad start or allow a large run....that might only result in a 12-15 point win but I’d be good with that even though I expect more. Not sure we’ll have all of our players.

I trust the kids and staff, that Hillsboro game was one to forget and move on and I expect they will.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Fair enough.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm I understand the “don’t underestimate your opponent” saying. However what we say on here has nothing to do with Jackson being ready or not ready to play.

You think you guys will play tomorrow? Lynchburg Clay only 2-12 and I think their top player is done but I think their 6’7 Clayton Cartaino is now eligible to play. He’ll provide a matchup problem if they can get it to him.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Not sure. Certainly hope so

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Freshman

Jackson 10
River Valley 2

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

15-8 after 1

Embarrassing defensive effort by Jackson

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson 30
River Valley 18

Half (freshman)

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Keep us posted.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Need a good convincing road win tonight and get back on track. New week Ironmen. Starts tonight. Good luck!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

After 3

Jackson 44-33

Return to “Boys Basketball”