Question on SOC radio coverage

Preppy
Waterboy

Question on SOC radio coverage

Post by Preppy »

New Boston travels to Eastern tonight for what will be deciding the league championship. Why would there not be radio coverage for this game? I heard this morning on 99.3 that their stations will carry 3 games and they are all the SOC 2 games which that seems to be the normal for them, it is rare that you can catch the SOC small schools on 99.3 or 107.5. And from what I have heard, the Pike county stations will carry Waverly and Piketon games. With this being one of the bigger games of the year I am just wondering why no coverage. It may sound like it, but I am not trying to get down on the radio as it is great that they cover high school games, I just do not get why no one would cover this one. I guess all in all it comes down to that I cannot go and I would like to hear it at least. :(

captaintrojan
Waterboy

Re: Question on SOC radio coverage

Post by captaintrojan »

Eastern has already clinched. Eastern has 0 SOC I losses and New Boston has 2.

Preppy
Waterboy

Post by Preppy »

captaintrojan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 am Eastern has already clinched. Eastern has 0 SOC I losses and New Boston has 2.
I could be wrong, but I thought Eastern had clinched for sure a share of the title but New Boston still had a chance at sharing if they won tonight and Eastern loses tonights game and their final league game. That's just what I thought. As said, I could be wrong.

captaintrojan
Waterboy

Post by captaintrojan »

Sorry you are right. I think Eastern has 2 SOC games left. NB and Clay? Eastern is up 2 games on NB so eastern would have to lose these last 2 games in order for NB to get a share.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

While New Boston could definitely beat Eastern tonight —- do you think Clay would have any chance?

The radio coverage usually comes down to sponsors. New Boston might be able to put a few sponsors together but Eastern is tougher.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Preppy
Waterboy

Post by Preppy »

I agree. Would be tough for Eastern to drop the last two after the season they have had. Just thought tonight would be a really good ball game. I get it with the sponsors and really am not trying to knock the radio stations. Just me personally would like to be able to hear it.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I understand that. I would too. I went to the last match up and it was highly entertaining.

markymark1969
Freshman Team

Post by markymark1969 »

Preppy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am New Boston travels to Eastern tonight for what will be deciding the league championship. Why would there not be radio coverage for this game? I heard this morning on 99.3 that their stations will carry 3 games and they are all the SOC 2 games which that seems to be the normal for them, it is rare that you can catch the SOC small schools on 99.3 or 107.5. And from what I have heard, the Pike county stations will carry Waverly and Piketon games. With this being one of the bigger games of the year I am just wondering why no coverage. It may sound like it, but I am not trying to get down on the radio as it is great that they cover high school games, I just do not get why no one would cover this one. I guess all in all it comes down to that I cannot go and I would like to hear it at least. :(
Appreciate the post and your point is valid. To give you a little insight, sponsorship has a lot to do with coverage. Cost as well. We try to keep travel down as much as possible until the post-season. Also we are a little hamstrung with the AM being down right now and are limited to a few schools, such as Portsmouth, Notre Dame, West and Clay on the AM because of it won't reach out into the county. Also, the bulk of schedule was made during the summer, because of the way we sell sponsorship. It can be subject to change,(and we have changed it) but then some of those factors that I just mentioned come into play. Again, you make a valid point and it will be taken under consideration for the future. Our aim is try to provide the best coverage we can. Thank you and keep listening.

Preppy
Waterboy

Post by Preppy »

markymark1969 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:12 pm
Preppy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am New Boston travels to Eastern tonight for what will be deciding the league championship. Why would there not be radio coverage for this game? I heard this morning on 99.3 that their stations will carry 3 games and they are all the SOC 2 games which that seems to be the normal for them, it is rare that you can catch the SOC small schools on 99.3 or 107.5. And from what I have heard, the Pike county stations will carry Waverly and Piketon games. With this being one of the bigger games of the year I am just wondering why no coverage. It may sound like it, but I am not trying to get down on the radio as it is great that they cover high school games, I just do not get why no one would cover this one. I guess all in all it comes down to that I cannot go and I would like to hear it at least. :(
Appreciate the post and your point is valid. To give you a little insight, sponsorship has a lot to do with coverage. Cost as well. We try to keep travel down as much as possible until the post-season. Also we are a little hamstrung with the AM being down right now and are limited to a few schools, such as Portsmouth, Notre Dame, West and Clay on the AM because of it won't reach out into the county. Also, the bulk of schedule was made during the summer, because of the way we sell sponsorship. It can be subject to change,(and we have changed it) but then some of those factors that I just mentioned come into play. Again, you make a valid point and it will be taken under consideration for the future. Our aim is try to provide the best coverage we can. Thank you and keep listening.
Thank you for the reply. And all of that makes complete sense. Please no that I was or am not knocking the station. Just had that question and as stated before, a game that I will not be able to attend and was hoping it would be carried. Once again, thank you for the reply.

markymark1969
Freshman Team

Post by markymark1969 »

Understand. Sorry we could not provide coverage for you tonight.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

South Webster Minford and Wheelersburg have the boosters for the radio coverage. And that’s the facts

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Mark won’t say this but I bet that if you asked the guys who go out and call these games they would rather be at Eastern tonight calling the New Boston game than one of the Games they are calling tonight. There’s a stinker on the schedule —- but don’t tell their Grandparents I said that

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

WNXT goes with the schools that pay the bills (advertisers). Eastern/New Boston doesn't pay the bills. If you notice, they typically at SOC II matchups excluding Waverly and Oak Hill regardless of records. Can't blame them...they tryin to turn a buck like the rest of us.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”