Coach Norm Persin

The Flash
Varsity

Coach Norm Persin

Post by The Flash »

What’s everyones thoughts on coach Persin? There’s no question he’s among the greatest our area has seen but there’s still a group of bad apples that thinks he only wins through recruiting. In my opinion, the coaching job he’s done at Oak Hill has surpassed the impressive resume he accumulated at Chesapeake. Thoughts?

bobcat2015
Riding the Bench

Re: Coach Norm Persin

Post by bobcat2015 »

Unless there has been an actual violation of recruiting for others to insinuate it happens is not the case. Could it? Possibly but it's never been proven to my knowledge. I don't think you can fault a kid for wanting to play for a bordering county school with a hall of fame coach when their own school's program hasn't been goon in awhile (Jackson). Times have changed now there so I think you'll see less people leaving. Coach Morrow seems to have the program in good order. Regardless of talent coach Persin is the best in SEO. He's proven it time and again. But yes his job at Oak Hill is definitely rivaling the job he did at Chesapeake.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

Agree. For example Can’t blame the Darby boy for wanting to leave a bad Rock Hill program to play for a legend 20 minutes up route 93.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

And I didn’t mean to insinuate “recruiting” in my original post as if I have knowledge that Persin formally recruits. Just used it loosely since it’s a term that gets thrown around SEOPS a lot

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great coach! Kids want to win and some will leave their current situation for a better one. It has happened for years and will continue for years as well. Coaches don't even need to say anything for kids to want to move from a program like Rock Hill or Jackson (3-4 years ago) to a successful one like Oak Hill.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

The absolute best in the business, and been the best in the business a long, long time. Wait a minute, doesn’t he yell and scream at those poor little kids!?? Wow 😯

Anyways..I think what he’s done at Oak Hill definitely rivals what he did at Chesapeake.

Making offers you can't refuse
Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

No question he gets the most out of his talent . Kids play hard the right way. Best in the area and has won with talent and non talent. Fun to watch coach . Watched him for years in The OVC. None better. Wish him the very best as he plans to hang it up one day . Deserving

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Norm is a great coach. Very impressed with his yearly run to the regionals at Peake. His teams are always one of the best in their division.

bobcat2015
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcat2015 »

The Flash wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:11 pm And I didn’t mean to insinuate “recruiting” in my original post as if I have knowledge that Persin formally recruits. Just used it loosely since it’s a term that gets thrown around SEOPS a lot

Flash sorry wasn't trying to isinuate you isinuated it! My point must've come off wrong; I was referring to people who isinuate that it goes on not you. Great post and discussion.

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

bobcat2015 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:18 pm
The Flash wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:11 pm And I didn’t mean to insinuate “recruiting” in my original post as if I have knowledge that Persin formally recruits. Just used it loosely since it’s a term that gets thrown around SEOPS a lot

Flash sorry wasn't trying to isinuate you isinuated it! My point must've come off wrong; I was referring to people who isinuate that it goes on not you. Great post and discussion.
None taken. Great feedback from everyone

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

I always think of that song ,whiskey river on my mind when I talk to him ,what a great guy.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

I will say this from the people that talk about him such as officials and Coaches in our area. He is as good as guy as he is a Coach . Does so much to help all such as Tom Hardy when he was ill and others . No one loves the game and people around it like he does . Guess why he refuses to step down. Hope he coaches forever he is fun to watch 😂

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

The best in the area . I do think he gets by with a ton directed at officials. Refs must think a state title gives him that right.. lol. He is definitely fun to watch!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I've never had the pleasure of meeting Coach Persin in-person but 724 wins and counting says it all courtside for the man as a Head Coach ... he plays golf with Coach Combs and Ty Webb so he can't be all bad LOL ... I first saw a Norm Persin coached Chesapeake team when the Peake played a game vs an out of state team at Nationwide Arena ... I sat down and watched a Norm Persin Peake team dismantle their opponent with fundamentals, I vividly recall seeing the Panthers take the ball out of bounds , go the length of the court without the ball touching for floor for a layup ... I KNEW that THIS guy was my kind of coach LOL ...

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Norm has most wins in southeast district history and Pete Rose has most hits in baseball history. Norm not the greatest coach and Pete not the greatest hitter. Both great in terms of success and Pete played the right way and Norm’s players play the right way. I think if Pete were 60 years younger and lived in a bordering District, I bet he’d play for Norm. Pete likes to win and Norm wins.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

All time great. I had the pleasure to play for coach Persin during my high school career. One thing I can say about him is he absolutely hates to lose. The theatrics and animations you see on the side lines is the passion and love he has for the game. He taught me a lot about basketball and even life lessons. Can say he helped mold me into the man I am today and I thank him for that. I couldn’t imagine playing for another coach in high school.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Persin is one of several coaches in this region that I would want my son to play for. Old school, yes, but teaches fundamentals and discipline.

Return to “Boys Basketball”