Meigs @ NY

VisionQuest
All State

Meigs @ NY

Post by VisionQuest »

Saw Meigs on Friday against Athens without Mattox and Darst, felt sorry for them after a 66-41 Shellacking, but then Meigs beat Marietta on Saturday night. After Friday I would have said NY hands down. Now I'm not so sure after they went to Marietta and won 74-66. Now I think it will be close and both teams will have their track shoes on. NY will have to shut Baer down, Faceguard him possibly??? Thoughts?

tvc_fan
Varsity

Re: Meigs @ NY

Post by tvc_fan »

Well my first post without rose colored glasses on for Meigs, I haven't seen NY play yet, but have seen where they lost to Eastern and I feel tjatvMeigs still has enough talent to win this game. If NY wants to win this game they keep the balls out of Beers and Bartrums hands, the rest of the team only averages 6 points per game and also when Baer and Bartrum aren't handling the ball, the others tend to turn the ball over.

I was very surprised about the victory over Marietta, but after hearing all the shambles going on there and 4 players quitting, I can understand.

I am.going to say NY wins this one.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

NY in a close one. If Meigs was able to bring up a couple 8th graders then I would pick Meigs by 20.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TVC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 pm NY in a close one. If Meigs was able to bring up a couple 8th graders then I would pick Meigs by 20.
Probably so

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

I'd think NY will win this one, although nothing surprises me. Hopefully NY's coaching staff has them prepared.

If you ain't first, you're last!
tvc_fan
Varsity

Post by tvc_fan »

TVC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 pm NY in a close one. If Meigs was able to bring up a couple 8th graders then I would pick Meigs by 20.
8th graders ate good, but I don't think guarantees a victory at varsity level. Whole new ball game, new coaches...outside of one season 7th &8th grade MEIGS boys have dominated the Jr. High level.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

tvc_fan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:13 pm
8th graders ate good, but I don't think guarantees a victory at varsity level. Whole new ball game, new coaches...outside of one season 7th &8th grade MEIGS boys have dominated the Jr. High level.
Of course varsity is a whole other animal..but if what Meigs has at varsity level on court or in rotation can be improved with 2-3 of their 8th graders they would therefore be a bit better. Is everyone in the varsity rotation of players better than the top 2-3 8th grade players. I only watched one game by my answer is no....not a slam but those top 8th grade kids are big, mature, strong and skilled. I have no doubt Meigs varsity would be improved if we had Kentucky rules

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

57-62 - Meigs with the win! NY was up around 15. Had control. Then we try stall ball with 6-8 minutes left. Definitely outcoached - why he had them do that is beyond me. We had momentum and scoring easy. Then it all stopped. NY scored a few points from that point forward. Sadness continues in Buchtel.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

They say Fry is a great coach. And sounds like NYs coach still learning. Sometimes that is the difference.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

therealNY wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm 57-62 - Meigs with the win! NY was up around 15. Had control. Then we try stall ball with 6-8 minutes left. Definitely outcoached - why he had them do that is beyond me. We had momentum and scoring easy. Then it all stopped. NY scored a few points from that point forward. Sadness continues in Buchtel.
OMG! NY speaks truth. I couldn't believe what I want witnessing. If that coach would have got stuck on the toilet at half, NY would have won by 20. Those poor kids! They deserve better.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

bburner wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 pm
therealNY wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm 57-62 - Meigs with the win! NY was up around 15. Had control. Then we try stall ball with 6-8 minutes left. Definitely outcoached - why he had them do that is beyond me. We had momentum and scoring easy. Then it all stopped. NY scored a few points from that point forward. Sadness continues in Buchtel.
OMG! NY speaks truth. I couldn't believe what I want witnessing. If that coach would have got stuck on the toilet at half, NY would have won by 20. Those poor kids! They deserve better.

Couldn’t believe what I was seeing lol

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

This isn't that surprising. They can still win a few games. Meigs still has talent they just needed to come along. Weston Baer is legit. He just needed to be turned loose. Now that the hand has been forced with the loss of the big offensive weapons, he has delivered. It only gets better from here for him. I expect to see his name on the 1,000 point banner in a couple of years.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

Easy to blame coaching. A 15 point lead with 6 minutes to go, should be easy to hold with a skilled team. Run an offense through a couple times and eat time off the clock. Sounds like we have a couple of parents on here who think they know more about basketball than the coach. I believe they are hired on a one year contract so by all means apply for the job next season.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Realist wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 pm Easy to blame coaching. A 15 point lead with 6 minutes to go, should be easy to hold with a skilled team. Run an offense through a couple times and eat time off the clock. Sounds like we have a couple of parents on here who think they know more about basketball than the coach. I believe they are hired on a one year contract so by all means apply for the job next season.
I personally don’t think he’s a bad coach or a bad guy. But that doesn’t mean he was or wasn’t on his game tonight.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

therealNY wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 pm
bburner wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:07 pm

Couldn’t believe what I was seeing lol
With a 9 point lead running clock was the right thing to do.
Coach didn't make the bad passes, or take shots that shouldn't have been taken.
The Buckeyes have 1 senior and while it may be the halfway point in the season they showed some inexperience tonight.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

What is NYs record now?

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Well they have 2 seniors. And trying to run out the clock with 8 minutes to go hurt them. By the time he needed them to get some more points everyone of them was cold as ice and the #33 fouled out. And yes it’s obvious he doesn’t cause the no boxing out, the missed foul shots, the stupid passes etc. Hell they all looked so confused trying to inbound the ball!

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 pm What is NYs record now?
Doesn’t matter. Lol.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

therealNY wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 pm What is NYs record now?
Doesn’t matter. Lol.
Has to be further than halfway? Ok then how many have they played?

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 pm They say Fry is a great coach. And sounds like NYs coach still learning. Sometimes that is the difference.
Coach Fry is the best coach Meigs has had in decades. 32 wins in the two previous seasons and loses two key starters and the team responds with two straight wins on the road. Their poor record this year is caused by Injuries and kids ineligible due to grades. Should rebound nicely next year. But, Meigs will probably fire Fry because that it just what Meigs does. Sad.

Return to “Boys Basketball”