Freshman Team

Re: Meigs at Marietti 1/20

Post by Pitstop Billy »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:58 pm
HamPorter wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm
Here at Preps, they want you to Sugarcoat everything
And act like these things don't happen in real life,
Bury your head in the sand that way the problems don't exist. Even though these things are common knowledge in the area and news spreads like wildfire. It's funny really how they lock these threads down over the smallest things.
Vision Quest is my favorite poster. They will be totally normal and rationale and then one thing happens and BOOM! this generation is a bunch of whiny crybabies lol very entertaining to watch a meltdown every so often.
I'm tired of seeing these threads Locked because you may hurt someone's feelings by telling the truth and talking. About real life situations that are common knowledge. In the Seinfeld episodes we had the Soup Nazi and he would say no Soup for you. Here at Preps we have the Thread Nazi and he says no more comments from you.
And you are starting to catch on

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Marietta is a proud program . Not many tournament runs , but to suggest they should play a PVC schedule is absurd. With a good, solid coach they can be pretty good with the group of young players they have. Stability with a good, experienced, winning coach they can be good. Hope the powers in charge make the right decision . Great respect for that school and program !

marietta
Waterboy

Post by marietta »

All pretty accurate statements about Marietta athletics. I believe no winning seasons in basketball since 2011, and football even longer. Stability is important in the athletics to allow a coach to build a team and program. The teams at Marietta that still have success have long tenured coaches in place (cross country, girls and boys soccer, volleyball). There is something to continuity.
Let's hope basketball gets turned around. Football seems to be heading in the right direction.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I hate to hear of the struggles in Marietta land. Can one of the Marietta faithful shoot me a message and explain some of the problems going on?

I'm glad to see Mr. Duckworth on the school board. Without knowing the details, him being on the board is undoubtedly a step in the right direction.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Maybe Marietta can leave the league they are in now and them and Warren can join the TVC. Move a couple team out of the Ohio into the Hocking for them.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
marietta
Waterboy

Post by marietta »

The league Marietta is in now contributes to their problems. I agree that you have to play better competition to improve - but as an example, Marietta football picked up their first win in the ECOL last season, a league they joined in 2011. That equates to I believe a 1-34 leave record since joking the league.
I believe only cross country, golf, boys soccer & tennis have won league championships for Marietta since they joined the ECOL. Tough league

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 am Maybe Marietta can leave the league they are in now and them and Warren can join the TVC. Move a couple team out of the Ohio into the Hocking for them.
Heard the TVC was only willing to take 1 team. Haven’t looked at the breakdown, but I think that would leave an uneven number of teams. Would make total sense to take 2 (Warren and Marietta makes most sense). You could have a bigger school Division by adding Warren/Marietta, pretty much having all D2 schools together and the other division with the smaller schools.

The ECOL is dead in the water after next season, from what I’ve heard. Zanesville is leaving the conference after this season and New Philly and Dover informing the league of their intentions of leaving after next season. Marietta NEVER should have left the SEOAL in the first place. Our previous principal (part of Marietta’s problems), was from the Cambridge area and basically forced the AD to get us in the ECOL. The principal had plenty of connections at the member schools that would see to it Marietta was voted in. Marietta has basically been the “red headed stepchild” of the ECOL ever since they’ve been in the league. Very noticeable when it comes to voting on League awards. Coaches of the various sports make it very clear the HATE having to travel to Marietta for a game.

Having coach Duckworth on the school board is a very very good thing.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Don't remember Marietta having great success in SEOAL . They wanted in ECOL way before the former principal , supposedly, helped them in . Their problem has been too many football and basketball coaches over last 10 years. Warren coming into ECOL would be a good add for everyone. They've been interested for a while. Good luck Tigers !

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

Coach Fry has won 32 games the previous two seasons making him the best Meigs boys coach in decades. This year the team has struggled because of injuries and players ineligible due to grades. So, of course It is time to fire the coach. Because that is what we do. Stupid!

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Chuck Finley wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 am Coach Fry has won 32 games the previous two seasons making him the best Meigs boys coach in decades. This year the team has struggled because of injuries and players ineligible due to grades. So, of course It is time to fire the coach. Because that is what we do. Stupid!
Maybe it's time to organize Meigs fans. Have them all call Todd Snowden and demand that the coach is retained. If he wants to keep his cushy job on the school board, he will listen.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

tigerblue wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:07 pm
noreply66 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 am Maybe Marietta can leave the league they are in now and them and Warren can join the TVC. Move a couple team out of the Ohio into the Hocking for them.
Heard the TVC was only willing to take 1 team. Haven’t looked at the breakdown, but I think that would leave an uneven number of teams. Would make total sense to take 2 (Warren and Marietta makes most sense). You could have a bigger school Division by adding Warren/Marietta, pretty much having all D2 schools together and the other division with the smaller schools.

The ECOL is dead in the water after next season, from what I’ve heard. Zanesville is leaving the conference after this season and New Philly and Dover informing the league of their intentions of leaving after next season. Marietta NEVER should have left the SEOAL in the first place. Our previous principal (part of Marietta’s problems), was from the Cambridge area and basically forced the AD to get us in the ECOL. The principal had plenty of connections at the member schools that would see to it Marietta was voted in. Marietta has basically been the “red headed stepchild” of the ECOL ever since they’ve been in the league. Very noticeable when it comes to voting on League awards. Coaches of the various sports make it very clear the HATE having to travel to Marietta for a game.

Without getting into the other parts of this post since I'm not from the area, I believe that the TVC Ohio has 7 schools in it, thus adding 1 would make sense there. That could be why they only want one and perhaps they don't have a school willing to drop to the Hocking (and would put it at 10, I believe)

Hopefully, Marietta can find a league if the ECOL falls apart.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

MarauderMadness wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am
Chuck Finley wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:29 am Coach Fry has won 32 games the previous two seasons making him the best Meigs boys coach in decades. This year the team has struggled because of injuries and players ineligible due to grades. So, of course It is time to fire the coach. Because that is what we do. Stupid!
Maybe it's time to organize Meigs fans. Have them all call Todd Snowden and demand that the coach is retained. If he wants to keep his cushy job on the school board, he will listen.
What gets me... I have never seen him at a basketball game. But the reason last summer they wanted to get of coach Fry was a school member son never got much playing time and SHE never like that

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am
tigerblue wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Without getting into the other parts of this post since I'm not from the area, I believe that the TVC Ohio has 7 schools in it, thus adding 1 would make sense there. That could be why they only want one and perhaps they don't have a school willing to drop to the Hocking (and would put it at 10, I believe)

Hopefully, Marietta can find a league if the ECOL falls apart.
The TVC talk was was hearsay, so take it for what it’s worth. Maybe somebody knows/heard something different........idk.

Marietta needs to be in a league in the district it plays in, IMO. Sure helps when it comes to tournament time and seedings are divied out. While the ECOL is a very tough league (combetitive wise), it’s hard to get a gauge on where on a team that plays a good portion of its games above and around i70. Not enough games against teams within the SE district to compare scores/games with, as compared to SE district teams that play the vast majority of its games within the district.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Marietta and Warren are screwed because zero population close to them since Parkersburg doesn't count

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

Having worked and coached at both Marietta and Warren, I can tell you that the enrollment of both schools is declining. Warren will likely see an uptick as the new schools are being built but unless something major happens they will be Division 2 for a long time. Marietta has the challenge of 4 private schools in the community and 1 more private schools less than a mile away in Williamstown. The public elementary school in Williamstown is also being built to complicate the choices parents have for their children's education.

The long time foes of the SEOAL of Logan, Warren, and Marietta are facing decisions that will greatly impact the athletic future of all 3 schools. Aligning your District affiliation with your league affiliation is a common goal that most schools try to achieve. For Logan, this means going north as a Division 1 school they play in the central District. Long gone is the Division 1 Southeastern Sectional and with no other Division one schools in SE Ohio, it will only come back if the OHSAA goes to 5 divisions instead of 4 thus making Logan and others division 2. I would think this is not likely, but possible in the future. My trips to Logan to coach, scout, or watch games have always been a rewarding experience as the people extend a handshake, a nice smile and a warm welcome. The Pizza Crossing and Jack's Steakhouse are high on my priority list of my trips to Logan. My memory of falling off the stage at Logan for varsity basketball is certainly lasting.

If Warren and Marietta want to be in a league in SE Ohio the TVC is the obvious choice for both. This may or may not be wanted by Vinton County, Athens, and the other larger schools in the league. If this ever happened, it would open the door for Galia and Jackson to return as the other 2 division 2 schools in the geographic area the TVC encompasses. This would create a D -2 , a D-3, and a D-4 Division of the TVC and make it the premier league in SE OHIO. In this format, schools would play in their division and then be able to schedule up or down as the talent goes up and down over the years giving each school much flexibility in scheduling and still leaving the natural games that the fans want to see.

Like all the other suggestions, this is easier said than done. Another option would be for Warren, Marietta, and Logan to reform and try to recruit other schools to come with them. This is also very hard to do and takes much time and planning and may not make sense for Logan.

I played in the C.O.L, and coached in the SEOAL, and also the ECOL. I have also watched and scouted hundreds of games over 3 decades in the TVC. I take great pride in the SE District teams making it to the state tourney as it is so very hard to do. We do not know what is in store for the future, but change is likely going to happen for all three schools and in the world of high school athletics it takes time and careful planning if it is going to be lasting and be a positive experience for the student athletes, the families, and the communities.

Stated goals are important to each school and athletic teams, bands, choir, etc. are all the face of the community as they travel and preform. Getting it right is important as it is part of the overall experience that students receive and carry with them into college and beyond.

Thanks for the kind words and I will do my very best.

Coach Duckworth

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

itsme wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 pm
MarauderMadness wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am
What gets me... I have never seen him at a basketball game. But the reason last summer they wanted to get of coach Fry was a school member son never got much playing time and SHE never like that
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head!

Return to “Boys Basketball”