VC @ Athens 1/9

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Re: VC @ Athens 1/9

Post by Orestes' »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am
Coach's wife wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 pm Good to see Hynes back in this one, although you could tell he was still nursing that ankle. Also good to see Saltzman back in limited minutes. Dalton Cozart found his stroke tonight. My napkin Stats had him with 15 and Chubb with 16. 7 3s between the 2. Athens never quit in this one. At the end of the day Turnovers hurt Athens. Nevan Yates was the X-Factor-I think he had 4 3s and about 16 on the night.
Maybe we'll stop hearing about daddy ball now? :o
Sadly, I doubt that happens. Last year seems to replaying itself over, Coach's son was off to a slow start and then turned it up to finish the season strong. Carried his team in the Sectional win over Sheridan scoring 22 to lead them into the Convo. I suppose many forget that.
No matter the naysayers, that's something to be proud of dad.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Orestes' wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am
Coach's wife wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am

Maybe we'll stop hearing about daddy ball now? :o
Sadly, I doubt that happens. Last year seems to replaying itself over, Coach's son was off to a slow start and then turned it up to finish the season strong. Carried his team in the Sectional win over Sheridan scoring 22 to lead them into the Convo. I suppose many forget that.
Not sure if you read the rules of this Forum. Even a hint of trying to reveal another posters Identity can be grounds for Removal. Tread lightly. Orestes-King of the Mountain.

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am Sadly, I doubt that happens. Last year seems to replaying itself over, Coach's son was off to a slow start and then turned it up to finish the season strong. Carried his team in the Sectional win over Sheridan scoring 22 to lead them into the Convo. I suppose many forget that.
Not sure if you read the rules of this Forum. Even a hint of trying to reveal another posters Identity can be grounds for Removal. Tread lightly. Orestes-King of the Mountain.
Guilty conscience much? :lol: I see I hit a nerve. Makes one wonder. But I simply told the kid's dad to be proud of his son, whoever that may be. So what, is he hiding from that identity and worried about someone giving it away? Careful Mr. Spokane, or you may reveal your own identity. :mrgreen:

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

[I feel like the X factor in the first half of the game was Maxfield. The kid kept them in check with steals and defense the majority of the first half and helped keep the game close with his defense and offensive rebounding until he had to come out with 3 fouls. Once he came out, with 3 or so minutes to go, that's when the Vinton county assault took place for that 12 point run. Why was he down low guarding Dameron? That's a complete mismatch when he does well covering the top and probably eliminates some of those three pointers. Its rare to see him get out hustled on the court and takes teams right out of the game with the charges he takes. Oddly enough I haven't seen him take many of those lately. That always seems to give the team a "charge" as it did with him taking the two just in the first quarter.

Hynes and Maxfield play like warriors out there, but I guess that goes with the football mentality of those two.

Agreed, it was good to see Saltzman back out there. It will take time to get his game legs back, but maybe that is what is needed to start controlling this offense again. You can see a massive difference between Cozart and Williams bringing up the ball. Cozart gets rid of it early on the edge creating more scoring opportunities, where as Williams has very little court vision and more times than not has gone into the lane trying to attack three defenders and opens up transition scoring for the other team for easy buckets. His turnovers because of that as well puts the ball in the other teams hands. Cozart is a team player!

Chubb had some quality shots the other night once he got settled in, he was just a non-factor in rebounding as was Butcher which was really needed. I think Williams and Maxfield lead the rebounding and especially the offensive rebounding. Bulldogs can't compete if thats the case.

They have been a strong first quarter team all year with exception of a few games. It would be nice to see them finish a game as strong as they start.

I regards to a few comments I saw the other day on all the technical fouls, I cant agree more. No matter the pain of the talent of the kids committing the tech, they need to be benched. They certainly bench the coach for a T. It should not have been called at all! As for the kids, inexcusable, a complete lack of respect for his the game, team, the refs and his coach when that occurs. No matter the upbringing, that is a "me" reaction for a team game. Refs ALWAYS remember and are quick on the whistle as it showed when they T up the Athens coach for what I thought was a ridiculous Technical. Again, refs talk to one another and they remember.
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 am Turnovers hurt Athens?

The Bulldogs turned the ball over just 13 times last night, which is pretty darn good for a high school team.

Vinton County had 18 turnovers.

Win the turnover battle, but lose the game by 11. Kind of odd stat.

VINTON COUNTY 73 (7-4, 5-1 TVC-Ohio)
Jake Speakman 7 13-14 27, Nevan Yates 5 3-5 17, Cameron Hamon 1 0-0 2, Naylan Yates 6 2-3 17, Bryce Damron 3 2-3 8, Shawn McCarty 0 2-2 2, Bailey Bartoe 0 0-0 0, Noah Wadell 0 0-0 0, Gavin Arbaugh 0 0-0 0; TOTALS 22 22-27 73; 3-point field goals: 7 (Nevan Yates 4, Naylan Yates 3)

ATHENS 62 (3-9, 3-3 TVC-Ohio)
Elijah Williams 3 1-2 7, Eli Chubb 6 0-0 16, Dalton Cozart 6 1-1 15, Logan Maxfield 1 3-6 5, Justin Hynes 3 1-2 7, Isaiah Butcher 4 0-0 9, Austin Koska 0 0-0 0, Micah Saltzman 0 0-0 0, Henry Gerig 1 0-0 3; TOTALS 24 6-11 62; 3-point field goals: 8 (Chubb 4, Cozart 2, Butcher, Gerig 1 apiece)
I suppose I should of said Turned the ball over at the worst moments, as in when you are making a run and clawing your way back in it, gaining momentum only to come down the court and throw the ball away with bad passes, happened a few times later in the game when Athens was within 8 or so.
Last edited by Allthewayup11 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Great post Alltheway.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

P.S. Tired of all the "Daddyball" comments. These coaches give their personal time, care for these boys, take time away from their family and try to educate these boys on how to handle pressure and be young men. There will always be a preference to play your kid a little more than others because typical they know the caliber or type of person their kid is. by what they have taught them and learning responsibility. That's not a bad thing.

In retrospect these coaches are probably tougher on their kid more so than any other kid on the court as well. I believe these people were assessed just like any other coach who interviewed for the opportunity and committed themselves to do the best job they could with what he/she has to work with. I have my opinions and am not shy about expressing them. I don't agree with every decision, and enjoy seeing my kid and other kids take the spot light equitably with all the boys. They all deserve a chance to shine and feel good about their accomplishments. This even goes for the Coach, his kid, his wife and all individuals who support this game, and make it possible for others to enjoy and learn from.

This isn't life, its a great game and a tool for these young men and woman. Some learn and some do not, some will continue to be a "me" kid, and others will grow from the experience and even move on to the next level. As we move forward, embrace these moments and look for the best in it. I sometimes have to remind myself in my ignorance and frustration of my sporting knowledge.

I am not a spiritual man, but occasionally I have to have a reset and these are one of those times.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better off than one, because together they can work more effectively. If one of them falls down, the other can help him up. But if someone is alone and falls, it’s just too bad, because there is no one to help him. If it is cold, two can sleep together and stay warm, but how can you keep warm by yourself Two people can resist an attack that would defeat one person alone. A rope made of three cords is hard to break.

Thank you for letting me post and sorry if this offends anyone.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

very good post ^^^^^

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Orestes' wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 am
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Guilty conscience much? :lol: I see I hit a nerve. Makes one wonder. But I simply told the kid's dad to be proud of his son, whoever that may be. So what, is he hiding from that identity and worried about someone giving it away? Careful Mr. Spokane, or you may reveal your own identity. :mrgreen:
It's obvious you have some disdain for Coaches who have a Son on the team. I would say you were the one who managed to get the Thread locked that was started by Dirty Sanchez the one about starting a new coaches association. With All your Gay hashtags.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nobody told me to lock the thread. I did because it was ridicoulous.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 pm Nobody told me to lock the thread. I did because it was ridicoulous.
Exactly. You should just Delete it. Orestes contributed to it's Ridiculousness with the Gay hashtags.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:48 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 pm Nobody told me to lock the thread. I did because it was ridicoulous.
Exactly. You should just Delete it. Orestes contributed to it's Ridiculousness with the Gay hashtags.
Can’t really say that either

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:48 pm
Can’t really say that either
Really? Seems like it wasn't shutdown until all those demeaning hashtags were posted. I actually asked a legitimate question on there asking what other Coaches in the area coach their Son. All the other Ridiculous ensued after.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Where’s my popcorn 🍿

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 pm Where’s my popcorn 🍿
I'm sure you are loving this Barlow. More people on the bandwagon to Disparage a certain family, something you have been doing for years now. As if that is what we needed. Orestes and a couple more been feeding into your obvious disdain for a coach and his son who are just trying to play ball the best they know how, they don't deserve this.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm
I'm sure you are loving this Barlow. More people on the bandwagon to Disparage a certain family, something you have been doing for years now. As if that is what we needed. Orestes and a couple more been feeding into your obvious disdain for a coach and his son who are just trying to play ball the best they know how, they don't deserve this.
I’ve not added one negative comment on this thread in regard to any family. I have though laughed at all the talent that guys claim you have and the eternal optimism that you show. The Athens schedule gets much easier and you will go on a nice run here and all will be right with the world. And you can claim what you like, but this time last year you were piling on the coach yourself. Peace be unto you.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm
I’ve not added one negative comment on this thread in regard to any family. I have though laughed at all the talent that guys claim you have and the eternal optimism that you show. The Athens schedule gets much easier and you will go on a nice run here and all will be right with the world. And you can claim what you like, but this time last year you were piling on the coach yourself. Peace be unto you.
I still stand by my statement that this team has a lot of talent, going into the season all the pieces were there, nobody has stepped up to be a leader of this team IMO. At the end of the day Talent gets you no-where when you play as individuals and not as a Team and can't execute the Fundamentals. And yes, I have had some constructive criticism in the past and I may in the Future. Honestly, I'm not sure what more the coach can do at this point. If they haven't learned to play as a Team yet, can they?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's a very good question - and if I had to choose - id probably say no.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

For Athens 99 percent of those who watch realize that 7 or 8 players can be rotated and get equal minutes. Team play means team defense, passing, setting screens and for golly sakes not being happy with losing. This team simply has no individual stars so team play is the only way to win. Certainly nothing wrong saying that. The coaches wanted this job to continue the winning ways Skinner had going so I am sure they can pull this together to forge a huge winning streak starting Friday night. Good chance to have everyone play and contribute and not build a stat sheet. That was a chemistry disaster earlier in the season.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 pm
I still stand by my statement that this team has a lot of talent, going into the season all the pieces were there, nobody has stepped up to be a leader of this team IMO. At the end of the day Talent gets you no-where when you play as individuals and not as a Team and can't execute the Fundamentals. And yes, I have had some constructive criticism in the past and I may in the Future. Honestly, I'm not sure what more the coach can do at this point. If they haven't learned to play as a Team yet, can they?
The answer to that is simple - What the program needs is for as many of the kids as possible to play in local AAU programs that stress FUNDAMENTALS and TEAM FIRST. Like this one http://www.athenscountyshock.com

There needs to be more of an INVESTMENT from the parents into a program like this. Maybe have your kid's get some private lessons too...

Just a thought

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

What you are missing is the location of this team, Athens. A liberal bastion (meaning: place, or person strongly defending or upholding particular principles, attitudes, or activities) of everybody is a winner, everyone plays equally, and everybody gets a trophy. Furthermore, besides a very select few, like Coach Gibby and his wife Pat, Chris Stewart, Troy Bolin, and others; everyone is fair-weather fans. To be honest, that could be because of the Bobcats. However, they don't travel well, most parents are disengaged, their kids come through, they graduate, and they move on, you never see them again. I would not know why anyone would want to coach there?

Return to “Boys Basketball”