Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

Post by mlittle »

EagleNut14 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:21 am
Camp Creek Cougar wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 pm Sorry but I said it earlier...Piketon didn’t stand a chance if they gotta play 9 on 5, and that’s exactly what happened tonight. Eastern was more physical but they were allowed to be. Heck, look like those officials spent Christmas with Baraqua. He owned them. I’ve seen better officiating at upward bounds. . If this is a classic, there has to be better... I’m taking nothing away from eastern players, but our Redstreaks battled and deserved better. Piketon was in position to win that game even against the odds and I think a second game would be different outcome. It was very clear to those of us from Camp Creek that The fix was in.

Also, I think it’s disrespectful to all the good folks across the county who come to the pike county tournament and have to wait on Waverly to announce their HOF. Why don’t they recoggnize county folks making a difference, like Jolie Billingsworth who is an educated reporter, Tim Feddericci who calls basketball games for all schools in county on the radio, or commissioner Beekman whose brought unity to pike county over the atomic dump. I nearly wrecked my geo metro tonight in the snow cause of having to wait to get out for the cerealmoney.

I’d like to see Gary’s Smart Mart, the Grove, and Johns Tire and Lube hold our own Holiday tournament at Piketon. At least there’s gonna be some lube...get it 😉.

See you all tomorrow night. Gonna have a double trainwreck in morning!
Eastern was more physical but was allowed to be? Really??? Didn't Eastern have 6 or 7 fouls 3 or 4 minutes into the 3rd quarter to Piketons 1? Was the game poorly officiated yes but did it change the outcome of the game no. If anything it probably saved Piketon from getting beat 15-20 points with them calling the game so tight because Eastern straight man handled Piketon down low and if it wasnt called so tight Easterns bigs wouldn't have been on the bench most of the 3rd. being in foul trouble. I think tonight Piketon fans have came back to reality and realized they're not as good as what they thought they were. Piketons about 3-4 assistant coaches and a couple Eastern transfers away from being great!
I don't think too many people were surprised by the outcome of the game. I said it before I felt any of those top 3 could win it. I think Eastern is even favored to win tonight according to Vegas. (Eastern - 3.5)

I disagree with Piketon benefiting most from the physical play. The bigger stronger team will always benefit and easterns size just killed us. Our biggest person is 6'1. Eastern has 3 over 6'3 and Tomilson was throwing kids around like chew toys last night. Lol. I do feel this is too big a tournament for the community to have to watch games like last night. It was pretty rough. All 4 schools and fans deserve better. But very evenly matched tourney 1-4 and I can't wait for tonight.

Piketon 66
Western 57

Eastern 71
Waverly 66

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Will the games be played tonight or moved to a later date, possibly Tuesday? Snow covered roads and bone chilling temps.
I’m sure they’ll have to make the call sometime late morning to around noonish.

Very interesting matchup for the Championship between Waverly & Eastern.

Coach S.Tomlison
Waterboy

Post by Coach S.Tomlison »

Always enjoy the holiday classic and was impressed with the talent right now in Pike County. 2 factors last night that were huge for Eastern. Evan Leist is a true point that thrives on competition and handling the press. Even though we lost to Affricentric a couple weeks ago he had those guards chasing their tails. 2nd factor was Coach Barrick's dedication to the weightroom. They buy in and lift even during the season. Not just show up and go through the motions but they get after it. You will have several games throughout the year that get physical and ugly Ive even seen it that way come Convo time. Weightroom helps win those games. It also helps with free throws at the end, example, Drake Myers helping seal it. Can't wait for tonight should be another evening of talented Pike County kids putting on a show in an awesome facility. Good luck to all teams and Go Eagles!
Last edited by Coach S.Tomlison on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

GAME ONE FT’s
Eastern 2-3 first half. 4-5 third quarter. 16-21 fourth quarter (Myers 6-6). Many of the 21 coming late, down the stretch.
Piketon 5-8 first half. 2-4 third quarter. 6-8 fourth quarter.
Very few fouls first half (Eastern 7 / Piketon 5)
They piled up in the Second half (Eastern 15 with a tech on Barrick / Piketon 17 with a tech on Legg)

GAME TWO FT’s
Waverly 2-2 first half. 1-2 third quarter. 4-7 fourth quarter.
Western 2-3 first half. 3-4 third quarter. 3-4 fourth quarter.
Waverly with 6 fouls first half (2 quick ones on Remington that sent him to the bench) and 7 second half.
Western with 5 fouls first half and 9 second half (3 or 4 of those late to stop clock).

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Great post Tomlison, agreed, especially on Evan Leist, he is fun to watch !

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

EPN wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 am Great post Tomlison, agreed, especially on Evan Leist, he is fun to watch !
Kid is a freak! Pressured him all night and I noticed late in the 4th he hadn't even broke a sweat yet 😂

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

bobcats94 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:54 pm
mlittle wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 pm
bobcats94 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:34 pm Congratulations to Eastern and Waverly on the wins tonight, should be a great game tomorrow night. Very impressed with Westerns team keeping it close tonight if they don't have the turnovers before half it could've been a very close game, I think coaching had a very large role in that. Would love to see Fitch coach a team like Western had the past two years, I think he would've done great things. Good luck to all teams tomorrow night!
You mean great things like Coach Miller did?
Coach Miller did coach a district championship team in 2016, however Western lost big last year to Waverly and had a much better team than this years team, and also lost to Waverly in 2016 both years having good teams. Also I don't think Western ever finished much over .500 in the regular season. I went and watched Western's sectional game last year, they lost to a Manchester team that I honestly don't believe had one better matchup than Western anywhere on the floor(Manchester lost to Clay by 40 the next game). So yes Kyle had a good year coaching Western but I don't think you can say he did better than 20 other coaches could have done. What I really don't understand though is why it takes 6 coaches on the bench to get the job done which is becoming more and more common.
The transformation those students made the 3 years Miller was at Western was noticeable to anyone that has any sense. I seen those kids before he took that program over and just from the skill work and weight room work they put in it was an amazing transformation. Not taking anything away from Fitch or the kids but he's coaching the athletes that Miller developed plain and simple. Say what u will about him but I'm guessing people like you are one of the reasons he still isn't coaching there.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

smurray wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:04 am Will the games be played tonight or moved to a later date, possibly Tuesday? Snow covered roads and bone chilling temps.
I’m sure they’ll have to make the call sometime late morning to around noonish.

Very interesting matchup for the Championship between Waverly & Eastern.
Weather not gonna be much better Tuesday.

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

What are the game times tonight?

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am
mlittle wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 pm

You mean great things like Coach Miller did?
Coach Miller did coach a district championship team in 2016, however Western lost big last year to Waverly and had a much better team than this years team, and also lost to Waverly in 2016 both years having good teams. Also I don't think Western ever finished much over .500 in the regular season. I went and watched Western's sectional game last year, they lost to a Manchester team that I honestly don't believe had one better matchup than Western anywhere on the floor(Manchester lost to Clay by 40 the next game). So yes Kyle had a good year coaching Western but I don't think you can say he did better than 20 other coaches could have done. What I really don't understand though is why it takes 6 coaches on the bench to get the job done which is becoming more and more common.
The transformation those students made the 3 years Miller was at Western was noticeable to anyone that has any sense. I seen those kids before he took that program over and just from the skill work and weight room work they put in it was an amazing transformation. Not taking anything away from Fitch or the kids but he's coaching the athletes that Miller developed plain and simple. Say what u will about him but I'm guessing people like you are one of the reasons he still isn't coaching there.
Yes Kyle left because of me, yet both of my kids graduated from Waverly and just an FYI graduated both at 18 not 19 like your Redstreaks leading and 2nd leading scorers last night. But anyway Piketon still couldn't show up for the big game so have fun tonight watching the big dogs play at 8:00.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

bobcats94 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:47 pm
mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 am

Yes Kyle left because of me, yet both of my kids graduated from Waverly and just an FYI graduated both at 18 not 19 like your Redstreaks leading and 2nd leading scorers last night. But anyway Piketon still couldn't show up for the big game so have fun tonight watching the big dogs play at 8:00.
I didn't say you. I said people like you, which you so eloquently proved by making irresponsible comments about kids ages.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Roger Mink wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:46 pm What are the game times tonight?
6:00 and then Championship game following.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 am
EPN wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 am Great post Tomlison, agreed, especially on Evan Leist, he is fun to watch !
Kid is a freak! Pressured him all night and I noticed late in the 4th he hadn't even broke a sweat yet 😂
Well he was a district champion in XC in a tough district and was top 30 in the state....so that doesn’t hurt

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:07 pm
Well he was a district champion in XC in a tough district and was top 30 in the state....so that doesn’t hurt
Ya, I looked over at my buddy (yes I have friends) and said "that kid isn't even sweating" quite impressive

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:20 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Ya, I looked over at my buddy (yes I have friends) and said "that kid isn't even sweating" quite impressive
Yeah, I’ve seen plenty of him...running 3.1 miles in 16:45 lol, me too

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

Can’t wait for night 2 of the Classic, should be two more good games. I think the Redstreaks will bounce back against Western after a tough loss last night. Streaks are improving as the season goes I’m and are right where they need to be at this point in the season.

Tigerfan92
Waterboy

Post by Tigerfan92 »

Always seem to be good games at the classic. I thought Eastern looked like the much better team than Piketon last night but it was the 1st time I saw either team play. The eye test of the Waverly-Western game appeared the Tigers should have won by 30. Give Western kids credit for playing hard till the end and give coach Fitch credit for having them ready to play. Waverly needs to play alot better tonight if they want to win. Piketon does seem to take advantage of allowing kids to be held back. I always joked it was the Redstreak redshirt year that gives you an extra year of high school sports. Turns what would have been remembered as nice high school players into 1000 pt scorers and being considered "real deals". Wheelersburg does it all the time. Look at there sports program. Like it or not, it is legal. Only issue I have is the parents should pay the state back the $8000 dollars it spends to reeducate your 8th graders. Which may be why Waverly doesn't allow it. Actually lost players because they wouldn't.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Tigerfan92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:15 pm Always seem to be good games at the classic. I thought Eastern looked like the much better team than Piketon last night but it was the 1st time I saw either team play. The eye test of the Waverly-Western game appeared the Tigers should have won by 30. Give Western kids credit for playing hard till the end and give coach Fitch credit for having them ready to play. Waverly needs to play alot better tonight if they want to win. Piketon does seem to take advantage of allowing kids to be held back. I always joked it was the Redstreak redshirt year that gives you an extra year of high school sports. Turns what would have been remembered as nice high school players into 1000 pt scorers and being considered "real deals". Wheelersburg does it all the time. Look at there sports program. Like it or not, it is legal. Only issue I have is the parents should pay the state back the $8000 dollars it spends to reeducate your 8th graders. Which may be why Waverly doesn't allow it. Actually lost players because they wouldn't.

So if you hold your kid back they get 5 years of high school sports?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Tigerfan92 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:15 pm Always seem to be good games at the classic. I thought Eastern looked like the much better team than Piketon last night but it was the 1st time I saw either team play. The eye test of the Waverly-Western game appeared the Tigers should have won by 30. Give Western kids credit for playing hard till the end and give coach Fitch credit for having them ready to play. Waverly needs to play alot better tonight if they want to win. Piketon does seem to take advantage of allowing kids to be held back. I always joked it was the Redstreak redshirt year that gives you an extra year of high school sports. Turns what would have been remembered as nice high school players into 1000 pt scorers and being considered "real deals". Wheelersburg does it all the time. Look at there sports program. Like it or not, it is legal. Only issue I have is the parents should pay the state back the $8000 dollars it spends to reeducate your 8th graders. Which may be why Waverly doesn't allow it. Actually lost players because they wouldn't.
Hey visionquest is that you?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

And just remember that the school isn't the ones who benefit from holdbacks. The kids do, in many ways more than athletics.

Return to “Boys Basketball”