Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

Post by mlittle »

toast wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:02 am [If we want to be honest Waverly should win the Classic every year. They are the biggest school in the county, as well as have the most resources AND they play on their home court.

But this year, I will take Piketon in the upset. I just think with Perdue transferring to Piketon that makes the difference.
If Piketon wins the Classic this year it won't be an upset. They're the only "elite 8" team in the tournament and plenty of people on here are picking them to win both games. Waverly is quite a bit behind Piketon in the rankings.

As far as Waverly should win the Classic every year....that statement doesn't any sense. We'll only taking about 5 to maybe 7 or 8 kids making an impact in basketball. Enrollment numbers would makes some difference in football but not nearly as much in basketball. All four teams are from Pike County so demographics are close to the same. I'll bet nearly all these kids have played on Waverly's court numerous times and crowd size will be near equal for most schools. I don't see resources being any factor in who wins. All four teams have won this tournament which is a major reason so many people look forward to it and why so many fans come to watch.
[/quote]

Agreed!

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

I think this is a great event every year with some great basketball in Pike County!

Making offers you can't refuse
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Vito Corleone wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:20 am I think this is a great event every year with some great basketball in Pike County!
Should be a packed house

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

ronm001 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 pm
mlittle wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:51 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Perdue - 27.7
Blanton - 8.8
Reader - 7.0
Little - 5.8
Veech - 5.0
May be a pipe dream but I think these top 4 guys could all be averaging close to double digits by end of season
I hope you are correct but they are gonna have to make drastic changes and improvements for that to happen. Usually when your eyes tell you and the form and spin on the ball show you they arent shooters it doesn't doesn't change mid season. even several of the 3s made tgis year especially against PV were tipped and changed the shot and it went in.
Piketon has shooters on the team, shots just haven’t been falling. I also don’t recall 3 balls being blocked into the basket down at Paint Valley

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

One more thing I’ll take a team that has 4 players averaging double figures than a team that has just one player averaging double figures any day of the week. I’m s hard to beat team with 4 in double figures

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

EagleNut14 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 am One more thing I’ll take a team that has 4 players averaging double figures than a team that has just one player averaging double figures any day of the week. I’m s hard to beat team with 4 in double figures
I doubt Purdue will average 28 per for the season so when his number drops a little it should create more scoring opportunities for some others. For us to sustain any type of tournament run 1 or 2 of the other guys will have to get involved consistently in the scoring column. Which I believe will happen throughout the season.

Tanner P. Has been asked to score a lot early in the season due to the amt. of football players on the team. He's been carrying us for the most part. (and that's no knock on the other players) and as the season progresses I think you'll see increased roles for other players and for him start to get more players involved in the scoring. Just my 2 cents worth.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

LAST (10) YEARS COURTESY OF JOHN FAIRCHILD.

Waverly over Western

Waverly over Western

Piketon over Waverly

Waverly over Eastern

Waverly over Piketon

Waverly over Piketon

Piketon over Waverly

Waverly over Piketon

Piketon over Waverly

Piketon over Western

Waverly with 6 Championships in the last 10 years, 5 of the last 6 (11, 12, 13, 15 & 16).
Piketon has 4 Championships in the last 10 years, most recently 2014.
Western has been runner-up 3 times and Eastern once.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:43 pm LAST (10) YEARS COURTESY OF JOHN FAIRCHILD.

Waverly over Western

Waverly over Western

Piketon over Waverly

Waverly over Eastern

Waverly over Piketon

Waverly over Piketon

Piketon over Waverly

Waverly over Piketon

Piketon over Waverly

Piketon over Western

Waverly with 6 Championships in the last 10 years, 5 of the last 6 (11, 12, 13, 15 & 16).
Thanks Murray!

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 am
mlittle wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:51 pm

May be a pipe dream but I think these top 4 guys could all be averaging close to double digits by end of season
I hope you are correct but they are gonna have to make drastic changes and improvements for that to happen. Usually when your eyes tell you and the form and spin on the ball show you they arent shooters it doesn't doesn't change mid season. even several of the 3s made tgis year especially against PV were tipped and changed the shot and it went in.
Piketon has shooters on the team, shots just haven’t been falling. I also don’t recall 3 balls being blocked into the basket down at Paint Valley
never said 3 were blocked into the basket at PV you did. It was even mentioned on the radio as a tip.

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

EagleNut14 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 am One more thing I’ll take a team that has 4 players averaging double figures than a team that has just one player averaging double figures any day of the week. I’m s hard to beat team with 4 in double figures
exactly the point Im making.

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

mlittle wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am
I doubt Purdue will average 28 per for the season so when his number drops a little it should create more scoring opportunities for some others. For us to sustain any type of tournament run 1 or 2 of the other guys will have to get involved consistently in the scoring column. Which I believe will happen throughout the season.

Tanner P. Has been asked to score a lot early in the season due to the amt. of football players on the team. He's been carrying us for the most part. (and that's no knock on the other players) and as the season progresses I think you'll see increased roles for other players and for him start to get more players involved in the scoring. Just my 2 cents worth.
I hope you are correct hasnt Piketon FB been over now for longer than 2 months? It's almost Jan its time for shooters to be making shots. I think TP will avg 25plus and needs to be 28 plus for us to win against tough teams.

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

smurray wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:43 pm LAST (10) YEARS COURTESY OF JOHN FAIRCHILD.

Waverly over Western

Waverly over Western

Piketon over Waverly

Waverly over Eastern

Waverly over Piketon

Waverly over Piketon

Piketon over Waverly

Waverly over Piketon

Piketon over Waverly

Piketon over Western

I was thinking eastern won it in 2012 because that was lands and Pickett’s senior year and they were dw with 3 mins to go and came back and beat piketon I’m thinking final was 52-50 or 51-50

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ronm001 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:57 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am

I hope you are correct hasnt Piketon FB been over now for longer than 2 months? It's almost Jan its time for shooters to be making shots. I think TP will avg 25plus and needs to be 28 plus for us to win against tough teams.

I don't think many would disagree that teams with a majority of their players playing football that mid season is a good timeframe to shoot for to be gelling together well. TP played at Western last two seasons where they don't have football so this is new to him as well. Non football schools typically look mid season form to start the season. Football schools take a little longer, hence the term "mid season form" He just needs to stay patient, carry the load while he can and before you know it this team will come together.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Eagle Country,
Eastern won the title in 2012 ,Chad Lands hit 2 free throws with 3.6 seconds remaining to beat Piketon 52-51.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ronm001 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 pm
Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 am

never said 3 were blocked into the basket at PV you did. It was even mentioned on the radio as a tip.
I think he's referring to 3 pointers as 3 balls. Not literally 3 balls. It's a slang that some people that know basketball use to refer to the 3 point shot. Correct me if I'm wrong smokey. ronm did mention "several" of our 3's this year have been altered to where it positively affected the rotation of the ball which seems to be a very odd observation

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

EPN wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:57 pm Eagle Country,
Eastern won the title in 2012 ,Chad Lands hit 2 free throws with 3.6 seconds remaining to beat Piketon 52-51.
I was thinking Eastern won it one of those years too but that’s what was sent to me. I can try to confirm tomorrow and update my post if that’s the case.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I have seen Waverly twice this year and Eastern once.

Waverly has a big advantage in this tournament by drawing Western—- while Eastern and Piketon will be required to pay more attention to the first game.

After seeing Eastern —- and perhaps I saw them on an off night —- if they contest Piketon into the mid to late 4th then Pfloyd is way off on his rating of Piketon at #8 in his rankings. But then again this year there might be a Top 5 or 6! And not truly a Top 8. Eastern is well coached but not able to put 5 scorers on the court —- sometimes I thought they had 2. They will run SOC1 but I think they’ve acknowledged the lack of depth in the small school SOC Division by moving up in 2019. Then we will see if Eastern is sharpened by the better competition as Webster has been for the last 11-12 years when they dropped to D4 and started making tournament runs.

I watched Eastern v New Boston and they were athletically at a disadvantage at almost every position yet still won.

Therefore I would think Piketon would prevail and play Waverly Saturday night in a game that sees Waverly’s depth and newfound toughness coming through. I see where Waverly used to be 10 deep and is currently 8 deep. 8 deep is easier on the coaching staff and players. Sometimes 10 is too many.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Jeeps22
Waterboy

Post by Jeeps22 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:12 pm I have seen Waverly twice this year and Eastern once.

Waverly has a big advantage in this tournament by drawing Western—- while Eastern and Piketon will be required to pay more attention to the first game.

After seeing Eastern —- and perhaps I saw them on an off night —- if they contest Piketon into the mid to late 4th then Pfloyd is way off on his rating of Piketon at #8 in his rankings. But then again this year there might be a Top 5 or 6! And not truly a Top 8. Eastern is well coached but not able to put 5 scorers on the court —- sometimes I thought they had 2. They will run SOC1 but I think they’ve acknowledged the lack of depth in the small school SOC Division by moving up in 2019. Then we will see if Eastern is sharpened by the better competition as Webster has been for the last 11-12 years when they dropped to D4 and started making tournament runs.

I watched Eastern v New Boston and they were athletically at a disadvantage at almost every position yet still won.

Therefore I would think Piketon would prevail and play Waverly Saturday night in a game that sees Waverly’s depth and newfound toughness coming through. I see where Waverly used to be 10 deep and is currently 8 deep. 8 deep is easier on the coaching staff and players. Sometimes 10 is too many.
Eastern is probably the second best team in SOC 2, both are way down this year.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I think Piketon's only real chance at winning either game is dependent on how many 3 pointers we get tipped in. If we can average 3-4 tipped in 3's a game we should win it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:21 am I think Piketon's only real chance at winning either game is dependent on how many 3 pointers we get tipped in. If we can average 3-4 tipped in 3's a game we should win it.
Lol....I’m never going to forget that post and you are never going to let it go

Return to “Boys Basketball”