Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

Post by smurray »

Waverlys schedule/competition has prepared them for the Classic and they are getting better every game. 6-1 at this point of the season is quite an accomplishment and they have been in some battles. They will be very well prepared.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

smurray- Wondering if you or someone would list who has won the classic over the last 10 years or so? Always interesting to look back and see how things played out. Thanks!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

smurray wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:12 pm Waverlys schedule/competition has prepared them for the Classic and they are getting better every game. 6-1 at this point of the season is quite an accomplishment and they have been in some battles. They will be very well prepared.
From afar, the Tigers are battle tested with a knack for grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat in three of their wins. Yet how long can they live on the edge before the deficit is too deep our the ball bounces the wrong way? Piketon and Eastern are legitimate opponents and Western can never be taken lightly.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I have not seen the teams in the Pike Co. Classic but on paper I have to believe Piketon is the favorite. With the Perdue kid I think Piketon will not struggle with Waverly’s pressure. Waverly’s Press is designed to cause turnovers which leads to points. If Piketon doesn’t turn it over I think Waverly will struggle to score. Of course that is just my opinion!

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

I agree
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:13 am I have not seen the teams in the Pike Co. Classic but on paper I have to believe Piketon is the favorite. With the Perdue kid I think Piketon will not struggle with Waverly’s pressure. Waverly’s Press is designed to cause turnovers which leads to points. If Piketon doesn’t turn it over I think Waverly will struggle to score. Of course that is just my opinion!
I agree with Piketon being able handle the press Veach and Blanton are both good ball handlers and should be able to handle the pressure.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

EagleNut14 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:47 am I agree
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:13 am I have not seen the teams in the Pike Co. Classic but on paper I have to believe Piketon is the favorite. With the Perdue kid I think Piketon will not struggle with Waverly’s pressure. Waverly’s Press is designed to cause turnovers which leads to points. If Piketon doesn’t turn it over I think Waverly will struggle to score. Of course that is just my opinion!
I agree with Piketon being able handle the press Veach and Blanton are both good ball handlers and should be able to handle the pressure.
None of their guards will struggle with the pressure

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I had said that the over/under on Waverly vs Piketon would be like 150, but after thinking about it more, I could see it being more of a half court game. I'm not sure if either team's pressure would truly bother the other. Both teams have solid guard play.

Of course, Piketon has to beat Eastern and Waverly has to beat Western first.

Jeeps22
Waterboy

Post by Jeeps22 »

I'm going with the winner of the piketon/eastern game to win it.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

What time do these games start.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

First game is at 6pm. Second around 7:30

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ohio State game is suppose to be on the big screen in the lobby.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

It's hard for me to believe all the hype Piketon is getting right now mainly because the SVC is as down as I have seen the SVC in a very long time. Unioto has been the only SVC team I've watched and was impressed with and Piketon lost that matchup. I will say Piketon is a good runner for 2nd in the SVC but saying again the SVC is very down. I believe Eastern has a very good shot if they shut down Piketons guards and keep Perdue off the free throw line where he lives at.

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

mlittle wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:01 pm
EagleNut14 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:49 pm Now did they out play them or play with them? You said a few post back they outplayed Unioto after the 1st quarter now its they played with them after the 1st. Sitting in the stands watching the game Piketon did not play with Unioto. They are a decent team but they are not on Uniotos level and I do not see how p Floyd has them ranked as high as he does on his rankings. Perdue is a very talented player and fun to watch but they are pretty much a one man show. I see potential in Blanton and Little and Reader is a big strong physical player that plays hard but Perdue is going to need help scoring.

I agree that we are not on Unioto's level right now. We would have to play extremely well to beat them. Taking nothing away from Unioto. They're a great team. If you gauged every teams success off of how they played Unioto you would be questioning a lot of teams abilities. But we're not playing Unioto this Friday, we're playing Eastern
Piketon has nobody that can score or that can shoot consistently to win big games. To beat good teams Perdue has to score big and good teams wont let that happen. Just not another player that has good form to shoot or good enough to score to help TP.

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:24 pm
no prolly not BC when it gets tough the use TP to handle it. Once again Piketon doesnt have any guards that can compete with the elites around southern ohio

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

It doesn't matter who is the best team when it comes to the Pike County Classic....throw records and who is better out the window. I've seen so mny so-called upsets over the years...I know records don't matter. I like to see the Streaks win this one!

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

ronm001 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:42 pm

no prolly not BC when it gets tough the use TP to handle it. Once again Piketon doesnt have any guards that can compete with the elites around southern ohio
Waverly doesn't have "elites" in the backcourt either. Just a ton of pressure.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ronm001 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Yet they sit at 5-1 with a legitimate shot at winning the classic.

What a terrible thing for a team to do! U mean to tell me when they are getting pressured they get their best ball handler the ball? Unprecedented!! I mean, how dare they do that!!!

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Did I really just see a post where someone said Tanner Purdue wasn't a scorer, I've seen him score a lot.

GO EAGLES
toast
All State

Post by toast »

It's going to be cold both nights but fridge Saturday night. Coming out after the second game Saturday it might be below zero! I'm guessing there will still be a big crowd. I do think the Ohio State USC game will affect attendance Friday night especially the second game.

Does anyone know who's won this tournament the last 5 or 10 years?

ronm001
Freshman Team

Post by ronm001 »

brown22 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:35 pm Did I really just see a post where someone said Tanner Purdue wasn't a scorer, I've seen him score a lot.
no I said they dont have any scores but him. nobody on that team can put up 10 or 12 points per night other than TP

Return to “Boys Basketball”