NY vs Athens 12/22/17

bburner
Freshman Team

Re: NY vs Athens 12/22/17

Post by bburner »

Understood Bulldog & thanks for the info on that. I just watched the game again & stand by my statement. It is a judgement call. When you initiate contact & lower your shoulder on a defender who has both feet set - FOUL! THEN IT WILL STOP. There was no flopping - those boys were knocked to the floor.
That said:. All boys knew after 1st quarter how game would be called. Kudos to Coach for exploiting his advantage.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

NY fought hard, turned a corner as a team. As did Athens.
Eliminate silly turnovers & I'll advised shots / this game is down to the wire.
I look for Athens to challenge for the league & NY to get back on winning track.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bburner wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:17 am Understood Bulldog & thanks for the info on that. I just watched the game again & stand by my statement. It is a judgement call. When you initiate contact & lower your shoulder on a defender who has both feet set - FOUL! THEN IT WILL STOP. There was no flopping - those boys were knocked to the floor.
That said:. All boys knew after 1st quarter how game would be called. Kudos to Coach for exploiting his advantage.
You would probably have to go through and look at each play individually to decipher which was a foul and which was not. It was a very physical game and I bet very difficult to officiate. I just know every game that's taken place at the DII Logan sectional - or the Convo - teams better put their big boy pants on cause that's how games are officiated. The post play by Hines and Butcher last night was no different than what Charles Barkley and Karl Malone use to do on the block. Get the ball, use your body, get position and get yourself a high percentage shot. It's only been in the last 10 or 15 years that the game has gotten somewhat 'soft' and payers want to sit out on the perimeter and shoot ... or run and gun ... Athens chose to play an 'old school' type of game and it was effective.

Brownies1
Freshman Team

Post by Brownies1 »

As an outsider looking in I thought NY played hard and pretty physical. I want to give the new coach some love because I feel that on most nights they are outmatched in someway or another. For example last night Athens had a clear size advantage but NY played physical and made the most out of each defensive possession they could. Some nights it may be talent, depth or size but I can say it won’t be being out hustled. I thought NY never backed down and continued to hustle and fly for loose balls all game. If they learn to value each position a little better and not turn the ball over then NY will compete and be a pesky team to play. (These are just my thoughts after seeing them one time)

As for Athens—This was the first time we really saw the “Big” lineup be effective and used the whole game. You can tell it’s something new and is still being molded into what does and doesn’t work. I gotta give Athens staff some love as well. (Even if that doesn’t seem to be the popular thing on here to do.) 20 days ago he has a fully healthy roster ready to begin the season. After first couple games, they lose a player(Zero need to call out names or even attack any high school player for any reason) who has been in the program and is well documented as a player who is athletic, physical but sometime erotic but a player most people would like to have on the team.
Then starting PG at the time goes down with broken bone in Foot followed by another SR who was already on the rocks about playing heading into the season stepping away for personal reasons.
All 3 things the coach has zero control over.
Plug in #3 a kid who has played nothing but traveling ball who is still a work in progress and learning the system. Not the best shooter but usually will be speed and athletic wise one of the better players on the court.
As well as the injury to #21 who to me when I watch is Athens “Johnny hustle” the kid does things that don’t show up in the stat book as well as scores and rebounds.
Take all those things plus an opening weekend on the road Vs the likes of Galia, Waterson Logan and home Vs Warren I don’t think many TVC teams would be any different. I’m not trying to make excuses for anyone because all these things are part of the game and it’s the coaches job to handle it but I’ve seen/heard people bash the program and this hire. I ask those people to have Patience and give them a chance I think Athens best basketball is by far yet to be played. These are just my opinions and they are 100% right 50% of the time......Have a safe and happy holiday to all!
Last edited by Brownies1 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I believe brownies post above has a word that they didn't mean to put in their post lol

Good win for the Bulldogs. Awesome stat lines for their bigs too!

Brownies1
Freshman Team

Post by Brownies1 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:39 pm I believe brownies post above has a word that they didn't mean to put in their post lol

Had a few that needed corrected lol. I think I got them all corrected though thanks for keeping me honest.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Brownies1 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:54 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:39 pm I believe brownies post above has a word that they didn't mean to put in their post lol

Had a few that needed corrected lol. I think I got them all corrected though thanks for keeping me honest.
No problem. I probably should've included that I thought it was a really good post.

To me, Athens has a strange potential, mostly because you don't see basketball teams going BIG like the Bulldogs can. I liked what I saw from them in their first scrimmage overall talent wise and could see that there was a lot to work on. It looks like they may be turning that corner.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:59 pm
Brownies1 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:54 pm

No problem. I probably should've included that I thought it was a really good post.

To me, Athens has a strange potential, mostly because you don't see basketball teams going BIG like the Bulldogs can. I liked what I saw from them in their first scrimmage overall talent wise and could see that there was a lot to work on. It looks like they may be turning that corner.
It seems to be a very tricky puzzle. With so many players capable of getting minutes. The coach can go small, go big, go with experience, go with more athleticism and quickness ... Eventually they will stumble onto a winning combination. But one thing seems for certain - going through the bigs is a good strategy.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

I thought the three missing players were injured? Thought that is why they were not playing for Athens at the moment.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 am
bburner wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:17 am Understood Bulldog & thanks for the info on that. I just watched the game again & stand by my statement. It is a judgement call. When you initiate contact & lower your shoulder on a defender who has both feet set - FOUL! THEN IT WILL STOP. There was no flopping - those boys were knocked to the floor.
You would probably have to go through and look at each play individually to decipher which was a foul and which was not. It was a very physical game and I bet very difficult to officiate. I just know every game that's taken place at the DII Logan sectional - or the Convo - teams better put their big boy pants on cause that's how games are officiated. The post play by Hines and Butcher last night was no different than what Charles Barkley and Karl Malone use to do on the block. Get the ball, use your body, get position and get yourself a high percentage shot. It's only been in the last 10 or 15 years that the game has gotten somewhat 'soft' and payers want to sit out on the perimeter and shoot ... or run and gun ... Athens chose to play an 'old school' type of game and it was effective.
Dog ,NBA and high school basketball is a different animal . Its a shame that Official dictate the game . Nothing wrong with banging in the paint and I've seen to many ticky tack fouls . How games are officiated should be some what the same . Glad to see the Bulldogs playing better. Have not heard much about your shooting guard . Is he healthy ( Hope so)Merry Christmas to the Bulldogs and their fans .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Trimble vs NY game was more physical tonight, imo. Maybe not in the paint as much, but all over the floor. Not many fouls called in that one either. And it was officiated by one of the best crews in the district. The father and son duo have done state championship games.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Best crew in the district? Holy crap that bar most be LOW. The boy is horrible. The dad is better, but BEST? Wth have we become.

If you ain't first, you're last!
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Officials are graded by coaches/AD's ... that grading system decides what games officials get in the tournament ... better the grade, the more important games they receive.

The son not only does a lot of district games, I believe he has done two state tournaments the last two years ... Only the top, best of the best, from the southeast district get elected to do state tournament games.

So while you may disagree with his officiating ability, the coaches/ad's from all across southeast Ohio do not.

Keep in mind, refs are like players - and are also human - they too can have a 'bad game' or 'off night'

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 am Officials are graded by coaches/AD's ... that grading system decides what games officials get in the tournament ... better the grade, the more important games they receive.

The son not only does a lot of district games, I believe he has done two state tournaments the last two years ... Only the top, best of the best, from the southeast district get elected to do state tournament games.

So while you may disagree with his officiating ability, the coaches/ad's from all across southeast Ohio do not.

Keep in mind, refs are like players - and are also human - they too can have a 'bad game' or 'off night'
There are a lot of good officials but there is a difference in how some good officials call the game . That makes it's hard to adjust your game . Officiating in High School should be more balanced . A foul is a foul ,a 5 second count is what the rule states . Some officials have favorite calls with no lead way. Do not know the Father Son team but I did see one last year and they were not very good . Please excuse me on this because I do not like to be critical but the Father over ruled his son on more than one time when the younger was in better position . My recommendation to officials is call the game as the rules states nothing more and nothing less . If you do that you have done what you are paid for . It's a hard job and is taken for granted.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Like I said...very low bar. Hell Roy and his son about the same caliber as those 2 were Saturday.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:04 pm The Trimble vs NY game was more physical tonight, imo. Maybe not in the paint as much, but all over the floor. Not many fouls called in that one either. And it was officiated by one of the best crews in the district. The father and son duo have done state championship games.
NY had Richards & Allen in foul trouble early both finishing with 4. Robson finished with 4 as well. Guards were taking fouls to protect Bohyer or he would have been in foul trouble too. The game was physical, yes. Difference was the refs called the fouls.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

It's Christmas... Give the officials a break.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:47 am It's Christmas... Give the officials a break.
Sure thing. Don’t want this thread to disappear like the NY/Trimble one.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Happy New Years to all

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

therealNY wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:07 am Best crew in the district? Holy crap that bar most be LOW. The boy is horrible. The dad is better, but BEST? Wth have we become.
I’m sure you could do much better, maybe you should give it a try! And yes the younger one is also a college official.

Return to “Boys Basketball”