NY vs Athens 12/22/17

therealNY
Freshman Team

Re: NY vs Athens 12/22/17

Post by therealNY »

Boo hoo. Get over it. It could be worse and be like NY and be blessed with a Cadillac Kline for almost 20 years. :)

If you ain't first, you're last!
Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

therealNY wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:47 am Boo hoo. Get over it. It could be worse and be like NY and be blessed with a Cadillac Kline for almost 20 years. :)
I agree. Even the Cadillac played daddy ball. Some coaches can handle it, and some can't. The ones who can't start their son no matter what and turn a blind eye when he throws up ill advised shots and/or has multiple turnovers. This is just a general observation and not pointing fingers at anyone in particular though. :?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Orestes' wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:44 am
therealNY wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:47 am Boo hoo. Get over it. It could be worse and be like NY and be blessed with a Cadillac Kline for almost 20 years. :)
I agree. Even the Cadillac played daddy ball. Some coaches can handle it, and some can't. The ones who can't start their son no matter what and turn a blind eye when he throws up ill advised shots and/or has multiple turnovers. This is just a general observation and not pointing fingers at anyone in particular though. :?
Interesting user name. Orestes-Greek hero, he who conquers the mountain.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Hey now-the old Cadillac won a TVC title back in 97'...Give him a break. :D

Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:26 pm
Yes, almost as interesting as a basketball coach, who denies being a coach, who is named after a wrestling movie.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Go Athens

NY sports fan
Waterboy

Post by NY sports fan »

bburner wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:12 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:01 pm
Athens starting 5 "should" be Williams, Cozart, Chubb, Hynes and Butcher. Butcher coming off great Game at Marietta. Who is 5'10" Post player for NY??
I would think Boyer would be 6'2 or 6'3 but not sure if he plays a 4 or 5. He's fast though and might be a challenge for Hynes or Butcher to keep up . NY will try and make this a track meet.
Bohyer handles alot of ball handling duties & also works the high post. Of late though, Robson ( 5-10") & Braden Allen have shared post duties with Bohyer on perimeter.
That 5'10 kid is very physical in the post, if not he wouldn't be there. I wouldn't favor Athens just because they have a size advantage in the post. We also have Braydon Allen 6'2 kid who will come in and give us more size. Also Nelsonville is fast, they can get out and run with any team

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Should be a good game, a lot of Athletes will be on the Floor tonight. Hoping for an injury free, competitive game this Evening.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Orestes' wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:33 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Yes, almost as interesting as a basketball coach, who denies being a coach, who is named after a wrestling movie.
:lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

noreply66 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 pm With Landis Logan should have taken advantage of Butchers slowness. Should have been hook city all night with that match up.
Landis does not have a hook shot . Does have a spin move going toward the bucket which is effective .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The more you reply to antagonizers/trolls, the more they will post. Just ignore.

That is all.

Good luck to both teams tonight

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:01 pm The more you reply to antagonizers/trolls, the more they will post. Just ignore.

That is all.
Dilly Dilly!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm
noreply66 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 pm With Landis Logan should have taken advantage of Butchers slowness. Should have been hook city all night with that match up.
Landis does not have a hook shot . Does have a spin move going toward the bucket which is effective .
I have seen a half hook. With that height and what Logan plays against he need a hook. Just don't see the shot too much anymore.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:57 pm I posted this prior to the season starting, I still stick with it :

"Athens will be an excellent basketball TEAM by seasons end - the post season ... they will obviously need to have ALL of the players settle into their own roles for TEAM - no one will take the place of Griffin Lutz ... I told 93dog over the early summer that I felt that Athens will go as far as their Bigs will carry them on the inside - Eli Chubb & Justin Hynes both 6-3 juniors ... 2 strong inside players , both have great foot work, both are athletes ! Both need to be worked into the offensive scheme - which I'm sure they will by Coach Cozart ... others who have varsity experience who are strong as well Logan Maxfield ANOTHER 6-3 strong junior ..." 93bulldog was quick to point out my omission of 6-4 Isaiah Butcher - rightly so ! the young man has put himself right smack dab in the middle of any thoughts of Athens being a competitive team this season ... it started in the the Logan game - Butcher played very physical vs Logan Caiden Landis in the 2nd half holding the 6-7 LHS post player to 5 points and the appearance that he wanted nothing to do with the 6-4 280 lb BIG for Athens ... Butcher followed up with a great game in the post and from the perimeter vs Marietta in a 2 point loss ... Butcher/Chubb/Hynes the BIGS , IF Athens runs their offense through the BIGS good things will happen , Athens will be competitive at both ends of the court ...

Your theory is proving to be spot on PFloyd. This teams strength is in the 3 BIGS. Hynes, Butcher and Chubb. Hynes and Butcher both put up some high point totals tonight in the 67-57 win over NY-close to 20 each-Hynes around 8 rebounds then you Add in Chubbs all around play-his Rebounding which I lost count of but would venture to say 15 plus, his assists, shot blocking of which the radio announcers said 4 and 3 point shooting, 3 triples on the night and leading the team this Year, I think he ended up with 11 giving him several double doubles this year. This is the recipe for Success. Maxfield wasn't here tonight but once he returns I would look for him to be the 3, Butcher at the 5, Hynes at the 4. I would move Chubb to the 2 and Cozart at Point-Elijah the transfer I would make the 6th man. This is just my thoughts on what I have seen this year. This team is Starting to get their Identity.

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Dogs do it. You are right PF, the big three are improving. Albin and Saltzman and Maxfield return soon and they know how to get the ball to the big three.Glad to see the big three get valuable minutes because they can produce. It was nice to see a win tonight.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

morehead state wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 pm Dogs do it. You are right PF, the big three are improving. Albin and Saltzman and Maxfield return soon and they know how to get the ball to the big three.Glad to see the big three get valuable minutes because they can produce. It was nice to see a win tonight.
I don't look for Albin to be back. I would like to see him back.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens frontcourt ...

Hines 20 pts, 8 reb
Butcher 19 pts, 6 reb (2 treys)
Chubb 11 pts, 12 reb, 4 blocks (3 treys)

Will be interesting to see how lineup shakes out when Maxfield and Saltzmen return. Not sure you can take Hines and Butcher off the floor, they present such a match-up issue, its been the lone advantage Athens has had the last two games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Good to see the 3 BIGS for Athens getting their minutes ! Minutes equals production on the offensive end and solid board work on the defensive end AND the offensive end ... most high school teams don't have to play defense vs 3 BIGS at the same time - Athens can and should exploit this ! make opponents guard where they aren't used to, be physical where they aren't used to it down low ... when you have the BIGS inside who can ALSO step OUTSIDE and drain the three!!! life starts getting good for everyone on the floor for the AHS offensive side ... just my 2 cents from the cheap seats ...

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

You are correct about Athens & their bigs. That said:. I am all for letting kids play but they were letting Butcher & Hynes lower their shoulder / knock Bohyer & Allen to the floor. Any other crew in SE Ohio would have stopped that..

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bburner wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 am You are correct about Athens & their bigs. That said:. I am all for letting kids play but they were letting Butcher & Hynes lower their shoulder / knock Bohyer & Allen to the floor. Any other crew in SE Ohio would have stopped that..
The few times Ethan or Braden set their feet, they did call a charge.

But just to offer some advice, last night's game is how tournament games are officiated. Good refs let the contact go and allow players to battle for position. You will see that same crew somewhere down the line, either in Jackson or at the convo. Athens uses an assigner and most of the crews I've seen at McAfee thus far are ones I see in the post season and last night was no different. Your posts need to stand their ground, not move their feet and don't 'flop' - they're not gonna call that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”