Basketball rules

mhs95_06
S

Re: Basketball rules

Post by mhs95_06 »

Question on the over and back: Is the ball judged as being crossed to the front court when the center of the ball breaks the plane of the half court line, or when the ball hits the floor on the front court side of the line?

Question on whether the ball bounced out of bounds: Is it judged as the center of the ball hitting outside the center of the line, the center of the ball hitting outside the inside of the line, or the the estimate of the depression of the surface of the ball and whether it actually touched the line when most depressed?

On I92's question on the benefit or not of a potential charge drawer hitting hitting the floor: I see it judged on a potential trip on the dribbler that it is apparently judged that when the dribbler goes down vs. not going down, that if he goes down there is more chance to judge an advantage gained and thus a foul on the defender. So is it similar on the charge call that if the defender goes down, and it is not an obvious flop, it is more likely for a judgment that an advantage was gained by the dribbler and thus a charging foul? Is more likely for the contact to be called a block when the defender goes down, rather than a no call?

In my mind the most unfairness in recent times is not penalizing an offensive player with the ball for jumping into a defender, initiating contact and getting rewarded for it with a foul call on the defender.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

I just wish more officials called the hand checking and physical play with the post like they do with guards! It seems that guards or shorter players are allowed to be physical with post players, but heaven forbid a post player touch a guard going to the basket! lol

GroveCityBnR
Waterboy

Post by GroveCityBnR »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm Ironman92
The toughest call is the block/charge. Why? Well the game of basketball is about angles. If a player takes it in the middle of the chest then a charge it is. If it's off the side of body then block. We actually need the circle that the college game has because to me it seems like we call a lot of charges under the bucket. In high school it is legal to set up under the bucket. The more years and experience we gain we seem to hold our whistle to see a play all the way through. An early whistle will get many officials into trouble as anticipation is no way to call this game. Officials need to see the play all the way through before this whistle is hit.

Absolutely! The circle would make our job much easier it would take the judgment aspect out because that area is the hardest to get an angle.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

george wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:45 pm
clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:53 pm Things you hear people scream at officials.
1) That's over and back---- half court line---- a player dribbling up the floor has to get all three parts over the line. The ball, his right foot and left foot. Then he is considered front court status. If he has ball and one foot over the line then he can pass it to a player in the backcourt or dribble it still in the back court.
2) Three seconds------ in the paint on the offensive end of the court-------a player has to be inside the paint for three seconds while his team has possession. When the shot goes up no team possession. If the offensive team gets the rebound then the count starts over. Believe me 3 seconds is a lenient call for the offensive team!
3) Over the back------ player rebounds over someone else----- over the back means that the rebounder that is behind an opponent displaces the opponent. Then foul should be called. We shouldn't penalize a player that rebounds the ball without displacement. On the other hand a player that is boxing out a player can't just keep pushing his opponent back like we used to be taught.
4)Get him off of him----- contact------ basketball is a contact sport. There will be contact in it. When a player gains an advantage over another player then he should be penalized. If a player puts one hand in a player to size him up and gains no advantage. No foul should be called. If a player puts a hand on a player and gains an advantage by moving him off line then a foul should be called. If a defensive player puts 2 hands on a player with ball, automatic foul to be called.
5) That ball hit the top of the backboard----- it is still live------ if ball is on top of backboard and rolls off the front then it is live. If it hits a brace or shot clock or rolls over the back it is dead. If it hits the side of backboard it is live. If it goes directly over the corner of backboard then it should be live.
there is no call or rule over the back
Very true no over the back call in the book.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
hiabuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by hiabuckeye »

Explain over and back when the ball is tipped in front court? If team has control in front court, defense tips it off an offensive player, then offense is the first one to touch it in back court....

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

mhs95_06 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:15 pm Question on the over and back: Is the ball judged as being crossed to the front court when the center of the ball breaks the plane of the half court line, or when the ball hits the floor on the front court side of the line?

Question on whether the ball bounced out of bounds: Is it judged as the center of the ball hitting outside the center of the line, the center of the ball hitting outside the inside of the line, or the the estimate of the depression of the surface of the ball and whether it actually touched the line when most depressed?

On I92's question on the benefit or not of a potential charge drawer hitting hitting the floor: I see it judged on a potential trip on the dribbler that it is apparently judged that when the dribbler goes down vs. not going down, that if he goes down there is more chance to judge an advantage gained and thus a foul on the defender. So is it similar on the charge call that if the defender goes down, and it is not an obvious flop, it is more likely for a judgment that an advantage was gained by the dribbler and thus a charging foul? Is more likely for the contact to be called a block when the defender goes down, rather than a no call?

In my mind the most unfairness in recent times is not penalizing an offensive player with the ball for jumping into a defender, initiating contact and getting rewarded for it with a foul call on the defender.
I am far from a ref, but I do know the first one. All 3 points have to be established in the front court before an over and back can be called. So both feet and the ball must be in the front court.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Hiabuckeye— if the offensive team is the last to touch it in the front court then ball goes into back court then they can’t be the first to touch it—-over and back shall be called. If the defense taps it off of the offensive team and it goes into the back court then the offensive team can’t be the first to touch it here either.——over and back shall be called.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:27 pm Hiabuckeye— if the offensive team is the last to touch it in the front court then ball goes into back court then they can’t be the first to touch it—-over and back shall be called. If the defense taps it off of the offensive team and it goes into the back court then the offensive team can’t be the first to touch it here either.——over and back shall be called.
This is one you could educate every single fan before entering the gym and they still scream anytime it’s remotely close.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Ironman—- so true. There are a bunch that they have no clue on! Lol

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I'm a little confused on the block/charge call when the defender leaves the ground. I understand the rule that as long as the defender jumps straight up that he/she is allowed that space from the floor to the ceiling. I've seen this happen several times this year and it is called a blocking foul every time. I even heard an official explain it to a coach and said when the player leaves the floor it's an automatic blocking foul. Someone help please!!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Mlittle—- verticality—- if a player is driving to the bucket and the defensive player leaves the floor to block a shot then it will be called a block 99.9% of the time. Now, in the post a player that is defending his post area and goes up to block a shot and the offensive player jumps into his verticality plane it should be called a player control or offensive foul. Most of the time it is called a block or body foul on the defensive player. Yes, it is a very tough call to make in a split second decision. This is one of the reason post players get the opportunity to bang on each other in my opinion.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

2 questions for you Clevelandbrown#1.

1. End of game time, boy has break away. Defender catches up and grabs him as he goes up for lay up. Boy makes lay up. Obvious foul, but was called flagrant and two shots given and ball back. Nothing malicious in foul. Just have hard time seeing as flagrant when made shot.

2. Players subbed in for defense purpose, press on. Inbounds pass goes out of bounds without being touched. No time off clock. Can you resub out defensive players?

Thanks

TheOfficialOfficial
Waterboy

Post by TheOfficialOfficial »

Tower wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:25 pm 2 questions for you Clevelandbrown#1.

1. End of game time, boy has break away. Defender catches up and grabs him as he goes up for lay up. Boy makes lay up. Obvious foul, but was called flagrant and two shots given and ball back. Nothing malicious in foul. Just have hard time seeing as flagrant when made shot.

2. Players subbed in for defense purpose, press on. Inbounds pass goes out of bounds without being touched. No time off clock. Can you resub out defensive players?

Thanks
1. Sounds like it was possibly and intentional foul not flagrant. A defender must make a play on the ball.

2. He must remain in the game. Time must come off the clock.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'll piggyback on #2 from the last post with a similar question.

Sideline out of bounds, late in game and fouling situation. Offensive team has subbed in ballhandlers. Ball gets tipped away on the inbounds pass, referee points that the defensive team gets possession. Coach on the team who was inbounding then subs defensive players in. After they are signaled in, the referees get together and say that the original team will maintain possession...can the coach Sub the ball handlers back into the game? The only reason the sub was made was due to possession changing.

Thanks!

TheOfficialOfficial
Waterboy

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 pm I'll piggyback on #2 from the last post with a similar question.

Sideline out of bounds, late in game and fouling situation. Offensive team has subbed in ballhandlers. Ball gets tipped away on the inbounds pass, referee points that the defensive team gets possession. Coach on the team who was inbounding then subs defensive players in. After they are signaled in, the referees get together and say that the original team will maintain possession...can the coach Sub the ball handlers back into the game? The only reason the sub was made was due to possession changing.

Thanks!
Unfortunately once they are beckoned in they are reconized as players on the floor therefor the must remain on the floor. Unfortunate but that’s the rule.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

TheOfficialOfficial wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 pm I'll piggyback on #2 from the last post with a similar question.

Thanks!
Unfortunately once they are beckoned in they are reconized as players on the floor therefor the must remain on the floor. Unfortunate but that’s the rule.
That's what I thought. The coach didn't even attempt to put the original ball handlers back on the court, so I think they knew, I just wanted to check. It's unfortunate, but it happens.

Thanks for your response!

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

TheOfficialOfficial wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks
1. Sounds like it was possibly and intentional foul not flagrant. A defender must make a play on the ball.

What would the result of intentional foul be? They got 2 free throws and ball back.

Someone told me we could sub back out due to change of possesion, but wasn't sure about that.
Thanks

TheOfficialOfficial
Waterboy

Tower wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks

What would the result of intentional foul be? They got 2 free throws and ball back.

Someone told me we could sub back out due to change of possesion, but wasn't sure about that.
Thanks
Enforcement of intentional foul is 2FTs and ball back at the point of interruption. No matter if shot is made or not. Only exception is a intentional foul on a 3 point FG in which there would be 3 FTs and ball back at the point of interruption.

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

TheOfficialOfficial wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 pm
Tower wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks
Enforcement of intentional foul is 2FTs and ball back at the point of interruption. No matter if shot is made or not. Only exception is a intentional foul on a 3 point FG in which there would be 3 FTs and ball back at the point of interruption.
Ok, makes sense then. Just never seen it called on a made basket.
Thanks for info

Return to “Boys Basketball”