South Webster 2013-2014

Ushoot2Ishoot3
Riding the Bench

Re: South Webster 2013-2014

Post by Ushoot2Ishoot3 »

Roberts would be nice, MJ was a player and a champion but a horrible coach, still no on Cole.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

ushoot2Ishoot3 wrote:Roberts would be nice, MJ was a player and a champion but a horrible coach, still no on Cole.
Roberts can't coach. He is the HS principle. Ushoot2, lets hear your reasoning against coach cole. If you have any.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Yes, Roberts is the h.s principal. Kreischer is now the middle school principal /AD.
Mark my words, kreischer will hire one of his former players.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I saw in the paper that the deadline for applicants was today. Any of the Webster faithful have a list of the applicants?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I would venture to guess that if one of the 3 current assistants are not hired, the outside guy will have to find an entirely new staff.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Crab's brother wrote:I would venture to guess that if one of the 3 current assistants are not hired, the outside guy will have to find an entirely new staff.
I can't personally speak for any of them, but I would hope they would stick around. Just like coach cole over the past few year and the past few coaching changes, he has been the only consistent at Webster. Kreischer's situation was out of anyone's control, but after that Cole has been the constant. Cole takes over works with the boys but they hire Reece. Reece should have never been hired, not sure what that was all about. Reece is gone, cole once again takes over, but Ater is hired. Not saying he didn't do a good job, but administration should have been smart enough to know that a young ambitious guy like that was not going to stick around Webster long. Now coach cole is back at the helm again.
The reason I want them to stick around is because the boys at least deserve consistency. We need coaches even if just assistants, that will work with parents, school and community to rebuild the youth program. Guys who care about Webster (not just basketball) and helps these boys develop into strong dependable young men on and off the court. Getting these 3 to 4 year guys just is not cutting it. Administration needs to think long term.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

jeepmadness wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:I would venture to guess that if one of the 3 current assistants are not hired, the outside guy will have to find an entirely new staff.
I can't personally speak for any of them, but I would hope they would stick around. Just like coach cole over the past few year and the past few coaching changes, he has been the only consistent at Webster. Kreischer's situation was out of anyone's control, but after that Cole has been the constant. Cole takes over works with the boys but they hire Reece. Reece should have never been hired, not sure what that was all about. Reece is gone, cole once again takes over, but Ater is hired. Not saying he didn't do a good job, but administration should have been smart enough to know that a young ambitious guy like that was not going to stick around Webster long. Now coach cole is back at the helm again.
The reason I want them to stick around is because the boys at least deserve consistency. We need coaches even if just assistants, that will work with parents, school and community to rebuild the youth program. Guys who care about Webster (not just basketball) and helps these boys develop into strong dependable young men on and off the court. Getting these 3 to 4 year guys just is not cutting it. Administration needs to think long term.
I can't either, but to me, all of those young guys have paid their dues and if Webster goes outside again, I could easily see them all moving on.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

crab: probably not a bad assumption. I see the other 2 sticking around as assistants if they hire a current staff member. If they go outside, all bets are off. With that beins said, I never thought Cole would stick around after they hired Coach Ater, but he did, and is now a better coach for it.

jeepmadness: my preference is they go with a Webster alum given the options out there, but even if that's the case, might not mean anything as far as how long they stay: Rick Bowman coached from 89-94, Bob Johnson coached from 95-00, Brett Roberts from 2000-03. Of the names being talked about though, most seem like 8-10 year guys (i.e. won't be eyeing an administration job anytime soon). Still, given the recent success of Webster, they'll get resumes from qualified coaches outside of the district. But for Roberts and Kreischer to go outside, it'd have to be a can't miss candidate that is unquestionably more qualified than the current assistants (i.e. a head coach from a successful program) and someone that will stick around for more than 3-4 years. The last part is key though because as you said, the kids deserve continuity. That's why I think/hope one of the current assistants will get the job, and deservedly so.*

Ushoot2Ishoot3
Riding the Bench

Post by Ushoot2Ishoot3 »

Can the credit be given to the assistants for the past winning seasons? In a perfect world a great new coach stays for 20 years that would be awesome, but that is consistanly not the case. Ususally super coaches move on. There are thousands of mediocre head and assistant coaches in Ohio that would love the job.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

3 candidates interviewed today: Brenton Cole, Ryan Fenton and Jordan Lower. Don't know if any more interviews scheduled...looks like it'll be one of those three. Guys have paid their dues, time to give one of 'em a shot.*

Red Ridding Hood
Riding the Bench

Post by Red Ridding Hood »

Who's the guy from Indiana interviewing tomorrow ? Heard the job has been left vacant to bring in this guy ? Is he already in town? Anyone else heard this out there?

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

Red Ridding Hood wrote:Who's the guy from Indiana interviewing tomorrow ? Heard the job has been left vacant to bring in this guy ? Is he already in town? Anyone else heard this out there?
I was wondering the same thing? I heard this from a friend of one of the "brass." Sounds like a case of DIET (Delayed Interview Exception Technique), we'll have to see how this works out for the jeeps. Hopefully we'll hear some news soon. Anyone have a name/previous school for this guy?

Ushoot2Ishoot3
Riding the Bench

Post by Ushoot2Ishoot3 »

I think the last name was Bird No Seriously I hope this waiting was worth it I do feel there were qualified guys local, say....in the southern part of the state maybe

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

saveTHEnight wrote:
Red Ridding Hood wrote:Who's the guy from Indiana interviewing tomorrow ? Heard the job has been left vacant to bring in this guy ? Is he already in town? Anyone else heard this out there?
I was wondering the same thing? I heard this from a friend of one of the "brass." Sounds like a case of DIET (Delayed Interview Exception Technique), we'll have to see how this works out for the jeeps. Hopefully we'll hear some news soon. Anyone have a name/previous school for this guy?
I heard same thing, sounds like he is from INDIANA (Indiana NOT Delaware Illinois Arkansas Nevada or Alabama).

I don't know much about him but source tells me he's 4th cousin to Bob Knight's son Pat Knight is that true? I hope so cuz no way school turns him down then

I just hope he can COACH the motion offense (Cut Opposite And Cut Hard) because the Jeeps have always been good at that.

Don KeyPunch
Riding the Bench

Post by Don KeyPunch »

This all sounds too familiar for my taste... A guy interviewing from Indiana, related to Bobby Knight, at a school (SW) some would compare to that of the one in Hoosiers (Milan High School) because of the rural village with no football team... Hmmm. Maybe the man/coach in question is Gene Hackman? Wouldn't that be a great hire. Kuddos to the coaching search committee for going that extra mile to get the job done.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Might be wrong, but regardless who Webster bringing in to interview, I still think one of the three current assistants gets hired. Guy from Indiana with no connections to the area wanting to stay in scenic South Webster, Ohio for more than 3-4 years? Doubtful. On top of that, he would probably need to find an entire new staff at that point. Sounds a lot like Reese (last coach before Ater) who had no connections to Webster/Scioto County and lasted 2 years before calling it quits. Unless this is Brad Stevens or Tom Crean, I'd pass.*

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

art_vandelay wrote:Might be wrong, but regardless who Webster bringing in to interview, I still think one of the three current assistants gets hired. Guy from Indiana with no connections to the area wanting to stay in scenic South Webster, Ohio for more than 3-4 years? Doubtful. On top of that, he would probably need to find an entire new staff at that point. Sounds a lot like Reese (last coach before Ater) who had no connections to Webster/Scioto County and lasted 2 years before calling it quits. Unless this is Brad Stevens or Tom Crean, I'd pass.*
I think I'd pass on Tom Crean. He'd probably start yelling at Ater for leaving, like he did the Michigan assistant. :122245

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Had heard a decision was likely today, but nothing confirmed yet. Still think it'll be one of the three current assistants, and I hope the other two stay on (which may happen).

crab: no doubt...after I posted that, I thought for a second whether I'd actually be happy with Crean (no doubt on Brad Stevens). After thinking bout it, other than recruiting (which doesn't matter In high school bball), based upon Crean's hair, female glasses, and constant whining, I'd prolly pass on him too! Let him stay at IU and Matta keep dominating him*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Heard that Ryan Fenton is the pick. Ryan has been an assistant coach for Webster past few years under Ater, and played on the State Championship team under Kreischer. He knows the game well and has the right temperament for the position. And I gotta believe having Kreisher and Brett Roberts down the hallway will be a huge plus for a young coach, even in an unofficial capacity. Really do not believe Webster could go wrong with any of the three assistants, so I hope Cole and Lower stay on. Given the ties to Kreisher and Ater, it'll be the same style of play of hard nosed defense and rebounding.

Couple more weeks left of summer, then it'll be up to the kids to keep working through the fall. The Jeeps lost a lot, but with a player like Cook still there and some athletic underclassmen, they will still be a factor in D4.*

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

If Fenton is the pick I think it is a great one. I really think hiring one of your own is the way to go. Especially when you have a good one. I think in 2 years alot of people will look back and say "Great Hire"! Most the successful program or up and coming programs have started or reloaded with alumni. Portsmouth - Coach Collins, Valley - Coach Rolfe, Minford - Coach Shoemaker, West - Coach Bradford, Oak Hill Girls - Coach Hale, Wheelersburg Girls - Coach Spradlin. That is just a few. I am sure there are others. Best of luck to Coach Fenton & SW.

Return to “Boys Basketball”