South Webster 2013-2014

art_vandelay
SE

South Webster 2013-2014

Post by art_vandelay »

Another great season in the books for South Webster who lost in Regional Final to Fairfield Christian Academy. Seth Goddard, Jensen Dyer, Andrew Salisbury, Nick Norman and Lance Swords all graduate this year. This was a great group of kids that accomplished big things in their time at Webster and will definitely be missed.

As for next year, the Jeeps return Levi Cook, Denver Fuller and Brody Queen, among others. Cook is an All-State caliber player, but will need a second scoring option to take some pressure off him (basically someone to replace Goddard...easier said than done). Fuller and Queen were role players this year who will be asked to score next year as well. I can see rebounding/size being an issue next year with the loss of Dyer/Salisbury. Regardless, you know Coach Ater will have these kids playing lockdown defense. Any ideas as to potential contributors from the bench/junior varsity...especially big men? Also, heard the 8th grade class has some good athletes (finished 2nd to Minford in county tournament)...any freshmen next year capable of contributing?

Southeastern Ohio D4, as a whole, appears down next year based on players graduating/returning. Notre Dame returns some athletes, along with Symmes Valley and Leesburg Fairfield, and you figure SHL/TVC will have somebody step up. Also, with the OHSAA count this year coming up, rumors are that Lucasville Valley, Peebles, and a few others may be dropping to D4. With all that said, any thoughts about the Jeeps next year?*

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Re: South Webster 2013-2014

Post by jazzfingers888 »

well artvark, I have to agree with you on a few thangs. Cook will be the golden hands for the Jeeps next year, but someone else will need to produce. Teams will look to shut down Cook with a double/triple team. Jeeps need to find a way to get double penetration tho. Fuller is a stellar defender/brawler but needs to work on his shot (alot). Queen will have (HAVE) to step up next year as well, which i think he will. The Jeeps will be fine next year with Coach Stevie steering the ship. Go Jeeps!

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

Jeeps lost a bunch and may be a few years before they get to the same level IMHO.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Any of those kids leaving playing ball after high school?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

If the rumors are true, and good sources I know are saying so, Coach Ater has taken the Wheelersburg job. If so, who is next in line for the Jeeps as coach? Brenton Cole? Ryan Fenton? Jordan Lower? Outside hire? Whoever it is will have to know that the next 2 years are going to be tough, but Webster has a good group of freshmen coming through. As long as they D4, it still one of the better jobs in the area. Administration has gotten 2 out of the last 3 hires right, let's hope they get this one right as well.*

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

I hope they hire Ryan Fenton. He has a state championship ring. He has been coached by the best in Mark Kreisher. Hs been working with a great young coach at South Webster for the last few years. But more importantly, is a Jeep through and through.
He will work with the youth and build a solid program.
He would be my choice!!

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Ryan Grashel?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Unlike the past, South Webster definitely has options. Several of the members of the State teams (Lower, Grashel, Fenton, Bowman, Waginger) are all coaching at one level or another. Brenton Cole coached with the State teams and has been apart of the most recent staff as well. I called my Webster source today and he said he hadn't heard anything, but we both expect the job to go to one of the aforementioned individuals

The timing isn't the best though. Any idea what South Webster is going to do for their Summer basketball? Perhaps Kreischer will fill in until someone is named?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Bbjunky: yep...gotta believe new hire will come from one of those names. Kreischer is an interesting thought now that he back at Webster...maybe Webster would let its administrators coach as well!! Cole as been coaching the longest of those names and would have the age/ experience advantage over some of the others.

Also heard Webster alum Jimmy Carr applied for Burg job, so gotta think he'd apply for this as well. He been pretty successful coaching girls ball in North Carolina. Webster will definitely have some options.*

Ushoot2Ishoot3
Riding the Bench

Post by Ushoot2Ishoot3 »

Pass on Cole dont feel he has the mindset under pressure sorry my opinion, maybe Roberts, McGraw .

Ushoot2Ishoot3
Riding the Bench

Post by Ushoot2Ishoot3 »

Pass on Cole dont feel he has the mindset under pressure sorry my opinion, maybe Roberts, McGraw .

Red Ridding Hood
Riding the Bench

Post by Red Ridding Hood »

I have to agree with ushootup2, Cole don't have the right mind set, never been apart of any big games to get experience. I'm interested in this McGraw Roberts guy where is he from? First I've heard of him.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Cole is your best option. Not sure what kind of high pressure situations in the above mentioned posts they are not talking about. South Webster basketball has been nothing but high pressure the past decade. He has been there the whole time. That is the other issue with hiring for a basketball coach outside of Webster. Lifespan of a Webster coach is only 4-5 years at best. For you history buffs do some research on Webster coaches. Longest lifespan? Need somebody in there that is going to stick it out. Someone who is not coaching just for a "W" ,but cares about the boys, the school, and the community.
Coach cole fits the bill. A part of the community, cares about the boys, cares about school, has a ring and has been a part of successful programs(soccer and basketball) and knows what it takes to be successful. If you know coach cole like I do then you know he also has the ability to make due with what he has to work with. That is any situation.

blackraider
Riding the Bench

Post by blackraider »

Kreischer is an interesting thought now that he's back at Webster, in what role? Assuming administrative?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

black raider: no chance of Kreischer...he assistant principal/athletic director and Webster has a policy that administrators can't coach. Great to have him back in the Webster system though, and will be a great basketball mind to pick for whoever new coach is.

Jeep madness: don't really know what ushoot2 is referring to about Cole...he played, coached under two great coaches, and is a Webster guy. While the outside hires are great, they aren't vested in South Webster. With all the qualified Webster alums out there now, it'd take a phenomenal candidate from outside to be selected over Carr, Cole, Fenton or Lower. And any one of those four would likely be a 5-10 year guy.*

Wholly_Shnikeys
Riding the Bench

Post by Wholly_Shnikeys »

It's rare to have a state championship in southern ohio, and probably even more rare that so many guys from the state championship team are willing/qualified to coach. Webster is nuts if they don't go with one of those guys, not too many people can say they know what it takes to win it all. Besides the fact that I've heard nothing but good things about cole, lower, and fenton from the X's and O's standpoint, they know what they're doing.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Doesn't matter who the coach is. Coach K will be calling the shots. Good luck to Aterade at the burg and sorry for the 2 losses this coming season

bunt pirate
Freshman Team

Post by bunt pirate »

Swanker Pine wrote:Doesn't matter who the coach is. Coach K will be calling the shots. Good luck to Aterade at the burg and sorry for the 2 losses this coming season
Dang good insight there. Didn't know sw administration had connections to Mike Krzyzewski at Duke. Pretty impressive. He already has a lot on his plate but I'm sure he can definitely help the team. And didn't know my pirates had to forfeit two games next season? What happened? Someone please enlighten me on this issue??? Thanks. Go burg.

blackraider
Riding the Bench

Post by blackraider »

[quote="art_vandelay"]black raider: no chance of Kreischer...he assistant principal/athletic director and Webster has a policy that administrators can't coach. Great to have him back in the Webster system though, and will be a great basketball mind to pick for whoever new coach is.

Jeep madness: don't really know what ushoot2 is referring to about Cole...he played, coached under two great coaches, and is a Webster guy. While the outside hires are great, they aren't vested in South Webster. With all the qualified Webster alums out there now, it'd take a phenomenal candidate from outside to be selected over Carr, Cole, Fenton or Lower. And any one of those four would likely be a 5-10 year guy.*[/quote]

Art,
What happened to Brett Roberts-thought he was AD/Assistant Principal and Bobby J was principal? Thanks for any info. u can give.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

blackraider wrote: Art, What happened to Brett Roberts-thought he was AD/Assistant Principal and Bobby J was principal? Thanks for any info. u can give.
Johnson retired, Roberts new principle, kreischer vice principle and AD.

Return to “Boys Basketball”