Waterboy

Re: OVC 2013-2014

Post by eaglepride05 »

Fairland followed by Chesapeake

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

I think Fairland would be the favorite with the next two being South Point and Chesapeake in no particular order. At least this is the last year River Valley has to always be going to an away game to a "far away " land every week!

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

I can see the Pointers being able to compete with all the teams in the league. I don't know if we have the speed to beat Fairland though. Fairland 1st and the Pointers 2nd then Chesapeake.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

I agree with the last two posts about Fairland being the favorite followed by SP. You can never count Peake out. 4-6 are all a toss up to me right now. Too early to tell. Just for fun here are my predictions

Fairland
SP
Peake
RV
Rock Hill
CG

Point Guard Coach
Waterboy

Post by Point Guard Coach »

I think everyone will be surprised by a very improved Coal Grove team. They looked very good over the summer. Markins one of the better 2 guards in area. Big kid in post will help tremendously and have some depth at guard position. Very athletic and strong team. SP team will struggle to keep up with Chesapeake, CG, or Fairland. Lack of discipline evident in previous years and I'm sure it hasn't changed.

ac_cincee
Waterboy

Post by ac_cincee »

I think that Chesapeake is going to be better than what everyone thinks.. they have some very good players and also have some height to their advantage

trojans_16
Waterboy

Post by trojans_16 »

Big Red is still coaching at Chesapeake? They will win league again and again as long as he is there, including this year!
Coal Grove second! Markins is a really nice player, watch out for Paulus and Adkins to really help out this season over there. They both made all league last season. If they get any work from the big football player they will challenge Chesapeake all season! very deep team! Fairland third. Maddox, Short but who else? South point fourth point guard transfer will be big loss for them. Rock Hill fifth but will be better, Collins a nice player needs to score more! River Valley prolly won't win any ovc games.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Who was the guard that moved out of South Point and where did he go?

I was told this summer that South Point had a big kid move in that was pretty impressive. I haven't personally seen him so it could just be rumors. Did they get a big kid in?

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

I was told by someone at South Point that they did indeed get a kid from Central Crossing, a school out of Grove City.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

bbjunky81 wrote:Who was the guard that moved out of South Point and where did he go?

I was told this summer that South Point had a big kid move in that was pretty impressive. I haven't personally seen him so it could just be rumors. Did they get a big kid in?
Two members of South Point's team left this year. Meadows went back to Huntington St. Joe and Adams went to Symmes Valley like last month.

One kid did move here from Columbus first name Eli and yes he is a big kid 6-4 or 6-5 if I were to guess.

bigpoppy20
Riding the Bench

Post by bigpoppy20 »

Fairland wins it. Maddox is a great athlete. CG will be super competitive with a bunch of guys who try. Peake always has good "basketball" players even when they don't have athletes but I think they might slip to fourth. SP may have most athletes. Nodbody really cares about RV.
Fairland
Coal Grove
SP
Peake
RV
RH

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

Rock Hill will not finish below RV, bigpoppi. Collins will be one of the top 10 players in the conference and River Valley will not be able to matchup with the Redmen.

The OVC should be extremely competitive and pretty wide-open this season. I was surprised to read that River Valley parted ways with Coach Jordan Hill, he impressed me with his schemes and seemed to get the maximum out of his talent. All other coaches return and it should be a fun entertaining season. Most every game will be a war with the title coming down to who can steal any road wins in some of the toughest, loudest, well-coached environments south of Columbus.

Coal Grove has the talent returning to get the job done, but it will not be easy in this absolutely stacked conference. Do-everything PG Alex Bare graduated and will definitely be sorely missed. Senior Conor Markins led the team in scoring last season, made All-State and should pick up right where he left off....he has gotten stronger but that strength is going to be put to the test nightly by most teams' top defenders. Senior DJ Miller (Media All-District last season) promises to be a welcome addition to the squad, it will be nice to have ol' Lefty's intensity on our team as opposed to against it in the past few seasons.

High school basketball players typically make their biggest talent bursts between their sophomore and junior season and the Hornets certainly have their share of them to help take this program to the next level. Juniors who are going to make enormous leaps this season for the Grove include Sean Paulus (All-OVC last season), I look for a much stronger and physical Paulus to further develop his midrange game to compliment his lethal-at-times outside shooting. Isaiah Gunther also really found his outside stroke in some games last season and is stronger and faster, I look for Isaiah to know his role and absolutely go into lockdown mode on the defensive end. Brandon Adkins (Media All-District last season) had some giant games last season and will be difficult to guard again this season. I look for Brandon to really be a force on the boards and slashing to the basket as he can leap out of the gym.

I look for big improvements and significant contributions from Red Pleasants, Joe Akers and Jonathan Joseph....that trifecta right there may hold the key to this team advancing with a playoff run.....I feel like each one of those kids has a monster season in them, given the right circumstances and increased confidence levels to go along with their valuable experience from last season.....all three are much stronger, faster and more athletic and should each fill much-needed roles within the framework of the team.

I have big expectations for the Coal Grove Hornets this basketball season.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

It's between Fairland and Chesapeake again this year.

Dragons are returning most of their squad from last year that went to the District Semifinals in D2 before losing a close game to Vinton, and are back in D3 this year. This year's team may be the ones to break the curse of "The Untouchables" and make a run to the state tournament.

ac_cincee
Waterboy

Post by ac_cincee »

I think it is going to be a wait and see thing... I agree Fairland is going to be good and Chesapeake will probably surprise alot of people this year. We did lose very good players but we have some very good juniors and seniors that we can depend on this year. We do have height to our advantage... so we will just have to wait and see

Cpeake740
Waterboy

Post by Cpeake740 »

I agree that Chesapeake is going to surprise some people. If Chad Meadows cannot play than that will hurt them greatly. But they will be the most disciplined team in the conference and their defense will be solid as always. The kids will play hard and under control. Excited to see some Panther basketball this year.

ac_cincee
Waterboy

Post by ac_cincee »

Yes Chad is hurt and will not be playing and that will hurt the Peake but we always have a team of boys that are disciplined and coached well. I am excited as well to see these boys in action and look forward to a good year!

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

purplepanther0101 wrote:Yes Chad is hurt and will not be playing

That is horrible to read - super kid and athlete, always gives 100%

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point will have some depth this year. There are quite a few football players who have came out this year that have not played the last couple of years.

ironman
Waterboy

Post by ironman »

Chesapeake will play solid fundamental basketball as they always do under their coach.
IMO they will take the conference. Coaching really does matter at the hs level and I think he does a solid job.

Return to “Boys Basketball”