Re: Portsmouth @ Warren 12/10

Post by noreply66 »

Portsmouth 66
Warren 60 last i heard

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Wow...Portsmouth just put D3 on notice! Great win that'll carry a lot of weight come tourney seeding time. Congrats Trojans*

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

trojan7 wrote:Trojans win 66-60

Scoring
Trojans:
Allison 22
Reynolds 18
Gibson 9
Oliver 7
Lisath 4
Dickerson 3
DeLotell 3

Warriors:
Patton 20
Hall 16
Drayer 9
Kidder 7
Mazurrwicz 4
French 3
Henthorn 1
looks like they put the stops on French

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

Portsmouth came to the Warrior Dome and shot the lights. Thats all you can say. Well not really. The Trojans had a great game plan and executed it to perfection. Attack the rim and take French out of his game. GAME,SET, MATCH!!!

Portsmouth shot 50% in the 1st half 12 for 24 with Allison getting it done in the paint and freshman Reynolds going 4-4 from 3 land. The Warriorscame back in the 2nd by going to the paint with Drayer scoring 6, Hall 4, Patton 2, Mazurkiewicz 2 to tie it up at 34 all.

The 2nd half started just like the 1st as the Trojans shot 53% in the 3rd. Allison and Gibson on the inside. Patton came alive for the Warriors scoring 9 points to keep them close at 7, 54-47. The Warriors had the lead 46-44 at the 4:50 mark but that did not last long.

Allison and Reynolds were the only Trojans to score field goals in the 4th, the team made 5-8 foul shots. The Warriors on the other hand hit only 1-8 from beyond the arc, all rushed with no flow to the offense IMO.

Hard fought game,tough loss, GOOD SHOOTING, BAD SHOOTING. The Trojans came to play as always, the Warriors were there but got out played.

Long season lets move forward!!!!

Good luck to the Trojans and good to see you Trojandave.

GO WARREN WARRIORS!!!

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

My napkin stats:
Portsmouth
24 for 48 field goals 50%
5 for 12 3s 41%
8 for 16 foul shots 50%
8 off. rebounds
17 def. rebounds
9 turnovers

Warren
24 for 62 field goals 38%
3 for 23 3s 13%
9 for 15 foul shots 60%
8 off. rebounds
16 def. rebounds
10 turnovers

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

I have a prediction for you guys.... Lucasville Valley will beat Warren by 10+ IMHO. Of course anything can happen that's why they play the games but Valley is a LOT better than Portsmouth. This loss should worry The Warriors especially with them having such a tough schedule. Luckily there is lots of basketball ahead for everybody!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

VERY PROUD OF THE TROJANS!!

Portsmouth looked like a completely different team last night than they did vs. Ironton........our kids came to play, and play they did. Going into the game, I felt that the Trojans' defense was their strength, and it showed last night.........it disrupted the Warriors' offense all night. PHS did an admirable job on the boards vs. a taller WHS team. Offensively, sophomore Kyre Allison and freshman Kendall Reynolds combined for 40 points, while Hunter Gibson was effective drawing fouls in the paint while scoring 9 points. It was a total team effort by the Trojans, and Coach Collins played a lot of kids off the bench. Coach had his team very well prepared for the game. This was a huge game to get a good start out of the gate in the SEOAL standings.

Warren is an excellent basketball team, and last night doesn't change my mind about that. The threesome of Evan French, Reece Patton, and Michael Hall will be a tough match for anybody. Warren has a deep bench as well. To beat the Warriors on their court is a very difficult thing to do, but the Trojans have managed 3 times in the last 5 meetings (2010, 2011, and 2013) to accomplish the feat.

Great to talk to ex-coach78 who is always a gentleman........we had a lively conversation last night, which is always fun with him. Love his passion for the game. Also got to chat with WarriorBlue, and several other Warren fans, and enjoyed talking basketball with them.

GO TROJANS!!!

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

I can see now why the Trojans are moving to the OVC!!

Travelling to Warren Local on a Tuesday Night Game. Wow, what time did bus pull into portsmouth?

Fighting_Scots1
Freshman Team

Post by Fighting_Scots1 »

I thought the same thing ... 9:45 pm I was following their bus out 339 from Warren ... That's college type travel conditions right there (small college anyways).

yah think?
Waterboy

Post by yah think? »

npeifer wrote:I have a prediction for you guys.... Lucasville Valley will beat Warren by 10+ IMHO. Of course anything can happen that's why they play the games but Valley is a LOT better than Portsmouth. This loss should worry The Warriors especially with them having such a tough schedule. Luckily there is lots of basketball ahead for everybody!

I sure hope your coach doesn't think like this if he does Valley will lose by 15 or even more this warren team is very good and not sure how you think valley is much better the Portsmouth but that's your opinion like you said . Warren has nothing to worry about they have great coaches that will put this team back in Columbus again this year Last night Portsmouth was just to quick for them IMO.

my prediction is Warren will handle Valley either way by 10 or more not saying valley is not good just saying valley is not warren good

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Captain Trojan: I agree bout the Valley poster underestimating Warren based on last night's game....Valley will have their hands full with Warren. But your post goes on to imply that Valley isn't Portsmouth good (if Valley's not "Warren good", then how can they be as good as a team that beat Warren?). Great win for Portsmouth, but I think Valley is the more complete team inside and out, and stacked with upperclassmen. Wouldn't be surprised to see Valley/PHS matchup at District Finals or Regionals, so we'll likely find out.*

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Jottings wrote:Don't think anyone will come close to the Warriors in SEOAL play this winter.

How did this prediction work out for you?

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Captain Trojan wrote:
npeifer wrote:I have a prediction for you guys.... Lucasville Valley will beat Warren by 10+ IMHO. Of course anything can happen that's why they play the games but Valley is a LOT better than Portsmouth. This loss should worry The Warriors especially with them having such a tough schedule. Luckily there is lots of basketball ahead for everybody!

I sure hope your coach doesn't think like this if he does Valley will lose by 15 or even more this warren team is very good and not sure how you think valley is much better the Portsmouth but that's your opinion like you said . Warren has nothing to worry about they have great coaches that will put this team back in Columbus again this year Last night Portsmouth was just to quick for them IMO.

my prediction is Warren will handle Valley either way by 10 or more not saying valley is not good just saying valley is not warren good
Wow!! Great post for your 2nd in over 6 years!!!! I'm definitely impressed 8)

northern exposure
Waterboy

Post by northern exposure »

I hope the Big Blue get the rebounding figured out - according to paper 34 - 22 Port. As WHS2422 and I discussed in some previous posts, maybe we're missing Duckworth a little bit, could have used those few extra points this game. I wasn't at the game, can anyone tell me if we tried to run any inside game, I see we shot 23 - 3's and didn't get a lot of rebounds. When the 3's aren't falling, I hope we would go inside, try and get some fouls an cause them to change up defenses - maybe we did - looking for some insight for those who were able to make it. Also looking at the box score - I saw the JV's played like 15 kids but in the varsity game - we played 7, I think our bench is deeper than that, if someone is off, sub a little bit. Press them and wear them down, we have plenty of bench to do that.

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

ToeStubber01; Here is my take on the inside game. It was there the Warriors just did not take it. My shot chart shows Warren shot 7 shots in the paint in the 1st making 4,compared to 0 for 7 3s. The 2nd qt. they made 7 of 8 in the paint and only shot 2 3s making 1. That got them back in the game tied at 34 all. 3rd qt. Warren had 9 shots in the paint but only made 3 and made 1 out of 5 3s. The 4th the Warriors had 5 shots in the paint making 3 and shot 8 3s making 1. Credit Portsmouths defense, but IMO the inside game was there. The 4th qt. had no flow on offense and rushed every shot trying to get even, but had a lot of time to do it inside.
GO WARREN WARRIORS!!!!!!

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Regulator wrote:I can see now why the Trojans are moving to the OVC!!

Travelling to Warren Local on a Tuesday Night Game. Wow, what time did bus pull into portsmouth?
I heard it was the Trojans choice to come to Warren on Tuesday, instead of the originally scheduled Saturday.

yah think?
Waterboy

Post by yah think? »

art_vandelay wrote:Captain Trojan: I agree bout the Valley poster underestimating Warren based on last night's game....Valley will have their hands full with Warren. But your post goes on to imply that Valley isn't Portsmouth good (if Valley's not "Warren good", then how can they be as good as a team that beat Warren?). Great win for Portsmouth, but I think Valley is the more complete team inside and out, and stacked with upperclassmen. Wouldn't be surprised to see Valley/PHS matchup at District Finals or Regionals, so we'll likely find out.*

I did not word it just right but I just think Portsmouth surprised warren with their quickness I did not say Portsmouth was warren good either Evan French having only 3 points sure did not help the warriors being from Scioto county I hope valley does beat them but this is a message site and my opinion is warren is a better sorry if I can not explain it any better.

Jesco sorry I was MIA for a few years {locked up in prison in Lucasville will do that} I know I would be a lot smarter if I hung out here every day so I will try harder

yah think?
Waterboy

Post by yah think? »

mhs95_06 wrote:
Regulator wrote:I can see now why the Trojans are moving to the OVC!!

I heard it was the Trojans choice to come to Warren on Tuesday, instead of the originally scheduled Saturday.
Warren plays Fort Frye on Saturday and did not want to play Portsmouth on Friday then play Fort Frye the next day

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Let me start off by saying "Hats Off" to Portsmouth. They had a great gameplan and they executed it to perfection. To those that say Warren was "surprised" by the Trojans quickness, I say poppycock. Coach Maddox and staff were fully aware of the talent Portsmouth has. A trip to the Bannon Park Classic this summer and the Warriors got a close up look at the Trojans speed and quickness.
The sky isn't falling and this team will be fine. They may not have the gaudy record of last years team but I believe they will be ready for a tourney run come March. The stretch of games until years end will be a tremendous test. Warren will have to improve 4sure but improve they will.
Being the hunted is very different than being the hunter. Ask any coach that has success and they will tell you it's much harder the following year.
The Warriors have all the pieces to be successful. I wouldn't trade our kids for anybody. Other than French, Hall and Patton there wasn't a kid on the floor that had EVER been in a varsity game of that magnitude. We made mistakes and Portsmouth made us pay. Like ANY good team would do. It was a 6 point loss and Portsmouth shot lights out. If French makes a couple of those 3's in the 4th quarter it's a much different game.
The next 5 games are gonna be a huge test but I believe that it's a test we can pass with flying colors.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Captain Trojan wrote:
art_vandelay wrote:Captain Trojan: I agree bout the Valley poster underestimating Warren based on last night's game....Valley will have their hands full with Warren. But your post goes on to imply that Valley isn't Portsmouth good (if Valley's not "Warren good", then how can they be as good as a team that beat Warren?). Great win for Portsmouth, but I think Valley is the more complete team inside and out, and stacked with upperclassmen. Wouldn't be surprised to see Valley/PHS matchup at District Finals or Regionals, so we'll likely find out.*

I did not word it just right but I just think Portsmouth surprised warren with their quickness I did not say Portsmouth was warren good either Evan French having only 3 points sure did not help the warriors being from Scioto county I hope valley does beat them but this is a message site and my opinion is warren is a better sorry if I can not explain it any better.

Jesco sorry I was MIA for a few years {locked up in prison in Lucasville will do that} I know I would be a lot smarter if I hung out here every day so I will try harder
Oh I'm sure you "hang out here" plenty. Again, I appreciate the in-depth post about the Portsmouth-Warren game and the rundown on Valley. No need for you to apologize. I'm in 100% agreement with you about this being a message board and everybody having their own opinion. No need to "apologize" to me for anything 8)

By the way, nice early season win for the Trojans. Coach Collins and his staff do a great job with their kids, and I think they've got a talented group again this year. I look forward to watching them some.

Return to “Boys Basketball”