DII Logan Sectional

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Re: DII Logan Sectional

Post by SOHSP »

93Bulldog wrote:I understand that statement ... BUT ... they were one charge call away from being 2-2 ... lol

Agreed! And while we are at it, they are a blown 12 point forth quarter lead away from being 3-1. Always look for the silver lining!!!

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

And if your football team wasn't so darn good, you could of been 4 - 0....... LOL

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Just a little info to throw out there!

Warren Opp
131-95 58% winning percentage

Logan Elm
128-112 53% winning percentage

Athens
122-120 50% winning percentage

strokn7
Riding the Bench

Post by strokn7 »

Cols Bishop Hartley
Valley
Portsmouth
Fairfeild Christian Academy 2x
Fort Frye

If the Warriors can beat the Cadets at home that will make 6 quality wins. They've done EVERYTHING they could. Nobody in the SE District has as many impressive wins. If the coaches wanna hang their hat on two December games, Warren vs Portsmouth and Athens vs LE, then I guess the remainder of the schedule was meaningless. I don't believe that to be the case. I think after looking at the body of work, taking into account how the teams are currently playing and WHO they've beaten Warren will get the nod hands down.
But they DIDN'T do everything they could. They DID lose to Portsmouth and they DID get blown out by Watterson. I will leave the West Virginia team out as it's hard to get a feel for how good they are. It doesn't matter if this was early in the year. You want Logan Elm's quality win and Warren's bad losses just thrown under the mat like they didn't happen. D4 Fairfield Christian (down from last year) x2 and Fort Frye (recipients of a pathetic schedule) x2 are hardly great wins. Bishop Hartley is a solid win, but we are starting to find out they aren't as good as we all thought. Valley was the best win on Warren's schedule (very good win).

If Warren beats Portsmouth and doesn't get blown out by Watterson I think this is a non-argument. However, it's about the whole body of work and Logan Elm has taken care of business with no bad losses and some really solid wins.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WarriorBlue wrote:Just a little info to throw out there!

Warren Opp

Logan Elm

Athens
Kind of misleading when you play a team like ASVSM, who happens to have a .500 record right now. Give ASVSM a southeast district schedule and they go 22-0 with relative ease.

:mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

PER THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH THIS MORNING:

"In Division II, there will be little mystery at the top. Defending champion Watterson (15-1) is a lock for the top seed, and coach Vince Lombardo will opt to enter the bracket that would advance to the Athens regional with east and southeast Ohio teams. The other bracket feeds into a Dayton regional perceived to be much stronger." - Steve Blackledge

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

93Bulldog wrote:PER THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH THIS MORNING:

"In Division II, there will be little mystery at the top. Defending champion Watterson (15-1) is a lock for the top seed, and coach Vince Lombardo will opt to enter the bracket that would advance to the Athens regional with east and southeast Ohio teams. The other bracket feeds into a Dayton regional perceived to be much stronger." - Steve Blackledge
Bring them on! I sure the hell hope that if the Bulldogs don't knock out Watterson, then Warren or Logan Elm does. Go Southeast Ohio!!!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

strokn7 wrote:
Cols Bishop Hartley
Valley
Portsmouth
Fort Frye

If the Warriors can beat the Cadets at home that will make 6 quality wins. They've done EVERYTHING they could. Nobody in the SE District has as many impressive wins. If the coaches wanna hang their hat on two December games, Warren vs Portsmouth and Athens vs LE, then I guess the remainder of the schedule was meaningless. I don't believe that to be the case. I think after looking at the body of work, taking into account how the teams are currently playing and WHO they've beaten Warren will get the nod hands down.
But they DIDN'T do everything they could. They DID lose to Portsmouth and they DID get blown out by Watterson. I will leave the West Virginia team out as it's hard to get a feel for how good they are. It doesn't matter if this was early in the year. You want Logan Elm's quality win and Warren's bad losses just thrown under the mat like they didn't happen. D4 Fairfield Christian (down from last year) x2 and Fort Frye (recipients of a pathetic schedule) x2 are hardly great wins. Bishop Hartley is a solid win, but we are starting to find out they aren't as good as we all thought. Valley was the best win on Warren's schedule (very good win).

If Warren beats Portsmouth and doesn't get blown out by Watterson I think this is a non-argument. However, it's about the whole body of work and Logan Elm has taken care of business with no bad losses and some really solid wins.
You can denigrate Fort Frye and FCA all you want but they both are quality basketball teams. Fort Frye will do very well in the East District most likely advanced to the championship game. FCA has a legit DI basketball player and ANYTIME you can defeat at team with that kind of talent, it a quality win.
I give my opinion based on what I've seen. Take this to the bank Warren fears NOBODY. The kids will show up play hard and compete. So whether or not they are the #1 seed is irrelevant. They ARE the team NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY 1st game of the tourney.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:
WarriorBlue wrote:Just a little info to throw out there!

Warren Opp

Logan Elm

Athens
Kind of misleading when you play a team like ASVSM, who happens to have a .500 record right now. Give ASVSM a southeast district schedule and they go 22-0 with relative ease.

:mrgreen:
They may not show the full context but not misleading. But it's equally fair to all 3 teams. You wanna assume the teams in Florida were good but maybe they aren't when compared to Ohio basketball. Ohio basketball is a known quantity. If this discussion were football your theory would hold water much better.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

strokn7 wrote:
Cols Bishop Hartley
Valley
Portsmouth
Fort Frye

Watterson blows out most teams, if not all, in SE Ohio, so that shouldn't be held against Warren. I commend Warren for scheduling that game, as I do for Athens with SVSM.

Hartley is a quality win for Warren. When I look at Portsmouth, they seem a little Jekyll and Hyde to me. Pretty good team but they've had some high peaks and then a few low valley losses. Not comparing the talent, but Circleville is a little similar in the MSL-Buckeye. FF and FCA are good wins for Warren, but I feel a win LE has over Chillicothe is just as good. Give them those schedules and they'd run up a real nice win percentage, as well.

LE quality wins - Athens, WCH, Bloom-Carroll, Teays Valley, Circleville, Chillicothe
Warren quality wins - Hartley, Valley, Portsmouth, FCA, FF

It's a difficult choice for the coaches. I feel LE is the No. 1 if they win out this weekend. Add another good win. Even if you want to say, we'll give LE another loss for Watterson, they still have a better record and it brings the SOS into line.

And the funny thing is at the end of the day, Athens may be the best of the three, but had some resume building opportunities denied itself due to the crappy winter weather.

It's going to be an interesting sectional. If the seeds hold up and we get LE/Warren vs. Sheridan and LE/Warren vs. Athens, we're going to have two pretty good sectional finals.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

WarriorBlue wrote:You wanna assume the teams in Florida were good but maybe they aren't when compared to Ohio basketball. Ohio basketball is a known quantity.
If we were comparing to 'Ohio' would be one thing - but we're actually comparing to 'southeast ohio', 'southeast district' teams/schedules ... I hate to admit it, but there is kind of a difference.

If you listened to the show on Wed coach Skinner described the teams he played in Florida. "Bishop Eustace was easily the 2nd best team we played all year. They were a lot like ASVSM, except not quite the 'basketball skills' of a Jalen Hudson and V.J. King - but athletically very similar."

That is a bold statement from a man who coached against all the other teams on his schedule. Basically he is saying Eustace was better than Valley, better than Logan Elm.

"Shawnee NJ was somewhere in between Vinton County and us."

Basically Shawnee could be an 11-4 or 10-5 team right now if they played a southeast district schedule. The reason Shawnee doesn't have a good record is because they play in a league with the biggest private schools in the New Jersey/New York area - I'm guessing there is some pretty darn good basketball being played in that league.

strokn7
Riding the Bench

Post by strokn7 »

Watterson blew out 4 teams by more than 20 all year. Whetstone (terrible), Beechcroft (terrible), Westland (terrible) and Warren (really good club). Watterson doesn't play a pace to beat teams by 20+. That's the only reason I mention that 22 point loss as a bad loss.

Warren is a fantastic team and you are right, they will be an incredibly tough out in the tourney. However, Logan Elm deserveds the #1 seed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

strokn7 wrote:Logan Elm deserveds the #1 seed.
Saying Logan Elm 'deserves' the #1 seed over Athens at least has substance to it with the head-to-head win.
Saying Logan Elm 'deserves' the #1 seed over Warren is completely false. They don't even have a single 'common' opponent. I refuse to accept a 15-1 record being more deserving over a 14-3 when that 14-3 team played a more challenging schedule.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's a shame that 60-59 loss to Logan Elm occurred for Athens cause this team now does not even come close to resembling that team in early December. Tonight, opening play of the game, Ibi Watson cuts through the lane and dunks it. A little while later Joe Burrow throw up an ally-oop pass to Watson and he slams it home. In the 2nd half Watson stole a pass at half court, drove to the rim and threw down his third dunk of the night.

In all honestly, I think the Bulldogs are at least 14-16 points better than the Athens team which lost to Logan Elm. Maybe even more.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

athens vs warren to get to the convo

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... going to go to Unioto Saturday night to see the Shermans entertain Miami Trace ... MT got thumped by Chillicothe tonight 82-66 while Unioto won a 44-37 contest with Adena ... I haven't either of these teams since earlier in the season, will be good to get an end of the season look before the post season starts ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm is also better than that Logan Elm team Athens played in December.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bman wrote:Logan Elm is also better than that Logan Elm team Athens played in December.
Nope. No. Nope. No. Not a chance! Only 1 team can improve as the season progresses!!!!!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Oh how could I forget! :lol:

Softball 7
Riding the Bench

Post by Softball 7 »

Who will vote for who? I still wonder if Athens and Warren may vote for the other to ensure that they would not meet until districts. The 1 seed is not going to have a cake walk as the 4/5 game will produce quality opponents. Sheridan is likely the #4 and they are playing really well with back to back wins over a very good John Glenn team and Philo. Sheridan is very athletic, quality shooters, and well coached.
Possible Voting
Logan Elm - Logan Elm, Fairfield Union, Sheridan
Athens - Athens, Vinton County,
Warren - Warren, Marietta, Gallia Academy
Wild Card - Who will New Lex vote? Team that they feel they match up best against after the 8/9 game?

This seeding needs to change, teams have to start choosing where they want to go on the board. If teams could choose then they would be able to give their team the best option by playing teams that they feel they matchup better against.

Return to “Boys Basketball”