DII Logan Sectional

bman
SEO

Re: DII Logan Sectional

Post by bman »

Not sure Logan Elm could beat Park on its home floor, either, in defense of Warren.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Don't think for a second the fact that Warren was IN COLUMBUS last year and made the final four won't carry a little weight as well.

You can't ignore the fact they have all the key pieces back from a team that was not only the BEST in the district - but the BEST in the region as well.

They stepped up, played a tough schedule this year and are a (12-3) team with a serious winning streak going since Christmas - I highly doubt anyone can take the No. 1 away from them. Athens had a chance if they played head-to-head. But not now.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The fact the 4 seed and 5 seed probably don't want to play Warren is what will make things interesting.

It won't be "Logan Elm has a better record, they deserve the 1" ... it will be "we don't want to play Warren, therefor we will vote Logan Elm 1."

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Or they could vote New Lexington No. 1. :122249

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:Columbus Watterson
Bishop Hartley
Lucasville Valley
Wheeling Park
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Fort Frye
Fort Frye
F.C.A
F.C.A

Logan Elm hasn't played dogs - but there schedule doesn't look like that. Yea, they beat Athens 60-59 early the season when the Bulldogs had about 6 or 7 practices under their belt. I just don't think a '1-point win' over 1 really good team is going to cut the mustard in impressing other coaches at the draw in Jackson.
I'm going to point out something...8 of those 10 "quality" opponents are non league schools. Guess how many non league games Logan Elm can even schedule, that's right, 8. Out of those 8, only 1 is a bad team (Westfall) and they played at Athens (13-3), Washington CH (13-3, neutral floor), 3 teams in the FL tournament (unknowns, but still a challenge) Chillicothe (9-6, coming off of a great run of 6-7 years), and had Zane Trace (15-2) scheduled as well. While it's not quite up to Warren's, it isn't like they have played a bunch of bad teams. You can't control your 14 league games, but they went and scheduled a solid non conference schedule.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:Or they could vote New Lexington No. 1. :122249
LOL

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Frankly, this argument is getting old. I'm ready to get the bracket and go. The reason why Warren and Logan Elm both want the one so bad is they don't want to have to play Athens, because it's a 50/50 game. That's a compliment to Athens. As I've said all season they are 1a, 1b and 1c and we're grasping for straws any which way to separate them. Can't wait for tourney time.
Last edited by bman on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

It's fun to argue but it should be a fun sectional.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Just let Athens decide who they wanna play in sectional final.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote:I'm going to point out something...8 of those 10 "quality" opponents are non league schools. Guess how many non league games Logan Elm can even schedule, that's right, 8. Out of those 8, only 1 is a bad team (Westfall) and they played at Athens (13-3), Washington CH (13-3, neutral floor), 3 teams in the FL tournament (unknowns, but still a challenge) Chillicothe (9-6, coming off of a great run of 6-7 years), and had Zane Trace (15-2) scheduled as well. While it's not quite up to Warren's, it isn't like they have played a bunch of bad teams. You can't control your 14 league games, but they went and scheduled a solid non conference schedule.
Unfortunately for Logan Elm - the strength (or lack of) in the MSL will dictate there fate. But lets remember, the strength of the MSL in years past has helped them tremendously at seeding time.

How's the old saying go? "You live by the sword and die by the sword?" .......... ;-)
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

EasternDspy wrote:Just let Athens decide who they wanna play in sectional final.
Meigs or New Lex.

Wheeew. Glad that's over with.

:mrgreen:

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote
"Unfortunately for Logan Elm - the strength (or lack of) in the MVL will dictate there fate. But lets remember, the strength of the MVL in years past has helped them tremendously at seeding time.

How's the old saying go? "You live by the sword and die by the sword?" .......... ;-)
Logan Elm is in the MSL, not the MVL. :mad:

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

How about we move the Warren/LE vs. Athens sectional final game to the CONVO so we have enough room for the large crowd? :122249 :-D

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:Logan Elm is in the MSL, not the MVL. :mad:

Ooooooops ... fixed it.

Must have had football on my mind when I typed that ... :)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... we KNOW the Warren vs Athens game IS off for this week, won't be played until AFTER the seeding meetings in Jackson Sunday, Feb 9th ... I think it is a consensus that the #1, #2, and #3 seeds will come from the pool of Logan Elm, Warren and Athens ... let's see what games each play this week that could have an effect on the seeding :

Logan Elm will play at home vs Teays Valley Tuesday (LE winning @ TV 65-46) , vs Circleville Friday night ... LE won the first matchup 65-51 AT Roundtown ...finally Saturday LE plays Hamilton Twp whom they beat 76-41 ... Circleville is the obstacle Friday night as CHS is playing good basketball having beat Washington CH last week which plays in the same mold as Logan Elm - very quick defensively, perimeter oriented attack, the outcome of this one will lie in the hands of junior guard Justin Hill for CHS ... he scores in the 15-20 point range CHS has a chance, under 10 LE wins again by 10+ points ...

Athens plays Meigs Wednesday, @ Nelsonville York Friday night, vs Propel Pa. Saturday night at McAFee ... AHS beat Meigs in Athens 63-31, beat NY at home 64-35 ... Propel is 5-9 coming into Saturday's Senior Night game ... I don't see anything but a 3-0 week for the Bulldogs ... 16-3 for the Sunday meetings ...

Warren ... Fort Frye comes to the WarriorDome Tuesday night , the Warriors beat FF 73-57 in the first matchup at Fort Frye ... winless Jackson comes to Warren Friday night for Senior Night I don't see the Ironmen being on the same side of the 73-45 score the Iron Ladies enjoyed Saturday night ... Fort Frye's seniors have never beaten the Warriors in their varsity careers ... odds are not in their favor but the FF game is the only opportunity this week for the BBB to have a blemish that would keep them from the #1 seed come Sunday afternoon in Jackson ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Very solid breakdown, pfloyd. Something corky could happen this week to make the Warren-LE No. 1 seed debate mute. If it gets real corky, Athens could get involved again.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Seems that Athens probably out of a 1 seed.
Sounds like Athens would rather play LE in sectional and get a chance
to get Warren at the convo.
Warren may get votes from Marietta, Athens, and Warren. Will the
tbc teams go along with this.
Need to do away with this seeding and let coaches place themselves
on the bracket.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The entire district should be put into one big pool (18 teams in D2), with teams picking where they want to go in the bracket. It's time for the SE District to get with the 20th century. :122245

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

*UPDATED RECORDS*

DII Logan Sectional

1. Warren Local (13-3)
2. Athens (13-3)
3. Logan Elm (15-1)
4. Sheridan (12-4)
5. Vinton County (8-6)
6. Marietta (8-8)
7. Meigs (8-7)
8. Fairfield Union (6-10)
9. New Lex (6-11)

Still several key games to be played b4 Sunday's draw. Warren has the hardest road but it could payoff BigTime! Can they pull the trifecta beating Fort Frye, Athens and Jackson? If Warren can get by Fort Frye that sets up Warren/Athens playing for the #1 seed Wednesday in the Warrior Dome.

open_post
Freshman Team

Post by open_post »

I agree with bman about the super sectional. I would like to know why this is not an option. I have often heard it is because of travel but last year the southeast district required Waverly travel to Marietta and New Lexington had to travel to Miami Trace for a sectional baseball game (according to the bracket on their website). The same thing happens in softball and soccer! Why can't basketball teams travel?

Schools are willing to travel as teams in this sectional have played in Florida, Akron and Columbus to name a few locations.

It is time for the southeast district to adopt the model the rest of the state uses to seed teams. This would help eliminate the politics of the draw.

As far as the seeding I think you have to take the following into consideration.

1. Any head to head games.
2. Wins over good teams
3. Number of wins over teams that are D-1, D-2, D-3, D-4

I believe it is hard to say who is playing better because all three groups are well coached and are improving.
I also have a difficult time seeding a team high just because they lost to a good team, they lost.

Return to “Boys Basketball”