Beasts of the Southeast - Chesapeake HS Jan 11th

tubby
Varsity

Re: Beasts of the Southeast - Chesapeake HS Jan 11th

Post by tubby »

chicken_coop wrote:
I'm not saying it was malicious at all, but if the wrong player steps up and knowingly shoots a foul shot when another player is supposed to, it can be a technical foul. Which would have given Valley 2 shots and the ball down by 1 point.

I'm not saying anyone got cheated or anything, I'm just saying that's the reality of the situation, most kids with game awareness especially upperclassmen know you don't get 4 foul shots for a technical. Why would he shoot 2 then step back to the line?

Either way, 2 GREAT teams that played 2 tough games back to back nights! Congrats to both and good luck the rest of the year!
I'm not being a smart a$$ but is that a rule? That if a player accidentally shoots FT's he's not supposed to, he gets assessed a technical. I've been around basketball for awhile and never heard of that. Probably doesn't happen often though.

Also, maybe Burrow knew all along. If I'm in his shoes I'm thinking, "hey I've already shot 2 and I'm in a rhythm I'm gonna make them tell me to leave the FT line." Most big game players want the ball in their hands and maybe he knew what he was doing.

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

Just got home from a great day of hoops action! Coach Davis and the Chesapeake people put on a great event!

I post on here much but I wanted to see if there was any chatter about what happened in the 2nd OT and you SEOPs people do not let me down. As a former official, I can say I was very disappointed with how things played out in that 2nd OT. Both teams played their guts out and I was extremely impressed with both squads! The Athens teams is full of long athletic freaks and #10 and #20 killed it from behind the arc. The Indians showed a ton of grit and heart as Athens had bigger athletes all over the floor. But, I was left with a sour taste in my mouth after watching officials let their ego get in the way of their job. I was close to the end where the technical was called, and I couldn't believe the kid was nailed with it. He didn't curse or show up the official, he didn't scream and yell. The game was emotional, be an adult and let the kids decide the game with their play. The kids for both teams did their part in this game, but the officials didn't match their effort. Very inconsistent and the FT mistake is something that can not happen.

Now that I have that out, the rest of the day was quite entertaining. Coal Grove showed up big and beat an Eastern Brown team that is having another strong season. Eastern battled back but Coal Grove should have put it away much earlier. Also, Warren is very strong! The Warriors really put it on Fairland. Warren and Athens are two top notch DII teams! French and Hall can really play! Once again, great event! I look forward to it every year!

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

Burrow did no wrong in that situation! It was all officials. It is their job to get the correct shooter to the line. Not only that, but it is a correctable error. The FT should have been disallowed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dr_Know wrote:Not only that, but it is a correctable error. The FT should have been disallowed.
That's the interesting part. Burrow made the first 2, which if he's shooting the technical, that's fine.

But then he misses the 3rd, which is the one they should have corrected/negated and sent Burrow back to half court and brought up #12 ... I think since he actually missed it, it made it harder for the refs to correct. Cause had they said it didn't count and let #12 re-shoot - holly cow the Valley fans and coach would have went nuts, especially if #12 makes both.

When they grouped together after Burrow missed the 3rd, I think they just said screw it, we can't fix it now. Had Burrow made the 3rd, it may have actually been easier to correct. I don't even think coach Skinner would have minded so long as they explained what was going on.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

I'll have to watch it again on Nelsonville TV Cable to be sure, but after the two technical, Joe walked in back of the 3 point line and was beckoned back to the line shoot the two shot foul. It is only a technical if you try to fool the officials. When they tell you to shoot, you shoot. The technical was tough, but saying the wrong thing at the wrong time can bite you in the butt. Emotions were pretty high, Valley had made a great comeback, but one of the things I learned in my 37 years of basketball coaching is that the officials are the final word. I didn't particularly like it, but, that's the way it goes. Congratulations to both teams on a great basketball game. Both teams knew going into the weekend that they had two tough games to play, and they both split their games. Ryan Davis runs a great day of basketball and can't wait to go to Chesapeake again next year. Go Bulldogs!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BulldogCoach2012 wrote:Ryan Davis runs a great day of basketball and can't wait to go to Chesapeake again next year.
absolutely! Great event run by class act folks.

I knew it was going to be a good day when I walked through the doors and Peake71 hands me a T-shirt - and I didn't even have to give it to Pfloyd this time ... ;-)

Thanks coach Davis.
Thanks peake71.
Thanks to all the folks who help run the event!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I just watched the replay. REFS MADE a huge mistake by having Burrow shoot the first free throws. One ref then looks over to coach Skinner and asks who he wants to shoot the technical. I believe the one ref under the basketball thought Burrow was shooting the technical first, while the other had it right and knew they should have been shot second. Once Burrow missed the 3rd - it was basically uncorrectable at that point.

I have a feeling we will be seeing Valley vs Portsmouth at the Convo this spring with a lot on the line. They are a tremendous D3 team; would like to see Jordan West venture into the paint a little more though. He's a terrific athlete with excellent range - but he is also 6'6. That kind of height can be a huge advantage in the southeast district.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... The BEST regular season get together of TEAMS Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line is the Beasts of the Southeast !!! There is NO place I go anywhere in SEO that not only do the folks running the "show" appreciate you being there for the day of hoops BUT they want you to COME BACK ... you as a fan of high school hoops as you walk out the door, are saying "I can't wait to come back NEXT year!" ... Coach Davis & his entire family ( mom & dad included) , peake71 & the Beast of Southeast Committee , the Chesapeake school family (including the classified staff that keeps everything in working order ALL day long), Principal Tucker & his wife who were both there ALL day for the duration of the event, ALL of the mom's & dad's, the community of Chesapeake with it's volunteers who make THAT hospitality room run like clockwork with THE BEST food in SEO (filled with HOT, FRESH homemade foods from 10am until 10pm !!!) ...from myself and my wife, - ALL of YOU are AWESOME in making the "Beasts" -simply the BEST ... THANK YOU ALL !!!

... I KNOW that peake71 & Co. have started looking at NEXT year's event already ! this isn't a "let's just throw something together event - class from top to TOP because there is NO bottom in this event ... as I have said before "I feel at home when I walk in the door of Chesapeake High School - it's not the building it's the PEOPLE !!! - I like to feel I'm special BUT I see how they treat EVERYONE at the Beast ALL DAY LONG - it is the same , everyone who attends is treated the same ... smiles, handshakes, "great to see you ...", the ladies who sell the tickets at the door are absolutely some of the nicest folks I have ever met , they made BOTH my wife Jenny & I welcome from the time we arrived to the time we left ... Thank you ALL, and YES we will be back ...

ps ... Mary Davis , glad you and my wife, being such "long lost" high school friends, were able to talk and catchup on old times :mrgreen:

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

I first want to say, when I mess up I'll be the first to say,"I messed up". The game was an outstanding game played very hard by both teams. They both deserved to win but as we all know only one team can. The situation that came up was a shooting foul occurred, followed by a technical foul on the same team that committed the shooting foul. When these penalties occur you are to shoot them in the order that they happen. You shoot the foul first and then the technical foul second. This did happen, my partner administered the shooting foul first. Then I asked Coach Skinner who was to shoot the "T", he pointed to the same shooter who previously shot the free throws. The first technical free throw was shot, then my other partner came in and asked if we had the right shooter shoot the prior free throws. None of us, our fault, knew who the shooter should have been. May, I say the scorers table didn't know either. You have to be 100% sure who the shooter is to correct the situation. So in that situation we shot the second technical free throw and the gave Athens the ball at mid court opposite the table. Yes, it was a mistake that we officials made. Many people who don't officiate believe that officials just show up, call the game, collect their money and go home. Well, I'm here to tell you that it bothers many of us who have a situation like this happen. We are human just like all of you who are reading this. We make mistakes just like all of you do. We don't have replay like college or Pro games do. After the game, 7 officials had rule books, case books out and was checking the rules about this situation. We have concluded that we handled it correctly because we didn't know with 100% accuracy who the shooter should have been.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:I first want to say, when I mess up I'll be the first to say,"I messed up". The game was an outstanding game played very hard by both teams. They both deserved to win but as we all know only one team can. The situation that came up was a shooting foul occurred, followed by a technical foul on the same team that committed the shooting foul. When these penalties occur you are to shoot them in the order that they happen. You shoot the foul first and then the technical foul second. This did happen, my partner administered the shooting foul first. Then I asked Coach Skinner who was to shoot the "T", he pointed to the same shooter who previously shot the free throws. The first technical free throw was shot, then my other partner came in and asked if we had the right shooter shoot the prior free throws. None of us, our fault, knew who the shooter should have been. May, I say the scorers table didn't know either. You have to be 100% sure who the shooter is to correct the situation. So in that situation we shot the second technical free throw and the gave Athens the ball at mid court opposite the table. Yes, it was a mistake that we officials made. Many people who don't officiate believe that officials just show up, call the game, collect their money and go home. Well, I'm here to tell you that it bothers many of us who have a situation like this happen. We are human just like all of you who are reading this. We make mistakes just like all of you do. We don't have replay like college or Pro games do. After the game, 7 officials had rule books, case books out and was checking the rules about this situation. We have concluded that we handled it correctly because we didn't know with 100% accuracy who the shooter should have been.
Appreciate the clarification, sir.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

Very classy showcase in every way possible. Coach Davis and the entire Chesapeake crew do a great job with this day.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:I first want to say, when I mess up I'll be the first to say,"I messed up". The game was an outstanding game played very hard by both teams. They both deserved to win but as we all know only one team can. The situation that came up was a shooting foul occurred, followed by a technical foul on the same team that committed the shooting foul. When these penalties occur you are to shoot them in the order that they happen. You shoot the foul first and then the technical foul second. This did happen, my partner administered the shooting foul first. Then I asked Coach Skinner who was to shoot the "T", he pointed to the same shooter who previously shot the free throws. The first technical free throw was shot, then my other partner came in and asked if we had the right shooter shoot the prior free throws. None of us, our fault, knew who the shooter should have been. May, I say the scorers table didn't know either. You have to be 100% sure who the shooter is to correct the situation. So in that situation we shot the second technical free throw and the gave Athens the ball at mid court opposite the table. Yes, it was a mistake that we officials made. Many people who don't officiate believe that officials just show up, call the game, collect their money and go home. Well, I'm here to tell you that it bothers many of us who have a situation like this happen. We are human just like all of you who are reading this. We make mistakes just like all of you do. We don't have replay like college or Pro games do. After the game, 7 officials had rule books, case books out and was checking the rules about this situation. We have concluded that we handled it correctly because we didn't know with 100% accuracy who the shooter should have been.
What was the technical called for...?

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Guess that's just tough luck for Valley, and those things happen.

I'd also like to know why the T was called, before everything got messed up.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

When I watched it back a little while ago ... the foul was called underneath the basket as #12 for Athens went up for a lay-up ... the ref started walking to the scorers table, stopped, looked back at #11 for Valley and gave him the technical ... it was something #11 said that prompted the "T" ... obviously on film I didn't hear what he said - and I was on the opposite side of the court yesterday with a head set on so didn't hear then either. But something was definitely said, the ref stopped and clearly looked back at the player.

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

The kid said, "is it on the floor?"

I wasn't far away and could clearly see it.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Dr_Know wrote:The kid said, "is it on the floor?"

I wasn't far away and could clearly see it.
If that's all he said, dunno if that's deserving of a T or not...especially in the heat of a double OT game with 2 great teams, and it led to the mess.

If the ref pulls Rolfe aside and sets him straight, that's one thing, but to just nail a T in that situation, I dunno.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

This will be the last time I post on this subject! Dr.Know, U say you can't believe the kid was nailed with it and then u say u saw what he said. Well, what you said he said is false. I'm not on here to share anymore information on what that young man said, he knows what he said and I do too. I don't take pride in "T"ing people up but players/coaches need to play/coach the game and let officials officiate the game. Chicken Coop-I already said that we messed up the first 2 free throws. Again, we have to be 100% sure to take those points off the board. We weren't, neither was the official scorer at the table. So again we did what was right in that situation. Valley still had a chance to win the game even after that was over. Again, a tremendous basketball game played by both teams. I have talked to several people who had nothing to do with the game and said the game was very well officiated until the free throw situation. We were told that we were very consistent with our calls throughout the game.

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

The ref had missed or made a questionable call on the other end as Rolfe was going up for a shot. He called it on the floor, I couldn't tell. There were two kids around and one kid jumped on a pump fake, the other must have been reaching. The one that left his feet landed on Rolfe as he was trying to shoot. The crowd and the coach were on the official for making it a 1 and 1 instead of a shooting foul. The technical seemed like frustration more so by the ref than the player. I was closer to the Athens bench than the Valley bench so I'm not sure if Valley's coach said something.

I'm a Burg guy and don't have a dog in the fight, other than having close friends grandkids on Valley. I just hated seeing such a great game having officials play a major role. You can't pop a kid for that in such an intense game. I felt the crowd had the ref frustrated and he overreacted. I guess as a former official, it bothers me seeing that sort of thing.

And this doesn't take away from Athens because I think they are the better team and may have one the game without the fortunate break. This was hands down the best game I have watched all year and maybe the last 2 or 3 years.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:This will be the last time I post on this subject! Dr.Know, U say you can't believe the kid was nailed with it and then u say u saw what he said. Well, what you said he said is false. I'm not on here to share anymore information on what that young man said, he knows what he said and I do too. I don't take pride in "T"ing people up but players/coaches need to play/coach the game and let officials officiate the game. Chicken Coop-I already said that we messed up the first 2 free throws. Again, we have to be 100% sure to take those points off the board. We weren't, neither was the official scorer at the table. So again we did what was right in that situation. Valley still had a chance to win the game even after that was over. Again, a tremendous basketball game played by both teams. I have talked to several people who had nothing to do with the game and said the game was very well officiated until the free throw situation. We were told that we were very consistent with our calls throughout the game.
Right, and I said it was a tough situation for Valley, mistakes happen no doubt. I was referring more to Athens, the player who shot the shooting foul, and the coach KNEW he wasn't the one who got fouled, and went ahead with it anyways. I don't care what class you're in, you know if you got fouled on a layup attempt, and he went to the line knowing he wasn't supposed to....maybe they should watch the commercial where the kid says "coach I touched the ball" LOL.

Either way, great game, tough ending, time to move on!

Best of luck to Athens the rest of the way

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

I'm too old to Internet argue.

Great basketball game!

Return to “Boys Basketball”