Athens (13-3) at Warren (13-3) - CANCELLED

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens (11-3) at Warren (11-3) - Feb. 3rd - POLL

Post by 93Bulldog »

In 17 minutes it will be midnight ... which means in 17 minutes we'll be only 5 days away ...

make that 16 minutes ... lol

deerhunter
Waterboy

Post by deerhunter »

What about Feb. 2nd isn't that the day that p floyd comes out of his hole to see his shadow and make a prediction about the end of the world for either Warren or Athens. I think being stuck in my cabin I came down with basketball 30 fever and I'm loosing my mind. How about some predictions for both JV and Varsity

WARREN JV 60 ATHENS JV 44

WARREN VARSITY - ATHENS VARSITY
68 ---------------------- 64

Warren comes from 10 down at half time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Blue Sniper wrote:What about Feb. 2nd isn't that the day that p floyd comes out of his hole to see his shadow and make a prediction about the end of the world for either Warren or Athens...

... I've never predicted gloom or doom for either Warren or Athens should either win or lose this game ... Coach Skinner was very realistic about the seedings and the big games that both these schools have been playing this season ...coach told me that "you have to play & beat the best at some point in the post season, sectional, district, or regional ..." I interpret that as - seeding will take care of itself, you do the best to prepare your team for playing "the best" (thru your scheduling etc) ...if you have to play to the best in the sectional to get to the district - so be it ...

... a Warren or Athens loss on Monday does not spell dome for either TEAM , they both KNOW how good they are, how they stack up vs the rest of the teams in the sectional & district ... when it comes to the post season - the ONLY game that is important is the one you are playing, no matter who you are playing the #1,2,3 seed or the #7,8,9 seed ... you don't bring your "A" game someone else moves on ...that's why they call it the "one and done" season ...

... a loss by either Warren or Athens is just round #1 of a possible 2 round fight in the making (yep Logan Elm has a major say along with Sheridan et al ... as well as the D2 teams in the Southeastern Sectional) ...a loss Monday doesn't lessen how either TEAM stacks up vs the rest of the SE District D2 teams in my mind ... I view Athens, Warren & Logan Elm (in no particular order) as THE teams to beat in D2 in SEO ... that is not meant as a slap in the face to any other D2 teams (Unioto, Minford, Washington CH, Circleville, Miami Trace , Sheridan - all excellent teams) BUT Warren, Athens, Logan Elm are a cut above the others based on my own "eye tests" ... BUT being a "cut above" doesn't mean a team can't be beat - the post season is a different animal - it's one and done - one off night or one excellent night puts you out or keeps you rolling in the tourney ... THAT'S why I don't predict - the Ouija Board stays in the box for the post season ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:THAT'S why I don't predict - the Ouija Board stays in the box for the post season
I may have to break into Pfloyd manor and steal the Ouija board ... I'm dying to know what it says about Athens vs Warren.

:mrgreen:

deerhunter
Waterboy

Post by deerhunter »

Careful now bulldog you may find a vodoo doll in there wearing an Athens jersey with the number 93 on it. If you leave a hair behind he may be controlling your thoughts the rest of the year. Then you'll be posting winning scores for Warren . :lol:

The predicting is just for fun and killing time while we wait for THE GAME RD. 1. I would love to see an offensive explosion with the score being 99 to 97 who cares who wins round 1. :shock: :-D High school basketball is full of anticipation, excitement, dreams, teamwork, unselfish play and pure motivation. Not the stuff you see in the NBA and thats why I love high school and some college sports. When the tears roll that just means they put their hearts into the game and not because their fans are disappointed.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Oh RD 1 sure does count! Baring no further losses by either, the winner likely will get the Logan sectional #1 seed. If there is a round #2 it'll have to be for a district championship @ The Convo! I'm getting excited just typing the possibility. :)
Lots of ball to be played b4 that is even a possibility. Lots of great teams will def try to make sure that doesn't happen. Logan Elm, Sheridan, Vinton Co, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Minford and Unioto all will have a say as to who is 2014 SE DII District Champs will be. Warren/Athens as defending district champs, with all the major pieces returning are the favorites to get to that championship game. Saying that by no means questions the ability of the rest of the field.
So much riding on this matchup that will make it one remembered for years. Ask old 93Dog how vivid of a memory he has of Austin Cuningham beating his 19-1 Bulldogs! Love to hear that story sometime Dog! Lol

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

I tend to think like Blue Sniper on round one. Warren will learn from each and every game from now until tournament time. Hopefully the Warriors will actually peak when it counts the most. From the post I have seen on here , it is apparent that some Bulldog fans are obsessed with beating our Warriors. In all actuality they should be. It's been a decade long drought for Athens covering 13 games. Good Luck to Warren on Monday but especially come tournament time. GO BLUE !!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Johnny Quest wrote:it is apparent that some Bulldog fans are obsessed with beating our Warriors. In all actuality they should be. It's been a decade long drought for Athens covering 13 games.
Not really obsessed with beating the Warriors ...

I just want bragging rights over WarriorBlue for a little while ...

I don't think that is too much to ask for ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tonight on 'THE SPORTSFAN' on 970WATH and 970wath.com at 6:06 ... I will have WarriorBlue on for a little while, and then Athens head coach Jeff Skinner will be calling in.

It's never too early to talk about this match-up ... lol

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

[quote="WarriorBlue"] Ask old 93Dog how vivid of a memory he has of Austin Cuningham beating his 19-1 Bulldogs! Love to hear that story sometime Dog! Lol

Austin Cunningham didnt beat his bulldogs, the WARRIORS did!!! AC had alot to do with it, but he didnt do it by himself. even tho he made the winning bucket. JUST SAYIN.....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

You're right, he didn't beat the Bulldogs ... Everyone in Logan that night knows he traveled ... lol

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

WarriorBlue is right!! YOU DOOOOOO...... STILL REMEMBER!!! LOL

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

sportsfanallnitelong wrote:WarriorBlue is right!! YOU DOOOOOO...... STILL REMEMBER!!! LOL
It's all good ... 93Dog waited patiently and sat still before enacting his revenge ... then, without anyone noticing, he ran down and put a hex on the rim inside the Convo before A.C. missed 'the bunny' that would have tied the score versus Chillicothe ... Austin was a great player no doubt it - and I hated to do that to the youngster - but like the old book says ... "an-eye-for-an-eye."

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

I can't believe some weather forecasts are now starting to say there could be several inches of snow Sunday night into Monday in Southern Ohio! I can't even think about another postponement - or worse yet - cancellation!

Maybe Warren/Athens isn't meant to be played until the tournament - could you imagine the suspense/buildup if that were to happen?

Or if they didn't get to play at all this year - even tournament time. Oh my, we would have to wait until next year to finally get a chance to beat the Warriors. :(

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens 64, Vinton County 50

Ibi Watson - 17
Zacchia Saltzmen - 15
Ryan Luehrman - 14
Joe Burrow - 12

The Bulldogs 'TEAM' is ready for the Warriors Monday!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

In 40 minutes we'll be 1 day away from the showdown in Vincent!!!

And lucky for us we get a little gridiron action (and cool commercials) to help pass the time ... :-)

ROLL TRAIN ROLL

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Warriors try to hold serve tonight as Fairfeild Christian Academy invades the Warrior Dome. Warren hasn't played in a week so hoping the rust gets knocked off pretty quick. Warren will have to do a better job on Walsh signee Steven Carpenter. The 6'3" Sr torched the Warriors for 39 points back in December. Granted defensively Warren is much better than they were 6 weeks ago but anytime a talent like Carpenter is on the floor his team stands a chance to win.
Staying focused and not letting The Monday Matchup interfere with "taking care of business" getting a win tonight will be the job at hand for the Warriors.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

theplainsbulldog wrote:I can't believe some weather forecasts are now starting to say there could be several inches of snow Sunday night into Monday in Southern Ohio! I can't even think about another postponement - or worse yet - cancellation!

Maybe Warren/Athens isn't meant to be played until the tournament - could you imagine the suspense/buildup if that were to happen?

Or if they didn't get to play at all this year - even tournament time. Oh my, we would have to wait until next year to finally get a chance to beat the Warriors. :(
They are calling for mild temps and rain ...

I think we are a 'GO' for Monday!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BIGGER REASON TO WIN?

(a) To put themselves in better position for the #1 seed in Logan?
(b) To keep momentum as the season comes to a close.
(c) To end Warren's streak of wins (if you're Athens)
(d) To make a case for being ranked in the AP (if you're Warren)
(e) To possibly take over Pfloyd's No. 1 spot in his 'delayed' Elite 8 this week?

lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Saturday results from the Warrior Dome:

ATHENS GIRLS - 51
WARREN GIRLS - 45

'ONE DOWN - ONE TO GO!'

Return to “Boys Basketball”