DII LOGAN SECTIONAL RESULTS

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Re: DII LOGAN SECTIONAL RESULTS

Post by morgeen »

As someone without a dog in this fight, how does anyone have a beef with the AP 5th ranked team in the state - with a win over the 11th ranked team ( AT Athens) being picked as the #1 seed in their district? Is this district that strong that they should be a 3 seed as many of you people are saying? Wow.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

What teams voted warren 1 and what teams voted LE?

strokn7
Riding the Bench

Post by strokn7 »

Athens had a chance against Logan Elm. Warren should not have lost to Portsmouth and got blown out by Watterson. I agree the system is flawed but the justification of Logan Elm as a 1 seed is not.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

buckhunter740 wrote:As someone without a dog in this fight, how does anyone have a beef with the AP 5th ranked team in the state - with a win over the 11th ranked team ( AT Athens) being picked as the #1 seed in their district? Is this district that strong that they should be a 3 seed as many of you people are saying? Wow.
Because the AP poll is a joke.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

WarriorBlue wrote:What they could do is cross vote. Teams at Logan vote on the teams at Southeastern and vice versa That may help with the taking care of myself thing
No offense but that might be worse, because how many SE teams have seen Logan teams and vice versa? They will be voting more from perception than direct knowledge. And it also keeps the current bad and broken system in place. Time for the open draw, with opening up all the sectional sites to host the closest games to eliminate the travel crutch opponents of the open draw use.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

strokn7 wrote:Athens had a chance against Logan Elm. Warren should not have lost to Portsmouth and got blown out by Watterson. I agree the system is flawed but the justification of Logan Elm as a 1 seed is not.
Logan Elm probably loses handily to Watterson, as well. Athens had six or seven practices before its game with Logan Elm. Now, it still should give LE currency and shouldn't be discounted completely as some have seemed to push. I see that one more in the middle of the two more radical positions.
Last edited by bman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

My Ouija Board is in the trash now ... all the while a simple recipe was to be used :

Overall Record + a pinch of politics = Seeding position

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pfloyd, are you on board for the open draw?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:My Ouija Board is in the trash now ... all the while a simple recipe was to be used :

Overall Record + a pinch of politics = Seeding position.

I can see Athens dropping ASVSM & Propel and picking up 2 games versus 'southeast district' teams like WCH or Chillicothe ... If Logan Elm can beat CH by 30 and Circleville can beat CH - surely Athens could pick up a couple wins as well.

Going out and playing North Miami Fl, Bishop Eustace NJ, Shawnee NJ, Propel Pittsburg Penn, Akron SVSM was a complete waste ... schedule 'southeast district teams' and pick up wins is how it needs to be done ...

And I can guarantee Athens won't be scheduling a game against a very good opponent in early December again - that was a killer!!!!

All learning experiences I guess ... you learn from your mistakes ... hopefully Athens does learn and makes adjustments next year.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote: I can see Athens dropping ASVSM & Propel and picking up 2 games versus 'southeast district' teams like WCH or Chillicothe ... If Logan Elm can beat CH by 30 and Circleville can beat CH - surely Athens could pick up a couple wins as well.

Going out and playing North Miami Fl, Bishop Eustace NJ, Shawnee NJ, Propel Pittsburg Penn, Akron SVSM was a complete waste ... schedule 'southeast district teams' and pick up wins is how it needs to be done ...

And I can guarantee Athens won't be scheduling a game against a very good opponent in early December again - that was a killer!!!!

All learning experiences I guess ... you learn from your mistakes ... hopefully Athens does learn and makes adjustments next year.
Two of Warren's three best wins are SE District teams - Portsmouth and Valley.
Last edited by bman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strokn7
Riding the Bench

Post by strokn7 »

I would bet the house Logan Elm doesn't lose by 20 against Watterson. Look at Wattersons scores. THEY DONT BLOW TEAMS OUT. They are a great team and I have a ton of respect for them. However, that was a bad loss for Warren. Not the loss part, but the margin.

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Post by morgeen »

WarriorBlue wrote:
Huh? Last year all four division II teams that made it to the final 4 were ranked in the final AP top 11. Including your Warriors. Must only be a joke this year because Warren isnt ranked

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

buckhunter740 wrote:
WarriorBlue wrote:
Huh? Last year all four division II teams that made it to the final 4 were ranked in the final AP top 11. Including your Warriors. Must only be a joke this year because Warren isnt ranked
Athens is #11th
ASVSM is #12th

That's kind of funny seeing as ASVSM beat Athens.

The AP voting has ALWAYS been a joke ... voters up north know nothing about the teams down south and vice versa.

(I'm not referring to our voters here in SEO, bman ... I'm talking about the idea/process of it ... how does a guy in Sandusky know where Athens or Zane Trace or Valley should be ranked? That's what I'm talking about ... :mrgreen: ... )
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Everyone can give pretty valid arguments several different ways.....but it's all because the system is ridiculous and pretty much forces coaches to do what they do.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Ironman92 wrote:Everyone can give pretty valid arguments several different ways.....but it's all because the system is ridiculous and pretty much forces coaches to do what they do.
Bingo.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

buckhunter740 wrote:
WarriorBlue wrote:
Yea it was a joke last year too. Warren shoulda been ranked higher! They were Public School DII State Champs! :)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The silver lining in all of this is: once Athens beats WarriorBlue's Warren Warriors in Logan - it won't have to worry about seeing the best team in the district at the Convo!

:122246

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Dundas wrote:What teams voted warren 1 and what teams voted LE?
Anyone know? Or were we just speculating in earlier posts?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens, Meigs, Warren, Marietta voted for Warren.
VC, LE, Sheridan, New Lex and FFU voted for Logan Elm.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

93Bulldog wrote:Athens, Meigs, Warren, Marietta voted for Warren.
VC, LE, Sheridan, New Lex and FFU voted for Logan Elm.
Thanks dog. My prediction was correct with the exception of Fu and Meigs flip flopped. I'm sure Meigs voted Warren 1 so they didn't see them in the opening round. Is sheets back for Meigs?

Return to “Boys Basketball”