SVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Re: SVC PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Post by bballsvcfan »

Pfloyd, no doubt the kid has great numbers. 1st team numbers in fact! But, doesn't it discount what a Corcoran or Mowery are able to accomplish on the leagues best teams. I'm not sure we can call a player the POY on a team that only wins about 20% of their league games. Corcoran and Mowery played on well balanced teams and were still able to put up big numbers while leading their respective teams to wins.

You are the guru on southern ohio basketball, what are your thoughts on leading your team to wins? Does that not have to be considered when naming a POY? Especially within the conference that you play? To name a POY to one of the bottom teams in the league just seems to say it doesn't matter how your team does. Good discussion, just curious about your thought?

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

crashdavis188 wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Also, if Mowery or Corcoran win the award, will that be the first father-son combo to both take it home?

Didn't Scott and Evan Legg both win POY . Have to get conformation from eagles73
Yes both Scott Legg and Evan Legg won SVC Player of the Year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... you make good points for sure Pioneer5 ... Mowery AND Corcoran ARE legitimate calls for POY absolutely ... McCloy as you said plays for a team that stands at 8-13 on the season /playing in a league of D2/D3 juggernauts Unioto/Zane Trace/Southeastern/Piketon (that has PV 0-6 just being D4 vs these schools) ... M McCloy does HIS job (rebounding/scoring in the paint) better than anyone at that position in the league ... he is targeted in every game he plays as THE man to stop ... I would not disagree with the outcome of any voting for Mowery or Corcoran at all - don't get me wrong - sometimes there are more things to look at than "disregarding anyone on a lower tier team because of TEAM record" if PV did not have Mason McCloy on the floor/in the paint where would they be vs a ZT or Unioto without Mowery or Corcoran? imo both of those TEAMS have the supporting talent to STILL be contenders/winners ... as I said I am a sucker for any 6-5 kid who works his butt off doing the dirty work in the paint for TEAM, doing it BETTER than anyone else in the league at his position ... in today's world of basketball you have a kid who is 6-5 and could/should be an answer for TEAM in the paint BUT the kid wants to be a perimeter player ... a coach can't get him in the paint where he would help TEAM the most ... Mason McCloy not only thrives in the paint - hence the double double numbers - but he KNOWS that "in the paint" "crashing the boards" "out hustling opponents" IS where he can help TEAM ... Mason McCloy can play on my TEAM any day of the week as my first pick in a pickup game LOL ...

... Pioneer5 - nothing at all against a POY pick of either Mowery or Corcoran as they are definitely worthy of the award ... just don't overlook a equally deserving BIG because TEAM doesn't have the glowing record ...

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Floyd, unfortunately we live in an era of guard, and with the lax rules on palming and traveling I don't see that going away for some time! Bigs now are expected to help the guards defend the dribble penetration and rebound! lol

I agree with whomever comes out as the POY, but I like watching the big guys play the post.

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

Pfloyd, thanks for the feedback. I always like reading your views on various topics. Being an SVC guy, I tend to be somewhat biased on SVC basketball, so I enjoy reading your unbiased views on basketball in the district. No doubt about it, McCloy can be a beast in the paint, I tend to like the guards that can shoot the 3, dribble drive to the hoop, and play in your face defense all over the court. We can beat a dead horse about the POY whether it be McCloy, Mowery, Corcoran, Brewster, Shanks all who at times have had huge nights. Those 5 make a very good 1st team all SVC. I still think the POY should be Mowery or Corcoran based on team success. I think being a POY, you need to lead your team to some success in the league you participate in; not necessarily win the league but be a contender.

Changing gears a little bit, I like a lot of the young players in the league that are lesser known but really do have a big impact on their teams ability to perform well. What are your thoughts on some of the young guns the SVC has to offer?

newkidsontheblock
Waterboy

Post by newkidsontheblock »

The fact that Mcloy plays on a crappy team makes him more deserving IMO.. To put up those kind of numbers night after night, he came focused and ready to play! Its hard losing all the time and still going out and giving everything you got. Obviously this kid is a good ball player but this tells me he is a determined kid also...

My vote goes to Mcloy... I dont kow much about Corcoron but watching Mowery play, he can dominate a game when ever he decides too. but at times he takes a break , but with a good team they still win regardless.. Mcloy takes a break (obviously he doesnt) they lose by alot every game...

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

What is Mowery's height ?

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

Sorry for my mistake on Corcorans year...and Im not trying to take anything from him but when I have watched him he is purely a set shooter. You cant argue with the way Mowery shoots, drives, steals, etc...the kid is so far ahead of the game itself.

Maybe we can just not have a POY this year lol... we have 2 great teams at the top from 1st man to last man off the bench. You combine players from ZT and UHS and you have a State Final Four team at least. So much talent in this area.

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

when is the last time we considered a sophomore for POY?!

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

He is about 5' 10"

OUCcoach
Waterboy

Post by OUCcoach »

BillyHoyle42 wrote:I predict the coaches will do what they always do and hand out the awards to the SVC champs. I believe Corcoran and Hoops to take home the hardware.
I would definitely vote Brabson as COY. He stepped in and took over mid summer, has made several lineup changes due to lost players, and still made a good run. I believe if he had his full lineup, then things COULDVE been different. Nothing against Hoops or Alley...they both has had amazing teams and athletes and did phenomenal jobs.
Curious, does anyone know who the last COY was that didn't win the league?
1998-99 . SE won league. Easterday and that good lookin' Uhrig were co-COY. :mrgreen:

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

No more debate or questions. Nick Corcoran from Unioto has been named POY. Congratulations to Nick!! :12222

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

I think the league needs to take a good hard look at the way it votes....POY/COY all awards.

Just because a team wins the league doesnt mean their top point producer and coach should win league honors..and thats the way its been for awhile.

Anybody that has watched any SVC basketball knows that Corcoran isnt the best player in the league. He may not even be the best player on his team.

Is he one of the biggest offensive shooting threats in the league? Of course. Does he have a great shot, a good basketball mind and carries himself well on the floor? yes. Id take Nick on my team anyday.

But you cant tell me that Nick is better than Mowery....no way. Im not sure if hes better than McCloy, Shanks, Brewster...

And I will tell you one thing for sure...Hoops is NOT even close to being the best coach in the SVC. He has had A+ talent since he started at UHS and has what? one outright SVC championship? The team he has this year should have run the table...I bet they dont even make it out of sectionals. Give me a team that has 10 guys who can legitimately play like they have this year and I would run people out of the gym. Overly is going to be a tremendous talent (most underrated kid in the league), Strange hustles and penetrates as well as anyone, Hosley is a man, Corcoran can shoot lights out, Cottrill and the other kid about the same height off the bench can come in and light you up, they have a 6'7 kid if needed, Cozad can play, Lovely can play.....they SHOULD have won the league with no losses, the SHOULD run to the Regionals...but they wont

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I believe Hoops deserved coach of the year due to the fact that he was able to manage all that talent at the U. Congrats to Both Hoops and Nick. Coaches vote how else would you choose a POY? Maybe we can let the fans vote like American Idol.lol $1.00 a vote.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Not sure one can evaluate a player's value if you don't know that player's grade. If Nick Corcoran wasn't a complete player, then he wouldn't have been votes POY. There were 5 players who it could be argued were the most valuable player and the coaches deemed Nick as the #1. The fact I know how the voting panned out makes me smile more at your post.

Hopefully some school is able pick you up next season since you have the knowledge to outcoach Hoops every time out. It's easy to coach behind a keyboard. And you obviously don't value player development, since Corcoran was only a shooter for the most part last year (look at that, a role!) and is now an all around player or Cole Cottrill/Nick Overly, who's development over the past year has been amazing...but coaching has nothing to do with that lol (obviously their outside work ethic has been huge as well, great kids) and even if it's just for managing talent, Hoops should be the choice. Lots of talent can splinter with egos, but he was able to have Strange slip into a different role this year to better help the team, as well as having a kid like Alek Adkins take a 6th man role on and excelling at it. Cozad, True, and Lovely were all in more specialized roles, but never hung their heads and each made a major contribution in a league win.

I am 100% fine with other opinions, like bengalfan suggesting Brabson for the way he kept that team together and in the race for a while, or how Todd Kellough/Jason Smith seem to always have their teams in a position to win night in, night out. Bryan Alley and Jeran Cox do a great job and the fact that Trevor Yonkin got the Mustangs playing so well late says a lot for he can do for that program. And we can't forget Dave Shoemaker, who really has a limited roster and has had them competing very well every night. It's a very good coaching league and it would be cool if people appreciated it, but that won't happen because of past, personal grudges.

And go watch some D2 basketball, you'll see how talented this area is. It will take a great effort to beat a very good Minford team.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

MRI13 wrote:I think the league needs to take a good hard look at the way it votes....POY/COY all awards.

Just because a team wins the league doesnt mean their top point producer and coach should win league honors..and thats the way its been for awhile.

Anybody that has watched any SVC basketball knows that Corcoran isnt the best player in the league. He may not even be the best player on his team.

Is he one of the biggest offensive shooting threats in the league? Of course. Does he have a great shot, a good basketball mind and carries himself well on the floor? yes. Id take Nick on my team anyday.

But you cant tell me that Nick is better than Mowery....no way. Im not sure if hes better than McCloy, Shanks, Brewster...

And I will tell you one thing for sure...Hoops is NOT even close to being the best coach in the SVC. He has had A+ talent since he started at UHS and has what? one outright SVC championship? The team he has this year should have run the table...I bet they dont even make it out of sectionals. Give me a team that has 10 guys who can legitimately play like they have this year and I would run people out of the gym. Overly is going to be a tremendous talent (most underrated kid in the league), Strange hustles and penetrates as well as anyone, Hosley is a man, Corcoran can shoot lights out, Cottrill and the other kid about the same height off the bench can come in and light you up, they have a 6'7 kid if needed, Cozad can play, Lovely can play.....they SHOULD have won the league with no losses, the SHOULD run to the Regionals...but they wont
So Mowery should've been player of the year, but Unioto has all of this talent and should've won the gold ball in the SVC? Your argument doesn't add up. Mowery is a pretty good player, but there are also some other fine talents, as you pointed out, in the conference.

Coach Hoops is a pretty good coach. I was impressed with how he went about things from watching him for a couple of years at Westfall, a football school, when he started his head coaching career. Unioto has some good talent, but I can name off four or five teams easy that have more in D2. You may want to go watch some of these sectional title games.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

If you look around at most other leagues, they also typically vote the best player of the league champ as their POY and that teams coach as COY. Is it always right, maybe not, but it is an argument that is easily defended for both.

As far as saying Unioto should run on to the regionals shows how little you know about D2 basketball. Have you looked at the bracket? They will have to beat Minford and either Logan Elm or Sheridan. Can they do that? Quite possibly, but if they don't, there is no shame is losing to any of those teams.

Grace22
Freshman Team

Post by Grace22 »

MRI13 wrote:I think the league needs to take a good hard look at the way it votes....POY/COY all awards.

Oh the taste of sour grapes! :lol:

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

Theres no sour grapes with me. I have no affiliation with any school, but I watch a lot of high school basketball...

It sounds more like to me that people with affiliations are upset with my opinions...and thats fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyone sees the game differently.

My post got off on a rant, but the fact is this....you have to pick one player from the SVC to put on your team...who do you take?

I have no personal issue with Hoops...but I know parents of kids who played for him, and I also know how much talent this team has. Every coach has a great job to do, take time away from their families, etc and I respect that.

Minford has a great team, as well as LE....but LE has a great starting 5...and then they fall off, they dont have a bench like Unioto...so why should they lose? Because Stiverson always has a great team?

@bman: yes, just what I said UHS has tons of talent, they could field a starting 5 for another SVC team off their bench honestly. So how does one player garner honors more than another?

@danicalif: you dont know my history, where I have coached or where I havent, what success I had as a player myself. I never mentioned player development in a negative way...I actually gave praise to each player ...and in high school and before a lot of that success is personal, a lot of time put in my a dad or a mentor...but I dont know when the last time I seen a team in the SVC have 8-10 guys who can put up 10-15 pts night in and night out...why shouldnt they have success?

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

SVC stats:

Scoring:
Mowery 2nd 17.3
Corcoran 6th 16.8

Rebounding:
Both Tied for 13th at 5.7

Assists:
Mowery 4th 3.7
Corcoran not listed in top 15

FT %:
Mowery 2nd 84.0
Corcoran 9th 76.4

FG%:
Mowery 10th 48.0

3 point FG's made:
Corcoran 1st (55)
Mowery 5th (40)

Steals per game:
Mowery 1st 2.7
Corcoran 8th 1.6

Blocks per game:
Mowery 2nd 1.2

Stats don't translate in to votes! Both very good players as well as the other 1st team guys; but looking at production of the players in the league it would appear that Mowery had the better stats when you add it all up. I can't answer why the votes broke down the way they did, as I hear at least a couple coaches didn't vote for either Corcoran or Mowery, they voted for McCloy (Paint Valley). I'm baised in my opinion of who should have won, but my opinion doesn't matter. It just seems strange to compare the two players and come away with the thought that Mowery didn't at least deserve a share of the POY award. It's all good, take a look at the 1st team All SVC, we get to have this whole debate again next season since they all return for another season. It's also quite possible that 4 or 5 teams will have one of their other players step up next season to become part of this discussion. Could get real interesting in SVC basketball over the next 2 years!

Return to “Boys Basketball”