Warren vs Circleville at the Convo

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Warren vs Circleville at the Convo

Post by Schnellfritz »

Let's start a thread....Any thoughts? Has Warren ever played Circleville?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Warren vs Circleville at the Convo

Post by pfloyd »

... hmmmmmmmm Circleville lost twice this season to Logan Elm ... 51-65 in game #1 and 49-67 in #2 hmmmmmmmmm interesting ...

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Circleville season losses have come against quality opponents , but the margin seems to be pretty wide. As long as Warren plays with intensity, controls the boards,and minimizes turnovers they should advance. Coach Maddox and his staff are like mechanics that tune the Machine that is Warrior Basketball. Survive and advance Blue!

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

I don't think Warren and Circleville have ever played each other in basketball.....But, I think Circleville will get to watch the remaining games from the cheap seats.....Just saying....LOL

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Just looked up their schedule and results, if MaxPreps is correct they also have a 19 point loss to Athens on their resume.....

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Athens was up by 35 at one time, only mass substitutions allowed it to be that close.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Warren wins, Circleville looked bad in the Athens game. 30pt blowout at Athens but never know for the tournament

davegrohlfan06
Waterboy

Post by davegrohlfan06 »

Although Circleville might not have the offensive power near to what Warren does, don't sleep on the Tigers in this one. Coach Goodyear has been a long time assistant under Tom Petty at BC who has coached in more meaningful games in his career than any coach in this D-2 district combined. I don't think they will win, but they are playing much better as of late. I still say Warren by at least 15.
Last edited by davegrohlfan06 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Circleville's program is going in the right direction, going from 7-16 a season ago to 17-6 this season. Coach Goodyear and his staff are doing a nice job. Circleville definitely has an uphill climb against a very solid Warren team.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Anyone have a roster for Circleville?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... this is what I have from my napkin stats for 3 games ...

#3 Michael Camp (6-3)
#4 David Burroughs (5-9)
#13 Will Giffin (6-3)
#21 Reed Hugus (6-4)
#22 Kyle Smith (5-9)

#23 Justin Hill (6-1) ... he started the first game vs LE but not game 2
#33 Tanner Styers (5-11)
#34 ???? Shaw ... not sure where he came from ... did not play in game 1 vs LE ... wide body maybe 6-1

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Coach Goodyear has Circleville playing solid basketball of late. Saturdays win over Courthouse plus a narrow loss by four to Bloom Carrol yesterday and the Tigers are geared for a Convo battle with the Warriors. Circleville will try to set the pace with their deliberate offense and stingy defense. I believe the Warriors win this one with their bench.

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

ttt

warriornation
Riding the Bench

Post by warriornation »

IMO, way to much size, speed and athleticisim for the Tigers to handle. Warren is playing their best ball of the season at the right time again. Coach Maddox has set them up for sucess by challenging his team early in the season and they are reaping the rewards now. French, Hall and Patton will be difficult to handle. You may be able to shut one down but the other two are going to kill ya. I think Patton will have a big night. He's been off in the last few games but is due to have a great game. The defensive pressure will be sufficating from Hall, Maz and Kidder out front in the 1-2-2 press. I look for Warren to win this big, getting a ton of points off of turnovers and offensive putbacks.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... imo the Warriors have too many weapons that play at a level ABOVE where the Tigers are right now in their player development - you look at the Circleville roster and there are no Evan French/Reece Patton/Mike Hall or Andrew Drayer type of players ... French/Patton/Hall can put an opponent away in a quarters worth of play (ie French vs Athens 2nd quarter/ 22 points) ... CHS does not have that type of player ... Coach Maddox's Warriors are as quick or quicker than the Tigers on the perimeter with Andrew Henthorn able to harass anyone on the floor defensively ... bench - Warren , marquee players - Warren ... a poster brought up Coach Goodyear having coached in/ or alongside Coach Petty of BC in MORE meaningful games than any D2 coach in SEOhio? sorry my money is on a proven head coach who is worth 10 points per game just being court side - Coach Maddox ...

... should be a good game but the Warren Blue show their experience/basketball maturity/level of talent to survive and advance ...

davegrohlfan06
Waterboy

Post by davegrohlfan06 »

pfloyd-

I did state that Coach Goodyear has been along side Coach Petty, who has coached in a lot of meaningful tournament games (District and Regional) over the course of his career. With that, his ability to prepare his team for a group of this caliber might give them a little edge as far as being able to stay in the game.

However, my prediction mirrors yours! Circleville doesn't have a player on the roster with the ability of Hall, French, or Patton. I was simply recognizing Joe for his duties as an assistant helping prepare BC for big time tourney games and big time players. My prediction is still Warren by 15+.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Warren 70 Circleville 53

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

Post by Myra Fleener »

I completely disagree with Warren having a +10 advantage due to coaching. Coach Maddox and Coach Goodyear both do a great job with their players. Coach Goodyear was WAY more than just an assistant coach on the sideline with Coach Petty. The players viewed them more as co-coaches. The difference in the game will be Warren having better basketball players on the court. I think it's close for a while, but Warren will pull away in the 4th. I WOULD NOT be surprised if Circleville hangs around a little longer though!!

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Circleville's best chance is for Warren to come in flat. I don't expect it to happen, but you never know how high school kids will play the game after a massive win.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

The Warriors have had 2 stretches of tough tourney like games this season. In December Warren had a stretch of games where they played Portsmouth, Fort Frye, FCA, Valley, Watterson and Wheeling Park. They went 3-3 during this run of 6 games. In late January they had another tuff stretch where they played Hartley, Portsmouth, FCA and Fort Frye. They went 4-0. Looking past Circleville won't be an issue for the Warriors. With last seasons trip to the Final 4 and this seasons schedule Warren is prepared to take one game at a time. Giving each team full focus and attention.

Return to “Boys Basketball”