Logan Elm vs. Warren - D2 district championship

bman
SEO

Re: Logan Elm vs. Warren - D2 district championship

Post by bman »

It's understandable Logan Elm fans should've been a little annoyed at some of the comments during the whole seeding debate, but we're past that and let's focus on an outstanding basketball game by Logan Elm.

Fantastic defensive effort against Warren's big three. Got some turnovers and some transition buckets to dig out of an early hole, and the Braves got a nice lead going into halftime with some nice three-point shooting. The Logan Elm TEAM really shined in this game, especially with Trent Congrove and Waylon Artrip having probably the best game of their careers. Casey Tyler really battled inside for some boards and some points; Ridge Young does a nice job defensively and helping to handle the ball and then Dillon Young, who is one of the top players in our district, regardless of division, having a very good all-around game. When Logan Thompson went out, I felt LE might be in trouble some, but very pleased to be proven wrong. Nice to see the whole TEAM step up to defeat an outstanding opponent. I hope our fellow district members will jump on board as the Braves represent the Southeast against defending state champion Bishop Watterson.

Congrats to Warren on a very good season. Warrior fans have a lot to be pride of.

It was also nice to see pfloyd and 93Dog in the house. 93Dog didn't go watch his TVC Eastern girls basketball team in Pickerington tonight to instead watch Logan Elm and Warren tangle. I believe that says something about the respect he has for both Logan Elm and Warren, even though we may have disagreed during the whole seeding debate. :122249

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Seeding is one thing bman ... you wanna really see me get fired up - the whole private school/public school thing always gets under my skin ... so to know the REEDSVILLE EASTERN girls beat Newark Catholic tonight, well, lets just say I'm a pretty happy camper ... lol

One thing I think people need to understand here. I watched Athens and Logan Elm battle four 4 quarters and I really thought Athens should have won. They were leading late, then the Braves ended up winning by one 60-59. That's the ONLY GAME I seen of Logan Elm. Fast forward to Athens/Warren ... I watched the Warriors absolutely run rough shot over the Bulldogs 73-47... Now how the hell can I be sooooo in the wrong for thinking Warren would win this match-up? For thinking Warren was the best team in the district? Anyone who watched Athens/Logan Elm and Athens/Warren would have thought the exact same way I did.

newkidsontheblock
Waterboy

Post by newkidsontheblock »

Ive seen Warren and Athens play twice each. Seen LE play on several ocassions. IMO LE beats Warren 10 out of 10 times.... On the other hand I think Athens beats LE 6 out of 10...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The last time I saw Warren and Athens was last season's district tournament before I saw Warren against Circleville. Folks in Athens and Warren get to see LE rarely. We were all passionately speaking out of ignorance a bit, to be honest.

Now hopefully Logan Elm can copy Eastern's example and get a win over the big private school.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

93Bulldog wrote:It suprises me they would 'peak' too soon seeing as they have been (and know how) to get to the final 4
Talked about this on the way home. It is difficult to account for the emotional toll things can take on high school kids. Warren was never an overly emotional team on the court, but they were really fired up for Athens. Could it have been kind of difficult to match that intensity again? And could all the big games have had the opposite effect as what you might hope? For example, they've won a District and a Regional and been in the State Tournament. This year they played some big games during the regular season (won some/lost some). So, is there a point to where it is difficult to differentiate between a "big" game and "just another game" when you've played a lot of "big" games? They just seemed flat emotionally the last two games and it wasn't at all like they played most of the season.

On the other hand, Logan Elm could have very well felt they had a lot to prove with all the perceived disrespect toward their seed and their POY candidate. I don't think anyone took them lightly and despite some opinions that Warren deserved the #1 seed, I don't think anyone ever thought Logan Elm was some pushover. But if I was Logan Elm, I certainly would've used that perception if necessary. The two teams were clearly on different planes from an emotional standpoint and these are maybe some reasons why (not facts, just an opinion).

Aside from that, Logan Elm exploited some of Warren's flaws in a way that sooner or later a really good team was going to do. Warren has been turnover prone all season, but in many cases they could compensate in so many other ways. Those other advantages that Warren has had over most of their other opponents were either negated tonight or just not nearly enough to cover some of the shortcomings. In several games this year, Warren had quite a bit of turnovers but their defense could get the ball right back, so eventually they'd just outrun or outshoot their way to a win. Or if they weren't shooting particularly great, they'd pound the boards and win on second chance points. Tonight, the defense didn't create the opportunities, the shots weren't falling, and they didn't maximize the second chances. Much of that can be attributed to the simple fact that Logan Elm is just a very good team in so many aspects of the game.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Spartan wrote:Go ahead and gloat. You have earned it. Congratulations and best of luck in the regionals. Athens fans were there tonight and all of them that I spoke with wanted you to win. We all left with smile on our faces.
People can root for whoever they want, but I don't understand why Athens would be overly happy about a Warren loss. If Athens had whipped Warren the way Warren whipped Athens, I would have wanted Athens to go as far as possible for the small consolation of knowing that they lost badly to a great team.

With this Warren loss, Athens' season boils down to this:
- Lost the one matchup they had circled for a year
- Raised the bar on their regular season schedule as a way to prepare for a long tourney run, only to come away with absolutely nothing
- Got hammered by a team who in turn looked like a district patsy

Where on the spectrum of success does all that put Athens?

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

93Bulldog wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:I just hope the people who talked down LE's accomplishments all year will give them their due now. If not, it's understandable, but it is nice to be able to go back through old threads from time to time.
I have no problems giving them credit - or admitting I was wrong. Everyone wanted to jump all over old threads and bring them to the top - and post all sorts of 'I told you so's - before I even had a chance to post about the game.

Logan Elm played great. To me, they were the quicker team - and speed kills. They were super efficient (barely any turnovers at all) and played great defense all night long.

On the flip side, Warren didn't look anything like the team I watched play Athens, or Fairland at the beasts of the southeast, or even Circleville the other night. It's almost like they felt they could just show up and beat Logan Elm. Once they got behind, things just steamrolled downhill for them.

So you are now on the same level as all the guys on ESPN? That is my point, I would like to know what qualifies you to be able to predict and analyze the games.

And if you are comparing yourself to herbie, he has to stay unbiased when calling osu games. Guess you need to learn that too.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Just enjoy it. Wow. And for the rest of you analysts, having a firm grasp of the English language still doesn't make you look like you know jack. You are speaking after the fact with all of your overwhelming knowledge.

Enjoy it,

Good luck!,,

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Post by morgeen »

Enigmaax- I don't know who Spartan talks to, but my wife's uncle is one of them athens old timers that still goes to every game and I know he wasn't gloating. He thought the same as you about their season. He told me that this was the best group of athletes at the school since the 60s, but said they wouldn't even make it to the convo once he got to see them play a few times. Both warren and LE beat athens this year, So I don't know how this game would make them feel better about their season no matter who won. Congrats to Warren for a good season, will be pulling for LE the rest of the way.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

CavsFan08 wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:I just hope the people who talked down LE's accomplishments all year will give them their due now. If not, it's understandable, but it is nice to be able to go back through old threads from time to time.
I have no problems giving them credit - or admitting I was wrong. Everyone wanted to jump all over old threads and bring them to the top - and post all sorts of 'I told you so's - before I even had a chance to post about the game.

Logan Elm played great. To me, they were the quicker team - and speed kills. They were super efficient (barely any turnovers at all) and played great defense all night long.

On the flip side, Warren didn't look anything like the team I watched play Athens, or Fairland at the beasts of the southeast, or even Circleville the other night. It's almost like they felt they could just show up and beat Logan Elm. Once they got behind, things just steamrolled downhill for them.

So you are now on the same level as all the guys on ESPN? That is my point, I would like to know what qualifies you to be able to predict and analyze the games.

And if you are comparing yourself to herbie, he has to stay unbiased when calling osu games. Guess you need to learn that too.
93Bulldog gives credit where credit is due. Yes, the Athens radio broadcast is pro-Athens, and that's not shocking because most small town radio has a degree of pro-homerism. I've read 93Bulldog's analysis here and listened on the radio, and it's pretty good. Yes, he bleeds Green and Gold, but we'll forgive him for that. :122249

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

CavsFan08 wrote:So you are now on the same level as all the guys on ESPN? That is my point, I would like to know what qualifies you to be able to predict and analyze the games.

I never said I was on the same level as anyone. You have a mic in your hand, you're suppose to call it like you see it and sometimes you get it right, sometimes you get it wrong. That's just how it is.

Had you seen Athens and Logan Elm play a game that went down to the wire, and then was decided by 1-point ... only to come back and watch Athens lose to Warren by 25 ... you probably would have drawn the same conclusion.

As far as qualified: I'm no expert, genius or professional broadcaster CavsFan08. I was a player and I've watched southeast district basketball going on 25 years now. Having lived in Athens most of my life and attended almost every district tournament at the Convo, I'd say I've watched about as much basketball at The Roundhouse on Richland as anyone the last 20 years. Does that qualify me? I have no clue. But given the fact you make peanuts to call a game - and there is really not a lot of people/options who want to do it - we don't have many choices at the station.

I suggest the next time Athens plays Warren - tune into 100.9 if you don't want the 'Athens perspective' ... they do a good job over their and they, like all small town radio stations, will give you 'their teams' perspective.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Considering it is primarily Athens advertising dollars that pay the bills for the broadcasts, a little hometown spin would be expected. It is a lot different than a national broadcast.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

enigmaax wrote:Considering it is primarily Athens advertising dollars that pay the bills for the broadcasts, a little hometown spin would be expected. It is a lot different than a national broadcast.
Agreed. You'll find a lot more "homerism" at other stations.

With that said...I believe Coach Combs got it right :)

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Dundas wrote:
enigmaax wrote:Considering it is primarily Athens advertising dollars that pay the bills for the broadcasts, a little hometown spin would be expected. It is a lot different than a national broadcast.

Coach Combs looks like a genius right now. :122245 :122245

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

bman wrote:
Dundas wrote:

Coach Combs looks like a genius right now. :122245 :122245
Maybe those "Glouster refs" kept Athens in the game against LE early in the season? And maybe the playoffs in football kept LE from being sharp in that early season tilt? And maybe that supposed "conversation with the assistant coach" that those refs had with LE's asst coach was not a friendly one? A lot of questions come out of the result of this game. So I want to be the first to thank the "Glouster refs" for keeping Athens in the game against LE, cause LE is clearly the best team in the district. :mrgreen:

davegrohlfan06
Waterboy

Post by davegrohlfan06 »

Just watched the re-run on Circleville's CGTV 5 television station.

This was a prime example of a group of kids believing that they could win no matter the circumstances and this is NOT surprising of a Doug Stiverson coached team. Even without Thompson, (16.1 ppg) the LE faithful knew the Braves were playing with some type of weight on their shoulder, but Elm never seemed to let that bother them. Say what you want about strength of schedule and who plays who and when, but tonight it came down to who wanted it more at that given moment and from watching this game again, LE proved that without a doubt. (Getting tough rebounds, steals, and FT shooting down the stretch)

Congrats to LE, keep proving the nay-sayers wrong fellas! Your fans support you
Also- Congrats to Warren and their seniors on a great career. It will be tough to replace the likes of French, Patton, and Drayer.

xnd1fan
Waterboy

Post by xnd1fan »

Congrats to LE. Was glad to see the Artrip boy come in when Thompson got hurt and step up. That was huge. Hope Thompson can return on Thursday. Glad that LE did there talking on the court and backed up their #1 seed. Good luck to the Braves!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”