Varsity

Re: Logan Elm vs. Warren - D2 district championship

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Anyone have details of the game?

Native Warrior
Freshman Team

Post by Native Warrior »

Congrats Warren on another outstanding season , best wishes seniors in all of your endeavors. Good luck Logan Elm.

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Post by morgeen »

gecko wrote:Congrats to Coach Stiverson and Coach Holbert. Logan Elm 61 Warren 45
Looks like Logan Elm being the #1 Seed was legit. Tomcat fan here but when everyone was on here crying that Warren or Athens should have been the #1 seed even though they had a better record was crazy. But at least we found out tonight on the court who the real #1 seed was.
Its always nice when you get to play it out on the court or field to end the discussion.
Bingo! Other than getting the 8/9 teams backwards, the seeding was PERFECT. Not one upset. Remember at the time of the seeding LE was ranked #5 in the STATE and people like 93Bulldog and WarriorBlue wanted them to be the 3 seed. Proof was in the play on the court - Warren vastly superior to Dogs, LE clearly better than Warriors. Waiting to see how the "experts" spin this.

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

LoganElm_grad09 wrote:Anyone have details of the game?
LE started out very slow and shot very poorly early in the first, but the defense kept it close. Once they started hitting their shots, they slowly pulled away. Logan Thompson broke his nose in the second quarter, did not return and LE played with the same 5 the rest of the game and Waylon Artrip lit up the threes and played a heck of a game to help LE cruise to the district title.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

buckhunter740 wrote:
gecko wrote:Congrats to Coach Stiverson and Coach Holbert. Logan Elm 61 Warren 45
Looks like Logan Elm being the #1 Seed was legit. Tomcat fan here but when everyone was on here crying that Warren or Athens should have been the #1 seed even though they had a better record was crazy. But at least we found out tonight on the court who the real #1 seed was.
Its always nice when you get to play it out on the court or field to end the discussion.
Bingo! Other than getting the 8/9 teams backwards, the seeding was PERFECT. Not one upset. Remember at the time of the seeding LE was ranked #5 in the STATE and people like 93Bulldog and WarriorBlue wanted them to be the 3 seed. Proof was in the play on the court - Warren vastly superior to Dogs, LE clearly better than Warriors. Waiting to see how the "experts" spin this.
But they didn't play ASVSM or Watterson! Haha.. Just playing 93dog

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats to the Braves

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

buckhunter740 wrote:Remember at the time of the seeding LE was ranked #5 in the STATE and people like 93Bulldog and WarriorBlue wanted them to be the 3 seed. Proof was in the play on the court - Warren vastly superior to Dogs, LE clearly better than Warriors. Waiting to see how the "experts" spin this.
I NEVER said Logan Elm should be the No. 3. I said Warren should have been the 1.

Tonight was not the first time I have seen a smaller, quicker team beat a team (many believed to be favored) at the Convo.

"Warren vastly superior to Dogs, LE clearly better than Warriors." .... funny how Athens was up on LE for most of the game before losing by 1 point ... 2+2 doesn't equal 4 when comparing opponents.

Its all about match-ups ... the speed and quickness of LE was not a good match-up for Warren tonight ... especially on the big Convo floor ... the Braves used their quickness, ball handling skills, passing and floor spacing to make it extremely hard on Warren.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

How much bigger is Ohio's floor than a high school? I've always wondered this.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Its a 94ft court ... I believe most high school gyms are 84ft.

The space between the 3-point line in the corner - to the out of bounds line - is wider as well ... I don't know standard width for high school gyms, but you can clearly tell there is more room at the Convo in the corners - which means its wider.

CavsFan08
JV Team

Post by CavsFan08 »

93Bulldog wrote:
buckhunter740 wrote:Remember at the time of the seeding LE was ranked #5 in the STATE and people like 93Bulldog and WarriorBlue wanted them to be the 3 seed. Proof was in the play on the court - Warren vastly superior to Dogs, LE clearly better than Warriors. Waiting to see how the "experts" spin this.
I NEVER said Logan Elm should be the No. 3. I said Warren should have been the 1.

Tonight was not the first time I have seen a smaller, quicker team beat a team (many believed to be favored) at the Convo.

"Warren vastly superior to Dogs, LE clearly better than Warriors." .... funny how Athens was up on LE for most of the game before losing by 1 point ... 2+2 doesn't equal 4 when comparing opponents.

Its all about match-ups ... the speed and quickness of LE was not a good match-up for Warren tonight ... especially on the big Convo floor ... the Braves used their quickness, ball handling skills, passing and floor spacing to make it extremely hard on Warren.

93, no way you should be trying to dig your way out of comments you have made. Such as what you were saying on the radio the 2nd half of the athens/warren game. You were so sure that night it didn't matter what matchup presented to warren they were clearly the best team in the district. You rode skinners rants about it after the meeting. At least athens beat warren in football the past 2 seasons as you pointed out so immaturely.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If you couldn't tell we were laughing and joking around when the football remark was made - then I'm curious if you have a sense of humor.

It's high school basketball CavsFan08 ... relax a little.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

CavsFan08 wrote:93, no way you should be trying to dig your way out of comments you have made. Such as what you were saying on the radio the 2nd half of the athens/warren game. You were so sure that night it didn't matter what matchup presented to warren they were clearly the best team in the district.
Anyone have kirk Herbstreit's e-mail? He said countless times Alabama was without a doubt the best team in college football - until they lost to Auburn of course.

Actually, I need the e-mail of every TV or radio guy who make remarks about who they think is the best team - in whatever sport they are covering.

I want to make sure they are aware that they need to 'dig their way out of their comments'.

8)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Wow, I knew the Braves had a great shot tonight, but didn't expect a pretty easy win...especially without Logan Thompson for most of the evening. I imagine that Congrove and Artrip don't combine for 20+ points often, but they stepped it up big time with Thompson hurt.

Congrats to the Warrior seniors on some great careers!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I just hope the people who talked down LE's accomplishments all year will give them their due now. If not, it's understandable, but it is nice to be able to go back through old threads from time to time.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Go ahead and gloat. You have earned it. Congratulations and best of luck in the regionals. Athens fans were there tonight and all of them that I spoke with wanted you to win. We all left with smile on our faces.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

danicalifornia wrote:I just hope the people who talked down LE's accomplishments all year will give them their due now. If not, it's understandable, but it is nice to be able to go back through old threads from time to time.
I have no problems giving them credit - or admitting I was wrong. Everyone wanted to jump all over old threads and bring them to the top - and post all sorts of 'I told you so's - before I even had a chance to post about the game.

Logan Elm played great. To me, they were the quicker team - and speed kills. They were super efficient (barely any turnovers at all) and played great defense all night long.

On the flip side, Warren didn't look anything like the team I watched play Athens, or Fairland at the beasts of the southeast, or even Circleville the other night. It's almost like they felt they could just show up and beat Logan Elm. Once they got behind, things just steamrolled downhill for them.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:I just hope the people who talked down LE's accomplishments all year will give them their due now. If not, it's understandable, but it is nice to be able to go back through old threads from time to time.
I have no problems giving them credit - or admitting I was wrong. Everyone wanted to jump all over old threads and bring them to the top - and post all sorts of 'I told you so's - before I even had a chance to post about the game.

Logan Elm played great. To me, they were the quicker team - and speed kills. They were super efficient (barely any turnovers at all) and played great defense all night long.

On the flip side, Warren didn't look anything like the team I watched play Athens, or Fairland at the beasts of the southeast, or even Circleville the other night. It's almost like they felt they could just show up and beat Logan Elm. Once they got behind, things just steamrolled downhill for them.
They really did look lazy at times, which surprised me, especially in a game of that magnitude. The supporting cast didn't really do much tonight and I was surprised that they never came alive, even after the nasty alley oop (great play design and execution!)

I think the Warriors peaked in the Athens game and just never really got things going again, which started with the Circleville game. It still was a great season.

newkidsontheblock
Waterboy

Post by newkidsontheblock »

The "unofficial" player of the year was also settled tonight! Young just so much smoother in all facets of the game. Going coast to coast being "trapped" all the way up the court and getting the & 1 was just.... WOW....

not to mention the several times he broke #25's ankles and mid court...

Seemed #25 had his hands on his hips breathing hard in the 1st qrt.....

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It suprises me they would 'peak' too soon seeing as they have been (and know how) to get to the final 4 ... but last year they had a true center in Dylan Leffingwell and a true PG in Evan Yabs ... Nobody mans the paint for the Warriors and controls the middle - they just use their size to slash to the basket ... and they struggled a little bit bringing the ball up the court versus a quick LE defense.

I said way earlier when Athens was going to play Warren in the regular season that I thought the losses of Yabs and Leffingwell would hurt - but it didn't versus Athens cause Evan French went off and scored 30+ points ... but against LE tonight, I think not having two players like that really hurt them.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… Congratulations to Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert & the Braves … some of the napkin stats I posted on another thread included :

LE held WHS to under double digits in the first 3 quarters (9 each of the first 3 … Coach Holberts D got the job done - no flow to the Warren offense at any point in the game … held Warren under the magic 50 mark … ONLY 6 turnovers for the game vs a very good Warren defensive team … held the Big 3 of Warren to 33 points for the game and probably just as important held the WHS bench to 6 points on the night …

… you couldn't have drawn it up and executed a game plan any better than what LE turned in vs the Warriors in the district finale … best of luck vs Watterson - we'll be in the stands rooting on the SE District Champs …

Last edited by pfloyd on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”