Logan Elm vs. Watterson — D2 regional semifinal

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan Elm vs. Watterson — D2 regional semifinal

Post by pfloyd »

… Great season by Coach Stiverson/Coach Holbert & the Braves … thank you for making us Cheap Seat guys smile all season - when you do it right as you folks do WE notice … best of luck to that large group of LE seniors … we have enjoyed watching you play the game …

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd wrote:
bman wrote:I don't get to see all the coaches in the SE District, but I'd stack Coach Stiverson as among the elite in the district.
… bman that is an understatement … ALL other coaches in the SEO District should be measured against both Coach Stiverson and Coach Maddox - end of story … whatever you want to call them - tacticians, X's and O's guys, court side strategists BOTH are "coaches and teachers of the game" … BOTH have built "PROGRAMS" - many times this fact is liberally thrown around BUT true PROGRAMS that begin with the younger grades, connects into the middle school/jr high , on to the Freshman & JV teams are those that emphasize fundamentals for ALL players - not just the physically gifted - but ALL players … at each level kids fine tune consistent teaching of the fundamentals at both ends of the floor …WHEN the players with the talent/the fundamentals rise to the top and make the Varsity TEAM the fundamentals are engrained/ the fundamentals of the game are known by each and every player … at the Varsity level with both the Logan Elm and Warren Programs players are ready to be taught the "nuances" of the game … learn their positions, learn how to PLAY offense & defense … I would stress the point that the majority of schools NOT deemed a school where they have "programs" are trying to do BOTH teach the fundamentals of offense/defensive play WHILE introducing the true "game of basketball" … the PROGRAMS such as what Coaches Stiverson/Maddox have put together truly teach the game of basketball at the varsity level … the majority of coaches at the high school level NEVER get to teach the game of basketball because their players have not gone through a true program … the players are coached to win at all costs at the lower level (all levels below varsity in my book) the teaching of fundamentals are sacrificed for the "W" …

…parents of sons who grew up/learned the game of basketball in the LE/Warren PROGRAMS should have nothing but praise for the coaching staffs at both LE/Warren (and I am talking lower grades on to the varsity) … the players who go through these programs KNOW the game, the positions, the fundamentals these kids if they so choose get into teaching, get back into the game by coaching …look at Evan Blake for Logan Elm - I have watched his JV squad 5 times this year ,Coach Blake KNOWS the game, KNOWS how to coach/teach the game - he learned from one of THE BEST in Coach Stiverson AND ALL of the coaches in the program with Coach Stiverson) … Coach Blake WILL be a head coach down the road - mark it down … any school who is lucky enough to hire him on as their head man WILL HAVE the makings of - you got it - the beginnings of a COACH who WILL create a PRORAM from the bottom up (wonder how he likes the color purple? hmmm LOL ) …

Well said. Logan Elm plays the game the right way, and gets more out of what it has than just about anyone in the district.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Stiverson is probably the best coach in SEO. Stiverson or Norm

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Stiverson is probably the best coach in SEO. Stiverson or Norm

… can't argue with that one … at least the Stiverson side of the comment … hard to argue about Norm Persin either with the resume' and record he has amassed in his coaching career …

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

GAHS had a coach who produced good programs for 41 years, but some wanted the Blue Devils to go in a different direction. Result--7 straight losing seasons.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Jottings wrote:GAHS had a coach who produced good programs for 41 years, but some wanted the Blue Devils to go in a different direction. Result--7 straight losing seasons.
… LOL absolutely Jottings OZ was one of the best … Gallia Academy will be hard pressed to get to the Convo any time soon … with OZ the Blue Devils were a threat on the court most every season … I recall sitting with you, Steve, trojandave & the Portsmouth crew and the GAHS nation supporting the Blue & White at the Convo … how many times does that "let's go in a new direction" turn out well ? …

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

I think both Stiverson and Persin are among the top 6 or 7 coaches in the state of Ohio. They have both been doing it for a long time.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Stumblebum wrote:I think both Stiverson and Persin are among the top 6 or 7 coaches in the state of Ohio. They have both been doing it for a long time.
I bet if you asked them both who is the best coach they both would say norm! ;-) :razz:

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

I know I'm a little late to the party, but great season Braves! I honestly think that with a little more depth, Logan Elm would beat them. But that's not here nor there. That team is the cream of the crop in SEO this year, and I'm proud of their accomplishments!

I don't know a lot about the smaller schools, but Stiverson and Maddox are the best coaches in the district. The coach from Vinton County (forgive me but I can't remember his name) can give them a run for their money, and I think that Circleville's coach will do better in time, but there's no question who tops DII.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Circleville could have a pretty good run coming up here, having some strong players back from this past season's team and a good eighth grade team coming up. They need a PG to step up for next season to replace the loss of Burroughs.

Return to “Boys Basketball”