Logan Elm vs. Watterson — D2 regional semifinal

bman
SEO

Logan Elm vs. Watterson — D2 regional semifinal

Post by bman »

Tip-Off is Thursday at 6:15 p.m. inside the Convo.

Playing the defending state champions will be Logan Elm's toughest test to date, obviously.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan Elm vs. Watterson — D2 regional semifinal

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:Tip-Off is Thursday at 6:15 p.m. inside the Convo.

Playing the defending state champions will be Logan Elm's toughest test to date, obviously.
I'll be pulling for the Braves from inside Value City Arena Thursday!

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman , YOU know I'm a BIG fan of the LE "program" have been for a long time … Coach Stiverson just does it right in all phases of the game … EVERY year - no matter the talent level - his TEAMS play defense, he finds an offensive combination/scheme that fits his teams talent each year … YOU KNOW I will be in the Convo Cheap Seats supporting Logan Elm come Thursday night , wouldn't miss this matchup as LE WILL represent the SEOhio District vs Watterson …

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:YOU KNOW I will be in the Convo Cheap Seats supporting Logan Elm come Thursday night , wouldn't miss this matchup as LE WILL represent the SEOhio District vs Watterson.
I thought you wanted me to pick you up in Logan Thursday? You backing out on the Eastern girls now? What a sham.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:
pfloyd wrote:YOU KNOW I will be in the Convo Cheap Seats supporting Logan Elm come Thursday night , wouldn't miss this matchup as LE WILL represent the SEOhio District vs Watterson.
I thought you wanted me to pick you up in Logan Thursday? You backing out on the Eastern girls now? What a sham.

Pfloyd has his priorities in order. :-D :-D Nice to have one of the top fans of the LE "program" in the cheap seats of the Convo on Thursday. Unfortunately, the supply of free hot dogs and soda pops have been cut off for us.

newkidsontheblock
Waterboy

Post by newkidsontheblock »

Great assesment PFLOYD!! I admire the way Stiversons TEAMS handle themselves on the floor! They play with such intensity on every possesion,and doing with 5-6 guys is just amazing.. The players or coaches never get rattled. In the warren game going down 9-1 i think it was, most teams would have gotten impatient and started doing things out of their comfort zone. Same with the Minford game. They just played thier game until Minford couldnt keep pace anymore. When i see a player drop the ball on the floor instead of handing to the official,, for some reason it "cuts" through me! You will not see an LE player do that (on purpose). Thats is the attention to detail I like about Stiverson. Also you will not see any of his players wearing sleeves or ballet tights! Just kids showing up to play ball who are all dressed alike from head to toe. Not to mention the entire coaching staff in the traditonal basketball attire. Some of these coaches look like they are going golfing or coaching a baseball game!!! I just see a program that respects the game!

~ "Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard"!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

football life wrote:Great assesment PFLOYD!! I admire the way Stiversons TEAMS handle themselves on the floor! They play with such intensity on every possesion,and doing with 5-6 guys is just amazing.. The players or coaches never get rattled. In the warren game going down 9-1 i think it was, most teams would have gotten impatient and started doing things out of their comfort zone. Same with the Minford game. They just played thier game until Minford couldnt keep pace anymore. When i see a player drop the ball on the floor instead of handing to the official,, for some reason it "cuts" through me! You will not see an LE player do that (on purpose). Thats is the attention to detail I like about Stiverson. Also you will not see any of his players wearing sleeves or ballet tights! Just kids showing up to play ball who are all dressed alike from head to toe. Not to mention the entire coaching staff in the traditonal basketball attire. Some of these coaches look like they are going golfing or coaching a baseball game!!! I just see a program that respects the game!

~ "Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard"!

Well said

The Exile
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exile »

I posted this in reply to the Warren v. Watterson game earlier this season. Just re-posting my observations for those who haven't seen Watterson this year:

"My nephew plays for Watterson and I just saw them win a close one at Ready (very good this year).
They played 8 tonight, all seniors. Return four starters and two key bench guys from last year.
Starters: pg Calhoun. Abt. 5-10. Primary ball handler. Very effective driving to the hole. Solid shooter.
Guard/wing Greiser. Abt. 6-4. A do-it-all type. Can shoot the 3 well, dribble drive, good active defender.
Forward Lehmann. Abt. 6-4. Mostly a face to the basket player. Can post up. Deadly 3pt. Shooter.
Forward Diorio (sp.). Abt. 6-3. Hustle guy, doesn't look to shoot much.
Center Hughes. Abt. 6-4. Key offensive player. Not super athletic, but very developed post game. Can put it on the floor. Can shoot jumpers. Good shot blocker, particularly from behind the play.
Bench:
Lewis. Abt. 6-1. Good 3pt. shooter. Solid rebounder. Can put it on the floor.
Gergharty (sp.). Abt. 5-8. Other key ball handler. Good on the ball defender. Doesn't look to shoot much.
Oman. Abt. 6-1. Active player. Made a key 3 tonight.

Overall (again, my amateur opinions):
When on, multiple deadly shooters. Can score inside effectively. Occasionally fall in love with the 3 too much. Average ft. Shooting team. Defensively, play a very effective zone most of the game. Mostly seemed to be a 2-3 ( correct me if I'm wrong). Force a ton of turnovers. Not overwhelming size, but very active guys. Rebound very well as a group.
They also play in a very good league (ccl), and a good non-conf. schedule."

A few amendments to my earlier post:
Diorio seems to have become much more integral offensively, putting up solid numbers almost every night. I also forgot to mention that Lehmann is a VERY good defender.
I have extensive family ties to Logan Elm, so I root for them to play well. However, can't go against blood in this one.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

I'm hoping to make this one. With any luck, I can take my exam in Pickerington early and come down.

It'll be interesting to see how well Logan Elm's conditioning serves them. They were able to beat Warren with only five players for a good chunk of the District Title Game, but Watterson is probably another animal. Logan Elm cannot afford to get into foul trouble with a short bench like they have. Will Thompson be back for this game? Should be a great game, hoping to see a big contingent of LE red in the convo!

GO BRAVES!

Where were the Central Districts held at? The Convo is huge, and I'm not sure how that will affect Watterson if they have been playing in smaller gyms. Some great shooting teams come to the Convo but the depth perception can take a hit at times.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Yes, Thompson will be playing with a mask on.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

GO Braves!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Good luck Logan Elm

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan elm 20
Watterson 15
end of 1

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

LE looking good in the first period. 20-15 lead after 1

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Thompson played the first couple of minutes with the mask and threw it to the side.

AdamSchefter
Waterboy

Post by AdamSchefter »

LE up 25-17

AdamSchefter
Waterboy

Post by AdamSchefter »

LE up 27-22 2:18 left in the first half

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Great matchup of 2 quality teams. LE up 27-22 with 2:18 left in the half.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Great matchup of 2 quality teams. LE up 27-22 with 2:18 left in the half.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

32-28 LE up at the half. Going to be a good one!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”