State Tournament

TripleDouble
JV Team

State Tournament

Post by TripleDouble »

Anyone whose gone to the state championship games. Do u have to pay for each game separately or does one amount get u in all day, half the games or how does that work? Also, how much are tickets to the games? Thanks

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: State Tournament

Post by 4thgoal »

From http://www.ohsaa.org/news/misc/2014-01- ... ickets.pdf

The OHSAA Boys State Basketball Tournament is Thursday through Saturday, March 20‐22, at the
Schottenstein Center, and sales Friday will include all‐session tickets and special all‐session Center Court Club
tickets. The cost for all‐session (12 games) tickets is $144 per person for the Entry and Club Levels of the
arena or $120 each for the Terrace Level. The limited quantity Center Court Club tickets, which cost $498 and
are located in the Entry Level, afford fans the opportunity to remain in the arena between each game of the
tournament and also gain access to a special hospitality area. Single‐session tickets sales for the 2014
tournament begin Thursday, March 6, at 10:00 a.m., and prices are $15 each for the Entry and Club Levels and
$12 for the Terrace Level.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Despite the 3 point Arc scoring here in southeast ohio is still dismal. Kids can't shoot.
Scoring in the 50's is like scoring in the 80's 20-30 years ago.

A lot of games are low 40's and some can't break 30!!!

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Regulator wrote:Despite the 3 point Arc scoring here in southeast ohio is still dismal. Kids can't shoot.
Scoring in the 50's is like scoring in the 80's 20-30 years ago.

A lot of games are low 40's and some can't break 30!!!
I agree. I think basketball is terrible in the southeast. Esp D4. The teams that won districts this year couldnt have won a sectional 20 years ago. Nothing against anyone its just down as a entire area IMO.

theburgtheword
Varsity

Post by theburgtheword »

Too much AAU. Not teaching fundamentals.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

teamwork wrote:Too much AAU. Not teaching fundamentals.
Completely agree!!! Also shoot outs. Money makers! No fundamentals. Kids foul because they don't keep track!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Regulator wrote:
Completely agree!!! Also shoot outs. Money makers! No fundamentals. Kids foul because they don't keep track!
I can see the point about AAU, but I don't see where teams playing in shootouts hurts scoring. So, the lack of calling fouls leads to poor shooting? Not seeing the connection.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Regulator wrote:
Because playing in shootouts and coming together as a team with your teammates is not beneficial. I get so tired of this! Like I said before. I am sure there are AAU teams that are coached by guys who are not good teachers of the game. Kids putting in extra time and being in a gym is always beneficial. It is like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. Could kids develop some bad habits? possibly. Do the benefits of going against bigger, faster, stronger and a kid improving his game outweigh the negatives? Absolutely. A kid can develop bad habits in open gym. It is the coaches job to take the athletes he is given and build a team and get them playing his or hers desired style. Not all shootouts don't keep track of fouls, and normally in AAU they do keep track of fouls.

................................and that my friends is the UGLY TRUTH!!!!!

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

I guess I'm sick and tired of year round sports! Whatever happened to kids playing 2 or , wait for it , 3 sports?

All players want to do is play. Not practice, but play. You can spin it all you want but it's hurting basketball!!!
Go to a shoot out this yr and count how many fouls are called due to laziness and lack of fundamental def. yes, it does hurt shooting because if a player is shooting he/ she usually is fouled because there are no repercussions .

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

D4 was pretty down this year in the SE District. I felt we had some good teams in D2 and D3. Were they state championship caliber? No, but they were good teams. With the lack of population of the SE compared to most of the other districts, we've done a respectable job of putting forth some good teams that could hang with a lot of folks in the state - Chillicothe, Ironton, Portsmouth, South Webster, Oak Hill, Logan Elm, Warren and some others I've probably left out over the past decade.

Portsmouth could be the next team to join that group next year. Athens has some quality pieces.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

With the exception of a few teams , valley ,warren, athens, le, Minford , southeast ohio basketball was terrible. Getting worse , wait til next year. SOC will be bad!
Yes, athens will be good.

old basketball fan
Waterboy

Post by old basketball fan »

You guys must not see the games you are watching (your blind). There are more quality coaches and the defense is much, much better than years ago. More coaches spend more time teaching D, so if you have a bad night shooting you still have a chance to win.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

old basketball fan wrote:You guys must not see the games you are watching (your blind). There are more quality coaches and the defense is much, much better than years ago. More coaches spend more time teaching D, so if you have a bad night shooting you still have a chance to win.
Maybe in some instances, but not a lot of games I saw. Teams miss easy lay ups , free throws, and wide open shots. I get a kick out of those players wearing shooting sleeves. Some even wear on opposite arm. Lol

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Regulator wrote:
old basketball fan wrote:You guys must not see the games you are watching (your blind). There are more quality coaches and the defense is much, much better than years ago. More coaches spend more time teaching D, so if you have a bad night shooting you still have a chance to win.
Maybe in some instances, but not a lot of games I saw. Teams miss easy lay ups , free throws, and wide open shots. I get a kick out of those players wearing shooting sleeves. Some even wear on opposite arm. Lol
Those are probably for legit injuries, since they are padded..but why do you watch games if it's so bad for you to watch?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Regulator wrote:With the exception of a few teams , valley ,warren, athens, le, Minford , southeast ohio basketball was terrible. Getting worse , wait til next year. SOC will be bad! Yes, athens will be good.
Athens has everyone in the rotation coming back BUT they may not be the TOP team in SEOhio - at least in the PreSeason Rankings … not sure what teams/games you watched this past season BUT I did see a lot of games ALL across Southern/Southeast Ohio and I saw some very good basketball teams out there : Valley , Warren, Athens, Minford is a good start but you have to include the likes of Unioto, Zane Trace, Southeastern from the SVC … Peebles, Eastern Brown, Fairfield Leesburg, Lynchburg Clay from west of Rt 23 … Logan Elm, Chillicothe, Circleville from the Northwest Territories … Nelsonville/Southern/South Gallia/Alexander/Vinton County … Chesapeake/Fairland/South Point/Coal Grove in the OVC … Wheelersburg/Portsmouth from along the mighty Ohio … if you look at many of the teams there was a WHOLE "LOTTA youngin's on the court as well … I actuality see a shift in some of the top teams who lose a lot to graduation - they will be solid - Valley, Logan Elm, Warren but not where they will go deep into the postseason - overall I see MORE quality teams for next season as the youth will have experience for next season … I like what I am seeing coming up for the 2014-15 season !!!! imo we will have some teams in multiple divisions who have a chance to make some noise during the 3 Weeks of the Convo & beyond next year …

… SEOhio "reloads" every year ! you just have to get out there, go where the quality is ! next year it will be all over the area so you won't be disappointed any night of the week in my book …

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

It's going to be interesting to see how teams like Circleville, Chillicothe, Zane Trace, Unioto and some others can develop to go along with Athens and a few of the other preseason favorites. Miami Trace has some of the best athletic talent in the district if they can just put it together.
Last edited by bman on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Regulator wrote:With the exception of a few teams , valley ,warren, athens, le, Minford , southeast ohio basketball was terrible. Getting worse , wait til next year. SOC will be bad!
Yes, athens will be good.
I watched five district and one regional game at the Convo, and they were all highly entertaining. It's always a great experience to be able to go down to the Convo to watch some hoops. If you don't want to watch, don't go.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

I think D3 was definitely down this year in SEO compared to what we have watched in the last decade. We have been spoiled with all the talented teams that D3 in SEO has put on the court. I think anyone who has watched much would agree. D2 has some exciting games this year. Some of the old traditional powers like Chilli and McClain seem to be down but Warren and LE made up for that. D4 hasn't had the dominate teams since 2006 SW and 2009 OH. I think as a whole that basketball was down in SEO this year compared to in the past. Am I still going to watch? YES! Does that change the fact that it was not as good this year as in years past? NO!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:I think D3 was definitely down this year in SEO compared to what we have watched in the last decade. We have been spoiled with all the talented teams that D3 in SEO has put on the court. I think anyone who has watched much would agree. D2 has some exciting games this year. Some of the old traditional powers like Chilli and McClain seem to be down but Warren and LE made up for that. D4 hasn't had the dominate teams since 2006 SW and 2009 OH. I think as a whole that basketball was down in SEO this year compared to in the past. Am I still going to watch? YES! Does that change the fact that it was not as good this year as in years past? NO!
… maybe teams 1-72 were overall down BUT there wasn't a night of hoops action that I couldn't go find a great game on any given night Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line … and by the way Chillicothe was an EXCELLENT ball club this past season - D1 players on the Cav's as in years past - no BUT outstanding players just the same junior Tommy Bolte might have been the best kept secret in Southern/Southeast Ohio LOL - a GREAT basketball player for the Cavs …

Return to “Boys Basketball”