Pike Western Coaching Job

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Pike Western Coaching Job

Post by rockbiter »

I just heard that the Western Latham coaching job is open. A lot of promising, young talent in that program, although they are probably still a year away. They played several freshmen and sophs. Great facilities and a community that will turn out in droves to support a team that has a chance to win. Will be interesting to watch. Maybe that would be a good job for Howie!

beaverlover
SE

Re: Pike Western Coaching Job

Post by beaverlover »

I thought Jordans son Mike was getting the job?

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

I think there is a former Red Streak that could be interested in this job.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Western played one freshman this past year, and played a couple sophomores limited minutes. They r going to have 6 Seniors with 3 years varsity experience. If and its a BIG IF they can play together they should be TOPs in the SOC 1. Some great talent on this team. Along with Shanks at PG, Garrett the other shooting guard made 81 3 pointers this past year. They have an excellent young forward in Bryce Brewster who could be a force in the league. They must utilize him next year. Lee another Senior guard really came on late in the year. They will be able to score a ton. Defense will be the challenge. If they can get a coach in there that can demand discipline on offense and defense they should win a lot of games. And at Western its always paramount in being able to manage the parents. That will be the REAL challenge.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

UKNate wrote:I think there is a former Red Streak that could be interested in this job.
Kyle did a great job with the JV this year. Just dont know if he is ready to deal with all the issues that come along with the varsity. Ton of drama with this team. I would like to see him get another year under his belt, and take over the program the following year. He is young, energetic, and knows the game. He could build a good program in Latham.

irontontruth
Waterboy

Post by irontontruth »

What type of teaching vacancies are open with this job?????

SvGirl07
Waterboy

Post by SvGirl07 »

IndianFan4life wrote:Western played one freshman this past year, and played a couple sophomores limited minutes. They r going to have 6 Seniors with 3 years varsity experience. If and its a BIG IF they can play together they should be TOPs in the SOC 1. Some great talent on this team. Along with Shanks at PG, Garrett the other shooting guard made 81 3 pointers this past year. They have an excellent young forward in Bryce Brewster who could be a force in the league. They must utilize him next year. Lee another Senior guard really came on late in the year. They will be able to score a ton. Defense will be the challenge. If they can get a coach in there that can demand discipline on offense and defense they should win a lot of games. And at Western its always paramount in being able to manage the parents. That will be the REAL challenge.

I would say Eastern will still be top of the back, not sure they lose much off their championship team.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Maybe so 80sballer. All I am saying is that if you could find a coach who would demand discipline from his players, and can get parents to cooperate, and just be parents, that the talent is there to win the SOC1. I obliviously know that Eastern is going to be good again (Coach Fitch) deserves more appreciation than he gets. It should be fun to watch next year.

And I do not know of any vacancies in teaching will be available. Coach Jordan was retired, and did not need a position in the school?????????

irontontruth
Waterboy

Post by irontontruth »

Yes....I would be interested in applying for that with the right teaching position

SvGirl07
Waterboy

Post by SvGirl07 »

IndianFan4life wrote:Maybe so 80sballer. All I am saying is that if you could find a coach who would demand discipline from his players, and can get parents to cooperate, and just be parents, that the talent is there to win the SOC1. I obliviously know that Eastern is going to be good again (Coach Fitch) deserves more appreciation than he gets. It should be fun to watch next year.

And I do not know of any vacancies in teaching will be available. Coach Jordan was retired, and did not need a position in the school?????????

I get what youre saying and would agree with you when its put that way.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

I have not followed Western for several years. I was not aware that there was so much drama and parental interference there. It would have taken Heckie Thompson only about five minutes to deal with that. But, times have changed, and it is a problem practically everywhere, now. It is a societal problem. Parents need to stay out of the coaching and do something they know something about. But, I saw the Indians play in the tournament, and, I was impressed. There is some real talent, there. They need to import a big man or two, though.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Kyle Miller is your man. Young, energetic, loves the game, good instructor...good place to start to gain some experience.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Stumblebum wrote:I have not followed Western for several years. I was not aware that there was so much drama and parental interference there. It would have taken Heckie Thompson only about five minutes to deal with that. But, times have changed, and it is a problem practically everywhere, now. It is a societal problem. Parents need to stay out of the coaching and do something they know something about. But, I saw the Indians play in the tournament, and, I was impressed. There is some real talent, there. They need to import a big man or two, though.

Your sure right about Heckie setting things straight. The funny thing is that most of the parents knew or played for Heckie. Coaches these days have to be ultra sensitive as to what they say to a kid. Just guessing but if Heckie would have been there this past season he would have sent some kids home, if for nothing else, parental involvement. They have some really good talent. Going to take a special coach to bring it all together though. As I stated before I think Kyle Miller is a great young mind. Just would hate to see him get ground up in the meat grinder out here too soon. Looking forward to seeing these young men compete next season.

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

I could also see Miller staying on as top assistant if it was a candidate he backed getting the job. This is all speculation as I am not even sure this person will apply, and rather not stir things up.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

When I saw them play (twice) Jordan never got off the bench except for quarter breaks and halftime (and, maybe, a time out or two), but another guy walked up and down in front of the bench and shouted instructions nearly the entire game. It wasn't really clear which one of them was the head coach. Who was that, and what was his role?

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Stumblebum wrote:When I saw them play (twice) Jordan never got off the bench except for quarter breaks and halftime (and, maybe, a time out or two), but another guy walked up and down in front of the bench and shouted instructions nearly the entire game. It wasn't really clear which one of them was the head coach. Who was that, and what was his role?
That was Mike Jordan,Larrys son. I assume he will apply for the job.

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

Mike is Larrys son and was the varsity assistant. He is not interested in the job now. He has had 3 years dealing with the parents out here and understands the deal. Kyle would be a great hire if they could pull that off. He did an incredible job with the JV team this year with no help from the Varsity job. The only problem is he will not be back before summer break is over. So if they hire him they have to get someone else to run all of the summer programs and scrimmages. I am not sure if they would accept that or not. On the other hand who else would be interested in dealing with this cess pool that has ran off Harrop, Kite, and is so bad that Mike Jordan is not interested.

PullingGard
Waterboy

Post by PullingGard »

Although I don't know that much about what is going on at Western,I do know that Kyle Miller is plenty ready to take over.I watched Kyle coach over at the reserve county tournament, (which I believe the Indians won),coach very well.I thought he had very good control of his players who seemed to respect him.I watched most of this reserve team last year and they seemed to be a completely different team.I don't think the summer would be that much of an issue due to the fact you just need someone to open up the gym as well as set some scrimages up.I would like to see Kyle take a local job so that I can see his teams,Western just may be the right place because I'm sure he's already proven he can make his players better,and being a young coach is just the icing on the cake.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Kyle Miller is your man. Young, energetic, loves the game, good instructor...good place to start to gain some experience.
I agree, Kyle is an outstanding young man, that is very passionate about the game. Kyle is excellent with kids and would be a great coach.

Jim Mora
Freshman Team

Post by Jim Mora »

UKNate wrote:I could also see Miller staying on as top assistant if it was a candidate he backed getting the job. This is all speculation as I am not even sure this person will apply, and rather not stir things up.
I heard this person has called and inquired, but however did not apply? That is if, we are thinking of the same person. Assistant last year at Piketon?

Return to “Boys Basketball”