Ryan McCarly new River Valley Coach?

Runner00
JV Team

Re: Ryan McCarly new River Valley Coach?

Post by Runner00 »

How old is Jeremy Peck?

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

I hear you to but RV has had a bad track record so whats the big deal, I've seen some good come out of this in the past, . stop being a a$$$ , give a shot to someone young. OZ was young 1 time.If I remember right E was a asst. COACH at RV can't tell me he don't no the game why would they not give him the head coaching job? and fool i could take that the wrong way but i smile at least my kid could play the game.

Who9Dey
JV Team

Post by Who9Dey »

I never applied bball and I don't want it. I'm happy where I'm at.
I know who applied and who never applied and still got calls but everyone said no. I know a few from outside this area applied with experience but was not wanted either. I wish them well. If that is the staff I just have never seen a varsity staff and jv that has never coached from 7th grade up to varsity. Doesn't mean they won't win and I hope they do but when it's time to play chess vs Vinton county and Athens what then?
All the coaches hired are good guys and will definately learn on the run. If you hired them for one year just to boot them like the last coach shame on you rv. It will take more than one year to turn around anything.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Who9Dey wrote:I wish all them luck. Bevo I think varsity girls coach has a three year deal. I was told that not sure.
I've stayed off of here for quite awhile, too much going on in my life to spend time on here debating rumors, innuendos, etc. That said, I've been watching what has been going on here at RV for at least three years, and I really feel bad for the school and the kids. What a nasty cycle they have been in, no progress, revolving door of coaches, sounds like an ambivalent school board who frankly keeps meddling with things, and an apathetic group of parents who point the finger (or give the finger) to the poor souls who have taken the head coaching position. Wow.

No dog in the fight, don't want to be in the fight, just making an outside observation. Something, and someone, needs to break this vicious cycle of underachievement and ineptitude. I hope that someone with a set of stones steps up and challenges the board, and the culture of failure that has prevailed for who knows how long. I mean that sincerely and with zero animosity towards anyone.

Oh, and whodey9 old buddy (I do miss you, btw), there is no such thing as a multi-year contract in the OHSAA from my understanding. Coaching positions must be posted every year, there is no incumbent. At least that is what I've been told year in and year out from my friends and mentors that have continued to coach for 20 to 40 plus years now. Oh, and yea, I'm old........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who9Dey
JV Team

Post by Who9Dey »

Steely old friend I think of you a lot. One of the best people I remember from my fed days. I actually took a call from someone there recently. I sure miss it there. I had no politics and school was great. Hate seeing them having trouble finding a coach. I still got ur number would love to talk sometime in the future to catch up

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

Steely Dan wrote:
Who9Dey wrote:I wish all them luck. Bevo I think varsity girls coach has a three year deal. I was told that not sure.
I've stayed off of here for quite awhile, too much going on in my life to spend time on here debating rumors, innuendos, etc. That said, I've been watching what has been going on here at RV for at least three years, and I really feel bad for the school and the kids. What a nasty cycle they have been in, no progress, revolving door of coaches, sounds like an ambivalent school board who frankly keeps meddling with things, and an apathetic group of parents who point the finger (or give the finger) to the poor souls who have taken the head coaching position. Wow.

No dog in the fight, don't want to be in the fight, just making an outside observation. Something, and someone, needs to break this vicious cycle of underachievement and ineptitude. I hope that someone with a set of stones steps up and challenges the board, and the culture of failure that has prevailed for who knows how long. I mean that sincerely and with zero animosity towards anyone.

Oh, and whodey9 old buddy (I do miss you, btw), there is no such thing as a multi-year contract in the OHSAA from my understanding. Coaching positions must be posted every year, there is no incumbent. At least that is what I've been told year in and year out from my friends and mentors that have continued to coach for 20 to 40 plus years now. Oh, and yea, I'm old........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
South Gallia has the exact same school board so I am not sure you can blame the board. Not that SG sets the world on fire but they have managed some success in football and basketball. The difference is SG has stability in the head coach positions in both boys basketball and football and RV has not. I think one coaching change in each sport over ten years. River Valley has always puzzled me. You look at the talent in junor high and you think they are just a few years away from something good. What happens between junior high and junior year? When you look back to the old North Gallia and Kyger Creek days they were by far the 2 most successful football teams of the old 4 county high schools. Plus the majority of the old Southwestern attendance area attend RV.

I sincerely hope that RV can some day get this situation sorted out and headed in the right direction.

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

It never will rebel cat. The difference in the two communities is that the south gallia community will actually support a coaches program while the community at rv looks to tear down a coach unless he is a clown like the last basketball coach or the current football coach. I've said it before you cannot have a successful program unless your players are disciplined and they are held accountable. Quinn and sparling were perfect for what that community wants. They let kids come out halfway through the season and reward kids with playing time instead of making them earn it.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

Prep Expert,! Never say never they have had good success in the past with the right Coaching, Carl Wolfe and Merl Triplett, yes Coaching is the problem! Just like Jordan Hill, he was not ready to be a head coach. He struggled with handling personal situations and hand cuffed himself with a poor selection at varsity asst. He was not a good offensive coach at all. RV never seems to get the right man for the job. They hire guys who are 1st time coaches or right out of college. They need a seasoned veteran who preaches fundamentals.
SG is in a good situation because it is seen as the little school where kids can go if they don't fit in at other larger schools or the parents seem to be disgruntled because their kid isn't getting a fair shake, lol. Of the kids projected to start at the key positions in football and BB how many are actually from SG? Answer honestly! Not a good situation IMHO . That is a powder keg if you get too many expecting to compete for a few spots. That may be happening now?? Home boys vs outsiders? Not the 1st school it's happens at. Also the league SG plays in is not really hard to have.500 success in if you call that success?

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

I agree with you bevo. I know some of south gallias key athletes are kids that probably wouldn't see the field or court at gallipolis. Some left because they were disgruntled and others knew that was the only chance they might have to play at a school that actually has a chance to win some games. You don't see any kids transferring to rv. Thats why many of them go south. SG's football coach looks like he knows what he's doing in the weightroom. Their kids have nice physiques. RV 's athletes never seem to be very muscular in the lower body.
I've always been amazed at the support the community at south gallia gives to their school. It's amazing that they have the building that they do when you consider that they don't have enough students to justify the size of that building. They need the tax base of the north end to keep that school open. There isn't enough money in the south district to keep that school open. It's a good example of how a community can fight for their kids to get them nice facilities.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Bevo wrote:Prep Expert,! Never say never they have had good success in the past with the right Coaching, Carl Wolfe and Merl Triplett, yes Coaching is the problem! Just like Jordan Hill, he was not ready to be a head coach. He struggled with handling personal situations and hand cuffed himself with a poor selection at varsity asst. He was not a good offensive coach at all. RV never seems to get the right man for the job. They hire guys who are 1st time coaches or right out of college. They need a seasoned veteran who preaches fundamentals.
SG is in a good situation because it is seen as the little school where kids can go if they don't fit in at other larger schools or the parents seem to be disgruntled because their kid isn't getting a fair shake, lol. Of the kids projected to start at the key positions in football and BB how many are actually from SG? Answer honestly! Not a good situation IMHO . That is a powder keg if you get too many expecting to compete for a few spots. That may be happening now?? Home boys vs outsiders? Not the 1st school it's happens at. Also the league SG plays in is not really hard to have.500 success in if you call that success?
I disagree about a coach being a good offensive coach. Take Ozzy for instance at Gallia for a millon years and he did not coach O at all. Ask his former players. Defense is the best Offense their is. If a kid doesnt have a decent shot or know how to make a lay up at the High school level they need not be playing

256pride
Riding the Bench

Post by 256pride »

Wow i thought this was supposed to be a thread about river valley basketball not a "lets bash south gallia" thread? Jealousy rears it ugly head I guess. The raiders have a new coach im reading here so i for one hope that all of our county schools have success.

ny_buckeyes_goodin_2284
Waterboy

Post by ny_buckeyes_goodin_2284 »

McCarly should have probably been given this job. Does anyone know why he was not offered? He would have put in the time and would have been looking to stay at RV for an extended period of time. There must be some deep reason that the board doesn't want him to run the program.

I'm only going off what I have read on this site, but what other school hires a rinky dink coach to be the Varsity coach? I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. If this thread is true, RV has hired a guy with no real experience. Then hired more guys for his staff that also has no experience. I see that the asst. coaches are 19-21 years old....that's another thing that is unconventional. It'll be interesting to see their style of play and the discipline of the team.

This whole thing just seems a little odd. How many people applied for this job? Do people just view this as a horrible job?

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

I think any coaching job at rv is a horrible job. They are going into another league that they won't compete in. Any coach in his right mind wouldn't want to touch this job. They had a guy that was committed to building a disciplined program but that's not what the community wants. They want easy going coaches like Quinn and sparling.

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

Prep Expert wrote:I think any coaching job at rv is a horrible job. They are going into another league that they won't compete in. Any coach in his right mind wouldn't want to touch this job. They had a guy that was committed to building a disciplined program but that's not what the community wants. They want easy going coaches like Quinn and sparling.

The job was offered to both Caldwell and Moore that I know of and they both turned it down. It's a job that nobody wants so they hired a coach that is a good guy even if he is inexperienced. RV should have hired McCarley as an assistant because he does have the basketball knowledge to help the program. Quinn did a fair job just upset the wrong person apparently. John Calipari would have a tough time at this school after Hill furthur destroyed a struggling program winning less and less games every year while running off talented kids. Hill was a master of overcoaching and had no offensive mind whatsoever, combined with his stubborness it cost him the sectional game against Vinton County that year when he refused to go zone (against his assistants advice) and gave up that final bucket underneath to lose the game. Afterward he even said himself that his stubborness cost them that game. While everyone makes mistakes you must learn from them to grow and he only slid furthur away from reality placing the program in the difficult spot it is in today.

I agree that they will struggle in the new league. If I was RV I would go independant and attempt to build a program playing the teams that I schedule myself. Good luck to the new coach and the kids.

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Hindsight is 20/20 decisions were made games were won and lost coaches were hired and fired. The main thing is new coach new era support the program or suffer through another tenure. Man lost a game zone might have lost a game right or wrong decisions were made win or lose gotta have support if not same ole same ole!!! There's a reason why mccarley wasn't hired for varsity sane as he isn't an asst.!

ny_buckeyes_goodin_2284
Waterboy

Judge and Jury,
Are you going to share the reason or just throw it out there and keep quiet?

Judge and Jury
Freshman Team

Post by Judge and Jury »

Nah I'm good just seems like conventional wisdom when he's applied at least two out of the last three times for the head job and has been passed and to b passed over this time around so if its not that he isn't qualified for the job there's gotta b something there that is obviously holding it up either way this thread has seen its better days he wasn't hired they have a coach the others are gone maybe time for a new thread because nobodies opinion of him or RV or any other coach for that matter is going to change the fact that its a done deal and need to move on!

ny_buckeyes_goodin_2284
Waterboy

haha I didn't know RV basketball had insider knowledge.

Does RV return some experience from last year? Any names, heights, positions, etc?

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

Interesting to read some of the comments on this thread. Some are just downright hilarious.

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

BuckeyeNut10 wrote:haha I didn't know RV basketball had insider knowledge.

Does RV return some experience from last year? Any names, heights, positions, etc?

Interesting that you bring that up since next year will be the once vaunted class of 2015 for RV. Roberts graduated so his size will be missed. I'd say the 2 best senior returning players are Rusk, and Qualls who will play a lot, of course looking back a few years there were 15 freshman in this class that played. The 2 big men quit playing altogether, while the PG left to go elsewhere, Hatfield has had an unfortunate series of injuries but hopefully can play as a senior, my how things change in a few years. Twyman will be a junior and I figure he will play a ton and likely be their leading scorer. Last year Quinn played a great deal of freshman and sophomores so hopefully that helps this year and years to come. Also I heard they had a lot of underclassman at a scrimmage although not a lot of size but great numbers is always a good start.

Return to “Boys Basketball”