SVC Outlook for Upcoming Season

FAN
Waterboy

SVC Outlook for Upcoming Season

Post by FAN »

I think the clear favorite will be Unioto, Paint Valley also has a lot returning plus a huge man in the middle addition. How will the other teams shake out this year?

chef_piketon
JV Team

Re: SVC Outlook for Upcoming Season

Post by chef_piketon »

Don't count out the Boys from the Village of Piketon. Not far removed from a lot of success and word is everyone is back healthy and eligible this season. The Oven is always a tough place to play for visitors. The match-up early at Piketon with the Boys from Frenchtown will go a long way in determining who wears the crown. Here Comes the Streaks!

SouthGallia#1 in bball
Riding the Bench

Post by SouthGallia#1 in bball »

Unioto
Piketon
Paint Valley, I think Adena would be here but Hall missing half of the games will hurt them too much.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Piketon recent finishes...
2004 - 1st
2005 - 2nd
2006 - 7th
2007 - 6th
2008 - 2nd
2009 - 1st
2010 - 2nd
2011 - 1st - GoldBall
2012 - 1st
2013 - 1st
2014 - 4th
2015 - ?

Here Comes the Streaks!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Streaks will be fine. The return of key players and Wyatt Brewster will be one of the top players in the league. Maybe not enough to win it all, but at least be in the conversation.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Piketon has all the pieces for potential to WIN the SVC. Don't count out the streaks!

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

FrenchtownFan wrote:Unioto
Piketon
Paint Valley, I think Adena would be here but Hall missing half of the games will hurt them too much.
Didn't know Hall had to miss half of the games?? Why is that? That will certainly hurt Adena, but I'm sure they are glad to have him back.

goodsoccer8
Waterboy

Post by goodsoccer8 »

Please excuse my while I laugh at the thought of this being a race. There is one clear cut favorite and that is Unioto. The hardest part of the SVC for Hoops this year is trying to figure out when to sub. He's going to have 5 or 6 kids who could start on any other team in the league. This team has a stacked preseason schedule featuring multiple D1 caliber athletes and state playoff programs. The Sherman's aren't prepping for a shot at the SVC, they're prepping for a shot at districts and state. Factor in returning POY in Nick Corcoran with his excellent and veteran classmates Nick Overly, Kyle Strange, and Alek Adkins. The respectable underclass will feature veterans Erique Hosely (looks twice as strong from a year ago with football lifting) and Cole Cottrill. its also been rumored that Austin Houser will play this year solidifying the post game and providing the size Unioto is missing. New to the action this year will be freshman Logan Swackhammer who, in my opinion, will be used to run transition PG and lock down any guards in the area. I look to see Unioto and Corcoran repeat at 14-0. In addition, the program Matt Hoops has with him is staggering. Its reasonable to believe that Unioto Varsity, JV, and Freshman could ALL go undefeated in conference play.

With that being said, the league's 2-5 slots are a toss up. I look to see Adena coming in at the 2 spot based on the guard play of Jonathan Thomas. Followed by Piketon at 3 with runner up POY Wyatt Brewster assuming he remains healthy. 4 spot goes to PV. You can't teach size. They'll have plenty. My 5 slot is ZT. Word on the street is the team will go without Hutton and Petzel due to potential in primary sports giving Mowery 100% of the weight. They'll win the easy games and grind out a 30 point Mowery night to sneak a couple wins to finish in the mix.

Rounding out the bottom are SE Westfall and Huntington based on lack of consistency. Who will play the big in Richmondale? Who will play guard in the hills? Does Westfall have the depth to compete? Also, new coaching systems are still getting settled in for the kids at some schools.

My awards
POY- Nick Corcoran
COY - Matt Hoops
Defensive POY - Mason McCloy

1st Team:
Corcoran - U
Brewster - P
McCloy - PV
Mowery - ZT
Thomas - A

2nd Team:
Hosely - U
Miles - SE
Shanks - H
Hall - A
Cottrill - U

Best Games:
Unioto at Adena
Unioto at Piketon
(If an impossible upset were to happen, it would be here. Unioto struggles both locations historically)
Every game played between ZT, SE, Piketon, and Adena

MRI13
Riding the Bench

Post by MRI13 »

I have to agree with you...Unioto is going to run people off the court this year. They definitely could field and entire other starting line up at another school. The amount of talent they have is unreal. If I were hoops I would run run run....with Overly and Strange they can flat out move...plus when one of your bigs is athletic as Erique is he is always going to win that race down the floor.

I look to see UHS in a long tournament run as long as Hoops does his job.

I wish Hall didnt have to sit out games at Adena...hes improved so much and is a real talent. I think Adena is going to turn the league upside down the second half of the year.

PV will be tough for sure with their size but can they keep up with teams with speed?

Brewster will need to play more of a team game if possible and not try to score everytime for Piketon to have success IMO.

I think SE will be fine, Dylan Miles is a great PG and they have some athletes. I think as far as in the middle they had a couple big kids who played well last year in substitue mins. The young dark haired kid "bubba" maybe? He has some talent for his age.

ZT is going to be the Pierce Mowery show...after his dad and Koker ran off the coach and half the team Im sure every play will run through Pierce. Hes a phenomenal shooter...i think its easy to guard him now losing Hall Hutton Petzel and Smith.

SVCFan
Waterboy

Post by SVCFan »

Which is it? "Here comes the Streaks" or "Here come the Streaks" :?:
Or does it even matter in that neck of the woods?
:aaaaa26

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

The Greek thinks Unioto is the favorite, but I'm not sure about the "Gold Ball" or running everyone off the court. They tend to struggle a bit at ZT, Adena, and here at the "Oven" in Pike County. :122245
Time will tell....if they indeed win the SVC, I would like to see them advance a little deeper in the tournament. DII is always tough in the SE; but if they're good as everyone is saying, that shouldn't matter this year. I will get that "Home Cookin" going when they visit the Streaks!

SouthGallia#1 in bball
Riding the Bench

Post by SouthGallia#1 in bball »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:The Greek thinks Unioto is the favorite, but I'm not sure about the "Gold Ball" or running everyone off the court. They tend to struggle a bit at ZT, Adena, and here at the "Oven" in Pike County. :122245
Time will tell....if they indeed win the SVC, I would like to see them advance a little deeper in the tournament. DII is always tough in the SE; but if they're good as everyone is saying, that shouldn't matter this year. I will get that "Home Cookin" going when they visit the Streaks!
78-55 :122246 was a struggle last year :-D , with 95% of the scoring from that game returning too. If everyone stays eligible for the Redstreaks things will be tougher, especially after playing my choice for 2nd in the league, Paint Valley, the night before.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bellyoption wrote:
FrenchtownFan wrote:Unioto
Piketon
Didn't know Hall had to miss half of the games?? Why is that? That will certainly hurt Adena, but I'm sure they are glad to have him back.
The transfer without moving is why (I could be wrong though). Adena will be one to definitely look out for the second half of the season, but will also be pretty good the first half with J. Thomas, Cory, I. Thomas, Shanton, and Miller all being above average (at minimum) players.

I really believe that nearly every team in the league will be improved from last year. ZT is hurt by the loss of their PG and C, but still have Mowery and some other nice athletes. They should still be very good at home and will be dangerous if anyone overlooks them.

The league will be very competitive overall, even though I do think Unioto will be very good, their overall lack of size inside could hurt them against the Bearcats, especially at the Jigger. Piketon, if healthy and eligible, is pretty talented, although without much depth. Outside of last year's 4th quarter at the Oven, the Streaks have given Unioto fits for years.

bellyoption
Freshman Team

Post by bellyoption »

Why does Hall have to sit out though? He lives in Adena School district right? I didn't think he ever moved. My cousin works with his mom at UPS, he said they never moved out of the district. So if that is true, I wouldn't think he would have to sit out any games?

Who does Unioto play non conference? Hopefully they scheduled a few tougher teams this year, especially knowing that they are bringing everyone back and wanting to make a run in the tournament. I'll be blunt and say that in the last few years, their non conference schedule has been weak and sort of a joke. I have to think that is the reason they didn't make it to the Convo last year. They didn't play anyone (other than ZT) til they got to Minford.

I look forward the season, it should be fun in Frenchtown. I also see other teams making a nice little run in the tournament. PV, Adena, and even Piketon will be pretty good.

goodsoccer8
Waterboy

Post by goodsoccer8 »

Hall is unable to play half the season due to the fact that he used his current address to open enroll at ZT. The OHSAA sees this as transferring without moving even if it's to his home district. As for Unioto and the non conference, their scrimmage schedule features Portsmouth, Bishop Watterson, Desailes, and Chillicothe. Regular season they will see Logan and Valley. The Sherman's will come into the season as hardened vets.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

goodsoccer8 wrote:Hall is unable to play half the season due to the fact that he used his current address to open enroll at ZT. The OHSAA sees this as transferring without moving even if it's to his home district. As for Unioto and the non conference, their scrimmage schedule features Portsmouth, Bishop Watterson, Desailes, and Chillicothe. Regular season they will see Logan and Valley. The Sherman's will come into the season as hardened vets.
Also will play at Miami Trace later in the season, as well as hosting Washington CH. Last year's non conference featured (at time of tournament draw): @14-3 WCH, 13-5 MT, @McClain (a place they had never won before last year), hosted Logan, @19-2 Valley, and then weak Jackson/Madison Plains/Waverly. Madison Plains was dropped in favor of Fairfield Union and I believe that they are in a lot of mutual contracts for games still, but I don't see them dropping WCH/MT/McClain/Logan any time soon.

I'd like to see the non-conference improved a little bit more, but I am very pleased with the scrimmage schedule!

Does anyone have the schedule for the ZT Tipoff Classic?

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

The U should win it, but don't rule out PV as those kids have played in a lot of big games in multiple sports. I look for Adena to peak around tournament time as they may spend most of the regular season trying to find their identity.

SVCFan
Waterboy

Post by SVCFan »

iknow wrote:The U should win it, but don't rule out PV as those kids have played in a lot of big games in multiple sports. I look for Adena to peak around tournament time as they may spend most of the regular season trying to find their identity.
I think Paint Valley will be very good this year.

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

MRI13 wrote:I have to agree with you...Unioto is going to run people off the court this year. They definitely could field and entire other starting line up at another school. The amount of talent they have is unreal. If I were hoops I would run run run....with Overly and Strange they can flat out move...plus when one of your bigs is athletic as Erique is he is always going to win that race down the floor.

I wish Hall didnt have to sit out games at Adena...hes improved so much and is a real talent. I think Adena is going to turn the league upside down the second half of the year.

PV will be tough for sure with their size but can they keep up with teams with speed?

Brewster will need to play more of a team game if possible and not try to score everytime for Piketon to have success IMO.

I think SE will be fine, Dylan Miles is a great PG and they have some athletes. I think as far as in the middle they had a couple big kids who played well last year in substitue mins. The young dark haired kid "bubba" maybe? He has some talent for his age.

ZT is going to be the Pierce Mowery show...after his dad and Koker ran off the coach and half the team Im sure every play will run through Pierce. Hes a phenomenal shooter...i think its easy to guard him now losing Hall Hutton Petzel and Smith.

I believe Unioto is the favorite because as someone else noted they return a large percentage of their scoring. I question them making a long tourney run though. They are in a tough division. They have the same team as last year and couldn't get out of the sectional. What causes them to improve so much in one offseason and make a "long" run? I'd like to see UHS make it back to the Convo. I believe they've only made the trip once in the last 10-12 years? Have they won a game there since Hoops PLAYED? I really like their non-conference schedule and scrimmages. Good competition to get them prepared so.....I hope you're correct. Good luck to the Tanks!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

BillyHoyle42 wrote:
MRI13 wrote:I have to agree with you...Unioto is going to run people off the court this year. They definitely could field and entire other starting line up at another school. The amount of talent they have is unreal. If I were hoops I would run run run....with Overly and Strange they can flat out move...plus when one of your bigs is athletic as Erique is he is always going to win that race down the floor.

I believe Unioto is the favorite because as someone else noted they return a large percentage of their scoring. I question them making a long tourney run though. They are in a tough division. They have the same team as last year and couldn't get out of the sectional. What causes them to improve so much in one offseason and make a "long" run? I'd like to see UHS make it back to the Convo. I believe they've only made the trip once in the last 10-12 years? Have they won a game there since Hoops PLAYED? I really like their non-conference schedule and scrimmages. Good competition to get them prepared so.....I hope you're correct. Good luck to the Tanks!
Haven't won since 1995. Last trip before 2013 was 2001.

The big thing that benefits Unioto's chances to make a deeper run is the amount of talent that graduated from the District. Washington CH graduated 7-8 seniors, the "bulk" of Minford's team that knocked the Shermans out last year also has moved on. Then, in the next level, Warren and Logan Elm's teams were senior-laden clubs and even though they had no senior influence last year, Athens' best player transferred out.

I think those are some of the reasons that people think Unioto should make a big run, but the District is very tough still. They can't look past their opening SVC weekend of Paint Valley and Piketon or they will start off 0-2 in league play against a couple of very solid teams.

Return to “Boys Basketball”