SOC-I, SOC-II, thoughts, predictions

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

SOC-I, SOC-II, thoughts, predictions

Post by Ryanexpress »

Getting close to that time of year....

Haven't seen much posted on either of the SOC leagues....

Thoughts? Predictions?

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Re: SOC-I, SOC-II, thoughts, predictions

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

SOC 1 - Eastern
SOC 2 - Minford

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I think Eastern is the favorite in SOC 1 but look out for East,always tough to win there and they return a very good point guard and big man also real good shooter.Notre Dame will also be in the mix as will Western even without Garret.I believe it will between these 4 teams. Eastern is led by one of best players in area Josh Thacker and return all but 1 starter off last years championship team.

1.Eastern
2.East
3.NDame
4.Western
5.SValley
6.Clay
7.Green
8.New Boston

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The SOCII should be Minford's to lose, but I also heard Oak Hill got a couple transfers from Jackson that could help them out. As far as the SOCI, I do not know these teams nearly as well, but with East having their leading scorer back, a couple big guys, and a very experienced assistant coach joining the program, they could be dangerous.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

SOCII:

Minford
Valley
Oak Hill
Wheelersburg
Waverly
South Webster
Northwest
West

Believe minford the definite favorite, but Valley will be right there with them. Playoff runs in football for Valley and Burg might lead to slow starts. Webster will be young (likely starting 3-4 sophomores) but talented. Scarberry back at Northwest might get them higher on the list.

As for SOC I, I'll go east, beaver eastern, notre dame. East's size will cause SOC I teams serious matchup problems, and Akia Brown Jr. might be the best player in the league as a sophomore. *

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

In the SOC 1
Eastern - Thacker is one of the top players in southern Ohio
East - lots of size and the Brown kid is a budding star
Western - Returns the farm and new coach Kyle Miller has them playing impressive defense
Notre Dame - very well coached and super on the defensive end
Symmes Valley - lots of talent need to put it all together for 4 quarters
Clay - lost some good size and talent
New Boston - very young May start 3-4 freshman
Green - searching for a identity on the floor as to what style ball they are going to play

Last 3 are interchangeable. But for the very little it's worth those are my picks.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'm not sure how the league will end up, but key transfers will shake up both sides of the league.

West got a transfer in that may win SOC Player of the Year this season. I don't know his name or where he came from, but rumors are swirling he's AAU buddies with the Davis kid. My nephew showed me a video of him and wow, kid is the real deal. Anxious to hear how he ended up at West Portsmouth.

Also heard Minford was on the receiving end of a really good freshman, but not sure of name or how he will impact Varsity.

Symmes Valley lost their best two players - one to Ironton and one to South Point. That could really hurt them this season.

Hoping for a fun, competitive, injury free season for all SOC teams this year!

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

bbjunky81 wrote:I'm not sure how the league will end up, but key transfers will shake up both sides of the league.

West got a transfer in that may win SOC Player of the Year this season. I don't know his name or where he came from, but rumors are swirling he's AAU buddies with the Davis kid. My nephew showed me a video of him and wow, kid is the real deal. Anxious to hear how he ended up at West Portsmouth.

Also heard Minford was on the receiving end of a really good freshman, but not sure of name or how he will impact Varsity.

Symmes Valley lost their best two players - one to Ironton and one to South Point. That could really hurt them this season.

Hoping for a fun, competitive, injury free season for all SOC teams this year!
Are these transfers required to sit out half of the season? Thought I read that somewhere on OHSAA website that transfers that have played elsewhere are required to sit the first half of regular season games.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Several factors come into play on the transfers and whether they have to sit out half the season. If they are open enrollment or a move in, when the transfer took place, if they played a fall sport, etc. There is no clear cut/one size fits all rule. As of now, the freshman transfer is excluded from any rules, but that will change next year.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Bbjunky: don't know if true, but I heard that kid at west is ineligible this year and may end up elsewhere. If not, then they probably move up a few spots if he's as good as I hear.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

art_vandelay wrote:Bbjunky: don't know if true, but I heard that kid at west is ineligible this year and may end up elsewhere. If not, then they probably move up a few spots if he's as good as I hear.*
Interesting if so! I haven't heard much, just hear he's the real deal and living with the Head Coach (Davis).. If you're moving in with the Coach I'm not sure how that would make you eligible?

Waverly also got the Garrett kid from Western who averaged 20 ppg last year. Lot of movement in the league this year!

PullingGard
Waterboy

Post by PullingGard »

SOC 2

Minford
Valley
Waverly
Oak Hill
Wheelersburg
South Webster
Northwest
West

OUBobcat010
Waterboy

Post by OUBobcat010 »

I am definitely inclined to say Minford, it makes so much sense that'd it's crazy not to pick them. HOWEVER, valley I think will surprise because of the athleticism they bring! They probably won't be as disciplined or true "basketball" players like the past two years, but Rolfe alone...with an athletic combo of Howard and Brown is enough to run most teams out of the gym! They will struggle with size!! That said, until Minford shows me they can get over the hump and beat the Indians, I'll stick with them Lucasville boys!
.....it might be another ugly year for the rest of the league, but go Tigers! :lol:

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Tiger at Heart wrote:I am definitely inclined to say Minford, it makes so much sense that'd it's crazy not to pick them. HOWEVER, valley I think will surprise because of the athleticism they bring! They probably won't be as disciplined or true "basketball" players like the past two years, but Rolfe alone...with an athletic combo of Howard and Brown is enough to run most teams out of the gym! They will struggle with size!! That said, until Minford shows me they can get over the hump and beat the Indians, I'll stick with them Lucasville boys!
.....it might be another ugly year for the rest of the league, but go Tigers! :lol:
Not that it really matters, but I was just curious to when was the last time Minford beat Valley? Did they beat them the 2010-2011 season at minford?

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

I cant believe you have West in last place.Not gonna happen.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Even though Garrett is 18 and moved he has to sit half the season. Pretty screwed up!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

smurray wrote:Even though Garrett is 18 and moved he has to sit half the season. Pretty screwed up!
There's a lot of factors that go into that. Did he move into Waverly district? Who did he move in with? Do they have custody?

At the end of the day, I'm glad kids are punished for transferring. Unless the family moves in a different area for an occupation or other reasons that benefit the family/kid, I don't see how you don't punish a transfer. If you don't, you're opening up the flood gates for constant movement and a lot of upset parents who's kids have been in the school system for 10+ years.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bbjunky81 wrote:
smurray wrote:Even though Garrett is 18 and moved he has to sit half the season. Pretty screwed up!
There's a lot of factors that go into that. Did he move into Waverly district? Who did he move in with? Do they have custody?

At the end of the day, I'm glad kids are punished for transferring. Unless the family moves in a different area for an occupation or other reasons that benefit the family/kid, I don't see how you don't punish a transfer. If you don't, you're opening up the flood gates for constant movement and a lot of upset parents who's kids have been in the school system for 10+ years.
Yeah, not sure what him being 18 has to do with anything. You can't just have kids transferring constantly, so the rules are a good thing.

Did he move into the district or with the point guard during the week while still living with his family on weekends? I mean, that's never happened at Waverly before. Or possibly have an apartment in Waverly that his family "moved" into while still living in their original home (not the one they used for another school either)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

From what I heard he moved into the Waverly School District with his grandmother to help take care of her. And yes, if a young man or woman is a legal adult (18) and moves into the school district what is there to punish, just asking. I don't pretend to know all the rules but I believe some bad apples a few years ago ruined it for all those trying to do it right.
I also heard Garrett has to sit the first half of the baseball season, now explain how that is proper?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

bbjunky81 wrote:I'm not sure how the league will end up, but key transfers will shake up both sides of the league.

Too bad he's not eligible. I guess they missed the part that living with the coach doesn't establish a residence

Return to “Boys Basketball”