Gallia County basketball

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Gallia County basketball

Post by 4thnpine »

Shaping up to be a good season for all three teams.

South Gallia at 4-1 their only loss to Gallia Academy. If they can pick up 4-5 road wins they will win the Hocking division. From what I've seen so far the Rebels have to be considered the favorite in this race. Expect the Rebels to finish regular season with 16-17 wins this year.

River Valley currently 3-2 with their losses at Peake and a close loss to Oak Hill in a neutral site game. Look for Athens and Southeastern to be very tough games for the Raiders to win but all other games on the schedule appear to be winnable. Win your home games and pick up 3 TVC road wins the Raiders are looking at a second place finish in the conference. That would be their best conference finish since 2005 or 2006. RV could easily finish the regular season with 14-16 wins this year.

Gallia Academy 1-4 off to a slow start but losses to some pretty stout competition. Upcoming games against some teams they will/should beat. Look for GA to get turned around and finish 3rd in SEOAL behind Warren and Portsmouth. Expect GA to finish regular seasons with 12 wins.

Just my take through the first 5 games of the year. Those are best case scenarios but definitely not out of the question. Worst case I still see SG and RV finishing over 500 on the year with GA at or just below that mark.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Re: Gallia County basketball

Post by HoopsHotHead »

4thandpine.......I hope your prediction is accurate......RV is a team that returns everyone from last year except one senior, Sean Roberts........so they are a much improved team with shiploads of talent and depth....especially at the guard position, which we all know is the most important position come tourny time.....you have to have ball handlers and ft shoots down the stretch.......I personally think RV's season will hinge on the 3 point shooting %.........if they make their 3's, they will be a very tough out....if not, those 1 and done possessions can turn into lay-ups for the opposition.......but I agree with you, RV will be over .500 for the first time since Carl Wolfe, Joey James and Co. back in the late 1990's........and this years team should be able to bring home RV's 4th sectional title in the schools short history.....

As for SG, they have one of the areas best player in Braden Greer, and a seasoned coach in Larry Howell.....I look to see them at the Convo this year as well.....

And I dont know a thing about GA.......but I will be pulling for them as well

GO RAIDERS!!!

superman06
Riding the Bench

Post by superman06 »

[quote="4thnpine"]Shaping up to be a good season for all three teams.

South Gallia at 4-1 their only loss to Gallia Academy. If they can pick up 4-5 road wins they will win the Hocking division. From what I've seen so far the Rebels have to be considered the favorite in this race. Expect the Rebels to finish regular season with 16-17 wins this year.

River Valley currently 3-2 with their losses at Peake and a close loss to Oak Hill in a neutral site game. Look for Athens and Southeastern to be very tough games for the Raiders to win but all other games on the schedule appear to be winnable. Win your home games and pick up 3 TVC road wins the Raiders are looking at a second place finish in the conference. That would be their best conference finish since 2005 or 2006. RV could easily finish the regular season with 14-16 wins this year.

Gallia Academy 1-4 off to a slow start but losses to some pretty stout competition. Upcoming games against some teams they will/should beat. Look for GA to get turned around and finish 3rd in SEOAL behind Warren and Portsmouth. Expect GA to finish regular seasons with 12 wins.

Just my take through the first 5 games of the year. Those are best case scenarios but definitely not out of the question. Worst case I still see SG and RV finishing over 500 on the year with GA at or just below that mark.[/quote]

Portsmouth is now in the OVC so you can't count them in the conference standings.

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

SEOAL in football but OVC in basketball. I think they might be playing in both conferences this winter. Until I hear otherwise from a legitimate source we will go ahead
and count them in the standings.

hothead, if they don't reach those win totals would you think it would be a disappointing season?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

superman06 wrote:
4thnpine wrote:Shaping up to be a good season for all three teams.

Just my take through the first 5 games of the year. Those are best case scenarios but definitely not out of the question. Worst case I still see SG and RV finishing over 500 on the year with GA at or just below that mark.

Portsmouth is now in the OVC so you can't count them in the conference standings.

Portsmouth is still a member of the SEOAL until 2015 graduation.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

4thandpine........the answer to your ? is no.......I just want to see constant improvement all season and a trip to the convo..... I'd be happy with anything over .500 for RV and a tourny run.....spoil someones season......I would rather play as an underdog opposed to being a favorite any day.......being the favorite tends to take focus from the players effort in practice.....but I am very pleased with RV so far......

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

SG Will be strong !!! Come season end + with 6'7 just waiting !!! Unless at mid point they can't work with 6'7 THERE ???? Shine won't let that happen Good Coach!!! RV wow who is the Coach ??? There playing some good ball at this time should have a winning season !!! GA I still Don't know how in the hell you run 2 6'8 players off !!! OZ would of thought he was on the yellow brick road!!! lol 4-to 5 wins!!! JMO

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Re: Gallia County basketballh

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

They weren't "run off". Their parents simply think that their d1 prospects won't be noticed at Gallia Academy.

256pride
Riding the Bench

Post by 256pride »

I talked to the boys parents at the game the other night and they kept saying how happy they was with the coaching and how all the kids parents and everyone at the school just had such a better attitude than at the last place. Also how sg coaches were working with him to improve and that was something that really didn't happen before. I dont think anyone thought their kid was d1 but man everbody wants their kids to be happy and succesful dont they?

living in the hills
Waterboy

Post by living in the hills »

That boy at SG has somethin you cant teach period. Hope them coaches are working on his inside game out there. His time will come next year.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

he has to buy in first

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

78 hell they run everyone off any more , AD may be gone now???

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I had not heard that one, BBallin'. But I must say that is not much of a surprise anymore.

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

Gallipolis did run off their two big guys by playing a guard heavy offense. Why would you do that when you have two towers on your team? They just don't have the coaches to coach those boys into what they need to be. I think both family's made the right choice in transferring their kids out. Drenner loves it at SG, he's getting the right coaching on where his game needs to be. When he returns he will be a huge piece for the Rebels come tourney time.

living in the hills
Waterboy

Post by living in the hills »

Gallia needs to bench some of them boys to many with attitudes and dont wanna share the ball. They ain't gonna win if Harrison don't disipline them and stop this non sense.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Dont you think it might run just a little deeper than that Bidwell?

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

Olemanbidwell55 wrote:Gallia needs to bench some of them boys to many with attitudes and dont wanna share the ball. They ain't gonna win if Harrison don't disipline them and stop this non sense.
heck they jumped up and down when they beat big south gallia :mrgreen:

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Sounds like a place to stay away from.

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

4thnpine wrote:Shaping up to be a good season for all three teams.

3/4 way thru the season. here to give an update and share some thoughts.

SG 10-5/8-2 IMO should be at least 12-3 and possibly even 14-1 with only loss being at Trimble. OT home loss to RV and bad loss to FH (not saying FH isn't a ball club but you have to defend the home court). Still have Trimble, @ Southern, also Waterford and Wahama. Can they get to 15 wins? Not going to be easy. Still an outside shot at Hocking title but up hill battle. Playing for 2 seed in sectional. Definite district team this year.
Early season prediction; 17-5/16-6
Late season prediction; 15-7

RV 8-7/3-2 IMO should be 10-5 at this point. Close home loss to VC and bad home loss to FH (see statement from SG above). Still have Athens, @Athens, @VC, Alex, @NY. Not sure of other opponents (Wellston, Meigs maybe). Uphill battle to get to 500 overall. Looking at losing record and finishing bottom half of conference. Battling with Ironton and FH for 5 seen in sectional play. Have to win 2 to advance to district play but can and should be done.
Early season; 14-8/16-6
late season; 10-12

GA 3-15/0-5 Short and to the point. Very disappointing season for the Blue. Lack of perimeter shooting and team chemistry. Bad losses to Jackson, RH and Wellston off the top of my head. Try to pick up a couple wins to close the season and them surprise come tourney time.
Early season; 12-10
Late season; 4-18

JMO guys and gals

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

4thandpine......dont forget the 2pt loss to Oak Hill......RV should have won that one as well.....FH at home and VC at home.....they were tied with SE at half and got outscored by 30 in 2nd half of that game.......that's 4 games that were winable.....IMO.......

Peake twice and Alex once......those would be the losses that I could expect at this point.......RV will still be a dangerous team down the stretch......

GO RAIDERS!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”