Oak hill@Minford 1/13

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Re: Oak hill@Minford 1/13

Post by rockbiter »

Am I mistaken, or, is Minford a significantly bigger school (in enrollment) than Oak Hill. I don't know, but I always thought it was.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

Yes it is. This will help the oaks come tourney time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Stumblebum wrote:Am I mistaken, or, is Minford a significantly bigger school (in enrollment) than Oak Hill. I don't know, but I always thought it was.
They seems about the same size driving thru....but Minford is a small D2 and OH is a small D3

bluedude62
Varsity

Post by bluedude62 »

Gullion, a beast on the boards , had to set out this game. His replacement , Miller, did score 11 but is not as intense on rebounds,

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

Was Miller there leading scorer? Maybe he needs to start. He was the one knocking down the threes

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

oakfan wrote:Was Miller there leading scorer? Maybe he needs to start. He was the one knocking down the threes
That's because they were leaving him wide open; sure this is what Norm had in mind; as far as Minford being DII, they certainly are this year as they were last year. Their non-conference schedule has been great and they've only lost 2 games by a total of 4 points (to two of the better programs in Ohio in DII at Warren and Columbus Bishop Watterson at SSU). Oak Hill certainly had a great game plan but Minford was also very impatient and did not focus on getting the ball in the post until late. I suspect Minford will likely drop back to DIII next year since they were only 3 boys over the limit, not only making them one of the smallest DII programs in the state but also a likely candidate to drop back down next year. So, other programs that want to keep harping about this should take note of that. I also believe they will play a similar schedule next year so their competition level IF they drop to DIII will probably be better than most next year. The Miller kid did an admirable job filling in for Gullion and took quite a few shots to get his 11 points but Gullion was back for the Valley game and it showed as they topped Valley by 15.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

BBaller4Life wrote:Minford came out sluggish right from the start, probably from the boys being up too late watching the Buckeye's game, and they really never woke up. I think you will see a better game out of the Falcons when the game is played at Oak Hill. Yes, I know it will be a battle in Norm's House but I think they will be ready to play.
I was impressed by Oak Hill's Freshmen's play, they shoot the ball really well, but watching them be degraded by their coach when he pulled them off the floor each time just may break down their confidence, they seemed very nervous when they came to the bench (but that's another subject).
Though I don't really care for Norm's kind of play (a hundred passes per possession) it does seem to work for them. Everyone knows Norm plays a snail's pace game so you should be ready for a boring game on his side of the ball. The Falcon's will need to change the game plan next game and make Oak Hill play to our pace.

Glad to see the Falcon's come away with the win in this game and looking forward to a great game on Friday at Valley. :aaaaa26
pGlad all of the Oak Hill kids were Iin bed by 9 o'clock ,and didn't stay up to watch the game.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Falcon Fury wrote:
CCC wrote:it must be coaching. Minford has beaten Oak Hill 8 straight times and they have always been close games. And as I recall Oak Hill gave Valley a run for their money last year at valley and had a chance to win it from the free throw line and ended up losing by 2 points. The year before that Oak Hill beat valley twice Minford beat Oak Hill twice and Valley beat Minford twice. Point being is that Oak Hill plays the best teams each year to close games and every team cannot win by 20 each game their will be games that you have to grind it out and the Falcons had to this tonight and as good as Valley was last year they had to do the same last year. Norm does a good job no doubt but so does Shoemaker keeping his teams focus when things aren't going as planned. Minford could have easily folded but made solid plays when it counted.
Great post! I am proud of the Falcon players for making plays when they counted and pulling out the victory, even though they didn't have one of their best nights. That's what winners do...find a way to win. Very classless act by Norm screaming profanity at our AD/Super! What I don't understand is how the Oak Hill Board of Administration will continue to back him and keep him around. His kids are superb as well as his assistants.

Get focused Falcons, sure would be great to get another big win on Friday over the Indians!! GO FALCONS!!!

Some schools are way more worried about "winning" than anything else, as is the case here. Norm is obviously going to win games, and he extracts a ton out of what players he's given. But some of the things he does (both on and off the court) is definitely over the top, and people have continuously let it slide for years.

Much credit to the players at Oak Hill. They were clearly out manned last night and nearly pulled off the upset. Very solid job by the Oaks!

Why does Persin get away with this????????

Is Oak Hill Administrators and School Board that scared of this guy to where he can pull these shenanigans!

Shame on Oak Hill for allowing it to continue, yes continue, to happen.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

oakfan wrote:
BBaller4Life wrote:Minford came out sluggish right from the start, probably from the boys being up too late watching the Buckeye's game, and they really never woke up. I think you will see a better game out of the Falcons when the game is played at Oak Hill. Yes, I know it will be a battle in Norm's House but I think they will be ready to play.
I was impressed by Oak Hill's Freshmen's play, they shoot the ball really well, but watching them be degraded by their coach when he pulled them off the floor each time just may break down their confidence, they seemed very nervous when they came to the bench (but that's another subject).
Though I don't really care for Norm's kind of play (a hundred passes per possession) it does seem to work for them. Everyone knows Norm plays a snail's pace game so you should be ready for a boring game on his side of the ball. The Falcon's will need to change the game plan next game and make Oak Hill play to our pace.

Glad to see the Falcon's come away with the win in this game and looking forward to a great game on Friday at Valley. :aaaaa26
pGlad all of the Oak Hill kids were Iin bed by 9 o'clock ,and didn't stay up to watch the game.

Yea, the Falcons got to see two great wins!

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

http://ohiobkcoaches.com/records/boys-i ... reer-wins/

Check this out and you might find your answer. You only have to scroll down to #5.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Tubby wrote:http://ohiobkcoaches.com/records/boys-i ... reer-wins/

Check this out and you might find your answer. You only have to scroll down to #5.

I am not disputing that he wins. Good for him. But in the grand scheme of things Wins will do what in the long run for your kids. I would think Integrity, Honor, and teaching the Values would be a little bigger than a W. Just my opinion. Yes, Winning is important, but I think how one lives their lives and improves the lives of their players would be a little more important to schools and of course parents. But Hey, if Oak Hill is content with that then so be it. Just be prepared to hear a coach "curse" at the team, officials, and apparently other school administrators!!!

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

Coach Persin does an incredible job of instilling values in his players and students. He may swear and be intense which in our soft society is akin to murder, but practically all of his players love the man for life. His influence goes well beyond BB. Values like the importance of hard work and loyalty are why he is successful. I would choose Coach Persin to coach my son over any other area coach. He may be abrasive, but that does not take away from his accomplishments and the positive influence he has had on thousands of students over the years.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Dean,
That is the most knowledgeable and insightful post on this thread. It is incredible how people on the outside think they know the story behind Oak Hill Basketball because of what they see. The truth is Coach Persin instills plenty of positive values in his players and they all play hard for him. The only people upset with his coaching style are the people on the other side.

Falcon Fury
Freshman Team

Post by Falcon Fury »

Dean wrote:Coach Persin does an incredible job of instilling values in his players and students. He may swear and be intense which in our soft society is akin to murder, but practically all of his players love the man for life. His influence goes well beyond BB. Values like the importance of hard work and loyalty are why he is successful. I would choose Coach Persin to coach my son over any other area coach. He may be abrasive, but that does not take away from his accomplishments and the positive influence he has had on thousands of students over the years.
Using profanity towards an AD/Superintendent does not teach kids good values. It teaches kids to be disrespectful. That's exactly what Norm is...disrespectful. There was an incident last year at the Minford game as well, where one of his assistants was talking to Jared McCray after the game at Oak Hill and wishing him luck with his football scholarship. Norm pulled his coach to the locker room and told him not to talk to Jared (with a few choice words in between). That's terrible sportsmanship! I'd think twice before I'd say he's a positive influence to kids. I believe in the importance of hard work and loyalty, but I do not believe in teaching kids to have such a filthy mouth and poor sportsmanship! I know a lot of coaches that are intense but you don't see them acting like fools. He's sure giving Oak Hill a reputation and if that's what makes the Board of Administration happy, it says a lot about the character of the board.

Troy
Freshman Team

Post by Troy »

This thread is getting deep.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Persin probably has more wins than Minford boy's basketball has in the history of their school. Enough said.

CCC
Riding the Bench

Post by CCC »

If he has 1,002 wins then you would be correct. as a matter of fact the 1,000 win came against him the other evening.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

Falcon Fury wrote:
Dean wrote:Coach Persin does an incredible job of instilling values in his players and students. He may swear and be intense which in our soft society is akin to murder, but practically all of his players love the man for life. His influence goes well beyond BB. Values like the importance of hard work and loyalty are why he is successful. I would choose Coach Persin to coach my son over any other area coach. He may be abrasive, but that does not take away from his accomplishments and the positive influence he has had on thousands of students over the years.
Using profanity towards an AD/Superintendent does not teach kids good values. It teaches kids to be disrespectful. That's exactly what Norm is...disrespectful. There was an incident last year at the Minford game as well, where one of his assistants was talking to Jared McCray after the game at Oak Hill and wishing him luck with his football scholarship. Norm pulled his coach to the locker room and told him not to talk to Jared (with a few choice words in between). That's terrible sportsmanship! I'd think twice before I'd say he's a positive influence to kids. I believe in the importance of hard work and loyalty, but I do not believe in teaching kids to have such a filthy mouth and poor sportsmanship! I know a lot of coaches that are intense but you don't see them acting like fools. He's sure giving Oak Hill a reputation and if that's what makes the Board of Administration happy, it says a lot about the character of the board.

Well said!

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

I did not realize there were so many whiners representing Minford on SEOPS.

Falcon Fury
Freshman Team

Post by Falcon Fury »

Dean wrote:I did not realize there were so many whiners representing Minford on SEOPS.
Since you went there...I think you mean winners! Just to clarify...Minford = winners of the game and Whiners = Oak fans crying about the call with 1.0 seconds left and/or Norm cursing at our administration.

Just to clarify my earlier comments. I am just concerned by the profanity used by Norm towards the Minford administration following the game. There are a lot of young children that see this behavior and it is not something I appreciate my children witnessing.

The matchup on Feb.13 will be an interesting one. Hoping to see Minford get the 9th straight win against the Oaks. GO FALCONS!

Return to “Boys Basketball”