12. Westfall
13. Northwest
14. Huntington

*sorry. Didn't notice someone had done posted

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: D3 Waverly Sectional

Post by biggdowgg »

trojandave wrote:I'm curious as to whether the coaches will vote before Portsmouth plays at Warren on Friday night. It could be a huge game for seeding if PHS wins.

coaches was on phones texting and calling Thursday so you can bet most of this was done way before Fridays games :mrgreen:

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

eagles73 wrote:Who in your opinion got the shaft?
Thought Portsmouth would get the 1 seed. I'd be interested to see how the votes went. Hard for PHS to get votes with no league votes. What quality wins does Valley have? I wish the two Scioto County rivals would've squared off during the season. I don't believe both will make it to Regional Final. Good luck to all teams.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

BillyHoyle42 wrote:
eagles73 wrote:Who in your opinion got the shaft?
Thought Portsmouth would get the 1 seed. I'd be interested to see how the votes went. Hard for PHS to get votes with no league votes. What quality wins does Valley have? I wish the two Scioto County rivals would've squared off during the season. I don't believe both will make it to Regional Final. Good luck to all teams.
Valley beat

Waverly #4 Piketon
Jackson #2 Alexander

Of valleys 4 losses, only 1 was a bad loss... EARLY season vs West. (Later defeated West)
Other losses: 18-0 unioto, 17-2 Minford, Harvest Prep.

Valley also has wins over Oak Hill x2, Ironton.

ddp
Riding the Bench

Post by ddp »

neither valley or Portsmouth can beat zane trace so seedings go out the window in this weak bracket.]
]
]
Ironton was not good until they the transfer was able to play <when they beat Portsmouth> Jackson 0 wins in 2 years EVERYONE is killing them not sure how many wins waverly has but im sure not many. ]]

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

baitbuster wrote:neither valley or Portsmouth can beat zane trace so seedings go out the window in this weak bracket.]
]
]
Ironton was not good until they the transfer was able to play <when they beat Portsmouth> Jackson 0 wins in 2 years EVERYONE is killing them not sure how many wins waverly has but im sure not many. ]]
So who has Zane Trace beat that you are so sure that Valley or Portsmouth cant beat Zane Trace ...?

For the Kids
Freshman Team

Post by For the Kids »

Zane Trace has losses to Circleville, Unioto, Peebles, Westfall, Southeastern and Lynchburg Clay. They still have Unioto and Paint Valley to play. Most of their wins are against teams that are a little above .500 or less. ZT's top wins would be against Vinton County (14-7) and Paint Valley (13-7). Their record is 14-6.

I think the seeding is correct except for maybe Portsmouth the #1 seed.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Im not saying Valley did or didn't deserve the 1 seed, the 1 or 2 can usually go either way, so I wasn't shocked Valley was the 1, and I wouldn't have been if they were the 2. Someone simply asked who they have beaten that's noteworthy, so I posted a few teams.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

After Portsmouth posted a 16-6 regular season record, several things stand out as the Trojans head into tournament play:

1. The defense and rebounding of Alex Dickerson
2. The emergence of Ethan Leonard as a legitimate scorer and defender
3. Sky Oliver returning to prime form
4. Kyre Allison's unselfish play getting everyone involved
5. Kendall Reynolds 3 point shot returning the last several games

Portsmouth lost 3 games by 5 points or less to #2 Warren(D2) and #11 Logan (D1)......they did win at Logan. They also lost to #9 Chillicothe (D1) (all 3 are pfloyd's rankings). The Trojans split with Ironton and Chesapeake, the only 2 D3 teams to defeat them. They swept two good OVC schools, Fairland and Coal Grove.

PHS has a history of being a very tough out in the tourney. Incredibly, PHS in 2009 lost to North Adams 77-75 in OT at the Waverly sectional, to Valley in 2010 63-62 at Jackson, 45-42 in 2013 on Wheelersburg's Dylan Miller hitting a 3 pointer at the buzzer at Jackson, and last year 58-55 to Valley on Chris Flowers' 3 pointer at the buzzer in the district championship at the Convo. Of course in 2011 and 2012 the Trojans advanced to the Final 4.

Portsmouth needs to win the district championship to secure the 1,400th win in school history (Present record 1,397--744). Currently PHS is 8th on the all-time wins list in Ohio.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

trojandave wrote:After Portsmouth posted a 16-6 regular season record, several things stand out as the Trojans head into tournament play:

1. The defense and rebounding of Alex Dickerson
2. The emergence of Ethan Leonard as a legitimate scorer and defender
3. Sky Oliver returning to prime form
4. Kyre Allison's unselfish play getting everyone involved
5. Kendall Reynolds 3 point shot returning the last several games

Portsmouth lost 3 games by 5 points or less to #2 Warren(D2) and #11 Logan (D1)......they did win at Logan. They also lost to #9 Chillicothe (D1) (all 3 are pfloyd's rankings). The Trojans split with Ironton and Chesapeake, the only 2 D3 teams to defeat them. They swept two good OVC schools, Fairland and Coal Grove.

PHS has a history of being a very tough out in the tourney. Incredibly, PHS in 2009 lost to North Adams 77-75 in OT at the Waverly sectional, to Valley in 2010 63-62 at Jackson, 45-42 in 2013 on Wheelersburg's Dylan Miller hitting a 3 pointer at the buzzer at Jackson, and last year 58-55 to Valley on Chris Flowers' 3 pointer at the buzzer in the district championship at the Convo. Of course in 2011 and 2012 the Trojans advanced to the Final 4.

Portsmouth needs to win the district championship to secure the 1,400th win in school history (Present record 1,397--744). Currently PHS is 8th on the all-time wins list in Ohio.
Seems like Portsmouth and Valley always get after it when they meet. I'd love to see them play regular season games!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

chicken coop: Valley and Portsmouth have had some great tournament games. In 2012, PHS won the district championship with a 54-50 win over Valley, a game in which the Indians lost a 9 point lead with 5 minutes left in the game. In the 2010 game, Zack Utley hit a 3 pointer with about 5 seconds to go for a 63-62 win.

Valley fans may disagree, but I think the 2012 Valley team was better than the 2014 Valley squad that advanced to the regional final. The 2012 Indians team had every starter 6-3 and over, with Blake Yates being a terrific point guard, and a strong bench to complement, with Hayden Dunn as the 6th man. The length of that Valley team was tough for Portsmouth to overcome. Seeing the Trojans advance to the Final 4 after beating that 2012 Valley team also speaks very highly of those Indians.

Curious that in even numbered years 2010, 2012, and 2014 Valley and Portsmouth have met in the tourney. This being 2015 it probably won't happen if one believes in number stats like that one.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

baitbuster wrote:neither valley or Portsmouth can beat zane trace so seedings go out the window in this weak bracket.]
]
]
With the performance of Zane Trace tonight against Unioto 79-39 loss you might want to rephrase your comment...

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I just want to see my Streaks in the Convo again!

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

Burg got the draw of the century for an 11 seed. Lynchburg Clay lost their best player. Then has to play Zane Trace who they can beat. Can Burg get anymore lucky???

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

buzzkillington wrote:Burg got the draw of the century for an 11 seed. Lynchburg Clay lost their best player. Then has to play Zane Trace who they can beat. Can Burg get anymore lucky???
You should change your name to theuglytruth!!!!

Captain Morgan
Waterboy

Post by Captain Morgan »

buzzkillington wrote:Burg got the draw of the century for an 11 seed. Lynchburg Clay lost their best player. Then has to play Zane Trace who they can beat. Can Burg get anymore lucky???
I agree and we've underachieved anyway so we will turn it on in tournaments and definitely win the Sectional. Lynchburg won't be any good without their best player and Zane Trace? Lol you saw what we did to them last year.

Anyone know if Harvest Christian Academy has any openings next year? Heard we have an open slot.

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

I think Harvest does have an opening

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Burgpirater wrote:
I agree and we've underachieved anyway so we will turn it on in tournaments and definitely win the Sectional. Lynchburg won't be any good without their best player and Zane Trace? Lol you saw what we did to them last year.

Anyone know if Harvest Christian Academy has any openings next year? Heard we have an open slot.
Better not underestimate Lynchburg.

Return to “Boys Basketball”