Athens last two games...

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Re: Athens last two games...

Post by HoopsHotHead »

.....knowing is sometimes not a good thing......so sorry to hear this.....I thought coach Skinner deserved this season.......best of luck to him moving forward......
Last edited by HoopsHotHead on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Athens is a great ball club. Their only down fall is depth. 4 strong ballers but let one get in foul trouble especially Lutz and they will have trouble with a good team. Good luck to them in the tournament run.

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

hoopshothead wrote:Skinner is the HS equivalent to Joe Pa.........thats all i will say.........knowing is sometimes not a good thing......so sorry to hear this.....I thought coach Skinner deserved this season.......best of luck to him moving forward......
I've heard the opposite.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

In my opinion, this is a witch-hunt. I have known Coach Skinner for 30 plus years, there are some things that could be said about the man, but criminal, conspirator, or accomplice is not one of them. Somebody figured the time was right considering the current environment to over turn every rock trying to further their own agenda. I believe that when Coach Skinner is found non-culpable, hopefully, he will be able to keep his teaching job and begin mending his reputation and leave the coaching ranks behind. For Athens basketball, after this great class graduates will have some lean years coming and he does not need or deserve the future heartache.
Last edited by hawkeyepierce on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I would say you pretty much nailed it Hawkeye. So many of the posts above are nothing but speculation. If you don't have facts why not wait until results of investigation are released and then make your comments.

Can't believe this topic has not been deleted. I didn't think rumors were allowed on this site. Where are the moderators?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

hawkeyepierce wrote:In my opinion, this is a witch-hunt. I have known Coach Skinner for 30 plus years, there are some things that could be said about the man, but criminal, conspirator, or accomplice is not one of them. Somebody figured the time was right considering the current environment to over turn every rock trying to further their own agenda. I believe that when Coach Skinner is found non-culpable, hopefully, he will be able to keep his teaching job and begin mending his reputation and leave the coaching ranks behind. For Athens basketball, after this great class graduates will have some lean years coming and he does not need or deserve the future heartache.
Agreed.

Knowing nothing of this situation besides the clear rumors, I'll be watching this closely from here on out. No more speculation or rumors.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Hopefully my comments are not taken in the wrong context......I have know Jeff for over tens years and I also think this is a witch-hunt.......I was just repeating the rumors I had heard as well......they were spoken to me by a member of the Athens County community last friday........I want nothing but the best for coach Skinner.......I thought of all the times for this to happen, a year when his team could and should make a run in the tourny.......sad.............

Again, my comments were in support........from what I have heard, he is being accused by association.....not involvement......

sorry if my comments offended anyone.....

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Good news. Athens Messenger states that Coach Skinner has been cleared of all allegations against him (per the sheriff's investigation). I'm with Hawkeye on this one. I have known Coach for a long time and he's a great person. Glad that the witch-hunt proved fruitless to those behind this.

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Athens messenger posts "Skinner cleared on all allegations......!!!"

Great news!!!............hope to see him at the convo and beyond this year!!!

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Now that is good news. Nothing is more important than a good name. I am glad coach Skinner has been cleared.
Last edited by spartans_fan on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Athens coach Skinner cleared of allegations
• Story

Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 12:44 pm | Updated: 1:50 pm, Tue Feb 17, 2015.
Athens coach Skinner cleared of allegationsBy SARAH HAWLEY Messenger Staff Journalist
Allegations brought against the Athens High School varsity boys basketball coach have been determined to be "unfounded" by an investigation by the Athens County Sheriff's Office.
According to a news release from the sheriff's office, Athens County Children Services received three separate, anonymous complaints on Feb. 9 regarding Jeff Skinner, who is also a teacher at the middle school. . Those complaints were forwarded to the sheriff's office for investigation.
Detectives assigned to the case met with Skinner, witnesses and associated individuals, as well as searching digital devices for the purpose of the investigation.
"Everything was unfounded," said acting Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith of the allegations against Skinner.
Smith would not disclose the nature of the investigation.
"Through a thorough investigation, it was found that no inappropriate contact or communication ... by Jeff Skinner (took place) in any way," the release stated.
The investigation has been closed as has the investigation conducted by Athens City Schools.
"The Athens City School District did conduct an investigation and came to the same conclusions as the sheriff's department," stated acting Supt. Tom Gibbs via email on Tuesday. "Obviously, detectives have the ability to search phones and take other actions that are more thorough than an investigation which we can conduct internally. We appreciate the professional manner in which the sheriff's department handled this concern and look forward to our continued work together to assure that we are monitoring and responding to any allegations in an effort to assure a safe and secure learning environment for our students."
Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn stated that his office has not been involved in the investigation and has not been forwarded any case files regarding Skinner.
Skinner has been on sick leave from the district since Feb. 10 at his request.
"I met with Mr. Skinner this morning. He is returning from sick leave immediately and will be coaching at the next practice and should be back to his teaching position tomorrow (Wednesday) morning," stated Gibbs.
Skinner could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Scary that someone can make an anonymous call and put an innocent person and there family through that.
Even though he is cleared his record will be tainted somewhat.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Post by Alexander hitman »

Good to hear ... So HH did jump the gun again based in rumors.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Yep. And there should be repercussions because of the unsubstantiated reporting that is obviously false.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Alexander Hitman wrote:Good to hear ... So HH did jump the gun again based in rumors.
All Hardwood Hero said was Athens was without their head coach
And the athletic department had named Chuck Roberson interim coach. and that was true.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

http://www.athensmessenger.com/news/ath ... 4.facebook

As I stated. Jeff can be a lot of things, but never nefarious, with malice, or have a blatant disregard for those around him, his family, and his community. Good luck my friend in the tournament and especially rebuilding your reputation.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

anonymous reports us what bothers me. However with the current issue's going on at AHS and other schools if they wouldn't have followed up on them and something came to light a year or two down the road then all H would be raised for not looking into it. The other issue is that now for many opinions have been formed and that very sad. It's a no win situation for everyone, especially the accused who is cleared and their families.

Alexander hitman
Varsity

I guess they are in clear then ... HH that is. Lol

Alexander hitman
Varsity

Yes anonymous reports are very scary.. They do have to look into it but for the accused it could be a nightmare. In his case id say he will be fine.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

It's kind of ironic how people hate anonymous reports are hiding behind anonymous names lol
Last edited by Super trooper on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”