Has the three pointer killed basketball?

anderson2012
JV Team

Re: Has the three pointer killed basketball?

Post by anderson2012 »

Grinder wrote:I think the three point shot should be out lawed at the grade school level. I think that is where it is hurting shooting skills. Kids aren't strong enough to shoot a three at that level with any form on their shot. Go to a grade school game and watch kids warm up they stand behind the three point line and launch shots with all they can to get it there. They are not learning how to shoot with any form what so ever. The three has been mastered by some high school players and made the game exciting on the other side of the argument. An example say Warren was down 3 last year with not much time. Who wouldn't think French had a high % of making a three to tie the game. I can see both sides of the argument but I do think it hurts in the lower levels where kids aren't strong enough to shoot it with any form. I think scoring was higher in the old days because teams got after it and pressed and ran the ball. There wasn't a lot of walking the ball down the floor in those days.
For every few schools whose kids aren't shooting the ball right, there are many agrarian "do-it-right" communities in western and northern Ohio, as well as Indiana, that are teaching their kids how to shoot right from any range under any pressure.

Outlawing the zone defense is a cop out for those who can't coach, in my opinion.

Charge
Varsity

Post by Charge »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Its like anything in life, u have fat old white guys making the rules for kids that have no idea the game is way faster and played above the rim. The old generation has destroyed the college game. Virginia is embarrassing to watch
LMAO Who do you think invented basketball?

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

formerfcfan wrote:
Grinder wrote:I think the three point shot should be out lawed at the grade school level. I think that is where it is hurting shooting skills. Kids aren't strong enough to shoot a three at that level with any form on their shot. Go to a grade school game and watch kids warm up they stand behind the three point line and launch shots with all they can to get it there. They are not learning how to shoot with any form what so ever. The three has been mastered by some high school players and made the game exciting on the other side of the argument. An example say Warren was down 3 last year with not much time. Who wouldn't think French had a high % of making a three to tie the game. I can see both sides of the argument but I do think it hurts in the lower levels where kids aren't strong enough to shoot it with any form. I think scoring was higher in the old days because teams got after it and pressed and ran the ball. There wasn't a lot of walking the ball down the floor in those days.
For every few schools whose kids aren't shooting the ball right, there are many agrarian "do-it-right" communities in western and northern Ohio, as well as Indiana, that are teaching their kids how to shoot right from any range under any pressure.

Outlawing the zone defense is a cop out for those who can't coach, in my opinion.

What has happened to reading comprehension?

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Grinder wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:

What has happened to reading comprehension?
Just bolded the point I was referring to, you literary mastermind you.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

I don't think the 3 point shot has hurt the game as much as lack of interest, poor coaching and parenting has. I, as well as many others I know, played in the 60's, 70's, even some in the 80's. I was 6' tall in 7th grade, but was only taught to post up and box out. After that, I never grew another inch. Basically I had to learn all over again how to play by working on ball handling, mid range shooting and closing out on defense. I swore that when I started coaching nearly 40 years ago, I would make sure EVERY kid would have to learn all the fundamentals I could possibly get them to learn. That is discipline in a nut shell. Basketball as a whole today has somewhat better athletes, playing a more aggressive defensive game, but also less disciplined on the offensive end settling sometimes for the first unchallenged shot. The best team offense for man to man ever, still is the pick and roll. For zone it's penetrate, distribute to shooter(s) for me. Ask yourself next time you watch a game at any level, are the teams playing a disciplined offense, or defense? I do agree however the 3 should not be a part of biddy ball, it just messes up technique for almost all the kids at that age.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

I think the lack of good officiating has also hurt the game. The traveling and palming the ball is horrible and the so-called jump stop is a discrace to the game.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

defenses being allowed to mug the offense is what holds scores down. not the 3 . The way the game is called these days is what makes for ugly BB.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

ManitouDan wrote:defenses being allowed to mug the offense is what holds scores down. not the 3 . The way the game is called these days is what makes for ugly BB.
Have we been watching the same game? :-D If anything, it's the constant whistle of games for a ticky tack foul. I've seen games this year that have had at least 40 fouls called in the game. Typical Society, let's blame things that people can't control!! How about blaming kids for not working on their game! NOPE, it's not Johnnies fault for not being able to shoot, it's the stinkin refs fault!!! :lol: :lol:

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

I think the thing to blame is just the fact that sports in general have evolved. So much more emphasis in put on how atheltic you are as opposed to skill. College coaches recruit your length and vertical more so than your jumpshot these days. Don't hold your breath on basketball following football and recruiting players as an " athlete" instead of by an actual position. I think the 3pt line has nothing to do with changes in scoring, I actually like it and think it adds a layer to the game and makes it much more interesting from a coaching, fan and players side. The fact is kids are more athletic and less fundamentally sound because it matters more to be a freak athlete than it does to have incredible ball handling skills. John Wooden or Red Auerbach probably couldn't tell you much about a players vertical or how well his lateral movement is and they could probably have cared less about it. Things were more fundamental and team oriented in the past. If you want a solution make your kids go out and handle the ball and shoot on a regular basis or host fundamentals/skills camps in your area cause that's about the best any of us are going to do. The game has just changed and we're all going to have to live with it.

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

buckeyes911 wrote:Some kids and parents should be thankful for the 3 point line, js
Your right we have a couple at eastern one shoots it weather he has 2 or 3 guys on him we have another that stands in corner and claps his hands during offensive set

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

No the ticky-tick fouls kill the game of basketball with all the stoppages of play. Timeouts should only be allowed after a stoppage of play. They should put boards with 10 feet tall plexiglass up around the court, and allow body checking, it would make for a much more interesting game.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

The three-pointer effectively took the science out of the game. They should offer a "four-pointer" if you make one from behind the center line. That would finish the game off, for good.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

"Outlawing the zone defense is a cop out for those who can't coach, in my opinion."

I will agree with that observation. There are times when the zone is the best defense for the situation.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Stumblebum wrote:The three-pointer effectively took the science out of the game. They should offer a "four-pointer" if you make one from behind the center line. That would finish the game off, for good.
Hey, why not a five pointer for shot just inside the gym door?

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Stumblebum wrote:"Outlawing the zone defense is a cop out for those who can't coach, in my opinion."

I will agree with that observation. There are times when the zone is the best defense for the situation.
I guess that's why they use it in the pros....not learn to guard,oh that might take some skill we can't have that can we

Return to “Boys Basketball”