Best basketball player in Southeast Ohio right now!?

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Re: Best basketball player in Southeast Ohio right now!?

Post by sportslifelove »

Isn't Swingle a soph? I agree it will be tougher once McCloy (who is very good) and some others are gone but one thing you can't teach is size! I hope the young man continues to develop and does play D1 ball just as I would cheer for any player from SE Ohio.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

danicalifornia wrote:
[b]danicalifornia[/b] wrote:I know they have. Huggins flew in to watch him at Unioto early on too. On top of multiple other coaches as well.[/b]

Is anyone else confused here? Did danicalifornia just give two posts that are polar opposites?
[/quote]

It was on purpose. It seems to me that some feel like they know who can play at the D1 level better than major college coaches. I doubt Huggy Bear would've made multiple flights in if the kid couldn't play or wasn't coordinated enough to. One trip would have been enough for now for him and OSU. There's going to be games where Swingle struggles, as there are with most freshman, but he's a 6'9 (and growing) kid who has great hands and can run smoothly. His post game will continue to evolve and he shoots the mid range jumper very well for a kid at his size. The biggest worry I have for him is starting his junior year when they are low on talent around him to get him the ball.[/quote]

Was this a criticism of my assessment or someone else's? The spectical of a 6'9" freshman will draw college coaches in the hopes that they can say they were on the trail early if their game develops to match their physical assets. i.e Vinny Zollo. There are plenty of 6'8"-6'9" players at all levels of the college game. Nobody will know where he will end up until probably his junior season when some of that progression starts to be more apparent.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

sportslifelove wrote:Isn't Swingle a soph? I agree it will be tougher once McCloy (who is very good) and some others are gone but one thing you can't teach is size! I hope the young man continues to develop and does play D1 ball just as I would cheer for any player from SE Ohio.
Swingle is a freshman.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Beau Justice.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

[quote="jonboy2345"]I have seen a lot of great players in Southeastern Ohio and what are your guys thoughts on who the best basketball player is in southeastern Ohio?
I would say Beau Justice[/quote]

Jonboy you might wanna use a different name than you use on Twitter if you're gonna lie about how old you are lol.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… I am NOT a scout and don't profess to know D1 College talent BUT as they say you can't coach height Dylan Swingle for PV WILL PLAY somewhere in D1 when he is done … legitimate 6-9 (and growing as he is only a freshman) … he is sturdy with the body that can put on muscle and weight … I agree with daniC that Swingle has great hands, has a nice shot from the FT line where he will be living in his high school career … he showed me a 12-15 jump shot … I thought he had outstanding footwork for a freshman of his size … and I saw him take and make a nice hook shot … the young man has incredible UP side imo … Dylan Swingle is on my D1 player radar …

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Swingle? He may be a D1 prospect because of his height but is far from the current best player in SE Ohio. As far as the future to play, Actually Play, he needs quicker foot speed and a consistent outside shot, layups for a minimally athletic 6'9" player are few in D1. He has 2 years to improve.

rockbiter
Freshman Team

Post by rockbiter »

Justice could not play at Xavier or Morehead, unless it would be as a spot player. He is an excellent small-school player. Not division 1. West Liberty was a good choice. He can be a standout at that level. How many small-school players do you know who starred on a division 1 power? Remember that the opposing players in division 1 schools are far bigger and far quicker than anyone you see in small schools. But, there is no question that he is a terrific shooter.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Stumblebum wrote:Justice could not play at Xavier or Morehead, unless it would be as a spot player. He is an excellent small-school player. Not division 1. West Liberty was a good choice. He can be a standout at that level. How many small-school players do you know who starred on a division 1 power? Remember that the opposing players in division 1 schools are far bigger and far quicker than anyone you see in small schools. But, there is no question that he is a terrific shooter.
I don't think anyone suggested he could play in the Big East. He is undersized for a 2 and not the athlete that many of those guys are. He will probably play as much point as SG at the college level. I will disagree about Morehead though. West Liberty at their best would beat many lower level D1s I have seen play in years past. The distinction between the top of the sport in D2, or even NAIA D1 for that matter, and lower levels of D1 isn't as stark as you are making it seem. I think this is a mute point however considering the topic of the thread, nobody in the district this year will go D1 with the possible exception of only Hall(though I have not heard anything beyond him taking a few visits, just as Beau did).
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

pfloyd wrote:… I am NOT a scout and don't profess to know D1 College talent BUT as they say you can't coach height Dylan Swingle for PV WILL PLAY somewhere in D1 when he is done … legitimate 6-9 (and growing as he is only a freshman) … he is sturdy with the body that can put on muscle and weight … I agree with daniC that Swingle has great hands, has a nice shot from the FT line where he will be living in his high school career … he showed me a 12-15 jump shot … I thought he had outstanding footwork for a freshman of his size … and I saw him take and make a nice hook shot … the young man has incredible UP side imo … Dylan Swingle is on my D1 player radar …

Potential is definitely something that he has in abundance.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

LoL Justice could play for many D1 schools ., not UK or Oregon etc. but Definitely NKU, wright state, Liberty, Kent etc. . How much? but he'd make it. I never hear about the athletic D1 kid that flunks out or stabs someone. I only hear the Hype leading up to him going D1. There's tens of thousands of them with no degree or even jobs walking the streets sayin "one time I scored 36 in the championships game" SMH I think the Justice kid will graduate and b fine.

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

sportslifelove wrote:Just my opinion on the Top 10 in no particular order

Michael Hall (Warren) Great size, can play many positions and very skilled as well as a great athlete

Joe Burrow (Athens) Superb overall athlete with tremendous strength, his future is in football however as we know

Kyrie Allison (Portsmouth) Great speed and athleticism and can score MANY ways

Beau Justice (Peebles) Absolute scoring machine, best shooter in SE Ohio and maybe the whole state.

Brayden Greer (South Gallia) Best true PG and passer in SE Ohio, tremendous court vision

Ryan Brown (Valley) Tremendous length and scores with both hands while capable of playing 4 positions

Bryan Rolfe (Valley) Good size and a leader that can score inside and outside

Tristen Wolfe (Southern) Best defender in SE Ohio with a motor that never stops and underrated scorer and rebounder

Tommy Bolte (Chillicothe) Overall talented player that can score at will, dealt with an injury early and came back strong

Kenton Gullion (Minford) Leads a very good team in nearly every category, very solid overall player

Honorable mentions: Michael Davis (west), Sky Oliver (Portsmouth), Micah Couch (Trimble), Griffin Lutz (Athens), Nick Corcoran (Unioto), Josh Thacker (Eastern)
Brayden Greer (South Gallia) Best true PG and passer in SE Ohio, tremendous court vision
WOW!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Better than the PG from Chesapeake??? ......

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I think a lot of people in this area dont understand the dynamics of what it takes to be DI in any sport. The first thing colleges look at is do you fit the mold physically. Height, weight, speed, strength, room for physical growth etc. Next is skill, you can be the best shooter in the area, but if you are 5'10" the odds of going DI are almost zero. If you fit the mold physically and talent, then they look at your family life and character. Look at Kretzer from Waverly, do you think he would be playing at Akron if he were 6'1 or 6'2" instead of 6'6"?

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

Bevo wrote:
sportslifelove wrote:Just my opinion on the Top 10 in no particular order

Michael Hall (Warren) Great size, can play many positions and very skilled as well as a great athlete

Joe Burrow (Athens) Superb overall athlete with tremendous strength, his future is in football however as we know

Kyrie Allison (Portsmouth) Great speed and athleticism and can score MANY ways

Beau Justice (Peebles) Absolute scoring machine, best shooter in SE Ohio and maybe the whole state.

Ryan Brown (Valley) Tremendous length and scores with both hands while capable of playing 4 positions

Bryan Rolfe (Valley) Good size and a leader that can score inside and outside

Tristen Wolfe (Southern) Best defender in SE Ohio with a motor that never stops and underrated scorer and rebounder

Tommy Bolte (Chillicothe) Overall talented player that can score at will, dealt with an injury early and came back strong

Kenton Gullion (Minford) Leads a very good team in nearly every category, very solid overall player

Honorable mentions: Michael Davis (west), Sky Oliver (Portsmouth), Micah Couch (Trimble), Griffin Lutz (Athens), Nick Corcoran (Unioto), Josh Thacker (Eastern)
WOW!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Better than the PG from Chesapeake??? ......
Feel free to put together your own list my friend.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

eagles73 wrote:I think a lot of people in this area dont understand the dynamics of what it takes to be DI in any sport. The first thing colleges look at is do you fit the mold physically. Height, weight, speed, strength, room for physical growth etc. Next is skill, you can be the best shooter in the area, but if you are 5'10" the odds of going DI are almost zero. If you fit the mold physically and talent, then they look at your family life and character. Look at Kretzer from Waverly, do you think he would be playing at Akron if he were 6'1 or 6'2" instead of 6'6"?
Which is exactly my point. Most of the time if you are given two point guards, one with who is 6'3"/great athlete and one who is 6'/ok athlete, the 6'3" kid will take the scholarship 9 times out of 10 even if he is not quite as skilled as the other point. The 6'3" player has the higher upside. Just because Beau is not going D1 does not mean he doesn't have a division 1 skill-set. This is the factor that gets coaches on the trail of someone like Swingle early as well. They will watch him like a hawk over the next couple seasons to see if he has the ability to make strides from where he is currently. If little improvement is seen he will more than likely go the small school route. I.e Patrick Bias/Jon Sewell(who were both 6'10"). I for one would love to see someone from the southeast playing at the High Major level again so I hope he makes it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”