Peebles vs. Harvest Prep (Regional Semi)

Fatlight78
Waterboy

Re: Peebles vs. Harvest Prep (Regional Semi)

Post by Fatlight78 »

And honestly I think peebles was the better team talent wise!!! Just wasn't used to the pace or the big cause leaping ability. Why doesn't peebles schedule those teams during the regular season to get them ready for that I think peebles will be back in that same position next year !

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

Same story, different year for Peebles and Trimble. It would have been great to see the two southern Ohio teams matched up in the first game of the Regional instead of the way it was this year. Division III is like that this year, with Portsmouth and Ironton playing each other and the winner advancing to the finals. Division IV didn't get the luck of the draw this year in that regard.
Teams from this part of the state playing the private, (basically Division I talent) from Columbus will not get past them very often. That's why the good teams in Columbus jump at the chance to come to the Southeast for the Regional.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Indian fan wrote:Nice to see justice was still best player on the floor!!!!
I would rather have the best TEAM on the floor than the best player. Obviously, he is a great scorer and probably a great kid as well, but it seems that all you hear about is scoring records and individual accolades and not TEAM accomplishments. Even with the jjhuddle nomination for POY, could have easily been a nomination for Peebles as TEAM of the year, but that was not the case. Glad to see that you did say later that you thought Peebles was the best team as well, but it just seems that you hear much, much more about individual stats than team records for the Indians.

Congrats on a great season by the TEAM!

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

4th n Goal wrote:
I would rather have the best TEAM on the floor than the best player. Obviously, he is a great scorer and probably a great kid as well, but it seems that all you hear about is scoring records and individual accolades and not TEAM accomplishments. Even with the jjhuddle nomination for POY, could have easily been a nomination for Peebles as TEAM of the year, but that was not the case. Glad to see that you did say later that you thought Peebles was the best team as well, but it just seems that you hear much, much more about individual stats than team records for the Indians.

I agree with this. I couldn't help but notice SEVERAL Peebles people wearing some shirt says "2000 points and still going" or something like that.. Why so much focus on the individual? He is a great, great player. One of the best in SE Ohio the last two years. But shouldn't they be stressing shirts about "LEAGUE CHAMPS" or "DISTRICT CHAMPS" or something along those lines?

I remember the Aldridge kid at South Webster scoring 2000+ points and there wasn't a single person wearing a shirt about that. It was always SOC, DISTRICT, REGIONAL, or STATE CHAMPS.

Congrats to Peebles on a good season.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

D4hero wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:

I agree with this. I couldn't help but notice SEVERAL Peebles people wearing some shirt says "2000 points and still going" or something like that.. Why so much focus on the individual? He is a great, great player. One of the best in SE Ohio the last two years. But shouldn't they be stressing shirts about "LEAGUE CHAMPS" or "DISTRICT CHAMPS" or something along those lines?

I remember the Aldridge kid at South Webster scoring 2000+ points and there wasn't a single person wearing a shirt about that. It was always SOC, DISTRICT, REGIONAL, or STATE CHAMPS.

Congrats to Peebles on a good season.
I also saw "Beau Knows" and several others that just had the #12 on them. It's pretty surreal to see the rest of the team ignored on some of those shirts.

Great season for Justice and the rest of the Indians.

Fatlight78
Waterboy

Post by Fatlight78 »

You guys are great peebles packs out the gym all game and it hasn't been just the last 4 yrs or even when they've been good Peebles fans are loyal and next yr when beau is gone the gym will still be packed and if u guys were paying attention all that well there was plenty of district champion ship t shirts and FYI peebles will be a team that people won't wanna play cause they will be tuff to beat.. And the whole town of peebles will still be at every game.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Indian fan wrote:You guys are great peebles packs out the gym all game and it hasn't been just the last 4 yrs or even when they've been good Peebles fans are loyal and next yr when beau is gone the gym will still be packed and if u guys were paying attention all that well there was plenty of district champion ship t shirts and FYI peebles will be a team that people won't wanna play cause they will be tuff to beat.. And the whole town of peebles will still be at every game.
Nobody is disputing the fan loyalty or anything else about the community support. As with many small communities when there are big games, the town shuts down while everyone goes to the Convo or wherever the game may be. It just appears to many people outside the community that MUCH more attention was put on the invididual records than the team accomplishments. Nothing more, nothing less...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

He's a good high school player but there are a few players better in SEO

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Jay Bruce wrote:Same story, different year for Peebles and Trimble. It would have been great to see the two southern Ohio teams matched up in the first game of the Regional instead of the way it was this year. Division III is like that this year, with Portsmouth and Ironton playing each other and the winner advancing to the finals. Division IV didn't get the luck of the draw this year in that regard.
Teams from this part of the state playing the private, (basically Division I talent) from Columbus will not get past them very often. That's why the good teams in Columbus jump at the chance to come to the Southeast for the Regional.
In baseball, volleyball, & girls basketball the champions of the two districts/sub-regionals that comprise Central District D IV in the round of sixteen. It has been that way in baseball & girls basketball for a while. Don't know about volleyball.

Up until last year, boys basketball was a similar deal.

My theory as to why OHSAA splits the matchups for the Athens Regional for D IV boys may raise eyebrows, but I think it's a solid one. Generally speaking, OHSAA and its tournament organizers try and scope who the likely top couple teams in each sub-region ahead of time are. With Harvest Prep & Africentric being far and away the two best teams in Central D4 (the next tier of teams are also pretty good, but don't skirt the rules like HP & Africentric do), it's generally assumed they'll make it to the round of sixteen with ease. Africentric will never bring a lot of fans, HP barely brings many either. A r/o 16 game on a *weeknight* that is only going to bring probably 50 fans combined between the two schools (I'm not factoring in a Harvest Prep spirit bus filled with middle schoolers into this equation) is NOT an economic way to go about hosting a game at OU this deep into the state tournament. Now on a Friday or Saturday night, those schools will bring more fans, but still not a whole lot. If you put the two SEO schools that come from areas where the whole village will shut down to trek to the Convocation Center in regional semi-final / round of 16 games against HP and Africentric, then more tickets will be sold. The more games that have SEO county schools in them, the more casual SEO fans will show up and those fans make a significant impact themselves. So two round of 16 games with SEO teams with the potential for an all SEO round of eight game is a lot more appealing economically than an all SEO round of 16 game, an HP/Africentric round of 16 game, and a round of eight game with one of the teams being an HP/Africentric.

I'm really in the school of thought that should Africentric move up to D3 and/or something happens to Harvest Prep, that we'll go back to seeing an all SEO round of 16 game because when it was like that way a few years ago (back when Africentric was D3 and Harvest was banned) the teams that reaped those spoils and won districts were teams such as Newark Catholic, FCA, Danville - teams that bring a ton more fans than HP & Africentric would combined.

tl;dr - if you guys want to see a Central District D4 round of 16 and a purely Southeast District D4 round of 16 game, then start praying for some divine intervention that either Africentric moves up and/or something happens to Harvest Prep so that Newark Catholic, FCA, Fisher Cath, GCC etc end up being the top-dogs in Central District because those schools will bring healthy crowds no matter what day of the week.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Indian fan wrote:You guys are great peebles packs out the gym all game and it hasn't been just the last 4 yrs or even when they've been good Peebles fans are loyal and next yr when beau is gone the gym will still be packed and if u guys were paying attention all that well there was plenty of district champion ship t shirts and FYI peebles will be a team that people won't wanna play cause they will be tuff to beat.. And the whole town of peebles will still be at every game.
Peebles was 2-19 in 2006 man and trust me the fans were hard to find that year, stands were bare, the whole town definitely wasn't there. I am sure the stands will be packed next year, not as, but still packed because Peebles will still be good next year! Every school takes their turn in the Barrel.. Look at North Adams, always had an unbelievable crowd! they kept it going for a couple years even when the teams weren't producing but even they have slacked off. The people in 96 came out in unbelievable amounts for the NA show to watch them and Nathan Copas. People like to root for a team that's winning. It doesn't make Peebles any more or less loyal than anyone else just the facts. That being said I do think Peebles recognized the team as a whole but the whole Beau saga and the record breaking would be hard not to get caught up in and place emphasis on. Especially for the kids, Beau seems to be great with the kids and kids love having a hero. It is what it is. Upper Sandusky had a lot of this going on with Diebler. It is special. Peebles showed great support this year for the team but I don't remember seeing that many people at the girls games or in 2006 which is the same way it would go for every program. They did what any program would do, they were good and people wanted to be apart of it so more people came. When Peebles isn't as good less people will come. It is simple logic. Peebles showed great community support this year. It is easy to do when you have a 1 loss team and a 2000 point scorer. A lot of the people that came out were just basketball fans! People who wanted to witness something special. Same people will show up in three years at whatever school when the next great player/team comes about but I would say it will be awhile before we see another Beau Justice.

..................and that my friends, is the UGLY TRUTH!!!!

Fatlight78
Waterboy

Post by Fatlight78 »

theuglytruth wrote:
Peebles was 2-19 in 2006 man and trust me the fans were hard to find that year, stands were bare, the whole town definitely wasn't there. I am sure the stands will be packed next year, not as, but still packed because Peebles will still be good next year! Every school takes their turn in the Barrel.. Look at North Adams, always had an unbelievable crowd! they kept it going for a couple years even when the teams weren't producing but even they have slacked off. The people in 96 came out in unbelievable amounts for the NA show to watch them and Nathan Copas. People like to root for a team that's winning. It doesn't make Peebles any more or less loyal than anyone else just the facts. That being said I do think Peebles recognized the team as a whole but the whole Beau saga and the record breaking would be hard not to get caught up in and place emphasis on. Especially for the kids, Beau seems to be great with the kids and kids love having a hero. It is what it is. Upper Sandusky had a lot of this going on with Diebler. It is special. Peebles showed great support this year for the team but I don't remember seeing that many people at the girls games or in 2006 which is the same way it would go for every program. They did what any program would do, they were good and people wanted to be apart of it so more people came. When Peebles isn't as good less people will come. It is simple logic. Peebles showed great community support this year. It is easy to do when you have a 1 loss team and a 2000 point scorer. A lot of the people that came out were just basketball fans! People who wanted to witness something special. Same people will show up in three years at whatever school when the next great player/team comes about but I would say it will be awhile before we see another Beau Justice.

sir did I say anything about anyone else's fan base this is a peebles topic and u must of not went to many Northadams games this yr cause there fans still packed the gym that being said Everyone in peebles Knows that beau justice couldnt of done what he done without the players he had beside him but that being said he made the team he's our super star without justice dout we would of been where we would of been last night he doesn't get all the credit and u guys don't see what happens outside of a game all the Peebles Indians players know there loved and not jus saying peebles is the only one doing this.. justice had done something the last 3 yrs that the fan base of peebles has never seen before and what's wrong with him getting praise for that... He has worked his butt off I'm sure since he could dribble a basketball... And he deserves every drop of the attention he's getting.

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

The ugly truth you are right on the money.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

For half the game last night it seemed like any player other than Justice was afraid to even handle the ball. Does he get a lot of attention? Yes. When you score 2000 points that kinda happens. Not to mention he is one of the most unselfish "stars" I have seen in quite sometime. If a man is open he is a more than willing passer. Seems like Peebles fans are a little jealous of Mr Justice. I say you should've enjoyed the ride because you won't see a player like that for quite sometime. I for one love watching Peebles play because they do play as a team. Their starting 5 was very talented. Someone asked me about Justice the other day and I said yeah he's tough but they are more than just Beau. Congratulations to Peebles for an incredible year. It's always a joy watching your team at the Convo

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

RAIDER6309 wrote:He's a good high school player but there are a few players better in SEO
Name them? quicker...yes, More athletic..yes, Fundamentals no, Smarter he** no, Taller..yes, Shooting...hear me laughing and no, BETTER ....doubtful. Ugly truth is spreading the truth like butter on a hot biscuit.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

blackcobra1 wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:He's a good high school player but there are a few players better in SEO
Name them? quicker...yes, More athletic..yes, Fundamentals no, Smarter he** no, Taller..yes, Shooting...hear me laughing and no, BETTER ....doubtful. Ugly truth is spreading the truth like butter on a hot biscuit.
Ill have some of what Raider is smoking. There were better teams than Peebles in the district this year but there is no question Beau was the best player.

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

Tribemaniac10. I agree I am not from Peebles as a matter a fact I am a county rival fan. I have to say he was a pleasure to watch. I hope he plays well in the all star games so he can show all the haters that he can do it against some of the best in Ohio & Kentucky.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Indian fan wrote:
theuglytruth wrote:

sir did I say anything about anyone else's fan base this is a peebles topic and u must of not went to many Northadams games this yr cause there fans still packed the gym that being said Everyone in peebles Knows that beau justice couldnt of done what he done without the players he had beside him but that being said he made the team he's our super star without justice dout we would of been where we would of been last night he doesn't get all the credit and u guys don't see what happens outside of a game all the Peebles Indians players know there loved and not jus saying peebles is the only one doing this.. justice had done something the last 3 yrs that the fan base of peebles has never seen before and what's wrong with him getting praise for that... He has worked his butt off I'm sure since he could dribble a basketball... And he deserves every drop of the attention he's getting.
Did you even read my post? There was no knock on peebles. Our definitions of north Adams packing the gym must be very different. They had to close the doors for the NA/eastern games on more than one occasion. Great season Peebles, great career Beau.

Fatlight78
Waterboy

Post by Fatlight78 »

thebull wrote:Tribemaniac10. I agree I am not from Peebles as a matter a fact I am a county rival fan. I have to say he was a pleasure to watch. I hope he plays well in the all star games so he can show all the haters that he can do it against some of the best in Ohio & Kentucky.
When and where is this game ?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Indian fan wrote:
thebull wrote:Tribemaniac10. I agree I am not from Peebles as a matter a fact I am a county rival fan. I have to say he was a pleasure to watch. I hope he plays well in the all star games so he can show all the haters that he can do it against some of the best in Ohio & Kentucky.
When and where is this game ?
Friday April 10th at 7pm. The game will be at Thomas More College near Covington, KY. Blake and Treg played in the game 3 years ago as well and I was impressed with the level of talent they were able to bring in. Trey Burke (Utah Jazz) and Travis Trice (Michigan State) were just two of the many D1 players participating.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

ugly, I saw north adams play an away league game late in the season and they didn't bring many people. the shl plays great basketball with great fan support especially when they are winning. the league seems to run in cycles as far as the talent level. which teams will be the favorites in each division next season? which team has gone the longest without winning a division championship? getting to the final four is getting harder because of the small Columbus schools being able to recruit from the entire city of Columbus.

Return to “Boys Basketball”