Division III Cincinnati Purcell removed from Tournament

bsee12345
Varsity

Division III Cincinnati Purcell removed from Tournament

Post by bsee12345 »

Cincinnati Purcell was removed from Division III Regional Semi Finals for using an ineligible player in sectional. The player was in the last 1:50 of 71-51 Purcell win over Blanchester.
Versailles, which lost to Purcell in District Finals, will now play Cincinnati Shroder on Thursday night in Regional Semi Finals.
This is the 2nd team removed from basketball tournament. Cleveland East Tech girls were removed for playing 23 Regular season games when the limit is 22.

OICU812
Varsity

Re: Division III Cincinnati Purcell removed from Tournament

Post by OICU812 »

This is nothing other than pure stupidity! You have to ask yourself why!

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

Nice to see the OHSAA 'police' were on this case quickly. Good for Versailles.

Utterly stupid on Purcell's part. AD needs shipped out.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

How is it Purcell's fault? The athlete that transferred didn't say he played for the other school. The other school told Purcell he didn't play there. Purcell waited 11 games and in the tournament played him at the end of the game they were u by 30 in. Said he played 1 minute and 50 seconds the entire season. i feel bad for the whole community of Purcell.
Ohsaa just better hope Versailles loses or it will turn into a media nightmare

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

Something is not adding up here though.

Before the tournament, AD's and Coaches at each school must send in a roster to the OHSAA. OHSAA then checks those names, and sends out an eligibility sheet. The eligibility sheet is then turned into the SECTIONAL and carried forward from there.

For this to happen, either this young man wasn't even on the eligibility sheet and they STILL tried to play him. Or, the OHSAA hiccuped and screwed this one up.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Well, I am confused, which is easy to be. I thought 50% rule was sit 11 games then you are ok. Am I missing something?

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

Regulator wrote:Well, I am confused, which is easy to be. I thought 50% rule was sit 11 games then you are ok. Am I missing something?

The player moved in DURING the season, around Christmas break. That rule typically applies to players who move in out of season. That's where the confusion is.

Here is an article with a little more detail:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /24972253/

This particular quote by the coach bothers me.. "Assume." Don't "assume." LOOK INTO IT!

"We assumed as a transfer that he sits out his 11 games and becomes eligible," Kerr said. "That's normal transfer policy."

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

If a player plays in a game, he has to move 50 miles to play at another school that season. Just an odd situation since Purcell was given false information on a player that only played 1 minute in a 30 pt blow out after the 11 games. the parents and the other school said he didn't play. Purcell knew the rules but we're given false information. They broke the rules but harsh on the kids because this had zero effect on Purcell being better than Versailles and it looks like Versailles turned them in

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

There's no mention of who turned them in. It's up to them to do their homework.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

Rules are rules and you can't bend, break or otherwise make exemptions because someone didn't ask the "right" questions. I find it odd a kid would transfer mid-season and have the cajones to ask the coach for a chance to play on his team and the coach didn't ask a series of questions. I find it equally odd the AD/coach didn't/doesn't know transfer rules. Not knowing is not a defense. I'm not buying any of the story and I believe for once OSHAA got it right. I do, however, hate it for the kids playing. They rely on adults making adult decisions to get it right. They were failed in this instance and they paid the price. Valuable life lesson all the same! Whatever you choose to do in life know the rules, SOPs, instructions, etc....Be the darn expert so you don't/won't let others down!

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

D4hero wrote:Something is not adding up here though.

Before the tournament, AD's and Coaches at each school must send in a roster to the OHSAA. OHSAA then checks those names, and sends out an eligibility sheet. The eligibility sheet is then turned into the SECTIONAL and carried forward from there.

For this to happen, either this young man wasn't even on the eligibility sheet and they STILL tried to play him. Or, the OHSAA hiccuped and screwed this one up.

Eligibility sheets are filled out by the school and given to tournament managers to check against the roster and scorebook. They do NOT go to the OHSAA until the State Final Four. By signing the form the school is "stating" that all players are eligible according to the rules. The OHSAA has nothing to do with the eligibility forms and cannot possibly check up at the beginning of the tournament of all 800+ schools.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

In an article in today's Cincinnati paper, the player, his parents, and Purcell were all told that, since he had played in a game at Cristo Rey, his eligibility at Purcell might be in question.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Here is the article that mikepike was referencing..

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /25035111/

The blame game continues.. But honestly, sounds to me like Purcell are the ones who screwed up and then tried to lie about it..

Return to “Boys Basketball”