Warren vs St Vincent St Mary ?

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: Warren vs St Vincent St Mary ?

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Warren did not play bad at all. ASVSM is too darn good. Wow! Nick Wells is arguably their fourth best player and he is a stud, big, strong kid with a great shooting touch. My goodness he was impressive. And then you look, there is V.J. King, Jalen Hudson, and that little #4, wow! It is time to even the playing field. Which brings me to my next point, kudos to the student section starting the "We are public" chant near the end of the game. The powers to be at the OHSAA need to hear that and hear it often.

Congratulations to Coach Maddox and the Warriors on a fine season.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Not surprising on the Akron crowd. Most private schools or inner city school bring hardly anyone to any tournament games. Great year Warren

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Warren did not play bad at all. ASVSM is too darn good. Wow! Nick Wells is arguably their fourth best player and he is a stud, big, strong kid with a great shooting touch. My goodness he was impressive. And then you look, there is V.J. King, Jalen Hudson, and that little #4, wow! It is time to even the playing field. Which brings me to my next point, kudos to the student section starting the "We are public" chant near the end of the game. The powers to be at the OHSAA need to hear that and hear it often.

Anyone else find a striking resemblence between Wells and Johnny Lawrence, from the original Karate Kid movie? Fun player to watch - constantly moving without the ball and tough with the ball.

I don't get into the Public vs. Private debate often - it kind of sounds like sour grapes, especially when you play that card after a loss. However, I couldn't help but find the vast demographic discrepancy between the ASVSM student crowd and the ASVSM basketball team to be hilarious.

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Was at the game to support the SE District team.. Warren just couldn't match-up.. it is one thing to be taller but to also be quicker, it has you scratching your head as a coach.. Akron SVSM is a complete team with many threats so it was not a disgrace to lose to them.. be proud Warrior nation..we outsiders thank you for keeping us interested in the DANCE until the last weekend... your coach, your team and your fans represented yourselves with class and dignity..you have a right to be proud.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go Blue

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

enigmaax wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:Warren did not play bad at all. ASVSM is too darn good. Wow! Nick Wells is arguably their fourth best player and he is a stud, big, strong kid with a great shooting touch. My goodness he was impressive. And then you look, there is V.J. King, Jalen Hudson, and that little #4, wow! It is time to even the playing field. Which brings me to my next point, kudos to the student section starting the "We are public" chant near the end of the game. The powers to be at the OHSAA need to hear that and hear it often.

Anyone else find a striking resemblence between Wells and Johnny Lawrence, from the original Karate Kid movie? Fun player to watch - constantly moving without the ball and tough with the ball.

I don't get into the Public vs. Private debate often - it kind of sounds like sour grapes, especially when you play that card after a loss. However, I couldn't help but find the vast demographic discrepancy between the ASVSM student crowd and the ASVSM basketball team to be hilarious.
I understand what you are saying. However, my rub or peeve is that you seen a major discrepancy in talent level. What you may be missing is that, Warren, a public school, will never bear and raise that kind of talent in a four year cycle. Where, ASVSM, has that kind of talent coming to their doors, annually, because they are a selective enrollment school. Furthermore, the school itself can control its enrollment, thus, determining the division in which they play. Now, you can call it sour grapes, that is fine, but I have no dog in this particular fight, and secondly, facts are facts. One school bears and raises its own youth, the other has innate recruiting dynamic (the lure of quality education, solid sporting contenders on the regional and state levels, and an impressive list of alumni). One school has take those that live within their district, the other does not, its selects its students. And that my friend is inherently unfair.

Yes, he did look like Johnny Lawrence.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Well said Hawkeyepierce !!!!

It is just a fact on how the system works.

Something needs to be done.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

I want to agree, but I cant. Yes, I agree we all need to play by the same rules. Public vs private maybe a dead horse topic. No, I dont agree that a public school cant beat a private school. One thing I do know is whether you think you can, or think you cant, you are right.

Warren just over came several obsticals! We are gonna over come more in the future. We may not have an easy time getting back, but if we can keep moving foreward......The skys the limit!

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

hawkeyepierce wrote: I understand what you are saying. However, my rub or peeve is that you seen a major discrepancy in talent level. What you may be missing is that, Warren, a public school, will never bear and raise that kind of talent in a four year cycle. Where, ASVSM, has that kind of talent coming to their doors, annually, because they are a selective enrollment school. Furthermore, the school itself can control its enrollment, thus, determining the division in which they play. Now, you can call it sour grapes, that is fine, but I have no dog in this particular fight, and secondly, facts are facts. One school bears and raises its own youth, the other has innate recruiting dynamic (the lure of quality education, solid sporting contenders on the regional and state levels, and an impressive list of alumni). One school has take those that live within their district, the other does not, its selects its students. And that my friend is inherently unfair.

Yes, he did look like Johnny Lawrence.
No, I'm not missing anything. I absolutely agree that there isn't a level playing field. But that is life. I don't begrudge the players/families who choose to seek out the best possible situation for their priorities - at ASVSM, they don't even really try to hide the focus on athletics. I am in favor of separate championship tournaments for public and private schools.

My only point about the complaining is that we are a willing participant in the system with full knowledge of our own disadvantages. I don't like using the system as a measuring stick until you lose and then complaining about it being unfair and directing negativity toward the opponent, that's all. You specifically applauded our crowd's chant about public schooling. I thought it was misdirected and unnecessary. Warren had everything to be proud of, had already earned respect, and thus, didn't need to make excuses.

Public schools make up the majority of the OHSAA. They certainly have the option of changing the format, branching off on their own, or boycotting the organization.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

OHSAA today promoted a new "mutiplyier system" that will add enrollment to PRIVATES that have students from outside the district. Possibly forcing a team to play in a higher division.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... lance.html

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

I find it funny that OHSAA said they have been working on this for months. I played in a state championship in 1982 and we got beat by a private school that recruited. This has been going on for over 30 years and they have done nothing to correct it. The only reason they are going to do anything now is because Wayne County put the pressure on them and they were afraid of losing money.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

WarriorBlue wrote:OHSAA today promoted a new "mutiplyier system" that will add enrollment to PRIVATES that have students from outside the district. Possibly forcing a team to play in a higher division.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... lance.html

GO BIG BAD BLUE!
I don't believe this is a solution at all. DI schools aren't going to get any bigger, so you still have an advantage at that level for private schools. I'll use my local as an example for the lower divisions. Let's say Newark Catholic happens to move up from DIV to DIII. Okay, so Waterford might miss out on some of the better private schools, but Fort Frye now has to deal with private schools moving up and out of the smallest enrollment. Does it make it any more "fair" for the next division up?

The issue isn't about an enrollment number, but about the specific students who are enrolled.

A couple other things - this formula would apply both to private schools AND public schools with open enrollment. Having one kid move across a border still isn't anything like having your pick to build a 12-man roster. Maybe one kid won't make a difference, which also points out - how many schools will this actually affect? I mean, if you are at the bottom of enrollment in a division but have five move-ins just for basketball, you aren't going to move up a division anyway.

And finally, how will they define the area for a private school. Using Newark Catholic as an example again, Newark is a pretty big place from which to draw kids. I don't know the make up of their roster, but could they swipe the five best kids from Newark High School and not have a multiplier at all? Again, that doesn't address the ability to pick and choose, it only addresses a bottom line number.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Bottom line, the current system is not fair and it is not a fair representation of Ohio high schools. For example, selective enrollment make up about 22% of the total number of schools in Ohio; however, since 1970 selective enrollment schools have slightly more than 50% of the state championships in the sport of football alone. Moreover, that does not include the selective enrollment schools that were eliminated in the semi-finals or in the regionals. Why? Because selective enrollment schools can DETERMINE their own enrollment, public schools CANNOT. Furthermore, how does a tuition-based school like ASVSM enroll a student of a lesser than adequate socio-economic status? Answer, through community outreach and scholarship programs. What is the determining criteria? Well, lets answer that question with a question. Do you think if LeBron James (a child of a single-parent, who received governmental assistance) was 5'9" and play no sports would be afforded the same opportunities as 6'8" God given talented LeBron James? No, is the most likely the answer.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

It seems to me it would bring in more $ if private schools had their own division. If you had four final four teams with the followers that Warren has thats some spendin cash. Private schools really dont have that....their nights might not do so well.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

Heard today on the state final broadcast that of the 16 schools that made it to the state tournament, Warren sold the MOST tickets! Congrats WARRIOR NATION just like our team our fans stood tall and proud! Next years motto "UNFINISHED BUSINESS" We got a taste of it next year finish what was started years ago by a lot of very good Warrior basketball teams!

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”